PDA

View Full Version : Reggie Bush to re-enter next years draft?

Pistons < Spurs
07-22-2006, 07:33 PM
No. 2 overall pick and Heisman Trophy-winning running back Reggie Bush not only appears headed for a holdout with the New Orleans Saints, a league source said Bush is toying with the idea of sitting out the entire season and going back in the draft in 2007 if he doesn't get his price.

"No player has ever had the kind of leverage that Reggie Bush has right now," the source said. "The Saints made it clear what they were willing to do before and now we'll see if they're going to get there."

It seems unlikely the Saints will do that in time for Bush to report to training camp with the team on Thursday in Jackson, Miss. Two sources said that talks between the Saints and agent Joel Segal have been nearly non-existent.

On Wednesday, Mike Ornstein, who is Bush's marketing agent, told the Clarion-Ledger of Jackson, Miss., that he didn't think Bush would be signed in time for camp. Ornstein is not allowed to negotiate contracts, but he is acutely aware of all of Bush's business matters.

One of the sources took that a step further, saying Segal was considering not having Bush sign at all. Segal declined to comment when contacted Friday and messages left with multiple members of the New Orleans organization weren't returned.

While it appears unlikely on face value that Bush would sit out, he appears well-positioned to do so if he really wants.

Bush supposedly has more than $5 million in the bank from multiple endorsement deals Ornstein has negotiated since Bush left the University of Southern California. That money is guaranteed regardless of whether Bush plays this season.

Next, Bush could probably sit out 2006 and still be a high pick next year.

Furthermore, Bush probably has the public sentiment running in his favor. Even though holdout players are generally unpopular, Bush has caused tremendous excitement in New Orleans.

In May, shortly after Bush was drafted, the Saints had already set a franchise record for season-ticket sales, having topped 55,000 at that time. That's extraordinary, especially considering the condition of the hurricane-ravaged city.

Moreover, team owner Tom Benson is immensely unpopular in New Orleans. Ranging from his hard-line negotiations with the city and state to constant threats that he will move the team, Benson is often treated with open scorn by Saints fans.

Bush has also worked hard to endear himself to fans in the city after it came out that he didn't want to play in New Orleans. Bush has made multiple donations to hurricane relief.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AjFTMKF9fiMr5NxVlCydZTxDubYF?slug=jc-bush072106&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

And everyone thought the Houston Texans fucked up by not taking him!! I can appreciate him trying to get all he can ... but it sounds like he's taking it a bit too far. I hope he does sit out. screw him!

NorCal510
07-22-2006, 08:41 PM
bs bluh he playin fo sho

JMarkJohns
07-22-2006, 08:50 PM
I don't fault any NFL runningback for holding out. Non-guaranteed contracts and a position where the average career can be counted on five fingers makes for a bad combination. Even for the great ones.

Saints knew going in his asking price. They went ahead and drafted him.

Their bad.

ABDENOUR POWER
07-22-2006, 09:14 PM
What a douche.

greenroom
07-22-2006, 09:14 PM
To bad Bush does not have all the cards. Has he not seen how a year out of football does to you. If Bush thinks he will be the #1 pick next year he will have another thing coming. With A Peterson coming out next year. I really doubt a guy who said he would be in camp then did not keep to the promise that he made to the Fans and City of New Orleans will be selected number one.

G0D
07-22-2006, 11:06 PM
he cant go back to USC. remember that the home, that the school was paying for, was the reason he was kicked out and almost had to return his heisman

NBA Junkie
07-23-2006, 10:01 AM
Reggie Bush will sign unless Tom Benson has a death wish.

gospursgojas
07-23-2006, 10:06 AM
Reggie Bush deserves # 1 pick money...................

If he was the #1 pick

BruceBowenFan
07-23-2006, 11:00 AM
What a douche.
i gonna agree on that

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-23-2006, 11:19 AM
I like watching him play, he's so creative in his running and is hella fast.

That said, this news is pretty disappointing.

baseline bum
07-23-2006, 11:55 AM
Bush has Benson by the balls. There's no way the fans will ever forgive him after they sold so many season tickets if Bush holds out.

Holmes_Fans
07-23-2006, 12:59 PM
If he does sit out(which he won't). He will not even go top 10 in next years draft, you don't sit out an entire year and along side that be a selfish ass and expect a team to waste time on you. If he does end up sitting out I hope he is arrested or someshit so he can't even play in the NFL.

Holmes_Fans
07-23-2006, 02:18 PM
This should be a good reminder to many people who were upset at the Texans for not drafting Bush. The Texans made an offer to Bush which incuded an incredibly high signing bonus, ($26 million, I believe) and Bush insisted on more ($30 million, if I recall) . The Texans must have known this guy was heading for a holdout no matter what they offered. That's not the kind of start a losing team with a new head coach needs heading into the season.

This is one reason why I'm glad they drafted Mario Williams. He will turn out to be every bit the defensive player the Texans need. Houston's gain...New Orleans' loss.

Holmes_Fans
07-23-2006, 07:21 PM
Yes, but he had baseball which he wanted to play. RB is just a greedy dumbass.

LaMarcus Bryant
07-23-2006, 08:01 PM
Typical. Bush is overrated anyways. I'd rather draft A&M's McGee.

cecil collins
07-23-2006, 10:43 PM
Man if he holds out and enters next years draft, there is gonna be some pissed of jersey owners. How many people own a team jersey of a player that never played on the team? Bush is a bitch.

Beer is Good
07-23-2006, 11:09 PM
If he does sit out(which he won't). He will not even go top 10 in next years draft, you don't sit out an entire year and along side that be a selfish ass and expect a team to waste time on you. If he does end up sitting out I hope he is arrested or someshit so he can't even play in the NFL.
Since when does getting arrested mean you don't play in the NFL?? :lol :lol :lol :lol

All that would mean is that he'd have to be drafted by the Raiders :lol

exstatic
07-23-2006, 11:19 PM
Don't hate. Even if he sits out (which I don't think he will) he'll still go top 5. Teams know that he absolutely CANNOT pull this shit twice.

Obstructed_View
07-23-2006, 11:33 PM
Actually if Bush sits out the Saints will be in a position to draft him again next year.

Taco
07-24-2006, 09:15 AM
I think if these dudes do this, not go with the team that drafted them, they should be banned from the league for 5 years

I hated when Elway, Steve Francis and Ely Manning did this

Extra Stout
07-28-2006, 09:53 AM
With Vince Young signing a deal with more potential $$$ than Mario Williams, that raises the price for Bush a little.

But if $26.1 million guaranteed and $56 million potential isn't enough to bring Bush into camp, then suddenly the Texans start to look smart for not drafting him.

Vizzini
07-28-2006, 09:55 AM
The last high profile USC player to sit out an entire year went in the top ten, and now is in some reasonable danger of actually being cut from the frickin' Detroit Lions, the shittiest of all shitty teams. If Reggie Bush were smart, he'd drop a call to Mike Williams and ask him if sitting out an entire year w/o football is worth it.

tlongII
07-28-2006, 10:14 AM
Bush won't sit out the season. He'll sign at the last minute.