PDA

View Full Version : Another Mavs/Pacers deal?

loveforthegame
07-22-2006, 06:57 PM
I'm headed out to dinner so hopefully someone can confirm this while I'm gone. So far it's only being reported on the news so no links have been provided.

It's been posted on a few of the Indy boards and someone posted it on the dallas-mavs.com board as well.

Mavs send Armstrong to the Pacers for Anthony Johnson.

Budkin
07-22-2006, 07:03 PM
Man, they're gonna miss the instant energy that DA would bring off the bench, but overall Johnson is a better PG.

ALVAREZ6
07-22-2006, 07:18 PM
2 scrubs, who cares

ChumpDumper
07-22-2006, 07:32 PM
Why would Indiana trade their 2nd best player?

Lp26
07-22-2006, 07:44 PM
Yea that really doesn't make any sense. Anthony Johnson was their best PG in the post-season.

ChumpDumper
07-22-2006, 07:48 PM
I can only think it's a salary dump if a Harrington deal goes through. Armstrong would have a nonguaranteed deal and be waived like Danny Ferry.

G0D
07-22-2006, 07:58 PM
I'm headed out to dinner so hopefully someone can confirm this while I'm gone. So far it's only being reported on the news so no links have been provided.

It's been posted on a few of the Indy boards and someone posted it on the dallas-mavs.com board as well.

Mavs send Armstrong to the Pacers for Anthony Johnson.

ask me via a prayer and i'll hook you up with the info

jman3000
07-22-2006, 07:58 PM
is Anthony Johnson the same pg who scored like 40 something points during the playoffs for indy?

Lp26
07-22-2006, 07:59 PM
I can only think it's a salary dump if a Harrington deal goes through. Armstrong would have a nonguaranteed deal and be waived like Danny Ferry.

Could be, still not a smart move for them. Tinsley's always injured, and Jasikevicoius (sp?) barely played last year.

If they are going to trade him, they could probably work out a better deal than that.

Vinnie_Johnson
07-22-2006, 08:24 PM

:lol

mavsfan1000
07-22-2006, 10:18 PM
This trade sounds too good to be true. This will make up for the Daniels' trade if it is true.

JMarkJohns
07-22-2006, 10:20 PM

No Kidding. Damn that would suck...

Amarelooms
07-22-2006, 10:23 PM
He's making less than 3 mil a year....why even trade him?? Hope it's true for the Mavs sake at least lol.

td4mvp21
07-22-2006, 10:33 PM
He's making less than 3 mil a year....why even trade him?? Hope it's true for the Mavs sake at least lol.

NO, the Mavs don't need any more players that can score and defend. Too many of their bench players can do that too well already. :lol

StylisticS
07-22-2006, 11:01 PM
Channel 11 news in Dallas reported that it is indeed a trade sending Armstrong to Indiana and Johnson to Dallas.
oh btw..i got this off of db.com

ducks
07-22-2006, 11:09 PM
is devin harris going to play for dallas next year?

Tobias
07-22-2006, 11:12 PM
Whyy does Indy do this move?

mavsfan1000
07-22-2006, 11:26 PM
is devin harris going to play for dallas next year?
Yeah and I expect him to start if we do this trade. Anthony Johnson is just a backup and a solid one at that.

ro_50
07-22-2006, 11:38 PM
Anthony Johnson was Indiana's best point guard last season and almost pratically carried that team in their first-round exit.

I am shocked to as why they would do this.

Lp26
07-22-2006, 11:40 PM
I read on the Indy board that apparently Johnson has said some negative things about the management, team, etc. Don't know what exactly, but maybe thats why this (might) be happening

Also Rick Carlisle LOVES AJ and Bird wants RC to play Sarunas more so that could be a reason

Still Indiana is retarded if they do this . . .

Edited to add,

It's on the Indiana news page too now

windboy226
07-23-2006, 03:31 AM
Josh Powell is rumored to be included too...Sounds like a great deal for Dallas and we get the backup point that we've been looking for. Makes me feel a little better about the Quisy deal.

