PDA

View Full Version : Spurs finish subtle changes: Team puts focus on saving money

loveforthegame
07-21-2006, 11:24 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA072206.1C.BKNspurs.center.1375805.html

Spurs finish subtle changes: Team puts focus on saving money instead of taking drastic steps

Web Posted: 07/21/2006 10:35 PM CDT
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

When Spurs officials gathered in late May to analyze how to best adjust the team's roster for next season, they set one guideline for their discussions.

Don't overreact.

Having just lost one of the most tightly contested playoff series in NBA history — to their in-state rival, no less — Spurs coach Gregg Popovich and general manager R.C. Buford didn't want frustration to dictate their decision-making process. They agreed changes needed to be made. They didn't think they needed to be made at any cost.

So, in the ensuing weeks, the Spurs traded Rasho Nesterovic and the $23.5 million remaining on his contract to Toronto for forwards Matt Bonner and Eric Williams. They dumped their second-round pick when they couldn't trade into the first to get an athletic swingman. When Nazr Mohammed received a more lucrative offer from Detroit, they bid him farewell.

Beno Udrih was told he would be given every opportunity to reclaim the backup point guard job. Veteran Jacque Vaughn was signed as insurance. After an unsuccessful attempt at luring Alonzo Mourning away from Miami, the Spurs gambled on a pair of lower-profile restricted free-agent centers: Francisco Elson and Jackie Butler.

The Spurs hadn't given a restricted free agent an offer sheet since failing to land Tyrone Nesby in 1999. The decision to bid on Elson and Butler came after assistant general manager Sam Presti structured the offers — Elson's was front-loaded; Butler's gave him a raise of almost four times what he made last season — to dissuade Denver and New York from matching.

After a nervous week of waiting, the Spurs officially signed Butler to a three-year, $7 million contract on Friday. They also will get Elson, who is expected to sign his two-year, $6 million deal when he returns from his home in Amsterdam next week.

"It's very difficult to walk away from guys like Nazr and Rasho when you've had a great deal of success during their time here in San Antonio," Buford said. "But I think one of Pop's strengths was looking at all areas of the franchise and figuring out not only what's best today, but what also provides the best opportunity for long-term success."

The Spurs hope Elson, Butler, Bonner and the rest of their additions will contribute enough to keep them contending for a championship the next two years. Then, the franchise will have significant room under the salary cap to remake the roster when only Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili will be under contract.

If Elson and Butler succeed, the Spurs will be hailed, once again, for being fiscally prudent. If Elson and Butler flat-line and Mohammed thrives in Detroit?

"Prudent" could be construed as a synonym for "cheap."

At the least, the Spurs think their roster has become more versatile.

Bonner, a power forward who can space the floor with his 3-point shooting, can spell Robert Horry, whose tank looked empty at the end of the playoffs. While at least one Eastern Conference scout thinks Williams has little to offer, Buford hopes the veteran forward can "regain some of his defensive prowess" and maybe even provide an alternative to use against Dallas' Dirk Nowitzki.

"We didn't lose games in those playoffs because guys ran around us," Buford said. "We lost games because we couldn't get rebounds and we had a difficult matchup with Dirk."

Elson isn't as effective a rebounder as Mohammed, but he's 7-feet tall, athletic and can run the floor well enough to keep pace with the Mavericks and Phoenix Suns. Mohammed and Nesterovic both improved as shot-blockers while playing next to Duncan, and the Spurs hope Elson will do the same.

Butler, 21, has the most potential, provided his conditioning isn't a problem. At 6-foot-10, 260 pounds, he has the size and low-post game to provide the team another inside presence.

"Especially on a per-minute basis, Jackie's numbers (5.3 points and 3.3 rebounds in 13.5 minutes last season) are off the charts," Buford said. "We'll see if he's able to take his production in a limited role and expand it."

The Spurs didn't think they needed an overhaul for two reasons — the free-agent market was one of the weakest in years and three of their losses to Dallas in the Western Conference semifinals were decided by a single possession.

The pessimistic view, of course, is that the Spurs also could have been swept by the Mavericks had Jerry Stackhouse not missed a 3-pointer at the end of Game 1.

