PDA

View Full Version : Delfino Wants Out Of Detroit

Pistons < Spurs
07-24-2006, 09:02 AM
This is a translatin from RealGM:

Delfino Wants Out Of Detroit But Club Will Only Let Him Go To Europe
24th July, 2006 - 9:49 am
LaNacion.com/HoopsHype.com - Carlos Delfino told LaNacion.com in an exclusive interview that he wants out of Detroit.

"I want to leave Detroit, but they don't let me go," said Delfino.

"I had a pretty good offer from Washington and others from the Lakers and the Nuggets, but Detroit will only let me go to play in Europe. The FC Barcelona interest is true, but I would rather play in Italy", said Delfino.

Here is the actual text in the Argentinian paper:

Delfino quiere dejar Detroit y no lo dejanAgregar a mi carpeta

MAR DEL PLATA (De un enviado especial).- "Yo me quiero ir de Detroit, pero no quieren; no me dejan. Tengo un año más de contrato y otro con opción a favor de ellos", contó Carlos Delfino, el alero de los Pistons en la NBA, a poco de llegar a Mar del Plata y concentrarse con el seleccionado.

"Tuve una oferta muy interesante de Washington y otras de los Lakers y Denver, pero Detroit no me quiere prestar dentro de la NBA. Si me dejan ir, es a Europa. Lo de Barcelona es cierto: quiere llevarme, pero yo tengo más ganas de volver a jugar en Italia, de donde también me llamaron", agregó el santafecino, con cierta resignación.

"Creo que hasta después del Mundial nada se va a definir. Hay tiempo todavía, pero yo me siento como preso, si no voy a tener minutos, no quiero seguir en Detroit; ellos lo saben", finalizó.

http://buscador.lanacion.com.ar/Nota.asp?nota_id=825897&high=delfino

JamStone
07-24-2006, 10:08 AM
If Delfino wants out, I say let him go. But, Dumars probably wants to get as much value as he can out of him, which I think is the right thing to do. Delfino is only hurting his trade value by continuing to saying how much he wants out, and that hurts his chances of getting traded because Dumars likely does not want to give him up for nothing.

ALVAREZ6
07-24-2006, 10:32 AM
here we go again....

NBA Junkie
07-24-2006, 10:34 AM
I can't blame the guy for wanting out.

As much as they claim to like Delfino, the Pistons continue to string him along by either not following through on assurances of more playing time or continually making offseason moves for guys that basically play his natural positon of SF.

ABDENOUR POWER
07-24-2006, 11:06 AM
I've been one of the people to support Delfino and demand that he get more PT. Now, I'm just sick of him and his constant whining. Ship him off.

DarkReign
07-24-2006, 11:35 AM
I am starting to doubt the Pistons as an organization. Cant develop talent, cant keep talent happy.

Starting to get repetative.

Rip-Hamilton32
07-24-2006, 11:40 AM
lol just like that little fat kid.

Pistons < Spurs
07-24-2006, 11:54 AM
I am starting to doubt the Pistons as an organization. Cant develop talent, cant keep talent happy.

Starting to get repetative.

While I do agree .... it is awfully difficult to both develop young talent, and be a top winning club at the same time.

ALVAREZ6
07-24-2006, 01:17 PM
While I do agree .... it is awfully difficult to both develop young talent, and be a top winning club at the same time.
TP and the Spurssssss

Pistons < Spurs
07-24-2006, 02:28 PM
TP and the Spurssssss

And we have Tayshaun ....

But what about the other 452 European and South American players the Spurs have drafted in the few years? There in a similiar situation as us. However at least the Spurs draft picks are actually playing somewhere.

Both the Spurs and Pistons each have 1 player they can claim to have brought in and developed in the last 4 years.

However those same two teams have also been to a combined 6 Conference Finals, 4 NBA Finals appearances and 3 NBA Championships (and 1 WWF style Championship Belt :lol) ) in the same time.

