PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want John Salmons?

SilverPlayer
07-22-2006, 01:10 AM
Looks like he just backed out of his Toronto deal, maybe he wants to win. We drafted him for philly, maybe we should give him a whirl.

TORONTO -- John Salmons backed out of a sign-and-trade deal that would have sent the swingman from the Philadelphia 76ers to the Toronto Raptors, the Toronto Star reported Saturday.

"Upon reviewing the basketball situation in Toronto, John decided it's not the best fit for him," Salmons' agent, Joel Bell, said a statement released Friday. "In a very stressful and tough decision, he decided he could not accept the opportunity to play for the Raptors, even though he was excited about the prospect of being in Toronto."

Raptors officials, who thought they had agreed with Salmons on a $23 million, five-year deal as part of a sign-and-trade transaction for a 2007 second-round draft pick, were surprised when he pulled out.

"I'm sorry it didn't work out, I wish him the best," Toronto president and general manager Bryan Colangelo said.

The 6-foot-6 swingman has few options. After he turned down an offer from the Phoenix Suns to supposedly sign with Toronto, a qualifying offer given him by the Sixers was rescinded Thursday. He now has no guaranteed deal anywhere for next season.link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2526850&campaign=rss&source=NBAHeadlines)

SpursIndonesia
07-22-2006, 01:17 AM
Isn't this guy listed at 6'9" when got drafted back then ? Now he's just 6'6" ?
http://forum.chip.co.id/images/smilies/extra/ask.gif

SilverPlayer
07-22-2006, 01:18 AM
here's his draft profile:

Full Name:
John Rashall Salmons
Position:
Guard/Forward
College:
Miami
Height:
6-7
Weight:
High School:
Plymouth Whitemarsh HS (Plymouth-Meeting, Pa.)
Birthdate:
December 12, 1979
Birthplace:
Philadelphia

Statistics

NBA DRAFT 2002
Selected in the first round (26th overall) by the San Antonio Spurs ... Draft rights traded with Mark Bryant and draft rights to Randy Holcolmb (No. 57) to Philadelphia for Speedy Claxton.

HIGHLIGHTS
Versatile player started 107 straight games at Miami, the second-longest streak in school history (Kevin Norris, 108).
Tied with teammate Elton Tyler for most games played in school history and ranks third in career assists and steals and 13th in scoring.
Is the only player in Hurricane history to record at least 50 steals in three consecutive seasons and is the only player to surpass 1000 points, 600 rebounds, 400 assists and 150 steals in his career.
Miami won 86 games during his career, more victories than during any other four-year period.

AT MIAMI
As a senior, selected to All-Big East Conference Second Team.
Also honored with Big East Sportsmanship Award.
Played every position other than center.
Led team in assists (6.1 apg, 18th in nation), steals (1.8 spg) and free throw percentage and ranked second in scoring and rebounding (6.0 rpg).
Finished third in Big East in assists and fourth in free throw percentage.
Total of 195 assists is second-best single-season total in school history (Vernon Jennings, 218).
Earned MVP honors of the Virgin Islands Paradise Jam after averaging 17.7 points, 6.3 rebounds, 5.3 assists and 2.7 steals in three contests.
Nearly recorded first triple-double in school history with 15-point, 10-assist, nine-rebound effort against Charlotte.
Totaled 16 points, five rebounds and four assists in NCAA Tournament game vs. Missouri.

Was an All-Big East Third Team pick as a junior after starting every game at shooting guard.
Topped team in rebounding (6.0 rpg), assists (4.0 apg) and steals (2.0 spg) while ranking second in scoring. In conference games, was the only player in the Big East to rank among conference leaders in scoring (20th), rebounding (17th), assists (11th), steals (fifth), free throw percentage (10th) and assist-to-turnover ratio (13th).
Paced team in scoring nine times and rebounding 11 times.
Reached double digits in scoring a team-high 23 times, including career-high 30-point game against West Virginia.

As a sophomore, started at forward and ranked second on the team in steals (1.5 spg), assists (1.9 apg) and blocks (0.6 bpg); was third in rebounding (5.4 rpg) and fourth in scoring.
Scored in double figures 20 times.

As a freshman, often guarded opposition’s top player.
Held All-Big Ten guard Michael Redd (Milwaukee Bucks) of Ohio State to 6-of-20 shooting from the field and Big East Player of the Year Richard Hamilton (Washington Wizards) of Connecticut to 7-of-22 outing.
Pulled down career-high 13 rebounds vs. Pittsburgh.

timvp
07-22-2006, 01:21 AM
He must have gotten a bigger offer elsewhere.

SilverPlayer
07-22-2006, 01:25 AM
Who knows...But it's kind of weird to back out of a deal this late and after turning down a "better" offer from Phoenix.

velik_m
07-22-2006, 01:35 AM
he found out about taxes in Canada.

scratch that. he found out Toronto is in Canada.

