PDA

View Full Version : Chisox close to deal for Soriano

TxJudsonRocketTx
07-24-2006, 05:42 PM
The White Sox are "extremely close" to trading for Nationals outfielder Alfonso Soriano, a source close to the situation told ESPN The Magazine's Tim Kurkjian. The Nationals have great interest in pitcher Brandon McCarthy.

Alfonso Soriano
Left Field
Washington Nationals

2006 SEASON STATISTICS
GM HR RBI R OBP AVG
98 31 62 73 .361 .288

The White Sox also acquired pitcher Mike MacDougal from the Royals in exchange for minor-league pitchers Tyler Lumsden and Daniel Cortes on Monday.

Soriano joined Washington last offseason in a trade from Texas, and the Nationals shifted him from second base to left field. Soriano is batting .288 with 31 homers, 62 RBI and 25 steals.

The slugger, who is scheduled to become a free agent at the end of the season, said Sunday he wanted to remain in Washington but doubted he and the Nationals could agree to a contract extension before the deadline.

The five-time All-Star said he spoke with incoming Nationals president Stan Kasten on Thursday, but they didn't discuss contract details. Soriano added that he doesn't think his agent, Diego Bentz, has discussed numbers with the Nationals, either.

One potential stumbling block if the sides did agree on a new contract: Soriano said he wants a no-trade clause, something Kasten pointed out Sunday he refused to include in contracts he negotiated in recent years while an executive with the Atlanta Braves, the NBA's Hawks and the NHL's Thrashers.

The Royals' closer, MacDougal will likely will be the setup man for Bobby Jenks with the White Sox, who lead the race for the American League wild-card spot at 59-38.

MacDougal, 29, did not allow a run in four appearances for the Royals this season after being activated from the 60-day disabled list on July 13. He had missed the first 3½ months of the campaign with a right shoulder strain.

Last season, MacDougal pitched a career-high 70 1/3 innings and went 5-6 with a 3.33 ERA. He converted 15 consecutive save chances from May 19 to Aug. 20.

In 2003, MacDougal made the AL All-Star team as a rookie. He set a club record with 68 appearances that year and recorded 27 saves.

The Royals own the worst record in the AL at 34-64.

A 23-year-old left-hander, Lumsden was 9-4 with a 2.69 ERA in 20 starts for Double-A Birmingham of the Southern League, while Cortes, a 19-year-old left-hander, went 3-9 with a 4.10 ERA for Class A Kannapolis of the South Atlantic League.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2528494

I hope this crap aint true, because that offense with Soriano in it would be disgusting

scott
07-24-2006, 05:46 PM
My PaleHose may not lose again all season...

Marklar MM
07-24-2006, 06:35 PM
:)...a bit late, are yee.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
07-25-2006, 05:56 AM
Unless he has Babe-like talent and can pitch, the Sox are still in trouble...

degenerate_gambler
07-25-2006, 08:44 AM
No way Chicago lets McCarthy go.

DarkReign
07-25-2006, 11:37 AM
Just reported that this is a vapor deal. ChiSox just came out and said they wont deal their 2 most prized prospects (McCarthy and some other).

After that, what can they deal that the Nats want?

Answer: Nothing.

EDITED: Some young cat named Fields is the guy I couldnt think of.

slayermin
07-25-2006, 11:23 PM
McCarthy doesn't look like anything special. I would do this deal if I was Chicago, unless Soriano won't resign with them.

If I was Washington, I would want Zumaya on the Tigers. That dude is nasty. I still don't understand why Todd Jones is closing when you have Zumaya.

T Park
07-27-2006, 02:15 AM
A team that scores 4 to 5 runs a game.

But, uh, needs pitching.

Doesn't make sense.

TxJudsonRocketTx
07-27-2006, 03:44 AM
It wouldnt make sense to not give up a 6th starter for one of the best hitters in the game, there obviously isnt much pitching on the market this year other than Livan Hernandez and that dude is done, the Sox have to do somethin though because the Santiaranos are closing fast

scott
07-27-2006, 03:58 PM
We don't really need pitching... we just need our pitchers to get out of their funk.

Burn531
07-27-2006, 06:24 PM
What if they don't break out of that funk?

I think this deal was a bluff by the Sox. They wanted the Tigers to make a deal quick. Maybe a deal they would regret later on in the season or next year.