PDA

View Full Version : Spurs GM says starting center spot up for grabs

Buddy Holly
07-21-2006, 07:39 PM
Spurs GM says starting center spot up for grabs

Web Posted: 07/21/2006 06:58 PM CDT

KENS 5 Eyewitness News

The Spurs went from limited at the center position to very well stocked in about 24 hours.

The Spurs signed Jackie Butler on Friday. He comes to the team from the New York Knicks, where he was a restricted free agent.

The Spurs will also sign 30-year-old Francisco Elson, who was a restricted free agent with the Denver Nuggets. Elson appears to be the favorite to start at center along side Tim Duncan.

"I think (Spurs coach Gregg Popovich) and the team will have a lot to say about that," Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said of the starting center job.

"The opportunity is there for the starting center position to be won. I think there will be a pretty strong battle there. I know (Fabricio Oberto) is going to come in eager to participate in that battle, and Jackie and Francisco. Pop has proven he's going to play the guys who play well."

Butler, a 6-foot-10, 21-year-old center averaged 5.3 points and 3.3 rebounds last season. Elson, a 7-foot, 30-year-old center averaged 4.9 points and 4.7 rebounds last season. Oberto averaged 1.7 points and 2.1 rebounds in limited playing time for the Spurs in his first NBA season.

"We also have the luxury of playing Tim (Duncan) there," Buford said. "So, I don't think there's anything etched in stone."

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA072106.kens.spurs.center.d69c096.html

timvp
07-21-2006, 07:54 PM
If Butler can win that spot out of training camp that'd be the best possible scenario for now and the future.

midgetonadonkey
07-21-2006, 07:58 PM
I think Butler will win the starting spot.

El_Mago
07-21-2006, 08:13 PM
I'm rooting for Butler, and it might be similar to when Parker backed up AJ for the first 5 games, and the Pop pulled the trigger and he's had the starting job ever since.

The best thing is for them to battler, Butler to come out on top, and have him and Duncan mesh as soon as possible. If Butler can be as good as Diop was for Dallas the first season we should be in good shape.....but, I think Butler will be a lot better.

BrianBird
07-21-2006, 08:47 PM
I'm rooting for Butler, and it might be similar to when Parker backed up AJ for the first 5 games, and the Pop pulled the trigger and he's had the starting job ever since.

Not to be nit picky but... wasn't it AD who had the starting role and the combo of him saying he was more comfortable off the bench and TP's play the result of Tony being the starter early that season? In any case i agree that Butler would benifit most by winning the starting job outright making it easier for him to develop, adjust playing next to an all-world post player and ultimately find his niche. It will only prolong that process if he comes off the bench or is unable to earn significant playing time.

Mr. Body
07-21-2006, 08:57 PM
Yes, Parker signed Antonio Daniels' ticket onto the bench, then out of town.

Solid D
07-21-2006, 09:53 PM
Not to be nit picky but... wasn't it AD who had the starting role and the combo of him saying he was more comfortable off the bench and TP's play the result of Tony being the starter early that season? In any case i agree that Butler would benifit most by winning the starting job outright making it easier for him to develop, adjust playing next to an all-world post player and ultimately find his niche. It will only prolong that process if he comes off the bench or is unable to earn significant playing time.

It's a fair point Brian and you could be right with regard to confidence for the young pup. I know Pop likes to bring energy and scoring punch off the bench and Jackie does offer that. This kid can really score, when given the chance. Pop also looks at matchups and he may want to use Elson in some starts versus some of the bigger Bigs.

It's just too early to figure out yet, though. We'll have to see his impact as he learns the system. Valid points Brian, regardless.

Regarding AD and TP, I think Tony was so fast and really got the team into transition so well, Pop may have convinced AD into what he was better at.

timvp
07-21-2006, 10:04 PM
I fully expect Elson to be the starter. The Spurs woldn't throw more than half of the MLE on a guy who will be the team's opening day 12th man like he was last year for Denver. Elson will get his shot early to show what he can do.

Oberto, if he's not traded before the season, also has a chance. I'm not totally down on him like some Spurs fans are. I think he's the smartest of the three and the best passer.

Given Butler's age and lack of experience, he's going to be a longshot. The last part of the article also gives me the feeling that Bonner is also a longshot possibility but I don't see that happening.

Right now I see the odds for opening day starting center as:

Elson - 60%
Oberto - 25%
Butler - 12%
Bonner - 3%

Horry in theory could be an option but I don't think there's any way the Spurs risk burning him out by making him an opening day starter.

Quadzilla99
07-21-2006, 10:05 PM
Butler couldn't ask for a better oppurtunity. Everything is set up perfectly for him to be the starter on a championship level team.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-21-2006, 10:19 PM
Starter will be Butler. Oberto will backup and Elson will be the Oberto of last year. I hope.

Pistons < Spurs
07-21-2006, 10:31 PM
I don't know if it really matters who the starter is. IMO it will be just like when Rasho and Nazr were in SA. Playing time will be split pretty evenly. Elson and Butler will each play 16 to 20 minutes or so at the 5. Oberto will probaby also get 15 to 20 minutes though he'll mostly play the 4 backing up TD.

I'm more curious to see who finishes games.

