PDA

View Full Version : Kings Signing???

TheSanityAnnex
07-24-2006, 06:15 PM
That fat cunt over at kingsfans.com just said to be on high alert for a signing of a player not named Bonzi Wells.

Bruno
07-24-2006, 06:31 PM
My guess : Scot Pollard

RON ARTEST
07-24-2006, 06:35 PM
yeah grant napear just confirmed it on 1140 khtk, he said something is happening as we speak.

RON ARTEST
07-24-2006, 06:40 PM
its john salmons. :wow

Bruno
07-24-2006, 06:46 PM
If he get $23M/5 years (like with Raptors), it's an horrible signing.

TheSanityAnnex
07-24-2006, 07:00 PM
damn...............hope the contract ain't big

exstatic
07-24-2006, 07:02 PM
If he get $23M/5 years (like with Raptors), it's an horrible signing.
I'm just wondering why he would kill that trade if the money WASN'T the same?

TheSanityAnnex
07-24-2006, 07:03 PM
fuck. it was the whole mle.

this better be a move for a sign and trade.

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-24-2006, 07:13 PM
:lol the full MLE for Salmons?!?!!

Dang, NBA players are being overpaid left right and center this offseason. :smokin

Welcome to the 'we overpay' club :lol

ducks
07-24-2006, 07:15 PM
no wells?

Burn531
07-24-2006, 07:24 PM
I guess that means Wells is going else where.

jman3000
07-24-2006, 07:27 PM
How much did the Kings even offer Bonzi?

A lot of Kings' boards were saying that Bonzi was a done deal because he liked the situation and was saying so many good things about the organization... but this goes to show that players use those words just to get leverage... nothing more.

TheSanityAnnex
07-24-2006, 07:30 PM
How much did the Kings even offer Bonzi?

A lot of Kings' boards were saying that Bonzi was a done deal because he liked the situation and was saying so many good things about the organization... but this goes to show that players use those words just to get leverage... nothing more.
5 years 36 mil I believe. The five years is a bit long for his age, and it takes away from the starting 2 guard Kevin Martin. Bonzi's situation sucked. He had a great playoff run, yet he is old and is looking for a max contract while taking away from the development of Martin. I was hoping he'd take the contract and in a year develop into the 6th man role but nope. :depressed.

TheSanityAnnex
07-24-2006, 07:31 PM
As Nbrans pointed out though, two of the other top front offices were also high on Salmons; Toronto & Phoenix.

Obstructed_View
07-24-2006, 07:41 PM
Seems like a good deal for the Kings. Losing him for nothing is preferable to having the anchor of his contract while he slugs through the next five seasons.

TheSanityAnnex
07-24-2006, 07:43 PM
Seems like a good deal for the Kings. Losing him for nothing is preferable to having the anchor of his contract while he slugs through the next five seasons.
The first offer they made seemed fair. Bonzi wants to get paid.............who can blame him. This is his last chance at a big contract. Too bad no one wanted to give him one. I'm thinking now he signs for cheap with Detroit.

Kori Ellis
07-24-2006, 08:09 PM
So the Kings gave the whole MLE to Salmons? :wtf

What's their status with Bonzi? Do they have other money to sign him or does this mean he's gone?

Doug Collins
07-24-2006, 08:14 PM
That is ridiculously stupid. John Salmons is not worth anything more than maybe 3 mill a year.

ABDENOUR POWER
07-24-2006, 08:15 PM
What's their status with Bonzi? Do they have other money to sign him or does this mean he's gone?

It means that Bonzi is headed to Detroit through a sign and trade involving Delfino. :drunk

Lp26
07-24-2006, 08:21 PM
^

I wish :lol

-KP
07-24-2006, 08:35 PM
This move fucking sucks.

timvp
07-24-2006, 08:40 PM
Kevin Martin, Francisco Garcia, Quincy Douby and now John Salmons? Damn, the Kings must have heard there's going to be a word wide shortage of skinny shooting guards soon.

Salmons on the right team is a good player. Like if he joined PHX, he would have been awesome on that team because he's another triple threat player to go along with Diaw. But on a team like the Kings who are going to stress defense, I just don't see how it's a fit.

Only way is if they plan to run him at point some and perhaps trade away Mike Bibby. Bibby with a defensive coach in charge could get ugly.

timvp
07-24-2006, 08:42 PM
Bonzi Wells with a large contract would turn into a dog. If I'm the Kings I actually think about just letting him walk.

