PDA

View Full Version : FA: Rawle Marshall

YamaSama
07-24-2006, 08:51 AM
This from the Fort Worth Star-Telegram:

"Powell and Marshall were rookies last season who made the team as free agents in training camp. Both have non-guaranteed contracts and are expected to be waived by Indiana. The Pacers are trying to clear cap room to acquire free-agent forward Al Harrington."

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/basketball/nba/dallas_mavericks/15109426.htm

Some people here to seem like Rawle - I've heard him described as a poor man's Josh Howard.
Should we go after him for our last roster spot? I'm sure he won't be asking for much - young 3, lots of potential, played for Avery, small contract - sounds like the Spurs kind of guy.

Solid D
07-24-2006, 08:56 AM
Today would be a good opportunity to see Rawle Marshall's game if you happen to have NBAtv. He scored 20 points versus the Spurs RMR Summer League team in a game that is supposed to be televised today.

CubanMustGo
07-24-2006, 09:19 AM
So you're telling me the Pacers would trade away a decent asset in Anthony Johnson solely to pick up 38-year old Darrell Armstrong?? That doesn't make much sense and it's not much of a salary dump ($1.5 M).

And if both guys are waved, why not go after Powell instead of Marshall? Powell is 6'9" vs. Marshall's 6'7".

JamStone
07-24-2006, 10:09 AM
Rawle Marshall is a poor man's Jeryl Sasser, not a poor man's Josh Howard.

Solid D
07-24-2006, 12:48 PM
So you're telling me the Pacers would trade away a decent asset in Anthony Johnson solely to pick up 38-year old Darrell Armstrong?? That doesn't make much sense and it's not much of a salary dump ($1.5 M).

And if both guys are waved, why not go after Powell instead of Marshall? Powell is 6'9" vs. Marshall's 6'7".

I'm not sure of all the Pacers' reasons but I think one of the reasons is to clear everything possible for the Al Harrington trade that should happen at any moment.

AFBlue
07-24-2006, 01:06 PM
I can't remember the last time we carried a full 15 players on the roster, we're pretty hard up against the luxury tax threshold, and Melvin Sanders played good enough to have the leg up if we signed a 15th player. I just don't see the Spurs FO making a move.

Side Note: I HATE to give it up to the Mavs, but if this deal being reported is for real, they pulled off one of the most lop-sided deals of the off-season and left the Pacers w/ nothing. Armstrong gave them maybe 5 mpg and was purely an energy guy. Marshall and Powell, while replaceable, could easily go back to the Mavs after they're waived. And the Mavs get back a solid PG making less than $3 mil a year. Johnson carried the Pacers when O'Neal was hurt and he basically took the starting job from Tinsley.

As a Spurs Fan...this deal sucks!

shaggy17
07-24-2006, 01:13 PM
First of all we will pretty much still make at least 1 more deal. Wait till Aug 21st before confirming that. Second of all STOP overrating ANTHONY JOHNSON!!He is a big upgrade over Armstrong but nothing special.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-24-2006, 01:42 PM

Actually I'm not sure where you get this idea at all. It's pretty clear that they intend to be party to a sign and trade for Al Harrington, and that they need to clear as much cap room as possible to stay under the luxury tax threshold.

AFBlue
07-24-2006, 01:58 PM
First of all we will pretty much still make at least 1 more deal. Wait till Aug 21st before confirming that. Second of all STOP overrating ANTHONY JOHNSON!!He is a big upgrade over Armstrong but nothing special.

Let me clarify, I don't see the Spurs adding a 15th player....that is not to suggest that the Spurs won't try to pull off a trade to get younger and more athletic before season-start.

I thought your second point was funny though. You said Anthony Johnson was overrated, and then you called him a big upgrade. I wasn't trying to say that he was an all-star or that he would take minutes away from Jason Terry, but he CERTAINLY will get more minutes than Armstrong, Marshall, and Powell combined. You could see a scenario where they start Harris at the 1, Terry at the 2, and he's the first guard off the bench.

big3bigD
07-24-2006, 02:09 PM
Marshall is much more offensive oriented than Howard. The two are mainly compared because of their similar size and arm length. Marshall has a little bit better of a natural outside shot, but doesn't rebound nearly as well as Howard. Marshall isn't necessarily the best defender yet, but I think that Pop could change that quickly.

Powell is a low post, bang it up, power foward. He can get grab boards in bunches and defends well, especially in blocking shots. Powell's offensive game is very limited though. He has no range beyond about 12-15 feet, but is pretty good around that basket.

Both guys are young, Powell actually left college early and went to play in the Euro's for a while. I think that this season, he would actally be a true rookie if he had stayed all 4 years in college. Both guys would be good pickups for the Spurs, but each would fill a different need.

I would compare Marshall to Jurmaine Jones, and Powell to Reggie Evans. Both good fits for the Spurs and pop's system, they are just two completely different players.

Bruno
07-24-2006, 03:05 PM
I can't remember the last time we carried a full 15 players on the roster.

We carried 15 players almost during the whole season in 2005 and I definitaly see Spurs doing a trade.

The Anthony Johnson trade is a steal but as I write in the nba news forum, it won't really hurt Spurs.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-24-2006, 05:26 PM
Anthony Johnson is probably one of the most underrated PG's in the league. Probably the ugliest, too.

T Park
07-24-2006, 05:27 PM
I would definately give Marshall a shot.

Powell I don't know about.

LEONARD
07-24-2006, 05:38 PM
The fact that there is a post here discussing how/if Marshall can help the Spurs is greatness :lol

ChumpDumper
07-24-2006, 05:43 PM
Hey, he was good enough to be your 14th man, why can't he be our 15th?