PDA

View Full Version : bowen a lock ///

ducks
07-22-2006, 08:28 AM
ESPN Insider
Archive

LAS VEGAS -- Cutdown day is coming for Team USA, which needs to whittle its roster of 24 players down to 15 before heading overseas, and then down to 12 for the World Championships.

The first cuts will come Tuesday after the final day of practice. Then the team gets a five-day break, and the final active roster won't be submitted until Aug. 18 -- the day before the tournament begins.

Chris Paul's game was already familiar to Coach K in the ACC.Thus far, Chris Paul has improved his stock the most, with Carmelo Anthony a close second and Joe Johnson third, judging by comments made by coach Mike Krzyzewski after practice Friday.

"Paul has really jumped up. He's the truest point guard, and he gets it downcourt so fast that we have to be able to run with him, and we're not in shape yet to do that," Krzyzewski said.

"Carmelo has stood out, he's like on a mission. I don't know what mission it is, but he's been terrific. I didn't know Joe Johnson, and I don't know if there can be a more solid player. I mean he can play four positions, he shoots, he defends and he doesn't say peep. There's high maintenance, low maintenance and no maintenance. He's no maintenance. And I'm impressed with the potential of Dwight Howard. What an amazing guy, and I just think he's going to grow."

The United States invited 24 players to training camp in Las Vegas, but injuries sidelined Kobe Bryant, J.J. Redick and Paul Pierce, and the death of an infant son caused Lamar Odom to withdraw. Amare Stoudemire is attending and playing, but he's still recovering from knee surgery and would be an extreme longshot to make the final active roster. Michael Redd and Chauncey Billups are in camp but won't be traveling to Asia because of personal commitments.

That leaves 17 players (18 counting Stoudemire) vying for 12 spots, and Krzyzewski offered some insight into what the decision-making process will be when the first cut is made Tuesday.

"We have to be careful not to multiply positions too much," Krzyzewski said. "Can we take two or three points guards on the trip? How many big guys do we need? On the perimeter, do people duplicate something? That's where the decisions will have to be made, and that's going to be tough."

With Coach K's comments in mind, Insider handicaps each player's chances of actually wearing a Team USA jersey when the World Championships begins:

• Carmelo Anthony: A lock to make the active roster, and he may even be earning himself a spot in the starting lineup. "Carmelo came in here as part of a mission, and he has played accordingly. He's making a statement early on in this camp with how much he wants to make this team," team director Jerry Colangelo told Insider.

• Gilbert Arenas: The coach's infatuation with the Paul is going to be bad news for one of the other point guards, but Arenas is clearly the best of them, and Team USA will need his outside shooting to contend with the steady diet of zone defenses they'll see. Pretty close to being a lock for the final 12.

• Shane Battier: His Duke roots won't hurt him, but the numbers game will likely work against him. Odds are he'll be a practice player who makes the trip to Japan but doesn't make the cut from 15 to 12.

• Chauncey Billups: His wife is expecting a baby, and he will not travel to Asia. He still might be a member of the 2008 Olympic team, and he might even play next summer at the Tournament of the Americas in Venezuela if the U.S. fails to win the gold medal in Japan.

• Chris Bosh: He's a favorite of Colangelo's, and Team USA desperately needs his size and inside-outside game. Look for him to be the first big man off the bench in Japan, though he may start against teams with multiple big men who can shoot the 3.

• Bruce Bowen: This is the guy they were talking about when they said they wanted to bring in role players, and Bowen's role will be to defend the opposing team's best scorer. If the US faces Argentina, he'll be the one guarding Spurs teammate Manu Ginobili. With his defense and 3-point shooting, he's another lock for the final 12.

• Elton Brand: He's America's best big man, at least until Greg Oden (who attended two days of this training camp) gets to the NBA, and he has plenty of international basketball experience. Probably the starting center in Japan.

• Kobe Bryant: Stunned Colangelo and Krzyzewski by undergoing knee surgery a couple of days before camp opened. Is not in Las Vegas yet, but is expected to attend the second phase of camp beginning July 31.

• Kirk Hinrich: Has been slowed during camp by a tweaked hamstring, which hasn't helped his case for possibly being the third point guard. It's still too early to count him out, though.

• Dwight Howard: A lock for the 15-man squad that will leave for Asia on Aug. 4, and it's hard to see him being kept off the final 12-man roster. Coach K sounded genuinely impressed, saying he expects to see even greater things two weeks from now.