But not to throw big money at John Salmons. Salmons plays the one position where they are overstocked.

Going after a big, defensive center would have made a whole lot more sense.

TheSanityAnnex
07-24-2006, 09:26 PM
This makes absolutely no sense for the Kings. I dont think he will even start. I think Martin will. So why pay this much money for an Artest backup?He will back up the 1,2,and 3 spots. Or so I think. I'm still holding on to the hope that Petrie has something planned with a s&t.

FreshPrince22
07-24-2006, 09:32 PM
damn you Ben Wallace. If you would have just taken the 48 mil offer we would have been signing Bonzi right now for the MLE, and we'd have this shit wrapped up. FUCK!

Lp26
07-24-2006, 09:38 PM
That was the first thought i had too.

Our 5 + Dyess + Bonzi

That sounds almost as good as firing Flip lol

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-24-2006, 09:43 PM
hmmmmmmm i wonder what the Nuggs are thinking. If they can't unload K, they may consider signing Wells for the MLE (if he bites) and letting Reggie walk or maybe even an s&t with the Kings :smokin

Camby/Nene
Nene/K/Najera
Melo/Patterson/Kleiza/Diawara
Wells/Smith/Diawara/Johnson
Dre/Boykins

Its not going to happen though. Reggie is close to re-signing for the Nuggets

ducks
07-24-2006, 10:22 PM
Report: Kings sign G-F John Salmons

July 24, 2006
SACRAMENTO, California (Ticker) - John Salmons apparently has found a home.

After refusing to go to the Phoenix Suns or Toronto Raptors in sign-and-trade deals, Salmons signed Monday with the Sacramento Kings, according to a report on the web site of the Sacramento Bee.

Salmons came into the offseason as a restricted free agent of the Philadelphia 76ers, who had the right to match any offer he received from another team.

ADVERTISEMENT

The four-year swingman had been offered $22 million over five years by the Suns in a sign-and-trade. Instead, the 76ers worked a deal with the Raptors in which Salmons was to receive $23 million over five years.

Philadelphia was to receive a 2007 second-round pick and a $2 million trade exception as compensation, rescinding their rights to Salmons. However, he pulled out of the deal, claiming the Raptors would not have been a good fit for him.

The 6-8 Salmons averaged career highs of 7.5 points, 2.7 rebounds and 2.7 assists last season. In 281 games with Philadelphia, he has averaged 5.1 points, 2.1 rebounds and 1.8 assists.

The Bee also reported that the signing of Salmons means the Kings will not re-sign free agent swingman Bonzi Wells. The Kings reportedly offered Wells $36 million over five years at the outset of the negotiating period earlier this month.

atxrocker
07-24-2006, 10:35 PM
i'm fucking sick right now. what a horrible move. god-fucking-damnit. thanks petrie for the upcoming mediocrity that is next season. two huge steps back is exactly what we had in order. fucking bullshit.

leemajors
07-24-2006, 11:00 PM
i'm fucking sick right now. what a horrible move. god-fucking-damnit. thanks petrie for the upcoming mediocrity that is next season. two huge steps back is exactly what we had in order. fucking bullshit.

5 years, 36 mill sounds like a good deal, dunno why he turned it down or why he thinks he deserves more. bonzi was a force vs SA last year, but i don't know why you would want to count on him consistently.

mavsfan1000
07-24-2006, 11:54 PM
Actually the deal was for 5 years and 25.5 Million but that still is horrible.

DirkAB
07-25-2006, 01:55 AM
All my fellow Kings fans that are bitching and moaning about this signing are really pissing me off. This kid is a real talent. I feel way better about giving him 25 mil over 5 seasons than I do about giving Bonzi 36 mil over 5 seasons, seriously if you think Bonzi is a better deal you are delusional.

Bonzi is injury prone, turnover prone, has a ton of baggage, and is getting old people!!!!!! Get over his great series against the Spurs, BFD he played like a monster for 6 fucking games in a contract season!!!!! Hell, he only played for half a season on top of that, and he has never played a full season in his career, between the injuries and baggage he gets stuck on the sidelines.

