PDA

View Full Version : MAVS sign Devean George

sribb43
07-24-2006, 09:21 PM
George to Mavs (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/072506dnspoaveryjohnson.1c38e6a5.html)

Johnson: No problems with contract

09:02 PM CDT on Monday, July 24, 2006

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

If there was any doubt about the Mavericks' unified front, it was squashed on Monday.

Avery Johnson made it clear that he and Mark Cuban are on excellent terms and if there was any angst about Johnson's contract in the heat of the moment after the NBA Finals, those days are past.

Both parties said the Maverick ocean is as smooth as can be heading into what figures to be a quiet month. Johnson, who leaves today for an extended trip to Africa, and Cuban met for more than an hour Monday and touched on numerous subjects. Johnson's salary wasn't high on the list, apparently, because it has either already been addressed or will be soon, Johnson said during an interview that was heavy on the positive vibes. It's clear he is happy with what has transpired since the NBA Finals.

"If I was in a situation contractually that needed to be addressed, wouldn't you think Mark would address it because of how close our relationship is?" Johnson said. "We need to give him more credit. It's been reported that he didn't address my contract? How do you know that? Let's give Mark more credit than that.

"In my situation, if you had the type of contract I had and it needed to be addressed ... as creative as he is, why, after what happened in the last situation, would he want to ever have any tension? Even if I was wrong about something, hypothetically, why would he want to have any tension with a coach that is as loyal as they come? So give him some credit. That's my point."

Cuban has called the issue a non-issue and said via e-mail on Monday: "Avery, Donnie (Nelson) and I are partners. That's the best way I can put it." He's said on many occasions that he will always put Johnson, his staff, and the players in the best possible position for success.

Johnson added that if his original contract – which is worth close to $12 million for four years and $2.5 million for the coming season – has been restructured, people may never know about it.

"Right now, I have a contract," Johnson said. "And if there is a time that Mark wants to revisit it, we will. But it's really nobody else's (business). Mark's not going to put me in a position where I can't do the best job. He's just not going to do it. He's too smart for that.

"But everything we do around here, we do it on our own timing. And whatever we're doing, we're headed in the right direction."

In his first full season as a head coach, Johnson led the Mavericks to the NBA Finals for the first time in franchise history. That success ensured that his original contract would be guaranteed for four seasons.

Johnson's predecessor, Don Nelson, had a difficult relationship with Cuban at the end of his coaching tenure. When Nelson led the Mavericks to the Western Conference finals in 2003, his contract was expiring. It took protracted negotiations for him to get a three-year extension.

There is no such frostiness between Johnson and Cuban.

"Instead of criticizing him, let's give him some credit, because he's smarter than what you think," Johnson said of Cuban. "Mark is not going to do anything that is going to be a detriment to our players or our coaches or our fans. So give him credit.

"All is good in Mavs-land."

George on the way: The Mavericks are working on details of a contract that will lock up former Los Angeles Laker Devean George.

The 6-8, free-agent forward was a vital part of the Lakers' championship teams with Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant. That experience is what has the Mavericks excited about the possibility of landing him with a veteran's minimum contract, about $1.2 million, guaranteed.

The Mavericks on Monday finalized the trade that brings backup point guard Anthony Johnson to the team for Darrell Armstrong, Josh Powell and Rawle Marshall. Even if Powell and Marshall are waived by the Pacers, they will not be returning to Dallas, apparently.

The Mavericks, according to Johnson, believe that a veteran with NBA Finals experience will better serve them at this point than young projects. George would fit that billing.

Briefly: The Mavericks' coaching staff may have at least one more addition coming. While Del Harris, Joe Prunty and Larry Riley appear to be set to return as Johnson's assistants, the role of Rolando Blackman has not been determined. Sam Vincent, who coached the Fort Worth Flyers of the NBA Developmental League last season, is believed to be on the short list of possible replacements. Blackman would remain with the team in another capacity ... The Mavs Foundation has teamed up with Glidden, Office Expo and DeVry University to create the Dallas Mavericks Reading & Learning Center at Buckner Vickery Wellness Center in North Dallas. The renovated facility was provided computers and infrastructure by the Mavs. This is the fifth Mavs' Reading & Learning Center opened in the Metroplex.

