PDA

View Full Version : People who see a waiter walk by with a pitcher of tea and feel the need to inhale...

CharlieMac
07-23-2006, 09:38 AM
...their glass of tea. What causes you to panic and suck down over half that glass down in 5 seconds, and frantically waive down that wiater with a pitcher for more? You look greedy.

TheTruth
07-23-2006, 10:03 AM
i was thirsty asshole.

gospursgojas
07-23-2006, 10:07 AM
Maybe they were at a shitty resturant where a waiter comes around every hour or so...

ObiwanGinobili
07-23-2006, 10:18 AM
because there are only 3 maybe 4 glasses of tea in a pitcher full of ice - and since the waiter with the icetea pitcher only comes around like 1x every hour there are 6 or 7 patrons who need a refill. If I suck mine down and get his attention 1st then most likely I will actually get a refill sometime today.

CharlieMac
07-23-2006, 10:30 AM
The thing is, I don't randomly walk around with a pitcher of tea or Mountain Dew, or whatever the fuck.

If you ask for a refill, I will gladly bring you one. If you see me walking around with a pitcher of Pepsi, your eyes bulge out and you start sucking your pepsi/tea down, then you start waiving your arms around in the air like an idiot for more while saying, "Hey joven", then 10 minutes later I see that you haven't touched your drink, you suck at being out in public.

If your waiter comes around once every hour, you should either complain, or not exaggerate when you tell a story.

maxpower
07-23-2006, 01:36 PM
Think about the question you asked and imagine the most likely reason.

I imagine those who do find themselves with an empty glass far more often than not.

And by the way, does it bother you that they are making you work or that they drink fast when you are in the area with a pitcher or does the additional tea/pepsi come out of your paycheck?

If things like this bother you, I would think you are in the wrong line of work.

leemajors
07-23-2006, 02:03 PM
Think about the question you asked and imagine the most likely reason.

I imagine those who do find themselves with an empty glass far more often than not.

And by the way, does it bother you that they are making you work or that they drink fast when you are in the area with a pitcher or does the additional tea/pepsi come out of your paycheck?

If things like this bother you, I would think you are in the wrong line of work.

i would imagine this is just one of many things that bother him about being in the service industry, it sucks. people don't work it because they love the job, they do it because it can pay pretty damn well.

jman3000
07-23-2006, 02:10 PM
When I get thirst, I get thirsty. I'll probably go through about 7-8 glasses of whatever I'm drinking before the meal is over. The waiter/waitress usually sees my trend early, and just leaves the pitcher on the table for me. I don't mind at all.

pache100
07-23-2006, 04:13 PM
...their glass of tea. What causes you to panic and suck down over half that glass down in 5 seconds, and frantically waive down that wiater with a pitcher for more? You look greedy.

Because...in some restaurants...waiters walking by with pitchers of tea are so few and far between you feel that you better get a refill - of the glass of tea you've been nursing along with baby sips since the meal started - while you have the chance. Sometimes, you NEVER see a waiter again after your food is delivered (well, until it's time to throw the bill on your table), much less a waiter with tea. And you know what? This is a really great way to reduce your tip when you are serving me. Make sure I'm happy with the tea, and your tip doesn't suffer. But, I hate like hell sitting there thirsty and being afraid to drink my tea for fear I won't be able to get any more.

That's one of the reasons I like restaurants that have the drink machines where people can get their own.

If you ask for a refill

No one should ever have to ASK for a refill. It is a waiter's JOB to keep track of his customers' needs. And if a waiter is making such infrequent trips to someone's table that they are "hoarding" their iced tea, you can bet he's not checking to see what else they may be needing. Your tip is suffering.

The funny thing is, I KNOW which restaurants I can drink my glass to the bottom right away without having to worry about dying of thirst...and which ones I have to ration my drink out stretch it to the end of the meal 'cause ain't no way I'm gettin' more tea unless I ASK for it; and I'm more likely to report the server to the manager for neglecting customers than I am likely to ASK for drink refills. So, you figure it out. This is one of my major pet peeves in eating out...and it looks like I'm not alone.

pache100
07-23-2006, 04:20 PM
When I get thirst, I get thirsty. I'll probably go through about 7-8 glasses of whatever I'm drinking before the meal is over. The waiter/waitress usually sees my trend early, and just leaves the pitcher on the table for me. I don't mind at all.

That is what they ALL should do. If they don't want to trouble themselves to do their job, they should leave the pitcher on the table so you can do it for them. I wish they did that in all restaurants.

CharlieMac
07-23-2006, 05:27 PM
I'll lay it out as simply as I can......

I don't care if you need more of something or would like something different. All a waiter does is say. "Sure." and walk back to get it when you ask. But when you're not drinking something, and feel the need to gulp down your drink so you can get some more, then not touch it at all afterwards, then that's a problem. And that type of "I need more and need to hoard shit" attitide is probably what makes you a shitty person.

This all came from a restaurant I was eating at this morning. I was watching some guy play with his ice tea. He was just stirring it and stirring it and chatting away. He took maybe two sips within a 5 minute time period. He sees a waitress (one of 10 of them actively monitoring their tables) walk by with a pitcher of tea to refill a table not too far from him, and starts drink tha tea as far quickly as he can. Then screams "Mija. mija!!!!! More!!" as she walks away. Then he drinks maybe a quarter of that glass before he left. If anyone doesn't see a problem with that, then you probably do it under those exact same circumstances. That's my pet peeve. Even when I was stuck doing the lame office job deal for a few years I'd dine out and notice that happening.

If you need something, would like something, want to see if the kitchen can make a special order for you, fine. Special orders as as rare as hearing "How about this weather." But if you feel the need to get more of something you already have, there's something very wrong with that.

I'll admit, some waiters suck and it's a shame that people assume that every waiter is going to be like that. They call customers white trash, and ######s, and wetbacks in the back, pay off hostesses to not seat them anyone "trashy looking", eat off of peoples plates and so on. They're just horrible people. I had some jack ass at Outback openly wonder if my brother and I spoke English not knowing we were in earshot. They really have no business having a job at all. They can anticipate your needs if they know what you are doing. I've mentioned it here before, any retard can wait tables, it's just a matter of whether they care or not.

But Pache, coming back to your point, at times, believe it or not, you might have to ask a waiter for something, no matter how good they are. Shit happens much like in any other job, and we have brain farts. If you have to ask for silverware, a refill a few times, sugar, salt, your garnish, and things like that all at one sitting, then by all means, don't tip them anything.

But unlike other jobs, there's a time when a waiter is waiting on 40 people at 8 different tables because someone somewhere screwed up, and despite what each individual person thinks, they aren't the only person they're waiting on. You'll have a group of loud women asking for seperate checks at once table, some kid saying that they need 20 ice cubes for his soup at another, some dude asking for an extra side of ranch dressing, "can you heat my daughters milk in the microwave for 5 seconds" at another, some one saying that their beer doesn't taste right at another and so on....all at once. But no, you're not alone obviously....next time you complain, ask management why they oversat a waiter, I'm sure they won't say "it's because we wanted to make a few more bucks in sales" though.