TDMVPDPOY
07-22-2006, 01:38 AM
he must really dumb if he doesnt know toronto is in canada

jman3000
07-22-2006, 02:19 AM
he must really dumb if he doesnt know toronto is in canada

:lmao
O the irony.

T Park
07-22-2006, 02:27 AM
Wonder if Charlotte or someone else with significant cap room came a callin.

SpursWillOwn
07-22-2006, 02:52 AM
Charlotte is getting Othello Harrington

ChumpDumper
07-22-2006, 02:55 AM
He's versatile but he'd never play here.

BIG IRISH
07-22-2006, 03:00 AM
He's versatile but he'd never play here.

WHY

ChumpDumper
07-22-2006, 03:02 AM
We have four guys ahead of him. Maybe five.

Darkwaters
07-22-2006, 03:02 AM
Charlotte is getting Othello Harrington

Yea, but Charlotte has not even met the league minimum for their payroll this next season. They need some front-loaded paychecks going out right about now. Plus, since they let Kareem Rush go they might be in need of another swingman? I'd say it's possible.

furry_spurry
07-22-2006, 10:51 AM
"Upon reviewing the basketball situation in Toronto, John decided it's not the best fit for him," Salmons' agent, Joel Bell, said a statement released Friday. "In a very stressful and tough decision, he decided he could not accept the opportunity to play for the Raptors, even though he was excited about the prospect of being in Toronto."

Translation: He realized he wasn't going to start.

Bruno
07-22-2006, 10:56 AM
BTW, how a team can spend $23M on John Salmons ?

Phoenix is very lucky that Salmons choose Toronto : they get Banks for about the same amount and Banks is way better than Salmons.

furry_spurry
07-22-2006, 10:57 AM
I think Toronto is lucky, too.

spurster
07-22-2006, 11:10 AM
BTW, how a team can spend $23M on John Salmons ?

Phoenix is very lucky that Salmons choose Toronto : they get Banks for about the same amount and Banks is way better than Salmons.
That's what I was thinking. His efficiency/minute was 0.328, ranking 332nd out of 458. Is he supposed to be some kind of defensive stopper?

Bruno
07-22-2006, 11:10 AM
I think Toronto is lucky, too.

Yes they are lucky too but they need to sign another player now and few FA are available now. DeShawn Stevenson is maybe the best of the rest.

Edit : Brent Barry can too be a solution.

Darkwaters
07-22-2006, 11:28 AM
DeShawn Stevenson sucks. He shot like 13% from 3 last year.

resistanze
07-22-2006, 11:34 AM
THANK GOD!
23 Mil on him??
Thank God.

Bruno
07-22-2006, 11:35 AM
DeShawn Stevenson sucks.

Maybe but he is the best SG on the market (I don't think that Toronto want to sign Wells) and I take him aver Salmons.

He shot like 13% from 3 last year.

Worst stat to prove that Stevenson sucks.
When you shoot 15 three pointers in a season, 3P% means nothing.
He just can't shoot 3's and the good news is that he knows it.

velik_m
07-22-2006, 02:03 PM
Toronto has room, they can make trades for good but overpaid players.

furry_spurry
07-22-2006, 06:43 PM
Yes they are lucky too but they need to sign another player now and few FA are available now. DeShawn Stevenson is maybe the best of the rest.

Edit : Brent Barry can too be a solution.

Toronto is working on some trades. And yes, I have thought of Brent. He would be a good choice. Alvin Williams' contract is only partially guaranteed and could be bought out by whomever he is traded to.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-22-2006, 08:46 PM
Just like to point out that I brought up Salmons on the 14th, and the response to him then was also underwhelming:

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43808&highlight=john+salmons

He's decent, and I think he'd be a very good plugnplay 1-2-3 on the bench fpr 1.5-2mil/yr, but we don't really have the cap flex to afford that, and Barry fulfills that role anyway.

Decent player though, and I'm curious to see what he will do with more playing time.

Bruno
07-23-2006, 03:50 AM
Toronto is working on some trades. And yes, I have thought of Brent. He would be a good choice. Alvin Williams' contract is only partially guaranteed and could be bought out by whomever he is traded to.

If I remember weel, there is still a big part of Alvin Williams' contract that is guaranteed. I thought more at a trade like Barry for a TE + 2nd round pick (Toronto is maybe enough under the cap to do it).

But reports say that they will sign Fred Jones : he is quite good even if he is undersized for the SG spot.

Beer is Good
07-23-2006, 11:15 PM
If I remember weel, there is still a big part of Alvin Williams' contract that is guaranteed. I thought more at a trade like Barry for a TE + 2nd round pick (Toronto is maybe enough under the cap to do it).

But reports say that they will sign Fred Jones : he is quite good even if he is undersized for the SG spot.
Toronto has one major problem going into next season - they have a weak stiff for a center :lol

Who did that guy play with before Toronto? How in the hell did they manage to get rid of him? Damn Houdini's