PDA

View Full Version : Why are we clearing space for '08?

Please_dont_ban_me
07-21-2006, 01:01 AM
It's not like we'd have a max contract available to bring in a big-name guy.

We're saving a whole bunch of money to bring in a whole bunch of role players? Why not just sign role players now. With Manu/TD/TP's contracts I don't think we're getting a KG/Tmac/Lebron/Melo anytime soon.

I don't get it...I"m sure there's a good reason why the Spurs FO is doing it. But I don't know it.

timvp
07-21-2006, 01:02 AM
You are about a month late with this thread.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-21-2006, 01:03 AM
You are about a month late with this thread.

Ban me.

El_Mago
07-21-2006, 01:06 AM
Why?

Because look at our roster.....Barry will be too old, Bowen will be on the decline, Finley probably won't be here, Elson won't be here, Oberto won't be here....Bonner and Williams won't be here......

Thats our time to inject some youth into our ball club, bring in our over-seas talent, basically reload for Duncan's last couple of years of dominance......in 2010, thats when we make the real move to land a Superstar with nearly 30 million dollars in cap space.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-21-2006, 01:08 AM
Duncan won't be dominant in 2010, in my opinion.

Same with Manu.

By then, you'll be looking to put guys around Tony Parker. The problem is, San Antonio itself doesn't attract big name stars, and not many players want to play for a team with a PG who is a shoot-first type of player.

I would not be surprised if we turn into the Bulls post-Jordan/Pippin/Jackson once Manu/Tim retire.

El_Mago
07-21-2006, 01:15 AM
Duncan won't be dominant in 2010, in my opinion.

You have no clue about basketball.

Tim Duncan is not Amare Stoudemire or Kevin Garnet who just dunk's or shoots jump shots.

Tim Duncan is a finese big man with outstanding fundamental skills. He will not rely on athleticism to dominate....ala Amare.

Like most great big men Duncan will only get better with time. He has taken care of his body, plays the post, and like I said is all about finese.

Hakeem won MVP, DPOY, and led the Rockets to the finals and won at the age of 34.

Shaquile O'Neal started his Laker domination in his early thirties, and just captured his 4th ring in his mid thirties.

Even a PF, like Malone played to his 40's and was still very effective.

Duncan is in a league with those players. Just because he will be a bit older...his style of game will still allow him to dominate.....he's that damn good.

El_Mago
07-21-2006, 01:18 AM
By the way:

Parker, Butler, Ian Mahinmi, and possibly Viktor Sanikidze (who I believe is still 20 or under) are the future prospects of this team....along with Duncan to hold down the ship around that 2010 time frame.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-21-2006, 01:18 AM

Tim Duncan is not Amare Stoudemire or Kevin Garnet who just dunk's or shoots jump shots.

Tim Duncan is a finese big man with outstanding fundamental skills. He will not rely on athleticism to dominate....ala Amare.

Like most great big men Duncan will only get better with time. He has taken care of his body, plays the post, and like I said is all about finese.

Hakeem won MVP, DPOY, and led the Rockets to the finals and won at the age of 34.

Shaquile O'Neal started his Laker domination in his early thirties, and just captured his 4th ring in his mid thirties.

Duncan is in a league with those players. Just because he will be a bit older...his style of game will still allow him to dominate.....he's that damn good.

You are a basketball fucking genius. Here's your cookie.

I said Duncan won't be dominant, not he won't be good. He'll be good until he retires, but this team is alread moving away from him and by 2010 we'll be well into bringing in the new era and Duncan will do for the team what David did for the Spurs in the years before he retired. He wasn't dominant.

:rolleyes

Fucking people who feel the need to be condescending to make there point, I swear. Just say what you think, if you think he'll be dominant say that. Why do you have to turn it into "you know nothing about basketball". :rolleyes

Please_dont_ban_me
07-21-2006, 01:20 AM
By the way:

Parker, Butler, Ian Mahinmi, and possibly Viktor Sanikidze (who I believe is still 20 or under) are the future prospects of this team....along with Duncan to hold down the ship around that 2010 time frame.

Great.

A guy who might work out, but is no guarantee at all...a guy who gets eaten up by Sheldon Williams in Summer Camp...and a guy who wasn't even at the Spurs summer camp.

That's your future for the Spurs? :elephant You know a lot about basketball.

El_Mago
07-21-2006, 01:23 AM
2010 we'll be well into bringing in the new era and Duncan will do for the team what David did for the Spurs in the years before he retired.

