PDA

View Full Version : Give me a break - David Chancellor

Solid D
07-23-2006, 05:48 PM
WOAI Sports' David Chancellor, one of my favorites BTW, is previewing Sports Sunday with a tease questioning why the Dallas Cowboys are giving #54, "The Manster" Randy White's number to new Cowboys' rookie Bobby Carpenter.

David there are two Dallas Cowboys in the Ring of Honor who have worn #54. Why make a big deal of it now?

exstatic
07-23-2006, 06:23 PM
NFL numbers are never retired. That stupid kid WR from Pitt who threw his jersey at Parcells has already used Irvin's number, and Aikman and Smiths will be used someday as well. Leave it to KSAT to stir the pot on number use. Weren't they the ones that had the snit about Manu wanting #6?

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-23-2006, 09:02 PM
\Leave it to KSAT to stir the pot on number use.

I don't know who should be more insulted...KSAT or Chance.

Solid D
07-23-2006, 10:11 PM
WOAI, not KSAT.

Chuck Howley is the only player to win a Super Bowl MVP while playing for the losing team. He wore 54 and was the fourth player to enter the Dallas Cowboys Ring of Honor.

There are too many players on a given team for them to be able to retire numbers. Even Bob Lily's number 74 has been given to numerous players and he is "Mister Cowboy". I realize that the Dallas equipment mgr. avoids giving out Roger Staubach's number 12 but there is more room for number flexibility in the first 20 numbers because of NFL positional numbering system.

Perhaps Chancellor is too young to remember Chuck Howley and how good he really was. Perhaps by the time Sports Sunday is aired tonight, they will be reminded of Chuck and realize it's a bit silly to be concerned with giving #54 away to a player, even a very good one.

scott
07-23-2006, 10:17 PM
We had a pretty good special teamer a few years back that wore #33... Bell, I think he ended up with the Texans after we cut him (he was a Campo era DB).

Didn't Darren Hambrick wear #54?

Solid D
07-23-2006, 10:56 PM
:lol I just watched Sports Sunday on WOAI and I guess they decided not to make a big deal out of the number 54.

Obstructed_View
07-23-2006, 11:36 PM
...and Aikman and Smiths will be used someday as well.
You mean Aikman and Hayes?

http://bluestarboys.com/Gallery/BHayes%20(2).jpg

Yeah, it's not a big deal. If they gave Drew Pearson's number to Michael Irvin, and Michael Irvin's number to Antonio Bryant, the number isn't the sacred part.

Solid D
07-23-2006, 11:52 PM
Good one, Obstructed View. Two #22s in the Ring of Honor soon.

Here are two other Ring of Honorees sharing a number:

http://www.bluestarboys.com/Gallery/DPerkins%20(4).jpg
Don Perkins

http://www.bluestarboys.com/Gallery/CHarris%20(5).jpg
Cliff Harris

Obstructed_View
07-24-2006, 01:51 AM
Good one, Obstructed View. Two #22s in the Ring of Honor soon.
Actually they finally put Hayes in a couple of years ago, so both are there now. So there are two 43s, two 54s and two 22s. Why there aren't two 88s is a fucking complete mystery to me.

Solid D
07-24-2006, 08:27 AM
To be honest, but just as embarrassing, while looking at an old list I guess I temporarily forgot that Aikman, Irvin and Smith all went into the Ring of Honor at the same time last year.

I agree that Drew Pearson should be there.

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-26-2006, 09:21 AM
Without a doubt, Drew Pearson should be in the RoH.

FromWayDowntown
07-26-2006, 11:49 AM
Chancellor frequently baffles me with his decisions to fight certain battles. The radio gig seems to have created some need for him to be quasi-controversial -- I guess to have any relevance at all. But he's really, really, really bad at being controversial because he tries to create controversy about the most trivial things. Chancellor as the second banana sports guy is far preferable, in my book, to Chancellor as the guy who tries to stir the pot.

johngateswhiteley
07-26-2006, 02:36 PM
lets be honest....chancellor sucks.

Obstructed_View
07-26-2006, 05:24 PM
But he's really, really, really bad at being controversial because he tries to create controversy about the most trivial things.
Like the Cowboys giving #54 to a first round draft pick when they had previously given it to Darren "what do voluntary mean" Hambrick?