• LeBron James: The King is a lock for Japan, the only question being what his role will be in the World Championship. You could make the case that he'd be the perfect sixth man if Coach K went with a starting five of Paul, Dwyane Wade, Bowen, Anthony and Brand.

• Antawn Jamison: Told Insider after practice Friday that this is the first time in his life he's been in the position of trying out for a team. "I'm in a situation where I'm on the bubble, but I think I'm unique. I can come in and shoot from the outside is they need me to, or I can score on the inside. I can adapt too to what we're doing defensively, and I think that fits in to what this team is trying to do."

• Joe Johnson: Another lock for Japan, and will probably be the emergency third point guard behind Paul and Arenas. Put him out there with a couple of other shooters, and no one will dare play zone against the U.S.

• Shawn Marion: The only guy in camp who played on both the 2002 World Championship team and the 2004 Olympic team. A favorite of Colangelo's, so we'll list him as a 99 percent lock to make the final 12.

• Brad Miller: When the team bigwigs debate the merits of bringing an extra big man, this is one of the main guys they're talking about. He'll probably be on the plane to Asia, but a spot on the final 12 will have to be earned -- or created by an injury.

• Adam Morrison: He's in camp to get a taste of the program, but his stay is expected to be short. He's the easiest guy to cut, so count on him getting cut Tuesday.

• Lamar Odom: Withdrew after Jayden Odom, his third child, died in a crib last month just 6 1/2 months after being born.

• Chris Paul: The reigning Rookie of the Year, as noted above, has been the most impressive player in camp. He's not a lock yet for the final 12, but he's pretty close.

• Paul Pierce: Is scheduled to have minor surgery on his left elbow Aug. 1, and has not been in camp.

• Michael Redd: Is attending camp, but won't be traveling to Asia because of his upcoming marriage plans. Would have been the pure shooter the Americans have been lacking the past few years, and will probably play in Beijing.

• J.J. Redick: Has been bothered by a back injury, and attended camp for only two days before leaving. Never had a shot at making the final 15, but viewed as a building block for the future.

• Luke Ridnour: He was an early favorite to be one of the first cuts, but Hinrich's hamstring injury might be helping his cause somewhat. If he makes the final 15, he'd be a practice player in Asia.

• Amare Stoudemire: Lots of people forget he was a member of the 2004 Olympic team because Larry Brown kept him buried on the end of the bench. His recent knee surgery makes him the easiest cut aside from Morrison.

• Dwyane Wade: A lock for Japan, and probably a lock for the starting lineup. But will Coach K use him as the starting point guard? Or does he put him at shooting guard and find another place to use LeBron? It'll to be interesting to watch as the team plays exhibitions in Las Vegas (against Puerto Rico Aug. 3), Guangzhou, China (against China and Lithuania Aug. 7-8) and Seoul, South Korea (against Lithuania and Korea Aug. 13 and 15).

Chris Sheridan, a national NBA reporter for the past decade, covers the league for ESPN Insider.

angel_luv
07-22-2006, 09:24 AM
Way to go Bruce. :)

Cant_Be_Faded
07-22-2006, 09:49 AM
Every time we talk about team USA i get so pissed off due to LeBron and co. not being able to dribble the ball once on a fast break due to travelling habits that are engrained in their game.

BruceBowenFan
07-22-2006, 09:57 AM
Lets Go Bruce Lets GO

furry_spurry
07-22-2006, 10:17 AM
I just don't see how he is going to get much playing time ahead of the other guys-- no matter how good he is defensively.

ducks
07-22-2006, 10:28 AM
because they want role players
they do not need scores at every postion

T Park
07-22-2006, 10:28 AM
Senor sunshine rises its furry head again.

furry_spurry
07-22-2006, 10:34 AM
It's called realistic. List your 12 guys and their minutes.

ducks
07-22-2006, 10:36 AM
well bowen can hit the three
and is always a runner up in the best d guy in the nba
I think he makes it

Fabbs
07-22-2006, 10:39 AM
• Elton Brand: He's America's best big man, at least until Greg Oden (who attended two days of this training camp) gets to the NBA, and he has plenty of international basketball experience. Probably the starting center in Japan.

