PDA

View Full Version : Francisco Elson: "I hope to learn a lot from Tim"

Bruno
07-21-2006, 10:09 AM
http://www.hoopshype.com/fan_mail/elson.htm

How do you feel about starting at center next to Tim Duncan?
– Chris Smith (Boulder, Colorado)

Francisco Elson: I think the Spurs have a great organization and team. I look forward to
playing next to Tim and supporting the team the best I can. I have watched him for many years and he is a phenomenal player. I hope to learn a lot from him. I want to bring a lot of energy and hard work to help the team win a championship.

San Antonio had Nesterovic last season and now they have you. What's the main thing that separates you from Rasho as a player? And do you think the team has taken a step back by losing Nazr Mohammed too?
– Anonymous

FE: Both Rasho and Nazr are good centers. I'm probably not much of a banger like those guys, but I feel I bring a high level of energy and shoot the ball well from the outside. On the defensive end, I feel I can provide the same intensity and block shots. I will just do whatever I can to help the team win.

What will you remember the most about your time with the Nuggets?
– Chris

FE: I had a wonderful time in Denver. It’s a nice city and the fans are great. I spent my first three NBA years there so I will remember the whole experience.

I hear that you and Nen๊ were really close friends in Denver. How was your relationship with him during all these seasons? And what do you think about the episode in practice between Nen๊ and Kenyon Martin?
– Alfredo da Costa Lauria (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil)

FE: Nen๊ and I are still friends. He is young and will have a long career in the league. He has a lot of potential. You know things happen in practice when guys are playing hard. It's just part of being competitive and it happens on all teams.

Was being a free agent a nerve-wracking situation for you? How's been the last week since you signed an offer sheet with the Spurs?
– Jerry Sandmann (Orlando, Florida)

FE: I just wanted to get the whole thing over with and move on with my life. It's tough not knowing exactly where you are going to be for the next years of your life. I am happy that there was a high level of interest for me around the league and am very happy with my current situation. I think we have the opportunity to win a lot of games and the NBA championship.

Coming from a small country, who guided you to the USA?
– Robert (Newark, Delaware)

FE: A scout from the Netherlands got me to play in a JC in Texas (Kilgore College) where I guided myself through by hard work and dedication! Which paid off in the long run.

I was wondering what the influence was of watching Rik Smits play for the Pacers. Was he a role model for you?
– Ivo Luijendijk (Utrecht, Netherlands)

FE: I played with Rik Smits on the National Team one time but he retired shortly after that. I admired my older brother who was my inspiration to continue playing.

What do you feel is the most important reason why Holland is currently underachieving at the international level and would you be willing to play for the National Team in the upcoming matches?
– Edwin Geertsema (Dinxperlo, Netherlands)

FE: I have played with the National Team for many years now. We have some talent here, but they need the
experience too. They need to play more on there club teams.

I read an article in a California newspaper that a fellow by the name of Mohammed Muqtar was a big influence to you while at Berkeley. I also read in he was a big influence on Phoenix Sun great Kevin Johnson as well. Is that true? And if so, what exactly does he do that helps players there so much?
– Nav Mundi

FE: Mohammed looked out for me when I was at Cal and we have remained good friends. I have kept in touch with all the people I was close to in college. Yes, Mo has also been good friends with Kevin Johnson since he was in college.

One skill you have that most centers usually aren't very good at is stealing the ball. Where and how did you become so good at it?
– Anonymous

FE: I try and anticipate what other players are going to do by playing the passing lanes. Stealing the ball is about having good instincts, which come with playing a lot and recognizing how different players pass the ball. It’s a gamble, though, because sometimes you get it wrong and can get beat for a basket.

What are you going to do when you are no longer able to make money playing basketball?
– Victoria Ovin, (Buenos Aires, Argentina)

FE: Having good financial planning and making good investments are important. I have made some good investments to set up my future after basketball. I am an investor with other NBA guys in Flex-Power. I'm not worried because I have a good group of smart people around me and will have various opportunities. I also think it's important to get your college education. I have a degree from one of the top universities in the United States (Berkeley).