The Spurs also still have a graying roster: Of the 14 players with guaranteed contracts, only five are under 30. By the end of next month, Horry, Bruce Bowen, Brent Barry, Williams and Michael Finley will average almost 35 years.

Spurs officials were heartened by how Finley and, to a lesser extent, Barry performed in the playoffs, but admit the team will eventually need to add some younger legs. Next year, the Spurs could have as many as four draft picks (one in the first round and three in the second) in what figures to be a considerably deeper pool of talent.

"I think there will be a time and a place where there's an opportunity to address athleticism on the wing," Buford said. "To do it at the expense of other more significant needs would have been unwise. I think you have to evaluate the opportunities and take advantage of them when they're there.

"Just because you need athleticism, you don't want to sign a jackrabbit if he can't play."

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-21-2006, 11:31 PM
The Spurs didn't think they needed an overhaul for two reasons — the free-agent market was one of the weakest in years and three of their losses to Dallas in the Western Conference semifinals were decided by a single possession.

Awesome, they haven't learned a fucking thing. Typical Pop.

timvp
07-21-2006, 11:33 PM
"We didn't lose games in those playoffs because guys ran around us," Buford said. "We lost games because we couldn't get rebounds."

Exactly.

The problem I have is the Spurs really didn't do much to correct that. If anything, they've become an even worse rebounding team.

I guess we can hope that small ball won't be as small this season or something like that.

Buddy Holly
07-21-2006, 11:38 PM
They couldn't rebound because they didn't have anyone taller than Tim in the game.

Quasar
07-22-2006, 12:22 AM
... and three of their losses to Dallas in the Western Conference semifinals were decided by a single possession.

The pessimistic view, of course, is that the Spurs also could have been swept by the Mavericks had Jerry Stackhouse not missed a 3-pointer at the end of Game 1.
I'm not pessimistic, but it is dumb to aim for an improvement of 2pts.

The aim should be to step on the opponent's throat in crunch time and crush them by 10 like the twin towers used to do.

TDMVPDPOY
07-22-2006, 12:30 AM
umm i wonder if tp can stop hogging the ball and play like nash pick n roll with butler, since butler is kind of amares build, needs work on his offensive game though.

tempest186
07-22-2006, 12:37 AM
4 draft picks? Spurs 1st and second plus one from Milwaukee, what is the fourth pick from?

SequSpur
07-22-2006, 12:43 AM
Bonner and Elson suck ass.

good luck......

Tek_XX
07-22-2006, 12:55 AM
Am i going to miss Rasho? I hope not, but i fear i will.

Beer is Good
07-22-2006, 01:03 AM
Ahh, people once again - what were they supposed to do this offseason?? Resign Nazr for way more than he's worth? Keep Rasho's bloated contract that we know was bad? Who in the hell were they supposed to get? Everyone acts like there is some great move that wasn't made, but the truth is that there were no great moves to make. Clearing salaries and bad contracts during a weak free agent and draft year to make room to manuever during a much more lucrative free agent and draft year is the smart thing to do. So many of you just don't understand that for some reason.

ducks
07-22-2006, 01:05 AM
this article is out
now I expect a cia trade

AFE7FATMAN
07-22-2006, 01:26 AM
this article is out
now I expect a cia trade

Absolutely Correct, I am of the same opinion, I by no means can see into the future, nor do I have any inside information but I will bet $ that the result of such a trade, if it happens, will be to bring in a BIG guard that is a SG by birth that POP can make into a PG, Like he tried to do with AD.

PS:: Call Beno and tell him to get with Eating Program, and to start kissing POP's Ass. Also learn to dribble, and say Yes Sir-No Matter What. :lol

spurschick
07-22-2006, 08:24 AM
Next year, the Spurs could have as many as four draft picks (one in the first round and three in the second) in what figures to be a considerably deeper pool of talent.

"I think there will be a time and a place where there's an opportunity to address athleticism on the wing," Buford said. "To do it at the expense of other more significant needs would have been unwise. I think you have to evaluate the opportunities and take advantage of them when they're there.

"Just because you need athleticism, you don't want to sign a jackrabbit if he can't play."

:tu

ducks
07-22-2006, 08:39 AM
spurs could have one more had scola been traded

Sway
07-22-2006, 09:12 AM
"Prudent" could be construed as a synonym for "cheap."