E-mail [email protected]

Amarelooms
07-24-2006, 09:25 PM
Boy my Mavs are active this offseason...love George...hopefully dude will come in and produce off the bench. Rumor has it a Damp for Kenyon Martin trade is in the works.

sribb43
07-24-2006, 09:32 PM
Much rather have George playing than an unreliable and less proven Rawle Marshall. If there are injuries George can come in and start a few games if needed

Kori Ellis
07-24-2006, 09:34 PM
For the minimum, he's a decent pickup. I doubt the Mavs will have to rely on him for much.

How many players do the Mavs have signed now?

sribb43
07-24-2006, 09:37 PM
I think it makes 14 now:

PG: Harris / Johnson
SG: Terry / Buckner / Stackhouse / Ager
SF: Howard / George
PF: Nowiztki / Croshere
C: Diop / Dampier / mBenga / Podkolzin

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-24-2006, 09:37 PM
Rumor has it a Damp for Kenyon Martin trade is in the works.

where did you hear this?

Amarelooms
07-24-2006, 09:39 PM
For the minimum, he's a decent pickup. I doubt the Mavs will have to rely on him for much.

How many players do the Mavs have signed now?

I believe the answer is a MILLION lol. I hope the Mavs are done for now...will be interesting to see how the new pieces fit in. Anthony Johnson, Devon George and Croshere are upgrades from DA, Daniels, and KVH I think.

Amarelooms
07-24-2006, 09:41 PM
where did you hear this?

All over the place...Dampier/KVH (sign and trade) for Kmart has been offered. Not sure if I like this. Damp gets a bad wrap...dude clogs up the middle and rebounds well. Just wish he could catch the ball and maybe finish around the rim now and then....

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-24-2006, 09:47 PM
All over the place...Dampier/KVH (sign and trade) for Kmart has been offered. Not sure if I like this. Damp gets a bad wrap...dude clogs up the middle and rebounds well. Just wish he could catch the ball and maybe finish around the rim now and then....

oh ok, its part of that trade idea :smokin

will be interesting to see how it develops. Sounds like basically ugly contract swapping :lol

ChumpDumper
07-24-2006, 09:48 PM
Johnson, who leaves today for an extended trip to Africa
http://www.maryhartz.com/images/dave%20chappelle.jpg

Amarelooms
07-24-2006, 09:49 PM
http://www.maryhartz.com/images/dave%20chappelle.jpg

I'm RICH BITCH!!!!

ducks
07-24-2006, 09:57 PM
dallas there is only one ball

I think some one(harris) and others are going to want minutes
does howard's contract run out next year?
if so he will want touches...

awmyplace
07-24-2006, 09:58 PM
I'm RICH BITCH!!!!

:lol

StylisticS
07-24-2006, 10:25 PM
. Rumor has it a Damp for Kenyon Martin trade is in the works.

I hope that does NOT work out.

LB7
07-24-2006, 10:57 PM
dallas there is only one ball

I think some one(harris) and others are going to want minutes
does howard's contract run out next year?
if so he will want touches...
Cuban is wanting contract extensions for he and Dirk both. This offseason, the top 3 priorities listed were re-sign Terry and contract extensions for Josh and Dirk. That shouldn't be a problem but there isn't a big rush. Also, George is a role player so he won't play into guys wanting big minutes. Martin might but who knows how true that rumor really is so we can worry about that when it actually happens. Harris will get his minutes. 3 PGs and Johnson is the 3rd. Terry and Harris will get the majority of those minutes. No problem there. Howard will get plenty of touches as he will continue to improve. No problem there. So far, good off-season for the Mavs.

No major overhaul, core group still intact and some (hopefully) upgrades, although slight, from KVH, Griff and Daniels.

leemajors
07-24-2006, 11:02 PM

dude gets a bad rap because he makes star money and can't beat out diop for a starting position. that trade would be hilarious, and give a huge portion of the mavs offensive rebounding away.

Amarelooms
07-24-2006, 11:15 PM
dude gets a bad rap because he makes star money and can't beat out diop for a starting position. that trade would be hilarious, and give a huge portion of the mavs offensive rebounding away.

Yeah but who needs offensive rebounding when teams can't stop you from scoring :elephant

ChumpDumper
07-24-2006, 11:35 PM
Dampier is only as good as his backup.

That said I can't believe the Mavs would take on another max contract playoff bust just when they had gotten rid of one.