Everybody is selling Salmons way short, he is a solid well rounded young player. He got somewhat buried on the bench behind AI and Iguodala, he played well for them when he filled in as a starter and began to get consistent minutes. His stats don't reflect what he is capable of doing. He is talented and verastile, smart, young, and has no baggage. Seems like a perfect fit for Mussleman. He will be the Kings 6th man before the end of the season, and everybody that is bitching now will be singing a different tune once he is the best player off the bench.

Plus, I don't think Bonzi and Mussleman are good fit, he doesn't put up with shit like Adelman did. Adelman was a great coach when it came to players with baggage, I don't think you can count on Mussleman to be the same in that respect. There is something to having too many liabilities in one lockerroom, I think that Artest is enough for Kings to handle. The Kings need to start surrounding Artest with positive influences, not give him another Steven Jackson to bond with, and I think Bonzi could have been that guy. Why take a chance? Especially at that price tag?

Plus, Artest is known for trying to mentor and teach young players the right way to play, sounds weird for a guy with some of his history, but it's true. Him and Kevin Martin already seem to have a solid bond, and surrounding Artest with more young players seems like a great way to keep him in check by appealling to the best parts of his character. A smart well rounded player like Salmons will be a great fit playing alongside and behind Artest. I'll bet you dollars to donuts that Artest tries to take Salmons under his wing like he already has with Martin.

I wouldn't be suprised to see Garcia moved after this pickup though, actually I'm counting on it. I bet he'll be packaged with somebody else, KT if we are lucky, but maybe Corlis for Potapenko for a big. We'll see what everybody has to say about this move come Christmas. It slays me how everybody was jumping or joy when Petrie acquired Hart, now they think the guy is the plague, I bet this turns out exactly the opposite.

RON ARTEST
07-25-2006, 02:14 AM
great post bakrid, why the hell are all the kings fans pissed? there is no way bonzi will be worth 8 million a year in a couple years. then when he starts playing horrible and we pay him that much then everyone will be bitching about that. geoff petrie said on the radio that hes looking at some trades and i still think bonzi will be signed and traded. some of you need to calm the fuck down and remember who the hell our GM is. do any of you remember a guy by the name of kevin martin? he also showed up in the playoffs and scored 26 in his second playoff game ever and in his third game he made the game winning shot, bonzi is a better rebounder but martin is a better scorer, better passer, better shooter and hes quicker.

DirkAB
07-25-2006, 02:21 AM
^^^^^^No shit, Petrie is no chump.

Can the Kings still do a S&T with Wells for the same amount he was offered? Or does this deal put the kibosh on that?

DirkAB
07-25-2006, 02:27 AM
I think John Salmons is a decent player...just not at that price.

You'll see. Maybe a little overpriced for his first year of the contract, after that I think he will be underpaid. He can fill 3 positions.

RON ARTEST
07-25-2006, 02:48 AM
It seems like he can play the point behind Bibby. However, I don't understand drafting 3 skinny SG's 3 years in a row and then signing Salmons. Garcia needs to be traded but I really don't think many teams would want him. Denver might be interested, but who knows.
garcia isnt going anywhere, salmons will be backup point. garcia will be backup smallforward and douby wont get much playing time anyway IMO. i still think bonzi will be signed and traded so i dont understand all of this crying. when did bonzi become a hall of famer? hell hes never even been an all star. :lol

RON ARTEST
07-25-2006, 02:49 AM
You'll see. Maybe a little overpriced for his first year of the contract, after that I think he will be underpaid. He can fill 3 positions.
i agree 100%

timvp
07-25-2006, 05:44 AM
:lol @ Kings fans switching gears on Bonzi now that he's not signing. Not too long ago you guys were all over him.

Bruno
07-25-2006, 08:12 AM
:spin $25.5M/5 years for Salmons, I don't get at all what GMs see in him to give him that kind of money.

TheSanityAnnex
07-25-2006, 08:22 AM
From what I'm hearing, Salmons is signing for less than the MLE.

DirkAB
07-25-2006, 11:09 AM
:lol @ Kings fans switching gears on Bonzi now that he's not signing. Not too long ago you guys were all over him.

I was never all over him, and I thought that 36 million dollar offer for him was about the worst mover the Kings could have ever made, unless it was in a sign and trade. He is too old, injury prone, and too injury prone to offer that long or big of a contract. He also doesn't fit will, he can't stretch the defense. The Kings need somebody that can shoot at the starting SG spot, and Kevin Martin is the perfect fit. The only negative I see is we are losing his rebounding, which means that Kenny Thomas will probably be forced to start again.