Bob Lanier
07-24-2006, 02:29 PM
Over/under until Maxiell demands a trade: 10 months. All the other talent the Pistons have had lately are second-round picks who can leave on their own.

The Pistons weren't a "top winning team" before Tayshaun was a rotation player. Of course, they aren't now, either, but there are established players in the rotation who are a bit less expendable than Michael Curry.

As to Delfino: come to the Bulls... The supposed Lakers rumor is interesting. He'd be a Phil Jackson-style point guard.

RON ARTEST
07-24-2006, 03:45 PM
thank god he didnt go to the lakers because i think hes going to be a really good player

Lp26
07-24-2006, 04:19 PM
I think he's got the talent to become a really good player too. The more he talks though, I just don't see it happening in DET.

ATX Spur
07-24-2006, 06:38 PM
I like Delfino's game. I want to see him get more PT on another team. Washington perhaps?

spurschick
07-24-2006, 07:38 PM
I've had him on my fantasy team and I've been on the fence about letting him go. He's been of very little-to-no value, but I've liked what I've seen when he's gotten more PT and I keep holding out for him to get a chance. If Flip and Dumars won't use him and don't believe in him, what's the use of keeping him in Europe. If they're afraid that he'll do better with another NBA team, they should give him more PT. I just don't understand what they're doing and why.

ABDENOUR POWER
07-24-2006, 11:28 PM
Over/under until Maxiell demands a trade: 10 months.

Over. Whether Maxiell will break into Flip's playing rotation and see some real minutes this year remains to be seen. I'm doubtful about his PT, but even so, Maxiell doesn't really seem to be the type of person who would demand a trade. At least not quite yet.

About Carlos Delfino.... I hate everything about this situation. He's yet another on a long list of young talent the Pistons failed to develop. Seriously, is this team drafting players for other teams? I yelled at Flip all of last year to give Carlos more PT. As I said earlier, however, I've finally grown sick of his whining. If he'll shut up and play, I'd still want him around. I think its pretty clear he wants out, though, and I for one would no longer mind seeing him leave.

The problem, though, is that the Pistons can't afford to trade him away for a bag of chips. They his minutes off the bench. If he's gone, what do they do? Give all the backup SF minutes to Ronald Dupree? I guess it could maybe sort of possibly kind of work, but it definately wouldn't be ideal. To be honest, I'd rather see Amir Johnson get some minutes than Dupree. If Dumars can't get any real value in return for Delfino, he should tell him to just stfu up and play some ball. Okay, maybe he shouldn't use those exact words, but you know what I mean. :lol

Please_dont_ban_me
07-25-2006, 02:51 AM
Stick around, kid...Flip is all about that offense. Eventually you'll get minutes over Tayshaun.

ALVAREZ6
07-25-2006, 09:25 AM
I just don't understand what they're doing and why.
Neither do I.

It seems like they're torturing him. If they think he's that valuable, why won't they play him and try to develop him into an important role player? If they think he would do better on another team with more PT, then they should make up their minds already...

leemajors
07-25-2006, 09:31 AM
Stick around, kid...Flip is all about that offense. Eventually you'll get minutes over Tayshaun.

??? tayshaun's offensive numbers have been steadily increasing. :rolleyes

Pistons < Spurs
07-25-2006, 10:21 AM
http://www.mlive.com/pistons/stories/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1153784414132040.xml&coll=1

Pistons don't put much stock in story that Delfino wants out
Tuesday, July 25, 2006
By A. Sherrod Blakely

AUBURN HILLS -- The Detroit Pistons are putting little stock in a story out of Argentina in which forward Carlos Delfino reportedly told La Nacion newspaper that he wants to leave the Pistons but that they won't let him.

The story is in striking contrast to conversations the Pistons have had with the 6-foot-7 Delfino, an Argentine native who will be in his third NBA season.