When your primary concern is money and not winning, then yes you can be considered cheap.

"We didn't lose games in those playoffs because guys ran around us," Buford said. "We lost games because we couldn't get rebounds and we had a difficult matchup with Dirk."

So who did we get that is supposed to match up against Dirk or improve our rebounding?

Oh yeah that is the right attitude! Lets not address our biggest issues: rebounding and the match-up against Dirk. Lets instead rely on the bounce of the ball for the win.

"I think there will be a time and a place where there's an opportunity to address athleticism on the wing," Buford said.

Havent we been talking about getting an athletic long 3 for the last three summers? It bites us in the ass this year and Buffords line still doesnt change, "next year it will happen."

Next year, the Spurs could have as many as four draft picks (one in the first round and three in the second) in what figures to be a considerably deeper pool of talent.

More draft picks for Euros that we are not going to bring over for 3-5 years (if we even bring them over at all)? How exactly is that going to help Timmy? Even if we pick some US college players they wont be productive until after Tim is out of his prime.

Bruno
07-22-2006, 09:20 AM
Exactly.

:lol @ timvp who cuts Buford's quotes just to serve his Reggie Scrubans love.

4 draft picks? Spurs 1st and second plus one from Milwaukee, what is the fourth pick from?

I'm suprised too. maybe it's a mistake or the pick Spurs get in the Rasho trade is a 2007 pick (I think it was Hornets' 2009 second round pick).

Elson's was front-loaded
That's something Elson's haters will like, it make him more tradable.

Streakyshooter08
07-22-2006, 09:26 AM
Mhm... I am just confused by one thing: If the Spurs know that they need rebounding, why didn't they sign a good rebounder? I hope they will be able to land a long, good rebounding 3 during the summer...

Bruno
07-22-2006, 09:30 AM
Mhm... I am just confused by one thing: If the Spurs know that they need rebounding, why didn't they sign a good rebounder?

If the rebounder isn't able to defend on Dirk or Howard, he will be useless against Dallas. (like Nazr)
Spurs weren't a bad rebounding team during the reagular season.

I hope they will be able to land a long, good rebounding 3 during the summer...

Easier to say than to get. There are few players like that.

picnroll
07-22-2006, 09:56 AM
Free agent fun for '08.

Unrestricted Free Agents
Baron Davis - pass
Cory Maggete - pass
Elton Brand - Spurs went after him once and nearly got a signature when he was restricted, things in Clip land have changed though
Gilbert Arenas - Another shot at my '03 favorite. Said he wants a team with a title shot. A 27 year olds Parker and Arenas in the backcourt :smokin
Jason Kidd - Pop couldn't make that mistake agan, could he?
Jermaine O'Neal - possible if he isn't broken down by then. But a long term exensive deal? Pass
Marion -
Richard Hamilton - Not for near max
And
Tim Duncan - :eek

Team Option to date
Al Jefferson
Iguodala
Biendrins
Dwight Howard - dreaming
Okafor
Jameer Nelson
Josh Childress
Josh Smith
Kevin Martin
Deng
Krstic
Quinton Ross
Telfair
Livingston
Bruce Bowen - who could help the Spurs with a renegotiated contract

Many lesser players, i.e.,
Tony Allen
Khryyapa

furry_spurry
07-22-2006, 10:10 AM
When your primary concern is money and not winning, then yes you can be considered cheap.

So who did we get that is supposed to match up against Dirk or improve our rebounding?

Oh yeah that is the right attitude! Lets not address our biggest issues: rebounding and the match-up against Dirk. Lets instead rely on the bounce of the ball for the win.

Havent we been talking about getting an athletic long 3 for the last three summers? It bites us in the ass this year and Buffords line still doesnt change, "next year it will happen."

More draft picks for Euros that we are not going to bring over for 3-5 years (if we even bring them over at all)? How exactly is that going to help Timmy? Even if we pick some US college players they wont be productive until after Tim is out of his prime.
Wow- someone who made most of my comments for me. First, I don't see how they brought in the guys they did if they claim their problems were rebounding and defending Dirk. I also don't buy the notion that there were more significant needs than an athletic wing player. Pop himself talked about that as a priority, but the Spurs used the MLE on big men- a need they themselves created when they traded a starting center for a perimeter-shooting, bad defensive PF and a bad attitude, washed-up SF simply to save money. I also can't believe that people are buying into the notion that the team will be rejuvenated by a late first round pick and a bunch of second round picks- no matter how deep the draft may be. This isn't some bottom- dwelling, rebuilding team.