Bruno
07-23-2006, 04:00 AM
AJ for players like Armstrong, Powell or Podkolzin will be a huge steal for Dallas.
AJ is one of the best backup PG in the league, has been great against in playoff and is underpaid.
I hope for Pacers' fans that more things (like picks..) are involved.

loveforthegame
07-23-2006, 07:52 AM
According to the FWST, the Mavs will send Armstrong, Marshall and Powell to the Pacers for Johnson.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/41630/20060723/pacers_to_acquire_armstrong_from_mavs/

Pacers To Acquire Armstrong From Mavs

23rd July, 2006 - 4:11 am

Indianapolis Star - The Indiana Pacers are on the verge of finalizing a deal with the Mavericks for veteran point guard Darrell Armstrong in a sign-and-trade deal, according to people with knowledge of the situation. According to the Indianapolis Star, the Pacers will give up guard Anthony Johnson in the deal, while also receiving Mavericks forward Josh Powell.

According to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Rawle Marshall will also be included from the Mavericks.

The deal is pending league approval, which could happen as early as Monday.

Johnson, who spent three seasons with the Pacers, was a steady contributor despite roles that ranged from third-string point guard to starter. He averaged 20.0 points, 5.2 assists and 5.0 rebounds while outplaying New Jersey's Jason Kidd in the Pacers' six-game, first-round playoff loss last season.

Trading Johnson, who said the team's "culture has to change" at the end of last season, avoids a point guard controversy with Jamaal Tinsley. Pacers president Larry Bird said Tinsley is "as good as you're going to get" if he is healthy in his season-ending news conference. Tinsley has battled injuries each of the past three seasons.

Sarunas Jasikevicius is also a candidate to be traded in the Pacers' crowded backcourt. Rookie James White and newly acquired Marquis Daniels can also play point guard.

The acquisition of Armstrong, a 13-year veteran, would give the Pacers a veteran voice in the locker room. He has averaged 10.1 points and 4.4 assists in his career. Powell, a rookie last season who went undrafted in 2003, averaged 3.0 points and 2.2 rebounds in 37 games last season.

This is the second offseason trade for the Pacers, who sent Croshere to Dallas for Daniels.

Shooting guard Fred Jones could be the next Pacer traded. The Toronto Star reported today that Jones is headed to the Raptors. The deal could be finalized in the next couple of days.

bulletedge
07-23-2006, 09:11 AM
This is a great deal for the Mavs and it does help make up for trading Daniels ( I never understood why Avery didn't like Daniels).

NBA Junkie
07-23-2006, 09:53 AM
Whyy does Indy do this move?

No shit. Jamaal Tinsley is not exactly Mr. Durability.

AZLouis
07-23-2006, 10:11 AM
Deal near on third point guardBy Art Garcia
Star-Telegram Staff Writer
The Mavericks are on the verge of filling their third point guard slot by trading for Indiana veteran Anthony Johnson, league sources confirmed Saturday night.

The Mavs are sending free-agent guard Darrell Armstrong and forwards Josh Powell and Rawle Marshall to the Pacers in a deal that has been agreed upon but can't be completed until NBA offices open Monday.

Johnson (6-foot-3, 200 pounds), a 10-year veteran, averaged a career-high 9.2 points and 4.3 assists last season, starting 53 games with the Pacers.

He averaged 20 points and 5.2 assists in six playoff games last season. Johnson, 31, has two years left on his contract for $2.64 million and $2.86 million.

Armstrong joined the Mavs during the 2004-05 season. As a free agent, he's agreed to a new contract to facilitate the sign-and-trade arrangement.

With a third point guard behind Jason Terry and Devin Harris settled, the next priority for the Mavs is adding another swingman or reserve power forward.

The Mavs have approximately $2 million remaining from the mid-level exception, a $1.75 million biennial exception and the ability to use Keith Van Horn in another sign-and-trade.