Kori Ellis
07-21-2006, 10:13 AM
I'm probably not much of a banger like those guys, but I feel I bring a high level of energy and shoot the ball well from the outside.

Maybe now the people who have the idea that Elson is a banger/enforcer will believe he's not.

pwilliam
07-21-2006, 10:13 AM
Both Rasho and Nazr are good centers. I'm probably not much of a banger like those guys.

:rolleyes

Mr. Body
07-21-2006, 10:16 AM
Maybe now the people who have the idea that Elson is a banger/enforcer will believe he's not.

Banger and enforcer are different things. Neither Rasho nor Nazr were enforcers, but they were banger-types. Charles Oakley was both.

An enforcer is someone who will commit the hard foul. Elson has clearly demonstrated his knack for taking a guy down.

Kori Ellis
07-21-2006, 10:17 AM
I realize that they are different things. But everyone who calls him "banger" has been calling him "enforcer" too.

An enforcer is someone who will commit the hard foul. Elson has clearly demonstrated his knack for taking a guy down.

Where?

He averaged less fouls per game than Rasho. Never had a flagrant all last year.

When and where did he demonstrate these powerful, enforcing fouls?

Mr. Body
07-21-2006, 10:20 AM
I realize that they are different things. But everyone who calls him "banger" has been calling him "enforcer" too.

Where?

He averaged less fouls per game than Rasho. Never had a flagrant all last year.

When and where did he demonstrate these powerful, enforcing fouls?

I didn't say flagrants. It's how you foul. It's how physical you play. Elson wasn't on the same level as a Najera or Evans, but he doesn't mind knocking a guy over driving to the hoop. Instead of giving up a layup or an And-1 with a piddly foul, he'll wrap the guy up or knock him down.

He's not an extreme enforcer, but he's a physical guy.

FromWayDowntown
07-21-2006, 10:23 AM
I think the word for me with Elson is tenacious. Elson had a chance to back down from KG during the 2004 playoffs, but didn't. He might not be an enforcer or a banger; he might not even be a guy who'll dole out hard fouls; but he does seem to be a guy who won't be intimidated, which (IMO) is more than could be said for Rasho and even Nazr at times.

Kori Ellis
07-21-2006, 10:23 AM
I didn't say flagrants. It's how you foul. It's how physical you play. Elson wasn't on the same level as a Najera or Evans, but he doesn't mind knocking a guy over driving to the hoop. Instead of giving up a layup or an And-1 with a piddly foul, he'll wrap the guy up or knock him down.

He's not an extreme enforcer, but he's a physical guy.

Most fans/media in Denver that I talked to say he's on the softer side of the physical scale. We'll see.

Bruno
07-21-2006, 10:25 AM
I feel I bring a high level of energy and shoot the ball well from the outside. On the defensive end, I feel I can provide the same intensity and block shots. I will just do whatever I can to help the team win.

If Elson can do what he say, he will be a good signing.

What I would like to see from him :
- Good man to man defense.
- Not being a team defense liability. I don't ask him to be as good as Rasho but better than Nazr.
- Quite good rebounding, something like 12 rebounds/48min.
- Hitting the midrange jumpshot with a quite good %.

Mr. Body
07-21-2006, 10:26 AM
Most fans/media in Denver that I talked to say he's on the softer side of the physical scale. We'll see.

It's a tough call. I think they mean on the 'banger' scale. There are photos floating around this board showing him taking Parker out of the air and fouling Manu pretty hard. Butler would be a more punishing guy to guard - the banger. But if you drive on Elson, he'll hit you. No touch fouls, and not in a dirty way. It's one of the things I like about him. He's not going to be able to guard Shaq; where it's nice is in his help defense.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-21-2006, 10:27 AM
I'm probably not much of a banger like those guys...I feel I can provide the same intensity

The same intensity??