"In our face-to-face meetings, he has given us every indication that he wants to play in Detroit, that he doesn't want to be traded, and that he wants to be the best NBA player he can be," John Hammond, Detroit's vice president of basketball operations, said on Monday. "We fully expect him to come in and be a player that will contribute this season."

In June, Pistons president of basketball operations Joe Dumars spoke with Delfino about whether he wanted to remain with the team.

Delfino told Dumars his preference would be to stay in Detroit, but if head coach Flip Saunders didn't want him or if he wasn't going to play, a trade might be the best thing for both parties.

Team officials assured Delfino there would be more opportunities to play next season, after several roster changes were made.

Last month, the Pistons traded Maurice Evans, who split playing time with Delfino last season, to the Los Angeles Lakers for their second-round draft pick, 7-foot-1 Cheick Samb of Senegal. Earlier this month, the Pistons added small forward Ronald Dupree, a player Delfino beat out for playing time in training camp last season.

The Pistons are not that concerned about Delfino's comments to La Nacion. It's one thing for a player to spout off in July. It's a totally different matter if he's making the same comments when training camp begins in October.

"If he says he thinks he should be somewhere else, then I'll be calling you guys together and say, `We just made a trade,' " Dumars said earlier this month. "It's simple. It's not a gray area for me. It's black and white."

The Pistons signed their second-round draft pick, Iowa State point guard Will Blalock. In five games for Detroit's summer league team last week, Blalock averaged 5.2 points, 1.8 rebounds and 3.4 assists per game in 21.8 minutes per game.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-25-2006, 11:05 AM
??? tayshaun's offensive numbers have been steadily increasing. :rolleyes

My dick's been steadily growing. :rolleyes That doesn't make it big.

leemajors
07-25-2006, 11:18 AM
My dick's been steadily growing. :rolleyes That doesn't make it big.

14 ppg, 2nd team all defense. yeah, someone's gonna be taking his starting spot REAL soon. :madrun

Please_dont_ban_me
07-25-2006, 11:21 AM
14 ppg, 2nd team all defense. yeah, someone's gonna be taking his starting spot REAL soon. :madrun

Who said anything about a starting spot? :elephant

I just said he'll get more minutes under Flip. Just like Ben Wallace saw the bench more.

Pistons < Spurs
07-25-2006, 11:28 AM

I just said he'll get more minutes under Flip. Just like Ben Wallace saw the bench more.

Ben played .8 less minutes per game last year. So Delfino should expect .8 more minutes next year? :rolleyes

The only reason any of the starters play less minutes is to rest them for the playoffs. Tay will absolutely not lose playing time in favor of Delfino.

And Ben has played less minutes each year since 2002 (before Flip arrived) so your example sucks.

leemajors
07-25-2006, 11:28 AM

"getting minutes over tayshaun" tayshaun is the starter. maybe you should have worded it differently...

Please_dont_ban_me
07-25-2006, 11:34 AM
Ben played .8 less minutes per game last year. So Delfino should expect .8 more minutes next year? :rolleyes

The only reason any of the starters play less minutes is to rest them for the playoffs. Tay will absolutely not lose playing time in favor of Delfino.

And Ben has played less minutes each year since 2002 (before Flip arrived) so your example sucks.

.9 to be exact.

Wallace's role was declining on that team, and Flip had him the bench more an more for crucial parts of the game. He doesn't value defense as much as other coaches. That's part of the reason he left Detroit.

So no, I don't think my example sucks. But argue the point, instead of the examples.

My point is simply Flip values offense more, and Delfino brings more to the table than Prince does (on offense).

Please_dont_ban_me
07-25-2006, 11:34 AM
"getting minutes over tayshaun" tayshaun is the starter. maybe you should have worded it differently...

I guess...though I thought it would be obvious he's not stealing the starting spot.

Pistons < Spurs
07-25-2006, 11:41 AM
.9 to be exact.

My point is simply Flip values offense more, and Delfino brings more to the table than Prince does (on offense).