David Robinson was never as good as Tim Duncan basketball wise, so I expect more from Tim....especially when 2010 rolls around. Duncan will still have far more game than Robinson had.

David Robinson had better athleticism than Duncan, but that was shot when he hurt his back and never recovered. Duncan does not rely on athleticism, nor on jump shooting like what a good portion of David's game was.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-21-2006, 01:27 AM
David Robinson was never as good as Tim Duncan basketball wise, so I expect more from Tim....especially when 2010 rolls around. Duncan will still have far more game than Robinson had.

David Robinson had better athleticism than Duncan, but that was shot when he hurt his back and never recovered. Duncan does not rely on athleticism, nor on jump shooting like what a good portion of David's game was.

You still need athleticism.

His fade away jumpshots. His defense at the rim. His running the floor. All these things deteriorate with age. I'm not saying he will suck, but I am saying he won't be dominant like he has been in recent years.

El_Mago
07-21-2006, 01:31 AM
A guy who might work out, but is no guarantee at all...a guy who gets eaten up by Sheldon Williams in Summer Camp...and a guy who wasn't even at the Spurs summer camp.

Butler? Coach Larry Brown who rarely plays young players....especially kid's who came out of highschool.....considered Butler the best Center in New York....Larry knows talent......the Spurs feel comfortable and feel Butler has proven himself to earn a contract from them....thats good enough for me.

Ian is still 19 years old, has only been playing ball for like 4-5 years, the Spurs feel they have a future star in him....they know talent.....thats good enough for me.

Sanikidze....was not in Summer League....whats that supposed to mean, he's not good enough? You probably wouldn't even know why.....maybe because he already spent enough time here with the team (almost half a year), and the Spurs already know what they have in him. Plus, he has another engagement...the U20 European Championships.....

Next......

Please_dont_ban_me
07-21-2006, 01:41 AM
Butler? Coach Larry Brown who rarely plays young players....especially kid's who came out of highschool.....considered Butler the best Center in New York....Larry knows talent......the Spurs feel comfortable and feel Butler has proven himself to earn a contract from them....thats good enough for me.

Ian is still 19 years old, has only been playing ball for like 4-5 years, the Spurs feel they have a future star in him....they know talent.....thats good enough for me.

Sanikidze....was not in Summer League....whats that supposed to mean, he's not good enough? You probably wouldn't even know why.....maybe because he already spent enough time here with the team (almost half a year), and the Spurs already know what they have in him. Plus, he has another engagement...the U20 European Championships.....

Next......

Being better than Jerome James and Eddy Curry isn't saying too much.

I'm not sure what kind of superstar gets schooled by Sheldon Williams, but I guess we'll see. I'm guessing the Spurs have a contingency plan. I sure as hell hope so.

As for Sandizke, you're right I don't know. I try not to base our teams future on summer league prospects.

Next...

El_Mago
07-21-2006, 01:54 AM
I don't get it...I"m sure there's a good reason why the Spurs FO is doing it. But I don't know it.

Butler, Ian, Sanikidze.....Duncan, Manu, and Parker.....

Plain and simple, the Spurs feel these "projects" are going to be the future of this ball club.

Parker, Duncan, and Gino....all signed through 2010, and will still have lots of game in them.

The Spurs expect Ian Mahini to be here in 2 years, and he will be signed to his rookie contract, which does not make a huge dent on the 08 plan.

If Butler becomes a stud, the Spurs have the third year option to pick up and that does not affect the 08 drastically.

If they feel Sanikidze is ready to come along with Ian, he will come cheap too.....

Therefore, the Spurs feel they have the three stars down....and some good young youth who have the potential to shine just like Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker shined when they came from Europe.....if that plan unfolds the way they envision......then they will have the salary in 08' and bring in some good quality players to make more runs at titles....because the title contention roster that we have now....will be too old and done with......

In 2010, nearly 30 million come off the books with Duncan and Manu....once again, they can reload, and make another run, if those "projects" don't pan out.....

T Park
07-21-2006, 02:11 AM
Need room to resign guys like Sanikidze and Javtokas.

Second round picks who you don't have bird rights too.

El_Mago
07-21-2006, 02:25 AM
With Barry's and Horry's contracts alone...those equate to 13 million dollars.

If you throw in Bruces' and Beno's team options....that gives you 18 million dollars.

If Oberto and Finley pick up their options for the 07 season...thats 23 million dollars.

Believe me, the Spurs will have plenty of cash to offer for their second round pick's and still get good NBA quality off of free agency.

T Park
07-21-2006, 02:26 AM
Thats probobly the point.....