We're doomed.

furry_spurry
07-21-2006, 10:28 AM
So the only 7 footer on the team isn't a banger. Can't wait to play Houston.

orhe
07-21-2006, 10:50 AM
i miss rasho :( just not his salary

T Park
07-21-2006, 11:33 AM

Yeah cause that Yao Ming is a one tough push you around mofo :rolleyes

Beer is Good
07-21-2006, 11:40 AM
:lol
Yeah cause that Yao Ming is a one tough push you around mofo :rolleyes
:lol I know. Yao just backs people down and throws dunks down on everyone. No jump shots there... :lol

Mr. Body
07-21-2006, 11:42 AM
That's not really the point, is it? It's all about establishing position. Yao is a big, strong guy who Elson may not be able to keep out of the paint.

spur219
07-21-2006, 11:43 AM
Elson won't be effective at all. He will put up a good play here and there but I don't like him on the Spurs team.

T Park
07-21-2006, 11:45 AM
So you put Butler on him.

Butler is 260 freakin pounds.

Just tell him to bother Yao and keep him out of the paint.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-21-2006, 11:54 AM
I suspect Butler will draw the Yao assignment, he's got enough beef to make life difficult for him.

He just needs to stay away from the Quadzilla diet plan so we don't end up with him losing 50 pounds between now and the start of the season so he's skinny enough to meet Quad's approval :rolleyes

Doug Collins
07-21-2006, 11:56 AM
i miss rasho :( just not his salary

Im sure the raptors are always looking for more fans, especially international ones. :smokin

Supergirl
07-21-2006, 12:33 PM

I was surprised by that comment, since I thought that was what he was know as. And I never heard Nazr or Rasho known as enforcers or bangers...

JamStone
07-21-2006, 01:47 PM
What will you remember the most about your time with the Nuggets?
– Chris

FE: I had a wonderful time in Denver. I will remember the time I punched Kevin Garnett in the balls in the playoffs and then him calling me gay. That was the highlight of my career so far. That was the most press I ever got. Good times. Good times.

ChumpDumper
07-21-2006, 01:51 PM
They didn't use my question: How do you feel knowing you are responsible for thousands of Spurfans jumping off cliffs and hanging themselves from shower rods?

Obstructed_View
07-21-2006, 02:13 PM
Smallball vs. the Rockets. Problem solved.

timvp
07-21-2006, 02:47 PM
I think the word for me with Elson is tenacious. Elson had a chance to back down from KG during the 2004 playoffs, but didn't.

How did Elson calling KG gay after the game constitute him not backing down? I didn't know that the use of a homophobic slur after the fact made one an enforcer.

If Elson was to stand up to Garnett like some are claiming, to me that would involve doing something during a game ... other than let KG go off for the biggest game of his playoff career and the biggest series of his playoff career.

T Park
07-21-2006, 02:50 PM

I can see Elson getting 10 and 9 in a game next year and TIMVP saying

"Shoulda had 12 and 10, I was right. :smokin"

T Park
07-21-2006, 02:51 PM
So Elson was the primary reason Garnett had a huge series that year?

The sole and ONLY reason?

Interesting.

timvp
07-21-2006, 02:51 PM
^ Gay posts.

timvp
07-21-2006, 02:52 PM
I guess I just enforced this thread.

:smokin

T Park
07-21-2006, 02:55 PM
:rolleyes

I guess the legion of Nuggets fans I see over "Nuggetz-Fan"'s website, that talks about the guy, they are ALL wrong.

timvp
07-21-2006, 02:57 PM
Those are the same fans who thought signing Nene for $60M was a good deal.

Like I said earlier, I welcome Elson to the Spurs and wish him well. I think some of us need to get a better perspective of what the Spurs are getting and lose some of the Francisco Elson mythification.