I'd leave a pitcher on a table if I worked at Peter Piper Pizza though.

TheSanityAnnex
07-23-2006, 05:29 PM

I don't care if you need more of something or would like something different. All a waiter does is say. "Sure." and walk back to get it when you ask. But when you're not drinking something, and feel the need to gulp down your drink so you can get some more, then not touch it at all afterwards, then that's a problem. And that type of "I need more and need to hoard shit" attitide is probably what makes you a shitty person.

This all came from a restaurant I was eating at this morning. I was watching some guy play with his ice tea. He was just stirring it and stirring it and chatting away. He took maybe two sips within a 5 minute time period. He sees a waitress (one of 10 of them actively monitoring their tables) walk by with a pitcher of tea to refill a table not too far from him, and starts drink tha tea as far quickly as he can. Then screams "Mija. mija!!!!! More!!" as she walks away. Then he drinks maybe a quarter of that glass before he left. If anyone doesn't see a problem with that, then you probably do it under those exact same circumstances. That's my pet peeve. Even when I was stuck doing the lame office job deal for a few years I'd dine out and notice that happening.

If you need something, would like something, want to see if the kitchen can make a special order for you, fine. Special orders as as rare as hearing "How about this weather." But if you feel the need to get more of something you already have, there's something very wrong with that.

I'll admit, some waiters suck and it's a shame that people assume that every waiter is going to be like that. They call customers white trash, and ######s, and wetbacks in the back, pay off hostesses to not seat them anyone "trashy looking", eat off of peoples plates and so on. They're just horrible people. I had some jack ass at Outback openly wonder if my brother and I spoke English not knowing we were in earshot. They really have no business having a job at all. They can anticipate your needs if they know what you are doing. I've mentioned it here before, any retard can wait tables, it's just a matter of whether they care or not.

But Pache, coming back to your point, at times, believe it or not, you might have to ask a waiter for something, no matter how good they are. Shit happens much like in any other job, and we have brain farts. If you have to ask for silverware, a refill a few times, sugar, salt, your garnish, and things like that all at one sitting, then by all means, don't tip them anything.

But unlike other jobs, there's a time when a waiter is waiting on 40 people at 8 different tables because someone somewhere screwed up, and despite what each individual person thinks, they aren't the only person they're waiting on. You'll have a group of loud women asking for seperate checks at once table, some kid saying that they need 20 ice cubes for his soup at another, some one saying that their beer doesn't taste right at another and so on....all at once. But no, you're not alone obviously....next time you complain, ask management why they oversat a waiter, I'm sure they won't say "it's because we wanted to make a few more bucks in sales" though.

I'd leave a pitcher on a table if I worked at Peter Piper Pizza though.You need to start smoking some weed. Seriously.

CharlieMac
07-23-2006, 05:32 PM
You need to start smoking some weed. Seriously.

Lol. I don't even care. After a few years, you just deal with the stress because it's great money, I get to pick my own hours, and the Riverwalk is beautiful at Christmas time.

All I was doing was pointing out something I hate to see. I haven't even worked in a month.

RedStripe
07-23-2006, 05:47 PM
Booooooooo on people who see a waiter walk by with a pitcher of tea and feel the need to inhale................................Hooray Beer!!!

TheTruth
07-23-2006, 09:08 PM
Yeah, some people are just plain dumbasses when it comes to eating out. But gotdamn if haven't had the worst to waiters of all time the last two times I ate out. The last one visited my table 1 time the entire meal, and that was just to bring out the meal. We had to ask a bussboy to bring us a drink. The one before that didn't even bring us our meals, and never came back even once. Just to bring us the check. I almost didn't feel like leaving a tip.

pache100
07-24-2006, 08:04 AM

But unlike other jobs, there's a time when a waiter is waiting on 40 people at 8 different tables because someone somewhere screwed up, and despite what each individual person thinks, they aren't the only person they're waiting on. You'll have a group of loud women asking for seperate checks at once table, some kid saying that they need 20 ice cubes for his soup at another, some dude asking for an extra side of ranch dressing, "can you heat my daughters milk in the microwave for 5 seconds" at another, some one saying that their beer doesn't taste right at another and so on....all at once. But no, you're not alone obviously....next time you complain, ask management why they oversat a waiter, I'm sure they won't say "it's because we wanted to make a few more bucks in sales" though.

I'd leave a pitcher on a table if I worked at Peter Piper Pizza though.

I hope I never get you as a waiter anywhere I choose to eat. Because, if I do, I'll do what I do with all servers with an attitude...you will NOT be tipped and you WILL be reported to the manager. People with ideas like you have have no business in the food service industry because you do not understand the concept of the server/customer relationship - you have no idea what your job actually is and should be in some other profession. And servers like you are the reason I do not return to restaurants who employ people like you. I will make one attempt to change the situation by bringing it to the attention of the manager because I feel that the reputation of an entire establishment should not be ruined based on one bad experience with a server; if I go back a second time and am treated badly, I am done with that place. If they do not value my business any more than that, there are thousands of other places to choose from.

pache100
07-24-2006, 08:07 AM
You need to start smoking some weed. Seriously.

:tu :lol

CharlieMac
07-24-2006, 08:40 AM
I hope I never get you as a waiter anywhere I choose to eat. Because, if I do, I'll do what I do with all servers with an attitude...you will NOT be tipped and you WILL be reported to the manager. People with ideas like you have have no business in the food service industry because you do not understand the concept of the server/customer relationship - you have no idea what your job actually is and should be in some other profession. And servers like you are the reason I do not return to restaurants who employ people like you. I will make one attempt to change the situation by bringing it to the attention of the manager because I feel that the reputation of an entire establishment should not be ruined based on one bad experience with a server; if I go back a second time and am treated badly, I am done with that place. If they do not value my business any more than that, there are thousands of other places to choose from.

I'm having trouble following you because it makes zero-to-no sense at all. I have an attitude because I observed (based on my job that I've someone never been fired from despite working in some of the best places in the city) the fact that people hoard things because they're greedy when I'm dining out and when I am at work? I also don't think it's normal to run out to Walmart and buy 37 rolls of toilet paper when it rains, do you? I'm a dick on the board at times, but not when I'm at work.

Look, I never give attitude there. I don't want to be like that mean old bastard/bitch at the Time Warner office that makes a face because she has to stand for more than 15 seconds to switch out your modem. I know for a fact that for kids that are with their families that drove down from a small town in Arkansas, or up from a small town in the valley and this is a big deal to them. Dining on the Riverwalk is a whole new world to them and probably their vacation for the year. So who am I to ruin that for them?