Among available swingmen, Devean George and Fred Jones could be in the team's price range. Power forward Reggie Evans is another option.

mabber
07-23-2006, 10:31 AM
I think this is an excellent trade for Dallas. I really like Anthony Johnson as our backup point guard. He's much better than Armstrong at this stage and the Mavs have obviously decided (after most of summer league) that Powell & Marshall aren't ready to contribute anytime soon. Plus, Johnson has plenty of playoff experience.

Bruno
07-23-2006, 10:40 AM
if the deal is :
Johnson for Armstrong + Powell + Marshall, Bird is a stupid GM.
Trading a solid and underpaid PG for scrubs is laughable.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-23-2006, 11:01 AM
And the Spurs couldn't have gotten in on this? Dallas got better and gave up nothing to do it.

What a joke.

Kori Ellis
07-23-2006, 11:08 AM
I don't know how much better Dallas got. They cleared a couple roster spots if that's what they were looking to do, but not much more.

Anthony Johnson had a great (short) playoffs, but he's not a huge positive. He will probably come to camp out of shape like usual.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-23-2006, 11:10 AM
Johnson's a better point than Darrell Armstrong. Dallas just got a backup PG capable of dropping a 40 point game on someone, we got Jacque Vaughn.

Kori Ellis
07-23-2006, 11:14 AM
Johnson is better than Armstrong or Vaughn, but it seems to me that their goal was to clear some roster spots more than anything. He's just their 3rd point guard and probably will see little time.

mabber
07-23-2006, 11:23 AM
I don't know how much better Dallas got. They cleared a couple roster spots if that's what they were looking to do, but not much more.

Anthony Johnson had a great (short) playoffs, but he's not a huge positive. He will probably come to camp out of shape like usual.

I think it's a bigger deal than you think. The Mavs don't want Terry to have to play PG anymore but always had to play him there during the playoffs cuz Armstrong has no offensive game anymore. Teams would just lay off him and the Mav offense would suffer. AJ has a decent offensive game and is a decent defender & rebounder. Obviously, he's nothing special (he definitely played over his head in playoffs) but he should solve a big problem that the Mavs had at PG during the playoffs.

cecil collins
07-23-2006, 11:37 AM
Both Terry and Harris definitely could see time at the 2, which Devin did much of last year. This move does help them in my opinion.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-23-2006, 11:42 AM
Everyone up here in Dallas is saying Terry will slide to the two.

I'm sorry, but there's nothing good about the idea of Anthony Johnson going up against Beno or Jacque Vaughn. Or is Tony going to play all 48?

This move creates another mismatch for Dallas in their favor over us. They gave up nothing to get him, and you can't tell me that the Spurs couldn't have come up with something better than what Dallas gave up.

Amarelooms
07-23-2006, 11:46 AM
Hmmm as a Mavs fan I don't know why they need to trade 3 players for 1. Wish they would have kept Marshall.....Powell and DA I could care less about.

Kori Ellis
07-23-2006, 11:52 AM
They gave up nothing to get him, and you can't tell me that the Spurs couldn't have come up with something better than what Dallas gave up.

Sure they could have. But they wouldn't spend 2-3M for a 3rd string PG. They've obviously decided that Beno is going to be the primary backup, as they only wanted to spend the minimum to get another PG.

baseline bum
07-23-2006, 11:59 AM
What a rape. I'm not an Anthony Johnson fan, but a legit backup point for a guy with a year left max and two never-will-be's is highway robbery.

Amarelooms
07-23-2006, 12:04 PM
Johnson is better than Armstrong or Vaughn, but it seems to me that their goal was to clear some roster spots more than anything. He's just their 3rd point guard and probably will see little time.

Mavs need to sign a 6'7" ish swing man. Someone like Devin George would be good.

ChumpDumper
07-23-2006, 12:21 PM
Why would any Spurfan who witnessed our own trade with Indy think Armstrong will ever wear a Pacer uniform?

mabber
07-23-2006, 12:28 PM
Both Terry and Harris definitely could see time at the 2, which Devin did much of last year. This move does help them in my opinion.