The article doesn't have a word on how Oden did. Virtual lock for #1 pick, don't see how the Spurs could finagle getting him but sounds like the real deal. Anybody come across comments on how Oden did at this camp?

ducks
07-22-2006, 10:40 AM
I laugh if oden gets cut

Kori Ellis
07-22-2006, 10:41 AM
I'm guessing these will be the final 12 for this summer.

PG's
Paul
Arenas
(Johnson)
(Wade)

Wings
Wade
LeBron
Kobe
Carmelo
Johnson
Bowen

Bigs
Brand
Howard
Bosh
Marion

3 Alternates to go on trip:
Miller
Hinrich
Battier

furry_spurry
07-22-2006, 10:45 AM
well bowen can hit the three
and is always a runner up in the best d guy in the nba
I think he makes it
I never said he wouldn't make the team- I said he wouldn't get much of a chance to play- especially, because some of those other wings are also good defenders.

T Park
07-22-2006, 10:47 AM
when did lebron, carmello become good defenders?

picnroll
07-22-2006, 10:51 AM

PG's
Paul
Arenas
(Johnson)
(Wade)

Wings
Wade
LeBron
Kobe
Carmelo
Johnson
Bowen

Bigs
Brand
Howard
Bosh
Marion

Miller
Hinrich
Battier
Kobe?

BruceBowenFan
07-22-2006, 10:53 AM
when did lebron, carmello become good defenders? :lol :lol :lol i was wondering that 2

Kori Ellis
07-22-2006, 10:54 AM
Kobe?

I thought the rumors were that he was going to be ready. No?

furry_spurry
07-22-2006, 10:54 AM
I said some- not all.

I'd call Kobe a good defender- wouldn't you?

How about Wade?

picnroll
07-22-2006, 10:56 AM
I thought the rumors were that he was going to be ready. No?
Nothing I've seen but maybe.

ABDENOUR POWER
07-22-2006, 10:57 AM

PG's
Paul
Arenas
(Johnson)
(Wade)

Wings
Wade
LeBron
Kobe
Carmelo
Johnson
Bowen

Bigs
Brand
Howard
Bosh
Marion

Miller
Hinrich
Battier

I thought Kobe was out with injury. Other than that your list looks about right.

TheTruth
Kobe?
loser

Kori Ellis
Nothing I've seen but maybe.

Oh I thought I read somewhere that he was making the trip for sure and might be used in spot minutes at the WC.

If not, then I guess he's going as an alternate. I don't know who would take his place on the active spot. I guess it depends if they want another real point.

T Park
07-22-2006, 11:00 AM
How about Wade?

Not as good, nor is he a shut down defender like Bowen.

Just being realistic.

Fabbs
07-22-2006, 11:01 AM
I laugh if oden gets cut
Start laughing. He won't even be playing for Ohio State until January.

A wrist injury kept Greg Oden from taking part in the on-court activities during his two-day stay here. But he did get to take in film sessions and all the intricacies of the process being undertaken by the players, coaches and support staff of USA Basketball.

"I learned so much in two days," said the 7-foot, 250-pound Oden, who could be sidelined until January during his freshman season at Ohio State. "It's hard sitting and watching. But this has been a great learning experience for me." http://www.ajc.com/hawks/content/sports/hawks/stories/0723nbanotes.html

gospursgojas
07-22-2006, 11:04 AM
Anyone know if the 2006 FIBA Championship games will be televised???

Kori Ellis
07-22-2006, 11:06 AM
Anyone know if the 2006 FIBA Championship games will be televised???

When I talked to someone at FIBA a while back, they said some of them would but the contract with the US broadcasters wasn't done yet, so they didn't know specifics.

We are still in discussions with the US broadcasters but do aim to have the major games from Japan covered.

In addition to having TV coverage of selected games we are also planning on having an Internet Broadband offering of games from the men's World Championship in Japan from the FIBA.com website.

I'll follow up and try to find out.

gospursgojas
07-22-2006, 11:11 AM
When I talked to someone at FIBA a while back, they said some of them would but the contract with the US broadcasters wasn't done yet, so they didn't know specifics.

I'll follow up and try to find out.

Cool thanks Kori :fro

ducks
07-22-2006, 11:11 AM
Start laughing. He won't even be playing for Ohio State until January.

A wrist injury kept Greg Oden from taking part in the on-court activities during his two-day stay here. But he did get to take in film sessions and all the intricacies of the process being undertaken by the players, coaches and support staff of USA Basketball.