You've obviously never worked in a restaurant, because I spelled it out for you in an earlier post. If a waiter is getting his ass kicked, it's because of management wanting to see every table full and up sales because that's what the owner wants them to do. I know, I managed before I decided that 60+ hours a week wasn't for me. Whether they have the staff or not they will fill that place up if they can. If a waiter is swamped, who suffers, the waiter (and his tip) who gets the blame from people like you, or the restaurant's sales when they're charging you 2 bucks for a Pepsi? You know, I also admitted that there are some horrible waiters out there that have no business even having a job period because they just don't care.

I just realized I'm putting way too much time nto this thread. You're obviously one of these "I'm more important than other people your waiting on" and you think nice restaurants should have a fountain drink station and leave pitchers on the tables. Don't try to insult me with "I hope I never get you as a waiter because I won't tip you." Keep your dollar in quarters.

CharlieMac
07-24-2006, 08:43 AM
Yeah, some people are just plain dumbasses when it comes to eating out. But gotdamn if haven't had the worst to waiters of all time the last two times I ate out. The last one visited my table 1 time the entire meal, and that was just to bring out the meal. We had to ask a bussboy to bring us a drink. The one before that didn't even bring us our meals, and never came back even once. Just to bring us the check. I almost didn't feel like leaving a tip.

You probably shouldn't have.

When I was 18 I had this mafia looking dude pull me aside with a stern look and very intimidating demeanor tell me, "I'm out for a nice night with my woman, make sure you pay attention to me." as he slipped me a 50. It was scary as hell for an 18 year old that weighs like 150 pounds.

pache100
07-24-2006, 09:07 AM
I'm having trouble following you because it makes zero-to-no sense at all. I have an attitude because I observed (based on my job that I've someone never been fired from despite working in some of the best places in the city) the fact that people hoard things because they're greedy when I'm dining out and when I am at work? I also don't think it's normal to run out to Walmart and buy 37 rolls of toilet paper when it rains, do you? I'm a dick on the board at times, but not when I'm at work.

Look, I never give attitude there. I don't want to be like that mean old bastard/bitch at the Time Warner office that makes a face because she has to stand for more than 15 seconds to switch out your modem. I know for a fact that for kids that are with their families that drove down from a small town in Arkansas, or up from a small town in the valley and this is a big deal to them. Dining on the Riverwalk is a whole new world to them and probably their vacation for the year. So who am I to ruin that for them?

You've obviously never worked in a restaurant, because I spelled it out for you in an earlier post. If a waiter is getting his ass kicked, it's because of management wanting to see every table full and up sales because that's what the owner wants them to do. I know, I managed before I decided that 60+ hours a week wasn't for me. Whether they have the staff or not they will fill that place up if they can. If a waiter is swamped, who suffers, the waiter (and his tip) who gets the blame from people like you, or the restaurant's sales when they're charging you 2 bucks for a Pepsi? You know, I also admitted that there are some horrible waiters out there that have no business even having a job period because they just don't care.

I just realized I'm putting way too much time nto this thread. You're obviously one of these "I'm more important than other people your waiting on" and you think nice restaurants should have a fountain drink station and leave pitchers on the tables. Don't try to insult me with "I hope I never get you as a waiter because I won't tip you." Keep your dollar in quarters.

And, I'm telling you you don't have a clue why people do the things you claim they are doing...speaking from a customer's perspective and it makes perfect sense if you want to understand me. I tip very well (usually 30-35%) when I have a good intuitive waiter - I tipped $10 on a $20.25 bill just yesterday to my regular waiter who does get the customer-server relationship. I request to sit at one of his tables when I go to this particular restaurant and he welcomes us because he knows how to get good tips and how to behave as a waiter. When I get one with attitude, I leave one (1) quarter as a message. On the opposite side of the coin of yesterday's lunch experience, on Friday night I left a young man at Chili's NO TIP and reported him to the manager; I was not the only one - someone at every table surrounding us had to chase this young man down for something during their meal, usually drink refills. And HE did not bring ANYONE's food to the table, he had someone else deliver the food each time. No one could figure out where he was going (he just disappeared), because these people who kept delivering the food had tables of their own and they seemed to be handling theirs and this creep's tables too, just fine. He never told us his name; he never asked us if we wanted more of anything or if our food was satisfactory; the person who brought our food did not bring everything we asked for because they didn't take the order and didn't know about the gravy and ketchup we'd asked for; he never came back to see if our food was cooked to our satisfaction or anything else. The only way we got more iced tea was to find a different waiter with a pitcher and ask for more, but after the first time, THAT waiter kept returning to our table with the tea pitcher. The manager brought the extra things we'd asked for when I went and found him and reported this idiot to him. At the end of the meal, the manager came back to our table to tell us he was picking up the tab for our food and we had a couple of other comments for him...THEN the waiter came running over and stuck his nose in to see what we were saying; I told him it was too late. The manager picked up the tab for all three of those tables, one of which had 8 people sitting at it; expensive night for the restaurant.

I stand by everything I said in my message and I wasn't speaking a foreign language, it it what it is, no hidden messages, just straight forward information. I'm not (and don't consider myself) more important than anyone else; but when I go into a restaurant, I'm PAYING for more than just the food...I'm paying for the service, too, and I expect to be treated respectfully and courteously - THAT'S ALL I ASK. I'm glad you do well in your job and wish you continued success. But, if I come into your establishment and you pull out your attitude, you will NOT be tipped and you WILL be reported to the management. It's that simple.

If you didn't want to know what anyone thought about your rant, or didn't want to take the trouble to read the responses, you should not have posted it. Or, at the very least, you should have just SAID from the gitgo that your mind was made up about it and no one should bother to respond. I won't go to any more trouble, you can bet on that.

1Parker1
07-24-2006, 10:30 AM
You know what's more annoying? Waiters who ask "Will Diet Pepsi be ok, instead?" when you request a Diet Coke. :flipoff

1Parker1
07-24-2006, 10:53 AM
:lol @ the new Thread Title. Finally, some of you people are catching on....:tu

tlongII
07-24-2006, 10:55 AM
Iced Tea in restaurants sucks anyway as it's never sweetened. You have to put sugar in it yourself which is difficult since it won't dissolve worth shit in cold tea with ice in it. I'll stick with my Mr. Coffee Iced Tea maker.

1Parker1
07-24-2006, 10:57 AM
Iced Tea in restaurants sucks anyway as it's never sweetened. You have to put sugar in it yourself which is difficult since it won't dissolve worth shit in cold tea with ice in it.

:tu Exactly!!!!

JoeChalupa
07-24-2006, 11:02 AM
Well, when I'm being charged $1.99 for tea damn right I'm going to suck it down and get my moneys worth. What I like is when a waiter refills my tea even if it is only half way gone. Always gets a good tip from my cheap ass.