Devin has never played a minute at the 2 and I don't see him doing it going forward.

MWILL
07-23-2006, 12:43 PM
Everyone up here in Dallas is saying Terry will slide to the two.

I'm sorry, but there's nothing good about the idea of Anthony Johnson going up against Beno or Jacque Vaughn. Or is Tony going to play all 48?

This move creates another mismatch for Dallas in their favor over us. They gave up nothing to get him, and you can't tell me that the Spurs couldn't have come up with something better than what Dallas gave up.

Thank God someone gets it! Mavericks needed someone like A. Johnson for 3 reasons:

1) Depth/ Mismatches

2) Dallas needed someone to be more consistant in the playoffs (PG wise).

3) To light a fire in Devins ass. I hope this tells Harris that he needs to better this coming season.

MWILL
07-23-2006, 12:45 PM
Hmmm as a Mavs fan I don't know why they need to trade 3 players for 1. Wish they would have kept Marshall.....Powell and DA I could care less about.

Marshall might get cut.

ChumpDumper
07-23-2006, 01:04 PM
Marshall might get cut.Seems odd to include him then. I can only think this is a salary dump for Indiana and Armstong is the guy who will be dumped.

sribb43
07-23-2006, 01:14 PM
there purpose of this deal for Indy was so that they can complete the Harrington deal

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-23-2006, 01:28 PM
Sure they could have. But they wouldn't spend 2-3M for a 3rd string PG. They've obviously decided that Beno is going to be the primary backup, as they only wanted to spend the minimum to get another PG.

I know what they decided, I'm just saying that Johnson >>> Beno. Add one more matchup we're at a disadvantage at against the Mavs. :/

ChumpDumper
07-23-2006, 01:28 PM
there purpose of this deal for Indy was so that they can complete the Harrington dealWhy is it necessary for that trade?

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-23-2006, 01:45 PM
Someone needs to tell Larry Bird that just because his former peer Isiah Thomas is a dumbass as far as roster moves goes doesn't mean Larry has to copy him.

Bruno
07-23-2006, 01:45 PM
Anthony Johnson will only hurt Spurs the day he is on fire.

Parker is too quick for him and I rather see Beno against Johnson than against Terry or Harris.
I rather too see Terry at SG (agaisnt a healthy Manu) than at PG.

leemajors
07-23-2006, 01:54 PM
how many forwards does indiana have now? granger, powell, o'neal and harrington? something else has to be brewing for them.

mabber
07-23-2006, 02:03 PM
Why is it necessary for that trade?

I read that they Pacers might be up against tax threshold after Harrington deal. Regardless, you're right it's really just a money deal for them.

ChumpDumper
07-23-2006, 02:06 PM
I read that they Pacers might be up against tax threshold after Harrington deal. Regardless, you're right it's really just a money deal for them.That's the only thing I could think of - I thought you meant the Harrington deal couldn't technically go through without this deal.

Solid D
07-23-2006, 02:18 PM
AP and ESPN

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2527560

Pacers to deal Johnson to Mavs for Armstrong, two othersAssociated Press

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Indiana Pacers will send point guard Anthony Johnson to the Dallas Mavericks for veteran floor leader Darrell Armstrong and two other players, Armstrong's agent said Sunday.

http://espn-att.starwave.com/i/nba/profiles/players/65x90/3207.jpghttp://espn-att.starwave.com/i/nba/profiles/players/65x90/3001.jpg
Johnson Armstrong
Armstrong, forward Josh Powell and swingman Rawle Marshall are headed to the Pacers in a sign-and-trade deal that can't be completed until the NBA office opens Monday.

Johnson gives the Mavericks a pass-first point guard to complement starters Jason Terry and Devin Harris, both of whom are more scorers than distributors. Johnson also is taller than Armstrong, and a strong defender with solid playoff experience.