But this is the line I dislike the most:

The Spurs hope Elson, Butler, Bonner and the rest of their additions will contribute enough to keep them contending for a championship the next two years.
I expect more from a team with Duncan, Manu, and Tony than hope than some scrubs will possibly do enough to call the Spurs a contender.

T Park
07-22-2006, 10:15 AM

What long 3 was available they should have gotten?

Names please genius........

So who did we get that is supposed to match up against Dirk

Name me one FA out there that would have.

T Park
07-22-2006, 10:17 AM
Once again Furry Spurry

Who was a FA out there that they should've gotten.

All youve done is bitch bitch bitch and never provide solutions

As per fucking usual.

T Park
07-22-2006, 10:19 AM
But this is the line I dislike the most:
Quote:

The Spurs hope Elson, Butler, Bonner and the rest of their additions will contribute enough to keep them contending for a championship the next two years.

I expect more from a team with Duncan, Manu, and Tony than hope than some scrubs will possibly do enough to call the Spurs a contender.

God your a miserable fuck.

If the Spurs had said

"The Spurs KNOW getting these players will put them over the top"

You would;ve pulled out your retarded 'DERRRRR SPURS PR MACHINE AT WORK DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR"

picnroll
07-22-2006, 10:22 AM
It looks like both Nocioni and Varejao are UFAs after next season. With a little maneuvering, i.e., trading Barry for a one year contract player and not picking up Beno's offer they might squeeze under the cap enough in '07 to make a run at one of those two.

T Park
07-22-2006, 10:25 AM
Id rather go after Nocioni.

rebounding 3.

Varejao? Doubtfull Cleveland lets him go.

Nocioni could be had due to Chicago pretty much selling the franchise to Ben Wallace.

ChumpDumper
07-22-2006, 10:29 AM
Goddam fluff piece.

furry_spurry
07-22-2006, 10:32 AM
Don't claim that getting an athletic perimeter player is not a significant need. They themselves said it was 2 months ago.

Don't act as if the signings you made were to meet the needs of rebounding when they obviously were not.

And for Pete's sake, don't spew a bunch of crap about draft picks and remaking the roster in 2 years when NOW is the time. The Spurs should be talking championships - not merely being content to be called a contender. They know these primarily financially- based moves have not put them over the top- if anything, they have taken a step backward- their only real hope being the development of Jackie Butler.

And, yes I get to complain, because tickets are like any "product"-- and the costs are going up but the quality of the product is going down.

Walton Buys Off Me
07-22-2006, 10:33 AM
Amazing- Buford says they lost because the couldn't get rebounds, yet Pop had two seven footers sitting on the bench all series.

That's intelligent

spurster
07-22-2006, 10:34 AM
"We didn't lose games in those playoffs because guys ran around us," Buford said. "We lost games because we couldn't get rebounds."

Exactly.

The problem I have is the Spurs really didn't do much to correct that. If anything, they've become an even worse rebounding team.

I guess we can hope that small ball won't be as small this season or something like that.
I agree. All the moves are moving sideways rather than moving forward. The problem with that is:

The Spurs also still have a graying roster: Of the 14 players with guaranteed contracts, only five are under 30. By the end of next month, Horry, Bruce Bowen, Brent Barry, Williams and Michael Finley will average almost 35 years.
I guess our hopes are that Bonner and Williams are more than what they seem.

Bruno
07-22-2006, 10:37 AM
It looks like both Nocioni and Varejao are UFAs after next season.

Both will be restricted. :depressed

T Park
07-22-2006, 10:37 AM
yet Pop had two seven footers sitting on the bench all series.

That's intelligent

Yeah that couldn't rebound.

So you say all year dont play Rasho, but when it fits your stupidity, play him?

Strange.

And, yes I get to complain, because tickets are like any "product"-- and the costs are going up but the quality of the product is going down

ALL YOU FUCKING DO IS BITCH!!!