Kori Ellis
07-24-2006, 11:03 AM
Iced Tea in restaurants sucks anyway as it's never sweetened. You have to put sugar in it yourself which is difficult since it won't dissolve worth shit in cold tea with ice in it. I'll stick with my Mr. Coffee Iced Tea maker.

They serve sweet tea here.

In L.A. they don't, but here in San Antonio a lot of places serve the tea already sweetened as an option.

Marklar MM
07-24-2006, 11:05 AM
Does anyone like that artificial sweetener stuff they put on tables?
http://www.office365.co.uk/im/pim/514257.jpg

atxrocker
07-24-2006, 11:07 AM

In L.A. they don't, but here in San Antonio a lot of places serve the tea already sweetened as an option.

most places i eat at here in austin don't. and it sucks. my worst resturaunt pet peeve ever. i don't want to put my own fucking sugar. fuck.

anyways, i am the type to get multiple refills of whatever i am drinking in a sitting. i expect my need to be addressed as soon as it is necessary. i tip very well for good service. i really want some pepsi now.

Kori Ellis
What causes you to panic and suck down over half that glass down in 5 seconds, and frantically waive down that wiater with a pitcher for more? You look greedy.

I'll agree with most people in this thread, that if someone does this, it's because they know the restaurant has a rep of rarely coming by and filling your glass. So they are trying to get some when they can.

But if the customer, does that and then doesn't even drink it after that .. then yes they are just being greedy and annoying.

And I also agree that you shouldn't have to ASK a waiter for a refill. He should be able to see that your glass is getting empty.

atxrocker

i hate that fake shit.

Kori Ellis
07-24-2006, 11:08 AM

If the tea isn't sweet, I use Splenda that's on the table. It dissolves and tastes like sugar.

CharlieMac
07-24-2006, 11:08 AM
And, I'm telling you you don't have a clue why people do the things you claim they are doing...speaking from a customer's perspective and it makes perfect sense if you want to understand me. I tip very well (usually 30-35%) when I have a good intuitive waiter - I tipped $10 on a $20.25 bill just yesterday to my regular waiter who does get the customer-server relationship. I request to sit at one of his tables when I go to this particular restaurant and he welcomes us because he knows how to get good tips and how to behave as a waiter. When I get one with attitude, I leave one (1) quarter as a message. On the opposite side of the coin of yesterday's lunch experience, on Friday night I left a young man at Chili's NO TIP and reported him to the manager; I was not the only one - someone at every table surrounding us had to chase this young man down for something during their meal, usually drink refills. And HE did not bring ANYONE's food to the table, he had someone else deliver the food each time. No one could figure out where he was going (he just disappeared), because these people who kept delivering the food had tables of their own and they seemed to be handling theirs and this creep's tables too, just fine. He never told us his name; he never asked us if we wanted more of anything or if our food was satisfactory; the person who brought our food did not bring everything we asked for because they didn't take the order and didn't know about the gravy and ketchup we'd asked for; he never came back to see if our food was cooked to our satisfaction or anything else. The only way we got more iced tea was to find a different waiter with a pitcher and ask for more, but after the first time, THAT waiter kept returning to our table with the tea pitcher. The manager brought the extra things we'd asked for when I went and found him and reported this idiot to him. At the end of the meal, the manager came back to our table to tell us he was picking up the tab for our food and we had a couple of other comments for him...THEN the waiter came running over and stuck his nose in to see what we were saying; I told him it was too late. The manager picked up the tab for all three of those tables, one of which had 8 people sitting at it; expensive night for the restaurant.

I stand by everything I said in my message and I wasn't speaking a foreign language, it it what it is, no hidden messages, just straight forward information. I'm not (and don't consider myself) more important than anyone else; but when I go into a restaurant, I'm PAYING for more than just the food...I'm paying for the service, too, and I expect to be treated respectfully and courteously - THAT'S ALL I ASK. I'm glad you do well in your job and wish you continued success. But, if I come into your establishment and you pull out your attitude, you will NOT be tipped and you WILL be reported to the management. It's that simple.

If you didn't want to know what anyone thought about your rant, or didn't want to take the trouble to read the responses, you should not have posted it. Or, at the very least, you should have just SAID from the gitgo that your mind was made up about it and no one should bother to respond. I won't go to any more trouble, you can bet on that.

Oh fuck it, let's just agree to disagree. I don't like when people suck their drink down and don't take a sip after that, and you like having a waiter that knows how to "behave".

tlongII
07-24-2006, 11:12 AM

This bit of information puts San Antonio in a more positive light for me. They don't do that in Portland.

j-6
07-24-2006, 11:17 AM
Anyone that takes themselves this seriously about their tipping habits, the "server/customer relationship", how their meals got comped at Chili's, and how intuitive their waiter is has never worked in a full-service restaurant. Nothing personal, pache100, but I'd hate to wait on any table you were sitting at.

You sound like a germ - the word we used to use for a guest either looking to either bitch, freeload, or stiff the server. Like I said though, nothing personal - every has their own eccentricies. I bitch to Sprint damn near every time I get a statement from them.

SpursWoman
07-24-2006, 11:28 AM
Anyone that takes themselves this seriously about their tipping habits, the "server/customer relationship", how their meals got comped at Chili's, and how intuitive their waiter is has never worked in a full-service restaurant. Nothing personal, pache100, but I'd hate to wait on any table you were sitting at.

You sound like a germ - the word we used to use for a guest either looking to either bitch, freeload, or stiff the server. Like I said though, nothing personal - every has their own eccentricies. I bitch to Sprint damn near every time I get a statement from them.

I worked in the service industry for exactly a month before I realized that that was not for me. No matter how hard you try, how good or how slammed you are ... there will always be someone there bitching that you didn't fill their drink fast enough so they leave you a quarter, regardless of the fact that 2 people didn't show up and you had to cover their tables too.

I don't expect miracles when I go out to eat, regardless of the service I feel I'm entitled to. If the place is extremely busy and I can see my waitress/waiter is swamped ... I'm inclined to be very patient, because I know that evening they are going to get jipped by other patrons who have no understanding whatsoever and an overblown sense of how far their $4.99 special should get them. I don't go out to eat for the tea anyway.

pache100
07-24-2006, 11:29 AM
Anyone that takes themselves this seriously about their tipping habits, the "server/customer relationship", how their meals got comped at Chili's, and how intuitive their waiter is has never worked in a full-service restaurant.

I have said that over and over and over again; I don't know how to make it any plainer that I have never waited tables. And that the reason I tip well is because I'm thankful I never had to.

Nothing personal, pache100, but I'd hate to wait on any table you were sitting at.

Not if you were any good. If that's the way you feel and you were a good waiter, it's your loss.