Dallas had been considering signing Chucky Atkins to fill the same role. By getting Johnson in a trade, the Mavs instead can spend their remaining salary cap money on a backup swingman and a third-string power forward, the final two items on their offseason want list.

The 31-year-old Johnson averaged 20 points and 5.2 assists in six playoff games last season. He'll make around $2.6 million this season and $2.8 million the following year.

Johnson had been a backup for most of his career, but started 89 regular-season games the past two years while the Pacers fought through injuries and suspensions. He scored 40 points in his last game with Indiana, a loss to New Jersey in the first round of the Eastern Conference playoffs.

The 38-year-old Armstrong is a 12-year veteran with career averages of 10.1 points and 4.4 assists. He spent most of his career with Orlando before brief stints in New Orleans and Dallas.

Armstrong played much of last season with a torn rotator cuff. His biggest contribution, though, was as a locker room leader. Among the players he mentored was Marquis Daniels, who was traded by Dallas to Indiana for Austin Croshere earlier this month.

Glenn Schwartzman, Armstrong's agent, said Daniels' move helped Armstrong, an unrestricted free agent, agree to go to the Pacers.

"I think Marquis going there certainly was a factor," Schwartzman said. "But Darrell's decision was about what was best for Darrell and his family."

Powell and Marshall were players being developed by the Mavericks. Both are coming off their first NBA season.

Powell played 37 games, starting twice, and saw mop-up duty in six playoff games. Marshall played 23 games, starting nine, but was left off the postseason roster.

BigD1
07-23-2006, 02:27 PM
Anthony Johnson will only hurt Spurs the day he is on fire.

Parker is too quick for him and I rather see Beno against Johnson than against Terry or Harris.
I rather too see Terry at SG (agaisnt a healthy Manu) than at PG. On the other hand, Dallas' fans would rather see A.Johnson against Beno/Vaughn than D. Armstrong. It isn't a blockbuster trade or anything but it does make Dallas more flexible.
To acquire a player like A.Johnson who can score 20pts a game in the playoffs and 40pt(game high) as a 3rd string for DA and a couple of scrubs is a steal.
As far as Terry guarding Manu, it ain't gonna happen. It will be Howard or Buckner.
I also don't think Johnson will be guarding Parker too much, though he is a solid defender. That will be up to Harris/Terry/Buckner/Ager.
Overall, excellent trade for a young team who desperately needed an experienced and polished backup guard they didn't have this past season. It's no Mike James, but considering what we had to give up for it, I kind of like this trade even better.

StylisticS
07-23-2006, 02:37 PM
3) To light a fire in Devins ass. I hope this tells Harris that he needs to better this coming season.

And he is getting better. He still needs alot of improvement but he is getting better. I don't think this trade is to light a fire in anybody's ass at all.

Bruno
07-23-2006, 02:47 PM
On the other hand, Dallas' fans would rather see A.Johnson against Beno/Vaughn than D. Armstrong. It isn't a blockbuster trade or anything but it does make Dallas more flexible.
To acquire a player like A.Johnson who can score 20pts a game in the playoffs and 40pt(game high) as a 3rd string for DA and a couple of scrubs is a steal.

Johnson or not, Armstrong won't have played next year.
I agree that it's a steal and that it makes Dallas more flexible and deepr but it won't really help Mavs against Spurs.

jman3000
07-23-2006, 03:03 PM
Remember when Tony Delk scored like 50 something points for Sacramento a while back?

Good times. :drunk

BigD1
07-23-2006, 03:04 PM
Johnson or not, Armstrong won't have played next year.
I agree that it's a steal and that it makes Dallas more flexible and deepr but it won't really help Mavs against Spurs. Dallas needed a more polished and efficient 1-2 guard off the bench, after watching guys like DA, Harris, and Griff evaporate in the Miam series. Believe it or not, A. Johnson is a playoff type of guy. He's someone that can be on any team's playoff roster and contribute efficiently on both sides of the floor.
He will help the Mavs against the Spurs. He was Indiana's 2nd best player in this year's playoffs...how can he not help.