Are you crazy? Tay is so often our go to guy on offense. Delfino is a nice piece for us because he can penetrate and not just throw up jumpers like Rip, Billups and Sheed so often do during a game, but it's foolhardy to even begin to think that Del brings more than Tay from an offensive standpoint.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-25-2006, 11:47 AM
Are you crazy? Tay is so often our go to guy on offense. Delfino is a nice piece for us because he can penetrate and not just throw up jumpers like Rip, Billups and Sheed so often do during a game, but it's foolhardy to even begin to think that Del brings more than Tay from an offensive standpoint.

Tayshaun's offense was disgusting when he first came into the league.

He's developed it into where it's potent, but I wouldn't call him the 'go to' guy for that team at any point. His job is to get 10-12 points a night, and shut down the opposing teams best perimeter guy...in my opinion.

That's fine, but if you need a guy on the perimeter who is just a pure offensive player. Who can pass, who can get to the rim and finish, who can shoot, then give Delfino some more minutes. He seems to fit the mold of player who would see the court more under Flip Saunders.

Not saying he's going to start, but he'll see a lot more minutes than he has in the past under Larry Brown. Just my opinion. :D

Please_dont_ban_me
07-25-2006, 11:48 AM
Looking at his stats...

His rookie year he played 15 mpg, last year he played 10. =/ Doesn't make sense, I guess Tayshaun brings enough offense to the table for Flip to warrant not needing Delfino.

Pistons < Spurs
07-25-2006, 11:57 AM
Looking at his stats...

His rookie year he played 15 mpg, last year he played 10. =/ Doesn't make sense, I guess Tayshaun brings enough offense to the table for Flip to warrant not needing Delfino.

I was just about to post that!

And did you see any of the Pistons playoff games last year? Tay was by far our best player on the floor. He had games of (points) 29,24,24,22,21,20,20,18,16,16,15,15,15,12,10,6,3
He can knock down the 3. At times is our best post player and one of the few players we have that can create for himself.

I really don't think you watch enough of his game. I hope like hell that Delfino gets more time, because I do think he'll be a good player ... but it won't be at the expense of Tayshauns role.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-25-2006, 12:00 PM
I was just about to post that!

And did you see any of the Pistons playoff games last year? Tay was by far our best player on the floor. He had games of (points) 29,24,24,22,21,20,20,18,16,16,15,15,15,12,10,6,3
He can knock down the 3. At times is our best post player and one of the few players we have that can create for himself.

I really don't think you watch enough of his game. I hope like hell that Delfino gets more time, because I do think he'll be a good player ... but it won't be at the expense of Tayshauns role.

They're both about the same age, no?

So I doubt he'll ever have a significant role as long as Prince is there.

As for not watching enough of him, I don't have Pistons TV or anything but I've watched him since he came into the league. :D He's always been a nice player, he's worked on his offense. That shots still ugly but it goes down. The thing I noticed this year more than in previous years was his ability to create off the dribble then hit the jump fading away.

Pistons < Spurs
07-25-2006, 12:05 PM
Prince is 2 years older I believe, 26 & 24.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-25-2006, 12:07 PM
He's not really quick enough to play the 2, right? And he's not big enough to play the 4.

Damn, that sucks for him. :D He'll be a career 10-15 mpg guy.

ABDENOUR POWER
07-25-2006, 12:27 PM
Tayshaun's offense was disgusting when he first came into the league.

He's developed it into where it's potent, but I wouldn't call him the 'go to' guy for that team at any point. His job is to get 10-12 points a night, and shut down the opposing teams best perimeter guy...in my opinion.

That's fine, but if you need a guy on the perimeter who is just a pure offensive player. Who can pass, who can get to the rim and finish, who can shoot, then give Delfino some more minutes. He seems to fit the mold of player who would see the court more under Flip Saunders.

Not saying he's going to start, but he'll see a lot more minutes than he has in the past under Larry Brown. Just my opinion. :D

I think you underestimate Tayshaun's offense. He can stretch the D with the 3, is probably the team's best post player, and is a great finisher. He's more than a 10-12 ppg player.