I don't look to bitch or freeload or stiff the server. I hate like hell to have to bitch. It ruins my whole meal, usually my whole day; I'd rather somebody beat me and not make me do that. But, I eat out about 5-6 times a week, and I DO take it pretty seriously. I rarely get free meals, and don't want them. I don't mind paying for my food, any time I get comped a meal, it's strictly voluntary on the manager's part. Most often, I don't make any complaints about anything until AFTER I have paid my bill. Sometimes, though, the situation warants it (like when you never see your waiter); what are you supposed to do, just sit there all night with your mouth shut and accept lousy service? Uh uh, not me. And, as I have said over and over and over, also, I almost NEVER "stiff the server", only when that is warranted also. I don't remember the last time, before Friday night, that I had to do that.

Melmart1
07-24-2006, 11:32 AM
I don't think Eriks was talking about the average customer. He was talking about those who demand service THAT THEY DON'T NEED. Those people are just being assholes. I see it all the time. I don't care if you want 8 refills. There are times I get 10 refills. But to demand it when you clearly don't need it? Total bullshit.

As for the nursing tea because you know they don't refill well... If you know this in advacnce, WHY THE HELL DO YOU GO BACK?! I would never EVER keep going to a restaurant that I already know has bad service. If you are stupid enough to do this then don't bitch. There are a lot of other restaurants where this is not the issue, why don't you go to one of those?

Kori Ellis
07-24-2006, 11:34 AM
If the place is extremely busy and I can see my waitress/waiter is swamped ... I'm inclined to be very patient, because I know that evening they are going to get jipped by other patrons who have no understanding whatsoever and an overblown sense of how far their $4.99 special should get them.

I agree. People should be extremely patient with the waiter if a place is swamped. The waiter is having a harder time than the customer is.

I will only bitch if the waiter/waitress is obviously not that busy and still isn't doing their job. Like the time we were at Applebee's and the waitress sat down in the booth next to us talking to her friends while we waited 15 minutes until the manager asked us what we wanted to drink :wtf Things went downhill from there.

Even that time, I didn't really bitch ... I did write a note on the receipt as to why the tip was zero though.

pache100
07-24-2006, 11:36 AM
I don't expect miracles when I go out to eat, regardless of the service I feel I'm entitled to. If the place is extremely busy and I can see my waitress/waiter is swamped ... I'm inclined to be very patient, because I know that evening they are going to get jipped by other patrons who have no understanding whatsoever and an overblown sense of how far their $4.99 special should get them.

Neither do I expect miracles. Just what I'm paying for. And that is one of the other reasons I generally tip well (because I see old geezers leave a dollar bill when they gave the waiter fits...we had to follow around behind my Dad and leave more money because he didn't believe in tipping).

I don't go out to eat for the tea anyway.

Me, either, and I often drink something else, sometimes just water. But I don't feel that I should have to choke my food down either, just because someone feels I am being a pain in the ass because I drain my glass a couple of times during a meal. And, I pointed out before...if more restaurants had "get your own" drink machines or left pitchers of whatever on your table....they'd get no complaints from me.

I am not an unreasonable customer, and I'm sorry I have given that impression.

pache100
07-24-2006, 11:42 AM
I don't think Eriks was talking about the average customer. He was talking about those who demand service THAT THEY DON'T NEED. Those people are just being assholes. I see it all the time. I don't care if you want 8 refills. There are times I get 10 refills. But to demand it when you clearly don't need it? Total bullshit.

I agree with all of that. 100%.

As for the nursing tea because you know they don't refill well... If you know this in advacnce, WHY THE HELL DO YOU GO BACK?! I would never EVER keep going to a restaurant that I already know has bad service. If you are stupid enough to do this then don't bitch. There are a lot of other restaurants where this is not the issue, why don't you go to one of those?

Because we like the food? Because I don't like to let one bad experience with a waiter ruin a restaurant for me? Most of the time, it's isolated cases where this happens, most waiters do not do this. And I have pointed out that if I have bad experiences several times at a restaurant (from more than one server) I don't go back. And, I, myself, pointed out that there are thousands of choices, so I agree with that, too.

Again, I'm sorry that I have given the wrong impression here, but I also think that my remarks have been blown all out of proportion.

TDMVPDPOY
07-24-2006, 11:51 AM
inhale the fart

BurgerKing
07-24-2006, 11:55 AM
Stop by my place and you can have it your way and fill up your own damn drinks!

pache100
07-24-2006, 12:06 PM
Stop by my place and you can have it your way and fill up your own damn drinks!

I do that from time to time, too, BK. You have a really nice place right here on the base.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-24-2006, 12:24 PM
I do it simply to annoy the waiter.

We have one restaurant we go to that charges $2.00 for a Coke and the put it in a 12 oz. glass full of ice.

They do refill, though, so I make sure I have them refill that sucker at least a dozen times when we're there. If the waiter is across the room, but mistakenly makes eye contact with me I'm waving him/her over.

I'll make 3 trips to the restroom during my visit if if means sucking down a few more refills in order to make my point.

Granted it's not the waiter's fault that the restaurant charges too much for what amounts to about 6 ounces of fountain drink per glass, but the waiter has chosen to work here so in some ways they're expecting me to harrass them at every opportunity.

On the flip side, I've talked to the manager a few times and he's a good guy, and I usually tip around 20-25%, so the waiter is definitely rewarded for spending an hour and a half at the soda fountain. I probably wouldn't go there, but the salsa and queso is just too good to pass up.

ComfortablyNumb
07-24-2006, 12:27 PM
I like restaurants like Saltgrass that leave a flask of tea on the tables.

pache100
07-24-2006, 12:29 PM
EHJ, I never take anything that is the restaurant's fault out on the waiter. If the food is not up to par, if I can eat it I do, and then complain to the manager. If I can't eat the food, I ask the waiter to bring the manager over. But I make sure the waiter KNOWS that I am not blaming him/her. And I tip them as I always do, based on their service (for the most part, excellently), no matter what issues I have with the food. If they get an order wrong or leave my food sitting until it's cold (and I only make this judgment if I can see this, like at Jim's), that's another story. They still get a fair tip, but not as nice as it would have been if they'd been on the ball.

I like restaurants like Saltgrass that leave a flask of tea on the tables.

:tu Me, too. And, I like Sea Island because I can get up and get my own.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-24-2006, 12:34 PM
EHJ, I never take anything that is the restaurant's fault out on the waiter. If the food is not up to par, if I can eat it I do, and then complain to the manager. If I can't eat the food, I ask the waiter to bring the manager over. But I make sure the waiter KNOWS that I am not blaming him/her. And I tip them as I always do, based on their service (for the most part, excellently), no matter what issues I have with the food. If they get an order wrong or leave my food sitting until it's cold (and I only make this judgment if I can see this, like at Jim's), that's another story. They still get a fair tip, but not as nice as it would have been if they'd been on the ball.

I'm not blaming them, I'm making sure my tummy is full of delicious cold Coca-Cola. The experienced ones who know me there know to just put a pitcher of Coke on my table.