OFFER SOME FUCKING ALTERNATIVES!!!!!!!!!!

Jesus h fucking christ.

Big P
07-22-2006, 10:45 AM
Free agent fun for '08.

Unrestricted Free Agents
Baron Davis - pass
Cory Maggete - pass
Elton Brand - Spurs went after him once and nearly got a signature when he was restricted, things in Clip land have changed though
Gilbert Arenas - Another shot at my '03 favorite. Said he wants a team with a title shot. A 27 year olds Parker and Arenas in the backcourt :smokin
Jason Kidd - Pop couldn't make that mistake agan, could he?
Jermaine O'Neal - possible if he isn't broken down by then. But a long term exensive deal? Pass
Marion -
Richard Hamilton - Not for near max
And
Tim Duncan - :eek

Team Option to date
Al Jefferson
Iguodala
Biendrins
Dwight Howard - dreaming
Okafor
Jameer Nelson
Josh Childress
Josh Smith
Kevin Martin
Deng
Krstic
Quinton Ross
Telfair
Livingston
Bruce Bowen - who could help the Spurs with a renegotiated contract

Many lesser players, i.e.,
Tony Allen
Khryyapa

We didn't really almost get a signature from Brand, he actually blew us off & signed an offer sheet with Miami.

picnroll
07-22-2006, 10:49 AM
We didn't really almost get a signature from Brand, he actually blew us off & signed an offer sheet with Miami.
He liked the deal and the Spurs. He blew the Spurs off because Nike came in and offered him more endorsement money if he signed with the larger market Miami. Heat turned around and took the same deal that Presti fashioned and Brand suigned it.

itzsoweezee
07-22-2006, 12:06 PM

well that statement couldn't be more wrong

Mavs_man_41
07-22-2006, 12:36 PM
:smokin
They couldn't rebound because they didn't have anyone taller than Tim in the game.

neither did the mavs......

T Park
07-22-2006, 12:40 PM
well that statement couldn't be more wrong

Well how did they lose?

Uh, they lost the rebounding battles big time in all 7 games.

JUUOT
07-22-2006, 12:57 PM
i know of at least one big name that could be on the market in 1008 to join his best friend and be the most dominant franchise for the next 5 years and be the french dinasty:

BORIS DIAW in 2008!

Butler ian
td
boris
manu
tp

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-22-2006, 01:11 PM

Jumaine Jones and Trevor Ariza are still out there, Qyntel Woods too.

T Park
07-22-2006, 01:19 PM
Obviously the FO knows more about them and feels way differently about them than you.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-22-2006, 01:30 PM
Obviously so, doesn't mean they're right though.

Look, I know you will stubbornly defend the front office until the day you die, but Pop even said, straight out of his mouth, that he felt they needed to go out and find an Aaron McKie type player to stick out at small forward to deal with guys like Dirk.

And spare me the Eric Williams talk, guy is done. So they admitted they needed a small forward, but went out and got two centers, a PF, and an 86 year old point guard.

Yay team.

Sway
07-22-2006, 01:35 PM

Name me one FA out there that would have.

TPark since you asked here are some names:

PF/C: Melvin Ely or Reggie Evans

I really like the Butler signing, but I would have preferred Ely or Evans over Elson. And for the record, I was in favor of letting go of Nazr and Rasho.

SF: Trevor Ariza, Qyntel Woods, Jumaine Jones, DerMarr Johnson or Ronald Dupree

I think not having a long three on the roster is just plain stupid. You can’t tell me that not one of these SFs was worth a shot. At worse we would have gotten a stopgap until something better came along.

Big P
07-22-2006, 02:41 PM
The Suns will not let Boris become an unrestricted FA..they will resign him to a nice contract before we have a chance at him.

Bruno
07-22-2006, 02:44 PM
Just because you need athleticism, you don't want to sign a jackrabbit if he can't play."

cough....Ariza...cough

I think too that if Spurs were interested by Ariza, they would have called Brown (like they did for Butler) and Larry Brown didn't like Ariza.

Kori Ellis
07-22-2006, 02:45 PM
cough....Ariza...cough

I think too that if Spurs were interested by Ariza, they would have called Brown (like they did for Butler) and Larry Brown didn't like Ariza.

