PDA

View Full Version : Glenn Robinson Update

Kori Ellis
07-21-2006, 12:44 PM
People often asked during the season what happened to him, so here's a little update.

'Big Dog’ returns as former pro player
July 21, 2006

By Mike Hutton / Post-Tribune staff writer

http://www.post-trib.com/cgi-bin/pto-story/sports/z1/07-21-06_z1_spor_03.html

The “Big Dog” is coming to town, and this time he’ll be back as a former pro basketball player, according to his high school coach.

Glenn Robinson is hosting his annual basketball camp next week at Roosevelt High School.

Ron Heflin, his coach at Roosevelt, said he spoke with Robinson a few weeks ago, and that he told him he was through playing professional basketball. Robinson led the Panthers to the state title in 1991.

According to Heflin, a variety of injuries has forced Robinson to retire at 33. Robinson’s agent, Charles Tucker, didn’t return multiple phone calls on the matter.

Last April, Robinson told the Post-Tribune at his Hall of Fame induction at Purdue that there was a possibility he would return after sitting out the season.

Robinson was as a role player for San Antonio at the end of the 2005 season when the Spurs won the NBA championship.

Robinson’s camp is Monday through Thursday from 9 to 4 p.m. at Roosevelt High School for kids ages 9 through 17. The cost of the camp is picked up by Robinson.

dknights411
07-21-2006, 12:51 PM
I liked Big Dog as a Spur. Helped the Spurs out big time when Duncan went out late in the season.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-21-2006, 12:51 PM
I never did figure out why we didn't resign him.

kobe_bryant
07-21-2006, 12:53 PM
Our Kobe-Stopper!!!

Welcome Home, Jackie!

Nigga please. That soft plum boy can't even stand up to my homeboy Milm alright? The kid is going to get flushed by me come 2006 season.

T Park
07-21-2006, 01:00 PM
I never did figure out why we didn't resign him.

I'd say him retiring was a pretty big deciding factor.

angel_luv
07-21-2006, 01:06 PM
Big Dog was cool. I wish him well.

Also I have a jersey he can autograph. :)

MoSpur
07-21-2006, 03:00 PM
I liked him when he played for the Spurs. I would have liked him on the team last year. I wish him the best.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-21-2006, 03:04 PM
BigDog put his ego aside and played a role on a championship team, even when a lot of folks figured he'd screw up the Spurs chemistry. The man actually hustled on D and made the most of every opportunity on the court. Showed me a lot.

I'll always respect him for that.

Beer is Good
07-21-2006, 03:08 PM
Nigga please. That soft plum boy can't even stand up to my homeboy Milm alright? The kid is going to get flushed by me come 2006 season.

Milm ain't good. Maybe you should say it in Italian. It has to be better than your English. :lol

Mr. Body
07-21-2006, 03:12 PM
I'd say him retiring was a pretty big deciding factor.

Nope! Try again.

He was waiting for the call last summer. He would have played had someone signed him.

ducks
07-21-2006, 03:13 PM
I am kind of surprised no one called
spurs could have signed him for the min just in case with injury's

spurster
07-21-2006, 03:15 PM
Maybe he was looking for more than the min.

Mr. Body
07-21-2006, 03:16 PM
Or late in the season. The Spurs forgot the 'Robinson Rule'. I just hope we get Clifford Robinson or someone before we start our championship run in April.

Taco
07-21-2006, 03:19 PM
I think he's was the only one from the 05 season who did not come back and get their ring.

I'm sure he has it by now

FromWayDowntown
07-21-2006, 03:26 PM
BigDog put his ego aside and played a role on a championship team, even when a lot of folks figured he'd screw up the Spurs chemistry. The man actually hustled on D and made the most of every opportunity on the court. Showed me a lot.

I'll always respect him for that.

I'll never forget the absolutely fantastic stretch of minutes he gave the Spurs in Game 1 of the 2005 Finals.

While Big Dog wasn't a huge part of that team's success, he did enough to ensure that he wasn't just a coattail rider who gravytrained his way to a ring. And EHJ is so right about how well Big Dog shocked his critics by accepting the role that he was offered and making the most of it.

It probably ended too early for Glenn Robinson.

Mr. Body
07-21-2006, 03:28 PM
I still wish we would have retained him. I realize he was a personnel risk, but why not? He could have helped against Dallas. Big, strong, still mobile...

Please_dont_ban_me
07-21-2006, 03:37 PM
Nope! Try again.

He was waiting for the call last summer. He would have played had someone signed him.

Ya, that's how I remember it...I believe Big Dog was interested in coming back but the Spurs just never made an offer to him. The he ended up retiring.

Quasar
07-22-2006, 12:09 AM
Ya, that's how I remember it...I believe Big Dog was interested in coming back but the Spurs just never made an offer to him. The he ended up retiring.Yeah it was kinda disappointing as I hoped they'd get him back.

I guess Holt decided to stop signing pay checks after signing Finley and NVE.

milkyway21
07-22-2006, 12:41 AM
I'm glad Big Dogg's doin okay.

so speaking of former Spur retirees what's cookin' on Nick Van Exel except appearing on MTV's Cribs? He's still residing in Houston? :D

Please_dont_ban_me
07-22-2006, 01:23 AM
Oddly enough...I had no clue he was a local guy. He went to Roosevelt? Cool.