It's called conditioning, I teach them what I want, and they are rewarded for serving me in the manner to which I expect.

pache100
07-24-2006, 12:37 PM
I'm not blaming them, I'm making sure my tummy is full of delicious cold Coca-Cola. The experienced ones who know me there know to just put a pitcher of Coke on my table.

It's called conditioning, I teach them what I want, and they are rewarded for serving me in the manner to which I expect.

Oh. Well. Ok. :lol

(Xenia, our server at Golden Corral always brings us a pitcher of iced tea for our table; hardly anyone tips those people there, but we leave at least $1 - usually more - each for the clean plates, the pitcher of tea and extra ice, and the friendly attitude she always shows us...we LOVE her, and she usually meets us at the register as soon as we pay to help us to our table.)

Solid D
07-24-2006, 01:02 PM

I don't care if you need more of something or would like something different. All a waiter does is say. "Sure." and walk back to get it when you ask. But when you're not drinking something, and feel the need to gulp down your drink so you can get some more, then not touch it at all afterwards, then that's a problem. And that type of "I need more and need to hoard shit" attitide is probably what makes you a ***** person.

I would say that could have been one of two people. Zombie or Bishop. :lol

07-24-2006, 01:08 PM
Xenia, our server at Golden Corral...

If you have you own personal waitress at the Golden Corral...you might be a redneck.

Sincerely,
Jeff Foxworthy

pache100
07-24-2006, 01:09 PM
If you have you own personal waitress at the Golden Corral...you might be a redneck.

Sincerely,
Jeff Foxworthy

Thanks. That's so constructive. Nothin' like prejudice to make a point.

07-24-2006, 01:16 PM
Thanks. That's so constructive. Nothin' like prejudice to make a point.

Awww, not even a little bit humorous?

pache100
07-24-2006, 01:19 PM
Awww, not even a little bit humorous?

I'll let Xenia know she works in a redneck joint (I'm sure she doesn't know) next time I'm in and see how humorous she thinks it is. :angel

E20
07-24-2006, 01:20 PM
When I want a refill, I just go up to the machine add a little ice and press the button. Sometimes, I just bring empy 2 liter bottles of coke and just fill it up there too.

Ginofan
07-24-2006, 01:21 PM
We've had some pretty crappy service the past few months we've dined out. Sometimes it's the waiter's fault, sometime's it's not, but there's only been one instance where we didn't leave a tip at all, and that's the first time in my life I've ever seen/done that.

I think it just depends on what type of person you are as to what kind of customer you are. I think people who have worked in the industry or in customer service in general are a little bit more understanding of the waiter that is swamped with 8 tables on a Saturday night, than a person who's never had to serve someone else would be.

Also, I usually don't complain to any of our waiters in fear of my food being jacked with...ever seen the movie Waiting? Good lord :lol

pache100
07-24-2006, 01:23 PM
Also, I usually don't complain to any of our waiters in fear my food being jacked with...ever seen the movie Waiting? Good lord :lol

That's exactly why I usually don't complain at all until AFTER I've eaten...and why I go straight to management when I do it as a last resort.

Amazingly, generally speaking...we get EXCELLENT service when we go out to eat because people remember us at the places we frequent. It's the ones we've never seen before that tend to be a problem...and more just right here lately than in a long, long time.

MannyIsGod
07-24-2006, 07:07 PM
Pache, WTF?

Eriks is complaining about a guy that has a glass of tea he doesn't touch, then inhales it at the sight of the waitstaff and you argue that it is because he can't get a refill and that Eriks is a horrible attitude filled server?

Amazing.

iminlakerland
07-25-2006, 01:30 AM
I read this topic earlier today...and I recieved quite possibly the worst service ever at a sushi bar for dinner tonight....here is the recap.

We got to the Sushi Bar there was a wait list, so we signed our name in and waited...an hour later we were still not called. The waitress had crossed our name off and said we werent there and had seated 6 people after us.

Once we were seated, we never got our order sheet/menu...we actually got up and got it ourself. We had no table settings or anything. It took her about 10 minutes just to get our order for drinks. We also asked for an order of edimame, which we were informed they had run out of. 10 minutes later we see the same waitress serve the next table edimame who ordered after us! We were like wtf!?!?!...20 minutes later we had to flag down another waiter so we could just get our sushi order in.

She finally brought us our food after it sat on the counter for about 5 minutes, and never checked on us again after that. No refills, no check in nothing! We had to go up and ask for the bill ourselves she didnt even bring it to us. We had to go up to the staff and once again ask for a box to take our leftovers.

Tonight was quite possibly the worst service i have ever had. Never in my life have i never tipped, and though i have had bad service tonight was just extremely out of control, i can say for the first time ever that I did not leave a tip!

TDMVPDPOY
07-25-2006, 04:12 AM
i never give tips cause im the typical cheap tite asian bastard student guy :D:D

plus tea is usually free when i dine out, and they usually refill it when you ask them.

TheTruth
07-25-2006, 08:06 AM
:lmao

Eriks was just posting about something he observed. Damn you are a little dramatic..

pache100
07-25-2006, 08:17 AM
Pache, WTF?

Eriks is complaining about a guy that has a glass of tea he doesn't touch, then inhales it at the sight of the waitstaff and you argue that it is because he can't get a refill and that Eriks is a horrible attitude filled server?

Amazing.

Eriks was just posting about something he observed. Damn you are a little dramatic..

All I was doing was stating some observations and voicing some opinions...just like everyone else. Sorry y'all don't approve.

MannyIsGod
07-25-2006, 08:31 AM
I never said you weren't free to do that, but I do think your opinions on Eriks are quite baseless.

pache100
07-25-2006, 08:40 AM
I never said you weren't free to do that, but I do think your opinions on Eriks are quite baseless.

All I have to go on is what he said here; that's what I based my comments on. I don't know him except thru what he said. The way he came across, I would not want to sit at one of his tables or be served by him. If he doesn't want people who don't know him to think he's a jerk, he shouldn't come across as one. How in the happy hell could he KNOW why people do the things they do? He is speaking (ranting) from a server point of view; I am responding from a customer point of view. He doesn't know what's in people's heads.

furry_spurry
07-25-2006, 09:32 AM
I'll add some fuel to the fire:

I almost always get better service from male waiters- but is that because I am female? I also think that the nicer the restaurant is, the greater the percentage of the waiters are males.

ObiwanGinobili
07-25-2006, 09:43 AM

I almost always get better service from male waiters- but is that because I am female? I also think that the nicer the restaurant is, the greater the percentage of the waiters are males.

Well I'm just helping you to stir that pot.