Well I know Pop likes Ariza.

ShoogarBear
07-22-2006, 02:47 PM
Kinda funny how Ludden only mentions the Spurs going after Alonzo.

I guess it wouldn't look good to say that Pryzbilla (and maybe even Wallace) also turned the Spurs down.

ChumpDumper
07-22-2006, 04:09 PM
I'll ask this again: how much time do you expect a free agent long three to get in the swing rotation that already has Bowen, Manu and Finley and even Barry? To say nothing of all the power forwards on the roster if they have the ability to play that position.

Is the number you come up with very attractive to a young player who is already established in the league and wants to play more?

It's kind of a hard sell to a young vet. There will have to be trades.

Bruno
07-22-2006, 04:19 PM
I'll ask this again: how much time do you expect a free agent long three to get in the swing rotation that already has Bowen, Manu and Finley and even Barry?

Agree with that, we need to trade Barry if we want to use a long SF. The long SF should too be able to play some PF.

timvp
07-22-2006, 04:29 PM
:lol @ timvp who cuts Buford's quotes just to serve his Reggie Scrubans love.

I gave up on the Reggie Evans idea a long time ago when the Spurs started going after centers rather than power forwards. Doesn't really make sense to me unless Pop is going to change his small ball strategy, but we'll see.

Your big offseason trade idea was getting Al Harrington. How did that go? Did Chicago do that Rasho for cap space trade you were pimping? :lol :rollin

spurster
07-22-2006, 04:33 PM
Wooo hooo! The Spurs are saving money while TD and Manu in their primes. Go Spurs Go!

timvp
07-22-2006, 04:35 PM
Regarding the future of this team, I'm hoping the Spurs still have a trade or two in them. This team as it is now isn't good enough I don't think. They'd need Butler and Bonner to come in and play at very high levels.

Dallas is a younger team who now knows they can beat the Spurs. Another year of experience is just going to make them better. Plus you also have Phoenix and Miami to deal with.

The Spurs need an athlete on the perimeter. I don't care if it's a jackrabbit or whatever, the Spurs need a guy who can come in and guard multiple positions and rebound. Without that I think Dallas is just going to run right by them again.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-22-2006, 04:36 PM
Yeah thats why we need to tank the season to get Oden.

Bruno
07-22-2006, 04:40 PM
Your big offseason trade idea was getting Al Harrington. How did that go? Did Chicago do that Rasho for cap space trade you were pimping? :lol :rollin

Al Harrington was a pipe dream.
And for the Rasho for capspace, I was one of the few saying that Rasho trade value isn't that low than what people thing. We get expirings contract for him (Bonner can be usefull) and a second round pick, It's even better than what I thought : http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1031603&postcount=22

timvp
07-22-2006, 04:47 PM
I want Al Harrington and I think it's not a pipe dream.
Start him at PF : Parker/Manu/Bruce/Harrington/Duncan => my starting lineup for 2007.
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1002749&highlight=harrington#post1002749

Still waiting on the players Bruno wants the Spurs to go after. Al Harrington pipe dream doesn't count.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=989011&highlight=harrington+pipe+dream#post989011

And now ...

Al Harrington was a pipe dream.

:)

Bruno
07-22-2006, 04:55 PM
:)

Nice find. :)

Getting Al Harrington wasn't a pipe dream, Spurs had enough assets outside the big 3 to get him because he was an UFA.

But I've always said that it was unlikely.

It was a pipe dream not because it was unrealistic but because it was unlikely.

SenorSpur
07-22-2006, 04:55 PM
Regarding the future of this team, I'm hoping the Spurs still have a trade or two in them. This team as it is now isn't good enough I don't think. They'd need Butler and Bonner to come in and play at very high levels.

Dallas is a younger team who now knows they can beat the Spurs. Another year of experience is just going to make them better. Plus you also have Phoenix and Miami to deal with.

The Spurs need an athlete on the perimeter. I don't care if it's a jackrabbit or whatever, the Spurs need a guy who can come in and guard multiple positions and rebound. Without that I think Dallas is just going to run right by them again.

Agree completely.