T Park
07-21-2006, 03:00 PM
What mythification.

All we hear is how horrible the guy is, and is the worst player in the history of NBA basketball.

I think the guy is a faster, 06 07 version of Kevin Willis.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-21-2006, 03:07 PM

That's the first thing I noticed.

But in the next sentence he talks but "and on defense..." which brings you think he's means he's not a banger in the post on offense. Which isn't something Elson supporters ever claimed he was to begin with.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-21-2006, 03:20 PM
Both Rasho and Nazr are good centers. I'm probably not much of a banger like those guys, but I feel I bring a high level of energy and shoot the ball well from the outside. On the defensive end, I feel I can provide the same intensity and block shots. I will just do whatever I can to help the team win.

You can't help but assume he's talking about offense first, then defense when he says "On the defensive end...".

Nobody ever claimed he was a banger on offense. He's a jumpshooter, who can get dunk at the rim...that's about the extent of his game.

On defense that "high level of energy" turns into him fronting guys, him getting under guys skin, him guarding the rim...at least that's what I hope he meant by that comment.

T Park
07-21-2006, 03:22 PM
If he brings the same defense as Rasho and blocks shots, thats cool with me.

Cause he moves better than Rasho, and has twice the intelligence level of Rasho.

Thats one thing people are underestimating on this guy.

Its so much easier for Pop to work with, and mold guys that have a good intelligence level.

Jackson is still the mystery :lol

FromWayDowntown
07-21-2006, 03:39 PM
How did Elson calling KG gay after the game constitute him not backing down? I didn't know that the use of a homophobic slur after the fact made one an enforcer.

If Elson was to stand up to Garnett like some are claiming, to me that would involve doing something during a game ... other than let KG go off for the biggest game of his playoff career and the biggest series of his playoff career.

I didn't say he was an enforcer -- as much as anything, I find it useful that he was a rookie thrown into a playoff setting against the league's MVP and did enough that Garnett found reason to sock him in the junk; and that after Garnett punked out like that, Elson didn't fall apart like some might have.

It remains to be seen whether Elson is tenacious enough to provide a night-in-night-out spark that neither Nazr nor Rasho could consistently bring.

I understand that you're skeptical; I'm hopeful.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-21-2006, 03:44 PM

'Fag' is a homophobic slur.

Someone touching your boys and you calling him 'gay' is just a descirption of events which lead to one possible conclusion.

T Park
07-21-2006, 03:56 PM
Gig gets it...

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-21-2006, 04:11 PM
wow, you sign the guy for $3m/season and you want a double double from him or something? :lol

The signing is cheap, it cant go wrong either way. I guarantee you that your cheap center pairing will be more effective than your expensive one last season :smokin

Frankie plays 100% every night and there isnt much else you can ask from someone who has been a fantastic backup in Denver. He never knew when he would get minutes, how many or when he would end up starting but he always played all out with whatever time he got.

Im not going to overrate Frankie and say he will be a monster but i think alot of people are underrating the effectiveness of him. He has never played against a great PF like Duncan before, i think it will suit his game.

T Park
07-21-2006, 05:22 PM
Thats all Id ask Nuggets fan.

Hustle, give 100%, and bust ass.

I think all hell be asked to do though, is rebound the ball, defend the rim, and play good D.

I think hes smart enough to pick up on the schemes.

Do you think he could rebound well and block say a block or two a game, if told thats all he had to focus on?

leemajors
07-21-2006, 05:54 PM
If he brings the same defense as Rasho and blocks shots, thats cool with me.

Cause he moves better than Rasho, and has twice the intelligence level of Rasho.

Thats one thing people are underestimating on this guy.

Its so much easier for Pop to work with, and mold guys that have a good intelligence level.