#1 - I think thats true. When I was a waitress I left my wedding band at home. If there was a table of 30, 40 or 50 somethings in my section I would give it to the 1st young hott college aged male co-worker who came begging me for it. Ususally I would trade the table full o'ladoes to the male co-worker for one in his section that was full of 8 or 9 Halliburtin or Alcoa guys in thier jumpsuits. You know - hard working, beer swiggin at lunch, most liekly to try to grab my ass. This little scenario usually ended in a 25-35% tip for each of us (me an my male co-worker). Whereas if I had waited on the ladies I would've gaurenteed myself $1 from each of them - no matter how good the service.

#2 - I notice alot more male servers in fancier restaurants. I have no idea why this is.

1Parker1
07-25-2006, 09:47 AM

I have noticed that....:depressed :lol

Perhaps it's because 95% of Philadelphians are rude...

leemajors
07-25-2006, 10:01 AM

i would say that the nicer the restaurant is, the more likely it is that most of the servers are cokeheads.

Melmart1
07-25-2006, 12:14 PM
I think Pache wants to eat at a restaurant and be waited on without the 'human' equation being put into play. Perhaps a nice robot will do?

As for leemajors' comment, I believe that to be true. I even know a guy who has worked at some of the more exclusive restaurants in the city and has been to rehab like six times already.

pache100
07-25-2006, 12:25 PM
I think Pache wants to eat at a restaurant and be waited on without the 'human' equation being put into play. Perhaps a nice robot will do?

No, not at all, the "'human' equation" is precisely what I prefer, not someone playing mind/guessing games with their clients about why the hell they want another glass of tea. Thanks for caring, though.

CharlieMac
07-25-2006, 01:29 PM
All I have to go on is what he said here; that's what I based my comments on. I don't know him except thru what he said. The way he came across, I would not want to sit at one of his tables or be served by him. If he doesn't want people who don't know him to think he's a jerk, he shouldn't come across as one. How in the happy hell could he KNOW why people do the things they do? He is speaking (ranting) from a server point of view; I am responding from a customer point of view. He doesn't know what's in people's heads.

I read into wording and vocabulary for a living, I know how I came across. You have no idea how many hours I've been schooled for that shit. I've already read a couple of comments where you contradict yourself a few times. You claimed waiters like myself are the reason as to why you don't return to certain restaurants, then when some called on you why you return to them you said it was because you like the food.

Just admit your attitude comment makes no sense. If you overheard me making the comment I originally made in my first post at work, then maybe I could understand you thinking I have attitude. Maybe. But to say I have an attitude towards my customers at work based on what I said on the internet? Even Tim Duncan thinks that's retarded.

I've admitted when I was wrong plenty of times before here. I'm actually quite impressionable about something I don't know about. I'm posting a random comment on the internet here. Do you really think I'm going to take that to work where my income depends on my attitude? I'm repeating it because it's mind boggling.

Here's how I know what people want. I'm usually right 90-95% of the time when I judge the type of person I'm serving as soon as they sit down, more than likely because I've been doing this off and on for a decade. The only people I'm usually wrong about are those blonde haired, blue-eyed rich women from Mexico. But I know what I'm dealing with the moment they scream for service, which is usually before they even sit down.

i would say that the nicer the restaurant is, the more likely it is that most of the servers are cokeheads.

I've done jobs at two very expensive/nice/uppity/whatever restaurants here in the city. You're right about the coke heads there, but you'd be suprised how many of those guys are legitimate alcoholics.

I don't know who said, it but I'm going to go eat Sea Island today.

I can't eat sushi. I've tried.

I think people hoard shit because of stem cell research and the fact that there is no forced-prayer in school.

pache100
07-25-2006, 01:44 PM
I don't have anything to say in addition to what I said in posts # 63 and # 69, eriks. And I have not contradicted myself; I said it would take several bad experiences (with more than one waiter) to turn me against returning to a restaurant. I said that several times. I can't make it any clearer.

I have also said that I am glad you do well in your profession and wished you continued success. I haven't changed my mind about that, either. If you wish to continue to intentionally misinterpret what I have said in good faith, and misconstrue my intent, so be it.

Just so you know, I "read into wording and vocabulary for a living", as well in the human resources field. Not that I think you give a damn.

pache100
07-25-2006, 01:51 PM
I can't eat sushi. I've tried.

Me, neither. sushi=bait

I think people hoard shit because of stem cell research and the fact that there is no forced-prayer in school.

Now, that's funny. :lol

Melmart1
07-25-2006, 02:09 PM
No, not at all, the "'human' equation" is precisely what I prefer
Yeah, as long as your waiter "behaves", right?

pache100
07-25-2006, 02:15 PM
Yeah, as long as your waiter "behaves", right?

Yes, as long as he behaves like a human waiter and not an asshole.

Melmart1
07-25-2006, 02:38 PM
So if he doesnt refill your tea the second it goes dry, he is an asshole? God forbid you have to 'choke down' your food without a refill. Seriously, if your food is so dry that you have to choke it down cus you finished your drink, you are still stupid for going back. Stop eating at places that have dry-ass food.

pache100
07-25-2006, 02:46 PM
So if he doesnt refill your tea the second it goes dry, he is an asshole? God forbid you have to 'choke down' your food without a refill. Seriously, if your food is so dry that you have to choke it down cus you finished your drink, you are still stupid for going back. Stop eating at places that have dry-ass food.

Ok, I'm about done with people piling on and twisting my words and making them into things I did not say. I quit. You all win. Have fun tearing me apart.

:yield

Melmart1
07-25-2006, 03:57 PM
:rolleyes All I was pointing out was how dramatic you are- nursing tea and choking down food? Having a relationship with your waiter? You gotta be kidding me. Someone said you were being dramatic and you said no and started backtracking and now you give in.

I am not being a bitch. You are entitled to your opinions. I just don't agree with them and do feel like you take your restaurant patronage way too seriously.

SpursWoman
07-25-2006, 04:16 PM
:rolleyes All I was pointing out was how dramatic you are- nursing tea and choking down food? Having a relationship with your waiter? You gotta be kidding me. Someone said you were being dramatic and you said no and started backtracking and now you give in.

I am not being a bitch. You are entitled to your opinions. I just don't agree with them and do feel like you take your restaurant patronage way too seriously.

Or "dying of thirst" ... after just finishing a drink? I don't drink a lot with dinner so maybe I just don't understand. :lol

Fortunately I've never been to a restaurant where I felt it necessary to talk to management about anything concerning the waitstaff, and I don't think I would regardless. I'm pretty sure I would feel really guilty at the thought of potentially costing someone their job when they might have just been having a bad day. I figure, if they are that bad consistently and are paid primarily by tips ... well, that'll dry up soon enough.

But then I'm pretty low-maintenance ... and I don't mind asking for something if it's over-looked. As long as after I ask it's still not over-looked. :devil :lol

Phenomanul
07-25-2006, 04:24 PM
I read this topic earlier today...and I recieved quite possibly the worst service ever at a sushi bar for dinner tonight....here is the recap.