RON ARTEST
07-25-2006, 05:09 PM
:lol @ Kings fans switching gears on Bonzi now that he's not signing. Not too long ago you guys were all over him.what kings fans are you talking about? i was never all over him, i liked him alot and i would love to have him back but there is no way i would pay him waht hes asking because i know in a couple years will try to trade him for not being worth it. kevin martin is the starter so im not depressed about anything. lol at you saying were switching gears, you have no idea what the hell your talking about. in a couple of days when petrie makes some trades the petrie for president threads will start up again.

RON ARTEST
07-25-2006, 05:10 PM
I was never all over him, and I thought that 36 million dollar offer for him was about the worst mover the Kings could have ever made, unless it was in a sign and trade. He is too old, injury prone, and too injury prone to offer that long or big of a contract. He also doesn't fit will, he can't stretch the defense. The Kings need somebody that can shoot at the starting SG spot, and Kevin Martin is the perfect fit. The only negative I see is we are losing his rebounding, which means that Kenny Thomas will probably be forced to start again.
oh god dont say that, i want kenny thomas gone NOW!

Sacramental
07-26-2006, 11:57 PM
All my fellow Kings fans that are bitching and moaning about this signing are really pissing me off. This kid is a real talent. I feel way better about giving him 25 mil over 5 seasons than I do about giving Bonzi 36 mil over 5 seasons, seriously if you think Bonzi is a better deal you are delusional.

Bonzi is injury prone, turnover prone, has a ton of baggage, and is getting old people!!!!!! Get over his great series against the Spurs, BFD he played like a monster for 6 fucking games in a contract season!!!!! Hell, he only played for half a season on top of that, and he has never played a full season in his career, between the injuries and baggage he gets stuck on the sidelines.

Everybody is selling Salmons way short, he is a solid well rounded young player. He got somewhat buried on the bench behind AI and Iguodala, he played well for them when he filled in as a starter and began to get consistent minutes. His stats don't reflect what he is capable of doing. He is talented and verastile, smart, young, and has no baggage. Seems like a perfect fit for Mussleman. He will be the Kings 6th man before the end of the season, and everybody that is bitching now will be singing a different tune once he is the best player off the bench.

Plus, I don't think Bonzi and Mussleman are good fit, he doesn't put up with shit like Adelman did. Adelman was a great coach when it came to players with baggage, I don't think you can count on Mussleman to be the same in that respect. There is something to having too many liabilities in one lockerroom, I think that Artest is enough for Kings to handle. The Kings need to start surrounding Artest with positive influences, not give him another Steven Jackson to bond with, and I think Bonzi could have been that guy. Why take a chance? Especially at that price tag?

Plus, Artest is known for trying to mentor and teach young players the right way to play, sounds weird for a guy with some of his history, but it's true. Him and Kevin Martin already seem to have a solid bond, and surrounding Artest with more young players seems like a great way to keep him in check by appealling to the best parts of his character. A smart well rounded player like Salmons will be a great fit playing alongside and behind Artest. I'll bet you dollars to donuts that Artest tries to take Salmons under his wing like he already has with Martin.

I wouldn't be suprised to see Garcia moved after this pickup though, actually I'm counting on it. I bet he'll be packaged with somebody else, KT if we are lucky, but maybe Corlis for Potapenko for a big. We'll see what everybody has to say about this move come Christmas. It slays me how everybody was jumping or joy when Petrie acquired Hart, now they think the guy is the plague, I bet this turns out exactly the opposite.

:clap :clap :clap :clap

baseline bum
07-27-2006, 08:26 PM
John Salmons sucks. If I was a Kings fan I'd be majorly pissed... yeah Wells is old. yes, Wells is a head case... but at least Wells can play. Salmons isn't some untapped potential at 27. He's been completely worthless in his 4 years in the NBA. I don't get timvp's statement about him being a three-point threat, considering he only shot 29.9% from the three last year. The guy is a career 40.6% shooter, coming off a career-best 42.0% season. I don't see anything positive in this guy. It's not like he's some lockdown defender, or a good rebounder at his position, or a spot-up shooter, or some other special-role player. He seems pretty turnover-prone also. I don't get it. John Salmons is a piece of crap, and you don't sign scrubs to five year deals.

I mean, I wouldn't give Wells a five-year deal either, but that's no reason to go and make one asinine move just because you passed on making another.