BigD1
07-23-2006, 03:05 PM
Remember when Tony Delk scored like 50 something points for Sacramento a while back?

Good times. :drunkyeah, it's too bad the Spurs couldn't get him this year. lol j/k

jman3000
07-23-2006, 03:07 PM
yeah, it's too bad the Spurs couldn't get him this year. lol j/k

umm ... okay ... :tu

BigD1
07-23-2006, 03:09 PM
oh I forgot, good ol' Beno is gonna save the franchise.

jman3000
07-23-2006, 03:12 PM

Bruno
07-23-2006, 03:13 PM
Dallas needed a more polished and efficient 1-2 guard off the bench, after watching guys like DA, Harris, and Griff evaporate in the Miam series. Believe it or not, A. Johnson is a playoff type of guy. He's someone that can be on any team's playoff roster and contribute efficiently on both sides of the floor.
He will help the Mavs against the Spurs. He was Indiana's 2nd best player in this year's playoffs...how can he not help.

Johnson a playoff type of guy :lol
He has had a great serie this year : it's 6 games on 80 playoffs games he has played.
He won't really help against Spurs because Harris, Terry, Howard and Stackhouse are better than him and because he isn't a clear upgrade over Buckner.

Bruno
07-23-2006, 03:15 PM
oh I forgot, good ol' Beno is gonna save the franchise.

Don't underrate Beno. Harris wasn't a better rookie than him after all.

MWILL
07-23-2006, 03:17 PM
And he is getting better. He still needs alot of improvement but he is getting better. I don't think this trade is to light a fire in anybody's ass at all.

I think it does.

For the MAVS to even think of gettng another PG, Devin should be watching his back. Just Remember Avery got rid of Quis (good young talent) because he wasn't consistant enough.

thekingrobert
07-23-2006, 03:19 PM
Johnson has no handles does anybody know that....i guess not

MWILL
07-23-2006, 03:23 PM
He has had a great serie this year : it's 6 games on 80 playoffs games he has played.
He won't really help against Spurs because Harris, Terry, Howard and Stackhouse are better than him and because he isn't a clear upgrade over Buckner.

A. Johnson doesn't have to be better than the guys you mentioned, he just has to better than the player he's going against.

And he's better than J. Vaughn.

G0D
07-23-2006, 03:27 PM
Mavs need to sign a 6'7" ish swing man. Someone like Devin George would be good.

the reason they gave up Rawle Marshall, is because they already have a young swingman whose name is Josh Howard. they made a perfect deal. got rid of DA, sparkplug but getting too old. Josh Powell wasnt really gonna play much now that Croshere came to town. Marshall was behind Stackhouse/Howard so not much time for him either. the reason the Pacers did this was because they wanted youth. i dont know why they wanted DA though.

mavsfan1000
07-23-2006, 03:28 PM
With this addition I think Dallas will do this with their lineup.
PG Harris/A. Johnson
SG Terry/Buckner/Ager
SF Howard/Stackhouse
PF Nowitzki/Croshere
C Diop/Dampier. It is looking good and especially with the matchup against San Antonio since Dallas lost some of their depth by starting Harris. Now that is fixed.

Bruno
07-23-2006, 03:30 PM
A. Johnson doesn't have to be better than the guys you mentioned, he just has to better than the player he's going against.

Do you know that you can't play with 6 players ?

There are 144 min available at PG/SG/SF :
In playoff :
Terry : 38 min
Howard : 36 min
Harris : 32 min (he will be better next year)
Stackhouse : 30 min

There are only 8 min left for Buckner and Johnson.

And he's better than J. Vaughn.