We got to the Sushi Bar there was a wait list, so we signed our name in and waited...an hour later we were still not called. The waitress had crossed our name off and said we werent there and had seated 6 people after us.

Once we were seated, we never got our order sheet/menu...we actually got up and got it ourself. We had no table settings or anything. It took her about 10 minutes just to get our order for drinks. We also asked for an order of edimame, which we were informed they had run out of. 10 minutes later we see the same waitress serve the next table edimame who ordered after us! We were like wtf!?!?!...20 minutes later we had to flag down another waiter so we could just get our sushi order in.

She finally brought us our food after it sat on the counter for about 5 minutes, and never checked on us again after that. No refills, no check in nothing! We had to go up and ask for the bill ourselves she didnt even bring it to us. We had to go up to the staff and once again ask for a box to take our leftovers.

Tonight was quite possibly the worst service i have ever had. Never in my life have i never tipped, and though i have had bad service tonight was just extremely out of control, i can say for the first time ever that I did not leave a tip!

After that second paragraph I probably would have gotten up and left.

Or eaten. And then refused to pay. I would have given them a list of the grievances you described above. If they heard. Only then would I pay.

:devil :madrun

OK.... I can't pull that off.... I would probably pay :angel but I would let them know I would never visit again...

maxpower
07-25-2006, 05:23 PM
:rolleyes All I was pointing out was how dramatic you are-

And of course the OP did not exaggerate his story. I find it hard to believe there is an entire segment of the restaurant-patronizing population

"who see a waiter walk by with a pitcher of tea and feel the need to inhale... ...their glass of tea. What causes you to panic and suck down over half that glass down in 5 seconds, and frantically waive down that wiater with a pitcher for more?"

I'd imagine a good amount of that "more than half" glass is made up ice.

Again, what does it matter the amount of the person's last gulp or when it was taken?

Your complaints simply reek of waitstaff who is less concerned with giving great service...and is just plain scornful.

And you may show great face to your clientele but this seems to be such a trite reason to be aggravated. It is in line with what you have to do.

Heck...would you really rather they see you with a pitcher, watch you fill someone else's glass return the pitcher to it's station and then call you over sans pitcher and have you return to the pitcher and back?

Melmart1
07-25-2006, 06:07 PM
Maxpower must be under the assumption that I am a waiter. I am not. In fact I work from home because I don't like dealing with the public. But when out in public I don't think that my 12 dollar cheapo steak dinner entitles me to demand things that I don't need.

SpursWoman
07-25-2006, 07:03 PM
"who see a waiter walk by with a pitcher of tea and feel the need to inhale... ...their glass of tea. What causes you to panic and suck down over half that glass down in 5 seconds, and frantically waive down that wiater with a pitcher for more?"

You've obviously never seen this happen. That's exactly what it looks like. :lol

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-25-2006, 07:43 PM
maxpower probably thought Duff's larceny was no big deal, too.

Melmart1
07-25-2006, 07:57 PM
You've obviously never seen this happen. That's exactly what it looks like. :lol
Exactly! It happens- maybe not frequently but often enough. The guy in Eriks' tale is not an isolated incident. And if someone like him that I don't know called me 'mija' I would punch him in the nose. I only have one parent and I bet she don't look like him.

MannyIsGod
07-25-2006, 08:00 PM
Dude, how can people not see something weird about someone inhaling a glass of tea JUST TO GET MORE!!!!!

I don't understand.

JoeChalupa
07-25-2006, 08:33 PM
I admit I do that sometimes. Not necessarily inhale but yeah I'll take a gulp or two so I can get a refill. Don't see nothing wrong with it but that's just me.

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-25-2006, 08:54 PM
I admit I do that sometimes. Not necessarily inhale but yeah I'll take a gulp or two so I can get a refill. Don't see nothing wrong with it but that's just me.

I think the whole point of the matter is...

Do you continue to drink your newly deposited tea or let it sit there without touching it?

maxpower
07-25-2006, 09:01 PM
Maxpower must be under the assumption that I am a waiter.
I sure did not think anything about you. I just used your quote because you think Pache is exaggerating...when it seems the OP (original poster) may be embelishing a bit for dramatic effect.

and....

WTF?

maxpower probably thought Duff's larceny was no big deal, too.
LaChino, you gotta be kidding me.

JoeChalupa
07-25-2006, 09:09 PM
I think the whole point of the matter is...

Do you continue to drink your newly deposited tea or let it sit there without touching it?

No, I feel guilty wasting it so if I get a refill I down it before I leave the table or just wave off the waiter if he/she attempts to refill it again.

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-25-2006, 09:13 PM
No, I feel guilty wasting it so if I get a refill I down it before I leave the table or just wave off the waiter if he/she attempts to refill it again.

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/10900/brilliant.jpg

SpursWoman
07-25-2006, 09:16 PM
You know, I was thinking about it...and what really irritates the shit out of me is when I'm at dinner somewhere and my glass is still 1/2 full and they top it off. WTF? I use sweet & low and one is perfect for a full glass. Now I've got to add another 1/2 a packet? I hate that shit. :lmao

CharlieMac
07-25-2006, 09:16 PM
I sure did not think anything about you. I just used your quote because you think Pache is exaggerating...when it seems the OP (original poster) may be embelishing a bit for dramatic effect.

Which part would that be?

CharlieMac
07-25-2006, 09:19 PM
You know, I was thinking about it...and what really irritates the shit out of me is when I'm at dinner somewhere and my glass is still 1/2 full and they top it off. WTF? I use sweet & low and one is perfect for a full glass. Now I've got to add another 1/2 a packet? I hate that shit. :lmao

Yeah, that's something people gotta pick up on. If I notice someone gets just the right amount of sweet-n-low in their tea, I don't refill that until it's time time for it to be refilled. It's the little things you have to look out for. when I bartend I don't ask people if they're ready for another beer if they're obviously not even half when done with it. That's just annoying.

ShoogarBear
07-25-2006, 09:25 PM
I can't believe this friggin thread has gone on this long . . .

Exactly!

That's the first post here I can agree with. I like my ice tea just so, and if they don't pre-sweeten it, then I have to perfect it myself. Once I get it there, don't sneak up on my glass and fuck it up. I think waitresses actually come and screw with my ice tea on purpose.

SpursWoman
07-25-2006, 09:33 PM
But I still say "thank you". :lol

Melmart1
07-25-2006, 09:33 PM
:flipoff damn you, Shoog!

And I do agree with SW on the sweetened tea thing. I generally order a diet soda more often than not, though. But on occasions where I order tea, I would rather wait till its empty for that reason.

maxpower
07-25-2006, 09:34 PM
Which part would that be?

panic and suck down over half that glass down in 5 seconds, and frantically waive down that wiater

CharlieMac
07-25-2006, 10:09 PM
Yeah, too bad other people agree that that's exactly how it looks.