I keep hoping that the FO is not yet done. I can't believe they're actually serious about waiting until next season to address a position of need in which Pop indicated was such a priority after the conclusion of this past season.

BTW, I called into Ticket760 on Friday to get Vex and Wally's take on Qyntel Woods. It so happens that assistant GM Sam Presti followed my call and they indirectly asked him about Woods. Presti's answer was an unimpressive "he's a fine player and would make a valuable contribution on some team". He never directly indicated whether or not the Spurs are interested.

Ariza or Woods, I don't care. Just get one.

CaptainLate
07-22-2006, 05:38 PM
Id rather go after Nocioni. rebounding 3.

Varejao? Doubtfull Cleveland lets him go.

Couldn't we already have him (via the draft)...vice Beno?

furry_spurry
07-22-2006, 05:44 PM
I think the disappointment is that at least thus far they got no one even to try. They filled the roster with a bunch of other guys and did not get a single one who is even a project athletic perimeter guy. I also don't believe they will carry more than 14 players, so unless they trade someone, I think this roster is pretty set, at least until February. Whereas 2 months ago I was hearing talk of Williams not being here- either by trade or buy out- it seems more and more that he will be here because the Spurs need some SF.

ChumpDumper
07-22-2006, 05:46 PM
Who would sign to be at best the fourth swingman?

remingtonbo2001
07-22-2006, 06:16 PM
Yea! We're finally tanking this season? Yeah, It's one shitty season, one shitty game after one shitty game, shitty quarter after quarter.....BUT THEN.....From the corner of your eye, Peter Holt JOLST his fist in celebration, the ever FAMOUS HO-OHHH, once again as the Spurs recieve the 1st selection in the 2007 Draft. Could we take it? One more time? Duncan and Oden, almost like BREAD AND BUTTER......NO...NO....Better...More like 5-OH and Timmy.....That would be too perfect......But then again, so was landing Tim Duncan....I remember that all too well...Watching him dominate the college game, and like now, hoping that one day he might, just might be a Spur. The possibilities we all thought then, now becoming reality. Thanks Tim.....By the way, you need to be working on your FREETHROWS....Really thats what POP needs to be doing. He needs to be at Timmy's house at 5 a.m. every morning. Get Tim's butt out of bed and hit the line. Alright maybe a quick STROODLE. Five hours should provide a good workout. Maybe have some video of CUBAN in the backround taunting.....being Cuban.....That should provide an accurate distraction simulation.....Then after freethrows, Tim should hit the weights....It would be nice to see him put on 5-10lbs of muscle.....He would SO DOMINATE.....It would be REDICULIOUS....Tim I really hope you get HEALTHY....Alright I'm done

CaptainLate
07-22-2006, 06:47 PM
....By the way (Tim), you need to be working on your FREETHROWS....Really thats what POP needs to be doing. He needs to be at Timmy's house at 5 a.m. every morning. Get Tim's butt out of bed and hit the line...Five hours should provide a good workout. Maybe have some video of CUBAN in the backround taunting.....being Cuban.....That should provide an accurate distraction simulation.....

BTW, how many FTs did Tim miss in Game 7 v. Mavs last playoffs? :depressed

remingtonbo2001
07-22-2006, 06:56 PM
What was his FREETHROW PERCENTAGE during the entire season, including playoffs. I'm not a one game ANALYST. I try to envision the overall picture. If Tim is able to pull his FREETHROW percentage over 75%, I would be pleased. Now, I understand that pulling over 75% is exceptional for FOWARD/CENTERS, but TIM is more than capable of doing so. It's just a matter of determination, and I for one believe Tim's got it.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-22-2006, 08:39 PM
Ahh, people once again - what were they supposed to do this offseason?? Resign Nazr for way more than he's worth? Keep Rasho's bloated contract that we know was bad? Who in the hell were they supposed to get? Everyone acts like there is some great move that wasn't made, but the truth is that there were no great moves to make. Clearing salaries and bad contracts during a weak free agent and draft year to make room to manuever during a much more lucrative free agent and draft year is the smart thing to do. So many of you just don't understand that for some reason.

That's exactly what I've been saying.

And from what Sam said in the article, it's obvious they will look for our young 3 in next year's draft.