Great deal for Denver.

pussyface
07-24-2006, 11:39 PM
im not so sure that kenyon martin doesnt have some good ball left in him.

pussyface
07-24-2006, 11:40 PM
That said I can't believe the Mavs would take on another max contract playoff bust just when they had gotten rid of one.

Great deal for Denver.

what you just said makes no sense. if both guys are "max contract playoff busts" how is one team making out great while the other is stupid?

i guess you are just blinded by your hatred for the team that eliminated your guys from the playoffs, yes yes?

dirk4mvp
07-24-2006, 11:44 PM
I'm RICH BITCH!!!!

It's actually I'm Rich B-otch.

ChumpDumper
07-24-2006, 11:46 PM
Try reading this slowly:

Keith Van Horn is a playoff bust who was making the max.

Kenyon Martin is a playoff bust who is making the max.

I guess you don't understand because you are an idiot, yes yes!

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-24-2006, 11:48 PM
im not so sure that kenyon martin doesnt have some good ball left in him.

thats what worries me :smokin

Id worried he may FINALLY get healthy and put it all together. I dont want the possibility of that happening on a team in the west and especially not the Western Conference Champs :fro

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-24-2006, 11:51 PM
i dont want Dampier at all. Nuggets should hold onto K and wait for Isiah to flip out early next season and trade an exp contract for K :lol

ABDENOUR POWER
07-24-2006, 11:55 PM
Man the Mavs are active this off-season. George is a good aquisition for the minimum, and while he'll probably play a small role, its good to have someone like that ready to step in if needed. He'll add to an already solid bench.

pussyface
07-25-2006, 12:24 AM
Keith Van Horn is a playoff bust who was making the max.

Kenyon Martin is a playoff bust who is making the max.

so how does it compute that denver will be making out great if they make this trade and dallas will be making out terribly?

dont overrate yourself

ChumpDumper
07-25-2006, 12:26 AM
Because they won't be paying Van Horn the max.

I could NEVER overrate myself.

dieman8686
07-25-2006, 01:47 AM

Okay...(lol) you make no sense man...
KVH is a "FA: that sucks, in which we got some salary relief off his contract this offseason. What your saying is that Denver will get the better deal because they don't have to pay KVH a max contract?( :lol )You're acting as if Denver will get a huge bargain with KVH. Pussy face was right your overrating yourself with absolute nonsense...

pussyface
07-25-2006, 02:15 AM

i will have to admit that you are pretty good at coming up with gay little self agrandizing quips that aren't nearly as funny as you think they are.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-25-2006, 02:48 AM
Good.

He's Manu's bitch without Shaq behind him to swat shots. :D

ChumpDumper
07-25-2006, 03:20 AM
Okay...(lol) you make no sense man...
KVH is a "FA: that sucks, in which we got some salary relief off his contract this offseason. What your saying is that Denver will get the better deal because they don't have to pay KVH a max contract?( :lol )You're acting as if Denver will get a huge bargain with KVH. Pussy face was right your overrating yourself with absolute nonsense...These Mavfans are not good at math and if they were basketball fans before last season they would know of what I speak. I refuse to spoon feed idiots who can bring anything better than weak homo smack. They can tell each other how different it will be pleasuring themselves to images of KMart than KVH.

I look forward to the Spurs' meeting KMart in the playoffs again. Especially if he is a Mav.

leemajors
07-25-2006, 07:34 AM
so how does it compute that denver will be making out great if they make this trade and dallas will be making out terribly?

dont overrate yourself

because kenyon martin disappears when it matters in the playoffs. good luck!

1Parker1
07-25-2006, 08:19 AM
Mavs are having a pretty good offseason. Signing Croshere and now Devean George for some 3 point shooting threats, getting rid of KVH, Daniels, etc. They are quietly improving their roster. Though it does seem as someone else pointed out that they have about a million players under contract :lol

leemajors
07-25-2006, 09:29 AM
Mavs are having a pretty good offseason. Signing Croshere and now Devean George for some 3 point shooting threats, getting rid of KVH, Daniels, etc. They are quietly improving their roster. Though it does seem as someone else pointed out that they have about a million players under contract :lol

ehh, van horn was a better 3 point shooter than croshere or george. they lost a bit of versatility in daniels. should be an interesting mix at least.

G0D
07-25-2006, 09:33 AM
These Mavfans are not good at math and if they were basketball fans before last season they would know of what I speak. I refuse to spoon feed idiots who can bring anything better than weak homo smack. They can tell each other how different it will be pleasuring themselves to images of KMart than KVH.