Udrih is Spurs' backup PG

thekingrobert
07-23-2006, 03:30 PM
With this addition I think Dallas will do this with their lineup.
PG Harris/A. Johnson
SG Terry/Buckner/Ager
SF Howard/Stackhouse
PF Nowitzki/Croshere
C Diop/Dampier. It is looking good and especially with the matchup against San Antonio since Dallas lost some of their depth by starting Harris. Now that is fixed.

all valid points except i think stack will be the 2nd SG instead of SF

BigD1
07-23-2006, 03:34 PM
He won't really help against Spurs because Harris, Terry, Howard and Stackhouse are better than him and because he isn't a clear upgrade over Buckner.But I'm sure he wasn't starting in those other 74 games. Just shows to what he can do when given significant playing time. A lot like Mike James.
U really can't compare Buckner to A.Johnson. Buckner is a poor man's Bowen. He is there to D' up and hit the occasional open shot, nothing more. A. Johnson is a true combo guard. He can pass, shoot, penetrate and play defense. He will proabably be Dallas' best passer.

BigD1
07-23-2006, 03:40 PM
Don't underrate Beno. Harris wasn't a better rookie than him after all.Yeah, but Harris had 2 HUGE playoff games against the Spurs this year. Did Beno even play? Besides he's been in the league at least as long as Harris has.
Actually, Beno does have upside. He's a pretty good shooter and he's quick.
Really, I like the guy. Met him at Suede Lounge in downtown. He's pretty cool. He's definitely an upgrade over Van Exel.

BigD1
07-23-2006, 03:42 PM

And he's better than J. Vaughn.and Beno!

Bruno
07-23-2006, 03:47 PM
But I'm sure he wasn't starting in those other 74 games. Just shows to what he can do when given significant playing time. A lot like Mike James.
You just can't say that a 9 years vet is a "playoff guy" just because he has had a great serie. I hope for Mavs that he do as good but he won't start too for Mavs.

U really can't compare Buckner to A.Johnson. Buckner is a poor man's Bowen. He is there to D' up and hit the occasional open shot, nothing more. A. Johnson is a true combo guard. He can pass, shoot, penetrate and play defense. He will proabably be Dallas' best passer.

We haven't watch the same Johnson.
Johnson isn't a good playmaker or passer, he is just a solid PG. He isn't a penetrator (he is too slow) and is a jumpshooter. He is too slow to defend PG like parker and Buckner will do a better job against Udrih or Ginobili.

Bruno
07-23-2006, 03:49 PM
Yeah, but Harris had 2 HUGE playoff games against the Spurs this year. Did Beno even play?

Beno is our Marquis Daniels, talented but he was in coach's doghouse.
Next year, he will play more because he will start the season as 2nd PG and not 3rd PG behind Parker/NVE.

timvp
07-23-2006, 03:53 PM
Damn it the Spurs should have traded Beno for Anthony Johnson back when the Pacers wanted him.

:pctoss

timvp
07-23-2006, 03:56 PM
PG Harris/A. Johnson
SG Terry/Buckner/Ager
SF Howard/Stackhouse
PF Nowitzki/Croshere
C Diop/Dampier

That's a nice lineup. Props.

The player the Spurs used most of their MLE on wouldn't even make that team.

:depressed

mabber
07-23-2006, 04:01 PM

I'm guessing when he said "playoff guy" that he meant he had plenty of playoff experience. If not, then you're right...one great playoff series doesn't make him a great playoff player.

Not sure what Johnson has to do with Buckner? They don't play the same position.

Bruno
07-23-2006, 04:08 PM
I'm guessing when he said "playoff guy" that he meant he had plenty of playoff experience. If not, then you're right...one great playoff series doesn't make him a great playoff player.

When he says "(He can) contribute efficiently on both sides of the floor", I guess he refers to last year because he hasn't really contribute in playoff before.

Not sure what Johnson has to do with Buckner? They don't play the same position.

More Johnson => Less Terry at PG => More Terry at SG => Less Buckner.

BigD1
07-23-2006, 04:29 PM

Not sure what Johnson has to do with Buckner? They don't play the same position.Yes. A guy with playoff experience. A guy who has performed well in the playoffs. A guy that u can actually play in the playoffs, unlike Van Exel(this year), Rawle Marshall, Josh Powell, Pavel-Pod and etc..