If we want a rebounding 3, I'm very surprised we haven't splashed some cash at Jumaine Jones. He grabbed about 8bds/40mins last year, can shoot the 3, he's 6'8" and only 27... Williams' expiring contract for a signed-and-traded Jones for 3mil/yr over 4 yrs anyone??? However, I think we're gonna see if Williams has anything left in the tank before they consider trading him, or they already have a deal in place and are waiting until they can activate it on Aug 21.

RC's Boss
07-22-2006, 09:09 PM
umm i wonder if tp can stop hogging the ball and play like nash pick n roll with butler, since butler is kind of amares build, needs work on his offensive game though.
Parker "can't" play like Nash. Nor can Nash play like him. His strengths are what they are and he uses them. People can dis Tony all they want, but we won 63 games and finished 1st in our conference. While we didn't go all the way, we had HCA b/c of Tony. He held us down during the reg. season. Give him credit!

Rescueone
07-22-2006, 10:59 PM

That would be from Toronto!!!

Bruno
07-23-2006, 03:55 AM
That would be from Toronto!!!

http://www.nba.com/raptors/news/pressrelease_062106.html

The Toronto Raptors announced Wednesday they have acquired centre Rasho Nesterovic and cash considerations from the San Antonio Spurs in exchange for forwards Eric Williams and Matt Bonner, and a 2009 second-round draft pick.

AdmiralMVP
07-24-2006, 05:11 PM

Well said. Short of trading for J.R., who were the Spurs supposed to get? The free agent pool and draft class was pretty thin this year.

wildbill2u
07-24-2006, 08:35 PM
I'm not pessimistic, but it is dumb to aim for an improvement of 2pts.

The aim should be to step on the opponent's throat in crunch time and crush them by 10 like the twin towers used to do.

That's a lot easier to do when the twin towers were Duncan and Robinson--two of the top 50 players of all time.

Somehow Duncan and Rasho or Duncan and Nazr don't provide quite the same crushing ability.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-24-2006, 10:44 PM
Somehow Duncan and Rasho or Duncan and Nazr don't provide quite the same crushing ability

They didn't have any problem in 2005. Never got the chance to see in 2006 against the Mavs.

ducks
07-24-2006, 10:46 PM
because he sucked and played with no confidence

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-25-2006, 12:09 AM
Exactly.

Where's the long three???

nobodi_home
07-26-2006, 08:08 PM
As the first comment here stated, the Spuds haven't learned a damned thing. I agree.

From the newspaper comments, it seems this general manager, Bufford, is more BUFFOON than anything. He wouldn't be on my payroll.

But it's all for the good. Let the season begin, let it roll for 82 games and then we can see how much a buffoon Bufford really is. He really ought to quit San Antonio and go work for Microsoft. What company can anyone think of where "change for the sake of change" is the corporate guiding light?

Another useful exercise is to look up these NBA teams at the financial websites and examine their financial status. A good many are not doing so well. Even San Antonio for 2004 showed only 108 million dollars in sales which was a 2.9% increase. That is pretty pathetic when you consider they won the title the year before. Don't have the figures for the current year. Who cares.

That Bufford even thought of trying to get Mourning to come to San Antonio tells me what a really strange dude he is. Mourning? Good grief, April Fools Day was a long time ago.

When Ginobli, Parker and His Hollowness King Duncan figure out how to play pro basketball, SAS might be in line for another title. You know what I mean, not making stupid fouls that give your opponent a chance to tie the game and missing 1 foot layups with 2 seconds remaining. No one ever discusses this, do they? Sacred cows cannot be eaten!!

LaMarcus Bryant
07-26-2006, 08:17 PM
Why couldn't pop play our regular rotation for one fucking game. Just one god damn game?!?!?! Our knowledge of the former and current state of our team would be so much greater. We are all, in a way, in the dark when it comes to our true rebounding situation. By true I mean how we'd fare against smaller teams with our CENTER.

Kori Ellis
07-26-2006, 08:17 PM
nobodi home, Are you a Spurs fan?

Solid D
07-26-2006, 10:02 PM
nobodi home, Are you a Spurs fan?

I think the lights are on, but.....

ChumpDumper
07-27-2006, 02:53 AM
When did Duncan not know how to play basketball?