"I learned so much in two days," said the 7-foot, 250-pound Oden, who could be sidelined until January during his freshman season at Ohio State. "It's hard sitting and watching. But this has been a great learning experience for me." http://www.ajc.com/hawks/content/sports/hawks/stories/0723nbanotes.html

THIS IS BIG NEWS BECAUSE HE COULD NOT GO TO THE DRAFT NEXT YEAR

Avec Fromage
07-22-2006, 11:28 AM
La France va gagner tout les matchs, et Tony Parker va marquer 30 points tout les matchs.

Vive la France!

Taking it to the Hole
07-22-2006, 01:57 PM
I never said he wouldn't make the team- I said he wouldn't get much of a chance to play- especially, because some of those other wings are also good defenders.

Bowen isn't just "a good defender". He's a "lockdown defender". That is why he has a chance to start. He just doesn't slow people down. He shuts them down, plain and simple. :smokin

George Gervin's Afro
07-22-2006, 03:01 PM

PG's
Paul
Arenas
(Johnson)
(Wade)

Wings
Wade
LeBron
Kobe
Carmelo
Johnson
Bowen

Bigs
Brand
Howard
Bosh
Marion

Miller
Hinrich
Battier

I like this list.

shaggy17
07-22-2006, 03:12 PM
Well this really blows. I am happy for Bruce but the fact is he is 35 years old and playing summer games when he needs to be resting. Last thing this team could afford is having a burned out Bowen before the playoffs start. We really need to find that long 3 or this could be a serious concern for us.

xamila rey
07-22-2006, 03:46 PM
Hola!

For those of you who have the spanish programing on direct tv cable, i just heared that TyC ( torneos y competencias) channel got the rights to transmit the WC games.
I will let u know asa i get more info about it.

Fabbs
07-22-2006, 03:55 PM

It sure is. Maybe he won't get cut now.

Solid D
07-22-2006, 03:59 PM
Hola!

For those of you who have the spanish programing on direct tv cable, i just heared that TyC ( torneos y competencias) channel got the rights to transmit the WC games.
I will let u know asa i get more info about it.

Thanks for the news. Please keep us informed.

furry_spurry
07-22-2006, 05:33 PM
Bowen isn't just "a good defender". He's a "lockdown defender". That is why he has a chance to start. He just doesn't slow people down. He shuts them down, plain and simple. :smokin
This is what I mean about realistic-- It is not realistic to claim that Bruce will START for the US team in the WC. Bruce's role will be to go into the game if some player on the opponent- other than a traditional post-up big man- is scoring at will. He will be sent into the game to slow the guy down- to annoy him- to get him out of his rhythm... but he won't start.

furry_spurry
07-22-2006, 05:35 PM
Not as good, nor is he a shut down defender like Bowen.

Wade blocked more shots last season than the Spurs new starting center. :lol

bdictjames
07-22-2006, 05:37 PM
Well Bowen's still the best defender of the lot no doubt

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-22-2006, 06:03 PM
when did lebron, carmello become good defenders?

Ive seen Melo improve his D quite a bit last season but as for Lebron, ive never even seen him want to try and guard the other teams best player :lol

Melo loves to try and guard Lebron when they play but Lebron never guards Melo, not even on the game winning posession :smokin

Obstructed_View
07-22-2006, 06:36 PM
Well Bowen's still the best defender of the lot no doubt
And for that reason he has a chance to make it all the way to the final cut.

ALVAREZ6
07-23-2006, 01:15 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/spurs/pod_060717.jpg

TDMVPDPOY
07-23-2006, 01:22 PM
whether he declares or not, even if he sits out and declare for the draft he still be top5 pick

GrandeDavid
07-23-2006, 04:39 PM
I will be extremely interested in watching and pulling hard for my country thanks to Bowens' participation. Even if he weren't a Spurs player, he's such an inspirational, humble, intelligent, hard worker. As we've been hearing lately either from Bruce directly or Express News beat writers, he truly is living an American dream, i.e. comes from nowhere but through assbusting hard work makes it to the summit of his chosen profession. Way to go, Bruce!

SpursIndonesia
07-24-2006, 09:26 AM
A starting five of Brand, Howard, Bowen, Redd, Paul, would be deadly IMHO. Enough size, enough defense, enough outside shooting, Perhaps lacked of wing penetration a bit. But all you have to do just insert Wade and (healthy) Kobe, it would work as well. Melo might impress in the TC, but i still doubt his game in real, competitive games of the incoming tournament.