AFE7FATMAN
07-21-2006, 02:32 AM

Next......

excellent post

ChumpDumper
07-21-2006, 02:50 AM
We're moving to Anaheim in '08.

Don't you guys no anything?

T Park
07-21-2006, 02:54 AM
:lol

Or St Louis.

Or Louisville.

blaze89
07-21-2006, 06:45 AM
Or Nashville.

Doc Jerome
07-21-2006, 07:08 AM
By the time all of this overseas so-called talent gets to San Antonio, they will be well versed in how to play euroleague style basketball and spend a whole season and a half getting dominated physically in the NBA. That's a great plan with an old Duncan and brittle Manu. I sure hope TP can hit a consistent jump shot by then. Perhaps Bruce will injest enough geritol to be equivalent to the fountain of youth and keep him at 35.

Who knows? We're all projecting. But, stay tuned. :fro

greywheel
07-21-2006, 07:29 AM
Has anyone mentioned the possibility that the Spurs may be setting up to retool the roster and make some longer signings right before the television deals are reworked. Kinda like to a reverse-Lebron.
Sounds very Holt-like.

El_Mago
07-21-2006, 12:40 PM
Euroleague style basketball and spend a whole season and a half getting dominated physically in the NBA.

Just like when 19 year old Tony Parker did....

Just like Manu did when he first arrived....

Yawn....

pache100
07-21-2006, 12:50 PM
Fucking people who feel the need to be condescending to make there point, I swear. Just say what you think, if you think he'll be dominant say that. Why do you have to turn it into "you know nothing about basketball". :rolleyes

in the same post with

You are a basketball fucking genius. Here's your cookie. :rolleyes

and then...

Great.

Ay-yi-yi...unbelievable. :madrun

El_Mago
07-21-2006, 12:52 PM
:rollin

pache100
07-21-2006, 12:53 PM
:lol

Or St Louis.

Or Louisville.

Oklahoma City...they want three teams. :lol

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-21-2006, 01:50 PM
Great.

For someone with as much knowledge about basketball as you try to imply with this comment, I'm surprised you haven't grasped the concept of Ian adding some weight to the point that Shelden can't outmuscle him for position.

That, or you're not as smart as you think you are.

Beer is Good
07-21-2006, 02:14 PM
in the same post with

and then...

:tu :tu :tu

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-21-2006, 02:45 PM
At least when Ghostwriter would start a stupid thread he had enough savvy to back up whatever his arguments were which made for interesting reading.

PDBM tries his best to imitate GW's style, knowingly or not, but he lacks the skillz to back it up.

If GW was George Gervin, PDBM would be Gee.....with a career ending knee injury...playing with only one hand...in the snow...on Pluto.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-21-2006, 02:57 PM
in the same post with

and then...

This is true.

I shouldn't have stooped to his level. But it was more sarcasm imitating his posts, rather than me unknowingly doing what I just criticized him for doing.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-21-2006, 02:59 PM
At least when Ghostwriter would start a stupid thread he had enough savvy to back up whatever his arguments were which made for interesting reading.

PDBM tries his best to imitate GW's style, knowingly or not, but he lacks the skillz to back it up.

If GW was George Gervin, PDBM would be Gee.....with a career ending knee injury...playing with only one hand...in the snow...on Pluto.

I remember Ghost Writer from back in my Spermreport days, and vaguely remember his "posting style". But I'm in no way trying to imitate it...but I'm flattered you'd mention me in the same breath as a ST legend.

El_Mago
07-21-2006, 03:00 PM
It's all good PDBM.

It's a new day, water under the bridge, I take back the comment.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-21-2006, 03:00 PM
I remember Ghost Writer from back in my Spermreport days, and vaguely remember his "posting style". But I'm in no way trying to imitate it...but I'm flattered you'd mention me in the same breath as a ST legend.

Sure. My pleasure.

Doc Jerome
07-21-2006, 06:08 PM
Just like when 19 year old Tony Parker did....

Just like Manu did when he first arrived....

Yawn....

You state the obvious, and make my point simultaneously in the same sarcastically attempted post. Ian needs to be in camp, playing when the season starts, or the Spurs really think this guy is a bust. Two more years to develop? The remaining Duncan years don't look too promising.

Stay Tuned. :fro

TheSanityAnnex
07-21-2006, 06:15 PM

Duncan is in a league with those players. Just because he will be a bit older...his style of game will still allow him to dominate.....he's that damn good.You are right on all counts. But..................the style of the game is changing, and it does not benefit Duncan.