Jackson is still the mystery :lol

rasho is not a stupid player, he just wasn't quick or fast enough to guard pf's. suddenly athleticism is in some way relevant to intelligence? i hope you meant he is hopefully twice as smart as nazr on the defensive end. rasho had no problems wrapping his brain around our defensive schemes.

T Park
07-21-2006, 06:23 PM
I meant Nazr Im sorry.

Rasho wasn't stupid no question.

I think Elson might be a combination of Rasho and Nazr.

King
07-21-2006, 06:29 PM
All I want him to do is dunk the ball around the rim and learn the defensive rotations. Anything else is gravy.

El_Mago
07-21-2006, 06:54 PM

What gives you the impression that his basketball IQ is that high?

One of the beat writers in Denver I believe was on WOAI, and said one of the main concerns the team had and what got Denver fans upset with Elson is that he had very slow reactions on the defensive side.

If thats true, he's going to have a hard time picking up these Spurs schemes because they are not easy to pick up, and will quickly find himself on the bench....Pop is not going to allow slow reactions or him being off on the switches.

dbestpro
07-21-2006, 06:55 PM
Elson's role is to keep the heat off of Butler. Elson will start so Butler can assume the role without pressure. When Butler blows an assignment, Pop will bring in Elson. Elson's job is to help Butler grow into the starting role and give Pop an option when Butler is not ready.

strangeweather
07-21-2006, 06:56 PM
One of the beat writers in Denver I believe was on WOAI, and said one of the main concerns the team had and what got Denver fans upset with Elson is that he had very slow reactions on the defensive side.

If thats true, he's going to have a hard time picking up these Spurs schemes because they are not easy to pick up, and will quickly find himself on the bench....Pop is not going to allow slow reactions or off-switches.
Maybe so. At least he'll have the training camp Nazr never had. Hopefully that will help.

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-21-2006, 07:34 PM
Do you think he could rebound well and block say a block or two a game, if told thats all he had to focus on?

yes for sure, no doubt
:smokin

E20
07-21-2006, 10:55 PM
So we have a scrub as our starting center? Big improvement, oh yeah.

td4mvp21
07-21-2006, 10:58 PM
I bet and hope that Jackie Butler starts.

1000th POST!!!!

raspsa
07-21-2006, 11:23 PM
How do you feel about starting at center next to Tim Duncan?
– Chris Smith (Boulder, Colorado)

Francisco Elson: I think the Spurs have a great organization and team. I look forward to
playing next to Tim and supporting the team the best I can. I have watched him for many years and he is a phenomenal player. I hope to learn a lot from him. I want to bring a lot of energy and hard work to help the team win a championship.

At least he's got the right attitude.....

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-21-2006, 11:43 PM
you won't get any trouble from Frankie :smokin

He will get along with everyone, do his job and have fun at the same time

coachmac87
07-21-2006, 11:52 PM
do u see elson guarding dirk in the playoffs?

Please_dont_ban_me
07-21-2006, 11:53 PM

Better and more frequently than Nazr/Rasho did...sure.

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-21-2006, 11:55 PM

yeh, Frankie is quick on his feet and combined with his height it will cause problems for Dirk. Im not saying he will shut him down but he will do a better job than the options last season in the playoffs. Bowen had to worry about guarding Howard didnt he?

The Nuggets had K (if he was playing ) to guard Dirk when they met, i cant remember specifically seeing the matchup between Frankie and Dirk.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-21-2006, 11:56 PM
You think Dirk can be as effective as Haslem was?

alamo50
07-22-2006, 03:08 AM
Once again I like to say I am very excited to see a dutchman on my squad.
Again I will point out I would have been happier with Gadzuric, but I understand it's all about the money and being able to provide Tim with a(nother) championship caliber team in 2 years from now.

That being said I hope all the peeps in here who are mad or surprised by his signing realise this and will support Elson so he will get to see the best fans in the world over at the ATT.

I wish it was October.

P.S.
May he screw up like Rasho than boo his ass, but I have a feeling he won't.