Bob Lanier
07-25-2006, 01:30 PM
Tayshaun Prince definitely isn't a "go-to guy" in any sense, but he's a very good role player who can regularly have big games. Delfino brings certain things to the table offensively, but that's by far the weakest part of his game so far. Tayshaun is a reliable offensive contributor.

What Delfino is is one of the better defensive and rebounding swingmen around, both areas Prince struggles (to say the least) at.

But, I suspect that Delfino will be traded.

Lp26
07-25-2006, 01:40 PM
^

I don't see him being traded, right now anway. Joe D can't afford to do it. He's one of our main-back-ups. He won't get equal value in a trade either. Delfino will get the PT this season, and the he'll either produce or not. (Although i thought his defense was great last year in spot minutes, but Flip doesn't care about that). Traded mid-season? Maybe.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-25-2006, 02:12 PM
I think you underestimate Tayshaun's offense. He can stretch the D with the 3, is probably the team's best post player, and is a great finisher. He's more than a 10-12 ppg player.

As long as Billups/Hamilton/Sheed are on that team I doubt he'll be more than that.

His stats other than his rookie year are all right around 10-14 ppg.

ABDENOUR POWER
07-25-2006, 02:47 PM
As long as Billups/Hamilton/Sheed are on that team I doubt he'll be more than that.

I GUARANTEE that he'll average more than 12 ppg next year.

FreshPrince22
07-25-2006, 02:56 PM
He's not really quick enough to play the 2, right? And he's not big enough to play the 4.

Damn, that sucks for him. :D He'll be a career 10-15 mpg guy.

A. Tayshaun is dangerously close to being a goto cappable guy. If it weren't for Billups and Rip chucking shots he'd probably be our leading scorer since he is our best player in the post.

B. Delfino's natural position is the 2. He's plenty quick for it.

Bob Lanier
07-25-2006, 03:31 PM
he is our best player in the post.
No, he's really not. Tayshaun presents some matchup advantages, but his technique is unrefined and he's relatively easily neutralized. Like any good role player, Tayshaun's offense is considerably more effective with Billups/Rip/Sheed drawing attention than without them.

ALVAREZ6
07-25-2006, 05:18 PM
No, he's really not. Tayshaun presents some matchup advantages, but his technique is unrefined and he's relatively easily neutralized. Like any good role player, Tayshaun's offense is considerably more effective with Billups/Rip/Sheed drawing attention than without them.
I agree with that.

Tayshaun wouldn't be as good as he is without his team.

ABDENOUR POWER
07-25-2006, 05:24 PM
No, he's really not. Tayshaun presents some matchup advantages, but his technique is unrefined

I don't give a shit if his technique is unrefined - he puts the ball in the hoop. :lol

FreshPrince22
07-25-2006, 06:58 PM

I didn't say he was some dominant post-player. I said he was OUR best. Which is fact. Since he's the only guy who actually posts up consistantly. Sheed will go weeks without sniffing the paint.

FreshPrince22
07-25-2006, 07:01 PM
I agree with that.

Tayshaun wouldn't be as good as he is without his team.

Funny that he played his best ball of the season (and his career) when his teammates crapped out on him, and couldn't hit a shot. He carried the team into the ECF, and kept them from getting swept in that series. Plus he gets doubled more than anyone else on the team, because he is the most difficult to stop in a one-on-one situation. Popovich doubled him every single time he touched the ball in the finals in '05.

diego
07-25-2006, 07:28 PM
Prince is the shit, a good all around player. Thats why delfino is never going to be able to do much more than 15mpg in Detroit.

Delfino should earn the time but with Tayshuan ahead of him its nearly impossible. I think everyone expected him to have a bigger role last season but if anything it was reduced. Thats why it is understandable that Delfino has reservations about the bigger role he is being promised this time around.

I also think Delfino could and should play at the 2 some, but with the murray signing....