PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs reach agreement with Ty Law

Pistons < Spurs
07-23-2006, 05:09 PM
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

The Chiefs have agreed to terms of a five-year contract with veteran cornerback Ty Law, concluding months of negotiations and giving the Chiefs another piece as they rebuild their defense.

Law was to arrive in Kansas City on Monday, take a physical examination and, if all goes well, sign his new contract. He would then be able to participate when the Chiefs begin training camp Friday at the University of Wisconsin-River Falls.

Other contract terms were immediately unavailable.

“It got to a number where we were comfortable and they were comfortable,” Chiefs president/general manager Carl Peterson said. “Hopefully, he will be well worth the effort.”

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/15106482.htm

TheSanityAnnex
07-23-2006, 05:56 PM
I was hoping the Chargers would make a run at him.....................but not with a 5 year contract.

exstatic
07-23-2006, 06:14 PM
When is a 5 year contract not a 5 year contract? When it's an NFL contract...

TheSanityAnnex
07-23-2006, 06:15 PM
Wonder how much the contract is worth?

Pistons < Spurs
07-23-2006, 06:23 PM
Supposedly it's for 30 million

exstatic
07-23-2006, 06:24 PM
The only amount that matters are the guaranteed dollars. Chances are, that's all he'll ever see.

TxJudsonRocketTx
07-23-2006, 09:23 PM
Now as for my Chiefs, I doubt we go to the Superbowl with no WR's and nobody in the secondary, hopefully they prove me wrong and LJ runs for 3000 yards.

Well, now I just have to worry about the WR position, but this is great news for all Chiefs fans :elephant

Pistons < Spurs
07-23-2006, 10:06 PM
Ty Law reunites with Edwards in Kansas City
ESPN.com news services

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Pro Bowl cornerback Ty Law agreed to a five-year deal with the Kansas City Chiefs on Sunday.

Law will rejoin Herman Edwards, who coached him with the New York Jets last year, when the veteran came back from a severe foot injury and led the NFL with 10 interceptions. Chiefs spokesman Bob Moore said Law will take his physical Monday.

Edwards, who replaced Dick Vermeil as head coach of the Chiefs, is a former Pro Bowl cornerback and has vowed to revamp a Kansas City defense that the past five years has been near the bottom of the league.

The 32-year-old Law, a five-time Pro Bowl selection, will pair with Patrick Surtain in what could be the Chiefs' strongest secondary since James Hasty and Dale Carter anchored the backfield in the mid-1990s.

Also bolstering the defense will be end Tamba Hali, the team's first-round pick out of Penn State who is thought to be close to signing a contract that would get him in uniform for the start of training camp in River Falls, Wis., on Friday.

Since 2001, a woeful defense has hurt the Chiefs' offense, which racked up yards and points behind running backs Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson, tight end Tony Gonzalez, and Pro Bowl linemen Brian Waters, Will Shields and Willie Roaf.

But the defense last year showed signs of coming around, with the signing of Surtain and the emergence of second-year defensive end Jared Allen, who led the team with 11 sacks.

Law cost the Jets around $6 million last year. Terms of his deal with Kansas City were not immediately available.

"It got to a number where we were comfortable and they were comfortable," Chiefs president/general manager Carl Peterson told the Kansas City Star. "Hopefully, he will be well worth the effort."

His presence is certain to excite both fans and teammates, as it did Allen, who was driving to Kansas City on Sunday when told of the news.

"That is awesome," he shouted. When he turned to teammate and linebacker Boomer Grigsby and told him, Grigsby let out a whoop, too.

"That's going to be a huge help to us," Allen said. "Our defense is going to be awesome. The guy's a great athlete, a great player. He's been to the Super Bowl."

The Chiefs talked with Law last year before he signed with the Jets. They were one of several teams interested in picking him up this season.