AFE7FATMAN
07-22-2006, 01:31 AM
The agent didn't return phone calls?
I like the Big Dog, He could take MARKS Place
During the playoffs I could could on a big man scoring and getting
some friggin rebounds from the BENCH.

SIGN HIM UP.

Condemned 2 HelLA
07-22-2006, 05:50 AM

You and Mihm can rehab together, since you both went under the knife recently.
Really intimidating line-up you have going into next season!
:rollin :lol :lmao :flipoff

Please_dont_ban_me
07-22-2006, 05:52 AM
You and Mihm can rehab together, since you both went under the knife recently.
Really intimidating line-up you have going into next season!
:rollin :lol :lmao :flipoff

Kind of like there intimidating lineup that got them up 3-1 in the second round on the Suns before gagging it away. Ya?

Don't sleep on the Lakers. Phil + Kobe + Anybody = Team you should worry about.

Condemned 2 HelLA
07-22-2006, 05:57 AM
Kind of like there intimidating lineup that got them up 3-1 in the second round on the Suns before gagging it away. Ya?

Don't sleep on the Lakers. Phil + Kobe + Anybody = Team you should worry about.

Phillatio is a fraud. If he's so goddamn good, he should go coach a team like the Hawks to really prove his worth.
The Pistons proved in the Finals in '04 how to deal with Kobe. Let everyone else get their's and make Kobe beat you. I think we all know how that ended up.
Last year's "experiment"? 'Nuff said.
The Lamers will be lucky to even get a sniff of the playoffs this year.

Kori Ellis
07-26-2006, 08:24 AM
Up in the air

Glenn Robinson ponders his basketball future while focusing on his basketball camp this week

BY BILL PAIGE
Times Correspondent
Wednesday, July 26, 2006 12:09 AM CDT

GARY -- Glenn Robinson's pro basketball future is up in the air.

"I don't know what my future is at this point as far as pro ball," the former Roosevelt and Purdue star said Tuesday during his annual basketball camp at Roosevelt. "Right now my focus is on my camp."

Robinson, the 6-foot-7 former National Collegiate Player of the Year and top pick in the 1994 NBA draft, averaged 20.8 ppg. playing for Milwaukee, Atlanta, Philadelphia and San Antonio over 11 seasons. He won a title with the Spurs in 2005, but hasn't played since.

Whether Indiana's 1991 Mr. Basketball will retire or give the NBA another shot anytime soon remains to be seen.

"I feel good about my career," the 33-year-old Robinson said. "I've accomplished a lot. My injuries have held me back some from accomplishing more. I played hurt all the time; that is part of the profession.

"It was my choice not to play last year. I don't want to play in constant pain. I don't want to leave the game and not be able to walk to the car with my kids.

"Am I going to retire? To this day I will say no. Any player that is going to retire doesn't want to admit it or give up playing. All players are in denial that they can keep playing.

"I don't want to play in pain, though. It is frustrating and disappointing to deal with injuries. I am not giving myself a time frame on a decision."

The time off has allowed Robinson to nurse some injuries and spend more time with his children.

"I definitely miss the camaraderie of the team, but it is a good feeling to be home with the family. That is what was great about this past year, spending time with my kids," said Robinson, whose 12-year-old son, Gelon, is starting to follow in his basketball footsteps. "I see a little of myself in him. Although he is a guard and I am more of a big man, I see my shooting in him.

"I try to teach him some moves. I showed him my shot. If he can do that he will get it off over anyone."

Robinson, who averaged 24.1 points his sophomore year at Purdue and led the nation in scoring during his junior year at 30.3, is keeping himself in shape.

"I won't let myself get out of shape. Whether I play again or not, I want to live a long, healthy life," he said. "If I do not come back, it was a great way to go out, winning the world championship with the Spurs. It was a blessing to be traded to San Antonio at the end of the year and being part of that title."

About 320 children will take part in the five-day camp, for which Robinson pays all expenses.

"This camp means a lot to me," Robinson said. "I just like to do it for the kids and give them something positive.

"I want this to be a real camp, with smaller kids on up to bigger ones. We are teaching skills, organization and discipline. We aren't just throwing the ball out there and letting them play. When you learn good habits at a young age it sticks with you."

ShoogarBear
07-26-2006, 08:30 AM
Oddly enough...I had no clue he was a local guy. He went to Roosevelt? Cool.
That's Roosevelt in, I believe, Gary, IN.

Robinson was Indiana's Mr. Basketball as a HS senior.

timvp
07-26-2006, 08:32 AM

Any updates on whether Santa went to highschool in San Antonio?

TIA.

MoSpur
07-26-2006, 08:48 AM
I liked when he was in a Spurs uniform. I wouldn't mind him back for a one year deal.

slayermin
07-26-2006, 07:37 PM

Which is where Pop grew up, right? I know it was Don Neuman who suggested picking up Big Dog. But I think Pop was willing to take a chance on Glenn because they were from the same home town. It was a gamble considering the past history of Robinson.