PDA

View Full Version : Props for Pop

Kori Ellis
10-20-2004, 04:39 PM
Gregg Popovich enters the 2004-05 season staring the career milestone of 400 coaching victories directly in the face. He is currently sitting on 396 wins, with only four games to go to reach the milestone. If the Spurs win 4 games within their first twenty contests this season, he will trail only Pat Riley, Phil Jackson, K.C. Jones, and Billy Cunningham on the all-time list of fastest coaches to 400 victories. On the way to 400 wins, Popovich has ammassed a record that puts him on top for winning percentage among all active coaches (minimum 400 games). Popovich's .653 winning percentage puts him ahead of current coaches such as Jerry Sloan, Don Nelson, and Jeff Van Gundy.

:fro

timvp
10-20-2004, 04:51 PM
The Spurs have a Hall of Fame coach to go along with their Hall of Fame power forward. That is something that is often overlooked.

Kori Ellis
10-20-2004, 04:58 PM
2004 Preseason Coaches Teleconference Call

GREGG POPOVICH
San Antonio Spurs

October 20, 2004

Opening Statement: Most important part is no one is injured. We’re getting through training camp just fine and we have some pretty decent corporate knowledge, returning nine players, which has been unusual for us the last couple of years. The new guys are learning the system slowly but surely on offense and defense. I think we’ll be a pretty quick study in figuring out how we want to play. We’re just hoping that we stay healthy and continue to play as well as we did last season and hopefully the new guys will take care of some deficiencies we had both at the free throw line and from the field shooting-wise, so that’s basically where we are.

Q: Can you talk about the addition of Brent Barry, what role you expect him to play and how he compares with Manu Ginobili?

Popovich: Well, they’re very different players. Manu is more of a slasher and very athletic. Brent we think of a little more as a perimeter player, in the sense that he’s a shooter, whereas Manu’s more of a scorer. Brent is not just a shooter. I think he’s going to raise the basketball I.Q. of our team. He passed well, throws it ahead on the break, understands our defensive principles already, and I think he’ll be able to use his length in that regard the way Hedo Turkoglu did last year. We look to Brent to play an all-around game and basically make everybody better/

Q: Do you see him mostly at the two and some at the one?

Popovich: Mostly at the two, and a lot will depend on Beno Udrih to see if he can handle some one, to see how quickly he comes along. He’s been pretty good in his first two preseason games, but it’s a little early to tell. If we think he can handle some minutes there, then Brent will spend more time at two and three.

Q: Can you talk about Beno Udrih and whether you think he’ll be able to handle some point guard duties this season?

Popovich: I really can’t answer that right now. It’s a question that the preseason will answer. My guess, if you put my feet to the fire, would be that he’s going to get minutes at the one. We really liked him in Chicago. I think as many people missed on him as they did Tony Parker when they let him slide a couple of years ago. The kid is really clever. He’s a real point guard. He really can deliver the basketball. He’s a good shooter, he can shoot it from three and in. Not real strong and it will take some time for him to develop that and understand the game, but he really knows how to play basketball and right now we’re very excited about him.

Nikos
10-20-2004, 04:59 PM
NBA Media Central, does that have a lot of stuff? Are you a member Kori?

Kori Ellis
10-20-2004, 05:00 PM
Yes and yes.

Nikos
10-20-2004, 05:02 PM
Can I sign up? Does it have pictures and audio or what? Or is it standard NBAcom stuff basically organized up?

Kori Ellis
10-20-2004, 05:03 PM
No you can't get sign up. It's for working media members only.

Nikos
10-20-2004, 05:05 PM
Oops I just signed up :lol

Guess they will reject it.

SequSpur
10-20-2004, 05:09 PM
Props to Pop for losing four straight in the playoffs and now 2 preseason games.

Nice!

Kori Ellis
10-20-2004, 05:10 PM
Props to Sequ for continuing not see the big picture.

Maybe that's a height issue :)

Kori Ellis
10-20-2004, 05:11 PM
BTW Sequ, why did MsSequ go off on BH in the Club. Where's the thread in question that she was pissed off about?

SequSpur
10-20-2004, 05:11 PM
Kori,

Props to David and Tim for giving Pop a steady paycheck.

Give credit where credit is due.

SequSpur
10-20-2004, 05:12 PM
It was in the chatzone. Dude is out of control. Saying shit about my family and stuff, I just have him on the ignore list.

Kori Ellis
10-20-2004, 05:15 PM
Okay thanks. He needs to keep it in check, so I just wanted to know what that was all about.

SequSpur
10-20-2004, 05:18 PM
I wasn't the only one, he was also saying crap to one of the Argentineans

ShoogarBear
10-20-2004, 06:00 PM
Casey Jones

"Casey"?

:rollin

Drivin' that train, high on cocaine

(Sorry, Kori, but it's not often that we get to get you on one.)

Kori Ellis
10-20-2004, 06:01 PM
Sorry, I didn't write it, it's on a release from the Spurs. :lol

SpursBalla
10-20-2004, 07:10 PM
From what I remember in he chatroom, TheWriter aka BuddyHolly was only talking mess to Sequ for his none stop bashing of the Spurs. Whottt then said something to TheWriter about being a "asshole" or something like that and he and Whottt kinda went at it.

Sequ's still short.

whottt
10-20-2004, 07:35 PM
I told writer to STFU when he was telling the Argentinians they couldn't talk about Noccioni. On Segu and Writer arguing I just said...they're always fighting or eveyone fights with them....something like that.

But now that you mention it...writer is kind of an asshole...aint no crime.

Kori Ellis
10-20-2004, 08:21 PM
From what I remember in he chatroom, TheWriter aka BuddyHolly was only talking mess to Sequ for his none stop bashing of the Spurs. Whottt then said something to TheWriter about being a "asshole" or something like that and he and Whottt kinda went at it.

Sequ's still short.

SpursBalla AKA TheWriter AKA BuddyHolly AKA X AKA FastNFurious ---

You can't just make up screen names to defend your bad behavior. This goes down as the final warning for you.

Thanks for your cooperation.

--Kori
:princess

jcrod
10-20-2004, 08:24 PM
Take away his first yr's record where he had nothing but scrubs on the team.........His record would be awesome, even though it's awesome now.

Love POP, even though his rotation and subsitute pattern really urk me.

smeagol
10-20-2004, 09:23 PM
I wasn't the only one, he was also saying crap to one of the Argentineans

That would be me.

9 out of 10 of his comments were about Sequ's daughter. After 10 minutes of him writting BS I told him to STFU 'cause it has getting annoying. He then started talking about my Mom and it went downhill from there . . . so I also put him on my ignore list.

By the way, the chat yesterday was cool!