Obviously though Butler holds more long term potential. Hopefully he can be 'the' guy for the next few years. But for now, I'd love to see Fabri and Butler play together off the bench.

picnroll
07-21-2006, 10:38 PM
My question is who will be playing at the end at crunch time? Will it still be Horry? End game is what counts.

Butler better come to camp in kickass shape or he'll be starting in Pop's doghouse and that's a house that it's hard to get out of.

timvp
07-21-2006, 10:51 PM
End of the game will probably still be Horry. Perhaps Bonner will prove to do some of the things Horry can and will be able to start the transition away from being so Horry dependant.

I would say that Butler has a chance, but even David Robinson got passed over for the smaller Malik Rose in crunch time a lot. Pop likes to end games with good spacing on the court ... and that usually means Duncan at center.

picnroll
07-21-2006, 11:16 PM
I recall DRob almost always being in at end game. Pop when with the twin tower D which usually stepped on tems throats at the end making it near impossible to score. Miss those days.

Nbadan
07-22-2006, 03:26 AM
:lol

This almost reminds me of the two quarterback rule in football - A team with two starting Quarterbacks has no starting quarterback.

A team with three starting centers has no starting center.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-22-2006, 04:58 AM
The quote lost all credibility when he mentioned Oberto having a shot as well.

Solid D
07-22-2006, 06:58 AM

This almost reminds me of the two quarterback rule in football - A team with two starting Quarterbacks has no starting quarterback.

A team with three starting centers has no starting center.

Wennington, Perdue, and Longley

Solid D
07-22-2006, 07:13 AM
72-win team
Longley, Wennington, Salley and Edwards
None of them averaged over 26 mpg

T Park
07-22-2006, 10:23 AM
shhhh.

Puts a damper on their hate parade Solid......

furry_spurry
07-22-2006, 10:41 AM
The rotating players thing really did not work well this past season. No one guy got into any real rhythm-- none of the 4 (Rasho, Horry, Nazr, Oberto) averaged over 19 minutes per game. It would be better to pick a guy and give him 26-30 minutes a night.

timvp
07-22-2006, 03:51 PM
The rotating players thing really did not work well this past season. No one guy got into any real rhythm-- none of the 4 (Rasho, Horry, Nazr, Oberto) averaged over 19 minutes per game. It would be better to pick a guy and give him 26-30 minutes a night.

Yeah the Spurs really struggled in the regular season.

Brutalis
07-22-2006, 04:06 PM
Spurs GM says starting center spot up for grabs

NO SHIT !

xamila rey
07-22-2006, 04:29 PM
i think Fabio will have his big chance this year, all that i hope is he can get some confidence during the WC, and play for the Spurs as good he does for the Argentinian National Team

i found a video in manuginobili.com that shows a little of Oberto (#7) playing with Manu and Nocioni.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNXn8Cqw_WQ&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fmundotonycba%2Ewebcindario%2Ecom %2F

kori: i am new here, please let me know if it is ok to post videos, otherwise i will remove it

furry_spurry
07-22-2006, 05:47 PM
Yeah the Spurs really struggled in the regular season.
Not a single one of them was ready for the play-offs and it showed.

Obstructed_View
07-22-2006, 06:15 PM
I'm looking forward to everyone benefitting from a training camp of competition for an open position, something that Nazr's wife's health prevented the Spurs from having the previous year.

Dre_7
07-22-2006, 09:50 PM
I, for one, am extremly happy with what the Spurs have goin with the Center spot this coming season. Ill take this anyday over the Rasho/Nazr Center situation.

Solid D
07-22-2006, 10:21 PM
On Maximum Sports tonight, they showed a clip of RC. Summarizing, RC said the Spurs don't want to turn into something they are not. They have always been a team that played good defense and defended the rim. The Spurs will play Timmy more at the 5. He said when they do that, they suffer a bit in that regard (defending the rim). With the moves the Spurs have made, the approach won't be necessarily who plays Center and who plays Forward, but more of a case of playing 2 Bigs. They want to stay flexible with the ability to play with multiple looks, even going small like they did in the playoffs and win..or even be the best team.

What he said seemed a bit contradictory...Timmy a 5 or just a Big? However, I do think I see where they are trying to go with these moves. Flexibility in the Bigs and not just a couple of Diplodicus' post men.

ducks
07-22-2006, 10:49 PM
I see what the spurs are doing it is smart

Nbadan
07-23-2006, 02:05 AM
Wennington, Perdue, and Longley

I knew Will Perdue. Will Perdue was a good friend of mine. Francisco Elson is no Will Perdue.

Dre_7
07-23-2006, 04:32 AM
I knew Will Perdue. Will Perdue was a good friend of mine. Francisco Elson is no Will Perdue.

What happened?

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-23-2006, 10:50 AM
Not a single one of them was ready for the play-offs and it showed.

They were ready for the playoffs, just not small ball.

T Park
07-23-2006, 12:50 PM

Yeah Rasho and Nazr sure stepped it up against the Kings.

Yuppers.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-23-2006, 01:36 PM
Yeah Rasho and Nazr sure stepped it up against the Kings.

Yuppers.

I'm sorry, I forgot that Bonzi Wells and Artest attacking from the wing <> small ball.