"I didn't think it would happen," Allen said. "Rumors were always floating around. But I'm really glad we got him."

scott
07-23-2006, 10:20 PM
Although he had 10 picks last year, his coverage was actually pretty mediocre at best. Interceptions are a "wow" stat - but the true stud CB's never rack them up because they shut down a WR and don't see balls coming their way. Even in Deion Sander's prime he never got many picks (his career high was 7, his last year with Atlanta).

Pistons < Spurs
07-23-2006, 10:20 PM
Well, now I just have to worry about the WR position, but this is great news for all Chiefs fans :elephant

You mean you're not happy with Edie K and the great Samie Parker? LOL I've been bitching about our receivers for years ... only to see Trent Green still be able to get 4000 passing yards to them (and Tony of course). I'm really hopeful that Craphonso Thorpe gets some run this year. IMO he should be starting over Parker. Parker has shown brief glimpses, but has proven to be nothing more than an undependable 3rd WR at best. And Kennison is what 33 years old now? Yet to his credit, the last 2 yrs, he's compiled 2200 yards and 13 TD's.

Hopefully Thorpe steps up this year, and becomes our #1 WR next year, allowing Eddie to move to the #2 ... and we better acquire some real talent in the draft or free agency next year.

Go Chiefs!

Pistons < Spurs
07-23-2006, 10:34 PM
Although he had 10 picks last year, his coverage was actually pretty mediocre at best. Interceptions are a "wow" stat - but the true stud CB's never rack them up because they shut down a WR and don't see balls coming their way. Even in Deion Sander's prime he never got many picks (his career high was 7, his last year with Atlanta).

Yep. You're right. I watched him with interest as I was really hoping the Chiefs got him last year, and like you stated he wasn't really all that impressive. He got beat often and played rather soft on his man. I'm hoping that had more to do with him still recovering from his injury. Hopefully he's over that now, and in decent shape.

A prepared Law, matched up w/ Patrick Surtain, Sammy Knight and Gregg Wesley could make for one of the more formidable secondaries in the L next year.

TxJudsonRocketTx
07-23-2006, 11:55 PM
A prepared Law, matched up w/ Patrick Surtain, Sammy Knight and Gregg Wesley could make for one of the more formidable secondaries in the L next year.

Very true and something I am very excited about, this is probaly the most pysched Ive been for a Chiefs defense to take the field since we played the Cardinals 2 years ago

BruceBowenFan
07-24-2006, 10:10 AM
lets go chiefs lets go

slayermin
07-25-2006, 11:29 PM
I might get killed for this but I'm not sold on Herm Edwards. He's a good rah-rah coach. But as a strategist, I have my doubts.

KC is loaded with talent so maybe he will be a good fit. I like offensive gurus like Jon Gruden and Mike Shanahan.

johngateswhiteley
07-25-2006, 11:42 PM
I might get killed for this but I'm not sold on Herm Edwards. He's a good rah-rah coach. But as a strategist, I have my doubts.

KC is loaded with talent so maybe he will be a good fit. I like offensive gurus like Jon Gruden and Mike Shanahan.

slayermin-
...the same Spurs fan that lives in los angeles? the same Spurs fan that i met @ hooters in Santa Monica to watch the Spurs v. lakers series in 2003? i had a black spurs shirt on with a long sleeve white shirt underneath and 3 of my college friends were with me. if this is you, WHATS UP BRO!!!

edit: i sat to the left of your table, you were on my right.

Beer is Good
07-26-2006, 12:06 AM
slayermin-
...the same Spurs fan that lives in los angeles? the same Spurs fan that i met @ hooters in Santa Monica to watch the Spurs v. lakers series in 2003? i had a black spurs shirt on with a long sleeve white shirt underneath and 3 of my college friends were with me. if this is you, WHATS UP BRO!!!

so you all were the bastards that wouldnt shut up and kept jumping in front of the screen... :lol

slayermin
07-26-2006, 01:53 AM
slayermin-

Guilty as charged. What's up, man. I remember you. That was our spot in Santa Monica. After the '04 season, gtg's were never the same.

Fuck Derek Fisher! :flipoff

I hope you are doing well.