Kori Ellis
07-24-2006, 03:58 PM
The finalists will be announced tomorrow at a press conference at 10:30am Pacific time.

GoSpurs44
07-24-2006, 05:48 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_4086805

Not sure if you guys knew already, but apparently Bowen already got cut.

ducks
07-24-2006, 05:51 PM
Article Launched: 07/24/2006 01:00:00 AM MDT

usa basketball
U.S. players new to cutting edge
Team stocked with stars sure to leave some home
By Marc J. Spears
Denver Post Staff Writer

Las Vegas - It's one thing for Bruce Bowen to be cut by the Miami Heat and a Continental Basketball Association team when he wasn't a household name. It's another thing to be cut by USA Basketball when you are.

On a U.S. roster filled with NBA stars, Bowen is one of the few who have been cut. But when the U.S. trims its national team roster from 24 players to 15 on Tuesday and from 15 to 12 by mid-August before the start of the world championships in Japan, many stars are certain to be cut. Bowen, on the bubble to make the final roster, believes his past will help him deal with the outcome.

"I had it a few times," Bowen, a two-time NBA champion with the San Antonio Spurs, said of being cut. "With Miami, I've been cut. With other teams in the CBA. So I think I have an advantage being that I've been through this situation before. The difference is nobody knew me. So when I got cut it was nothing to it.

"Now, I am coming into a situation where people know about me. They know I have two championships. I've been on the (all- NBA) defensive team. I have more backing now than I did when I last tried out for a team."

U.S. rosters have taken hits in recent years, losing players to injuries and family reasons. Injuries will keep Kobe Bryant, Paul Pierce and J.J. Redick from playing in Japan. Family reasons will keep Chauncey Billups, Michael Redd and Lamar Odom home. But picking from a talent-rich pool of 24 players, the U.S. will be able to make up for absences.

U.S. coach Mike Krzyzewski of Duke will make initial cuts Tuesday and three more after exhibition games in South Korea and China next month. Projected bubble players include Shane Battier, Kirk Hinrich, Adam Morrison, Luke Ridnour, Antawn Jamison, Brad Miller and Amare Stoudemire, a Phoenix Suns star coming off a knee injury that caused him to miss most of last season. U.S. assistant and Suns coach Mike D'Antoni said he believes Stoudemire's knees are sound enough to play. Krzyzew- ski has said Nuggets forward Carmelo Anthony has a good chance of being on the team that goes to Japan.

"They are on the (national) team for three years," Krzyzew- ski said of his players. "They may not be the 12 best players (going

ChumpDumper
07-24-2006, 05:52 PM
Nope. the article says he has been cut by other teams before this selection.

ducks
07-24-2006, 05:52 PM
to Japan). (Decisions are made on) how they adapt to the system and how we see them react to one another."

Anthony, LeBron James and Dwyane Wade are among the high-profile players in training camp, with Redick, Morrison, Ridnour and Battier at the other end of the spectrum. Regardless, players say everyone is being treated fairly in camp.

"Everybody's brought down to the same level here," Bowen said. "I've been amazed with how guys take it. You don't have room for guys to be a knucklehead right now. No one is guaranteed anything here and they understand that, so it's about competing."

Battier, a former Duke star who was cut from the U.S. 1999 Goodwill Games team, said: "(The bigger names) aren't acting like they should be treated different. That's a difficult lesson to learn as a 24-year-old superstar. That's made this run a lot smoother."

Gilbert Arenas, a two-time NBA all-star guard, said he would take being cut in stride.

"If I get cut, I'm not sad," he said. "I got to come out here and show my talent. This is the biggest stage. I get to go home with this (USA practice jersey)."

James, though, said he would "go home and probably not be there" for the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games if he did get cut.

"I wouldn't waste their time," he said. "If I couldn't make the travel squad this summer, I wouldn't be good enough to make the Olympics."

Cuts could be more difficult when the next Olympics arrive.

"That makes it a little harder because that's what this whole process is all about, the '08 Olympics," Billups said.

Staff writer Marc J. Spears can be reached at 303-820-5449 or [email protected].

GoSpurs44
07-24-2006, 05:55 PM
Nope. the article says he has been cut by other teams before this selection.
My bad, misread the article. :depressed