I look forward to the Spurs' meeting KMart in the playoffs again. Especially if he is a Mav.

i dont get what your talking about. if they trade a max contract bust (Dampier) for a better player but yet another max contract bust (Martin) how is it a great deal for Denver?

JamStone
07-25-2006, 09:49 AM
I'm not defending ChumpDumper or his opinion, but some of you are real idiots because you cannot figure out what he's trying to say.

He first was asking why Dallas would acquire an overrated playoff bust of a player like Kenyon Martin, when they just let an overrated playoff bust of a player like Keith Van Horn. It was an independent thought that has nothing to do with Erick Dampier. In essence, why not re-sign Keith Van Horn if Dallas wants an often injured, choking playoff player, instead of acquiring Kenyon Martin.

Now, as for the actual trade, ChumpDumper said Denver would get a great deal because he believes that Denver gives up an overrated, often injured, max paid player like Kenyon Martin for an overrated and overpaid player like Erick Dampier. Intimations are that ChumpDumper would prefer Dampier because at least Dampier stays healthy and you don't expect "greatness" from him even though he gets paid a lot. With Kenyon Martin, you still expect him to be great, when he rarely is. And, even when he plays great, sooner or later, he'll choke or get injured.

Some of you need to improve your reading comprehension. What ChumpDumper was saying wasn't all that hard to follow. If you couldn't, you just weren't making logical conclusions or reading between the lines, or you are unable to separate two independent thoughts.

mabber
07-25-2006, 09:59 AM
Dampier is only as good as his backup.

Great deal for Denver.

I can't see the Mavs doing this.

2Cleva
07-25-2006, 10:17 AM
because kenyon martin disappears when it matters in the playoffs. good luck!

Actually, K-Mart had some pretty big Finals games for New Jersey. He had trouble against SA one game after having the flu but besides that - he was pretty good.

G0D
07-25-2006, 11:33 AM
I'm not defending ChumpDumper or his opinion, but some of you are real idiots because you cannot figure out what he's trying to say.

He first was asking why Dallas would acquire an overrated playoff bust of a player like Kenyon Martin, when they just let an overrated playoff bust of a player like Keith Van Horn. It was an independent thought that has nothing to do with Erick Dampier. In essence, why not re-sign Keith Van Horn if Dallas wants an often injured, choking playoff player, instead of acquiring Kenyon Martin.

Now, as for the actual trade, ChumpDumper said Denver would get a great deal because he believes that Denver gives up an overrated, often injured, max paid player like Kenyon Martin for an overrated and overpaid player like Erick Dampier. Intimations are that ChumpDumper would prefer Dampier because at least Dampier stays healthy and you don't expect "greatness" from him even though he gets paid a lot. With Kenyon Martin, you still expect him to be great, when he rarely is. And, even when he plays great, sooner or later, he'll choke or get injured.

Some of you need to improve your reading comprehension. What ChumpDumper was saying wasn't all that hard to follow. If you couldn't, you just weren't making logical conclusions or reading between the lines, or you are unable to separate two independent thoughts.

i like how you explained it better and that's not hard to understand at all. Chumpdumper just spent his time insulting Mavs fans, while you actually explained the sense that was behind it. big difference between the two

Please_dont_ban_me
07-25-2006, 11:36 AM

KVH and KMart bring two totally different games to the table.

ponky
07-25-2006, 11:39 AM
ChumpDumper writes in a pompous, sarcastic manner and often, it only serves to make him look like a big dildo using stupid phrases like "of what I speak," and other such antiquated garbage...BUT, c'mon mavs fans, he's right this time, just admit that you didn't read his post carefully and be done with it. If anything, despite his stupid sarcastic remarks that aren't witty, he knows basketball and the league very well but his hatred of Mavs fans often gets the better of him so he can't resist acting like an ________. It's stupid that this thread was originally about the George acquisition (YAY!) and has turned into some stupid discussion about a silly, unsubstantiated rumor concerning K-Mart and Damp. Personally, I'd hate to see that idiot K-Mart on the Mavs team but MOST rumors fall through and you'd know that if you follow the media outlets covering basketball.

leemajors
07-25-2006, 11:45 AM
sounds like ponky needs a big dildo.

ponky
07-25-2006, 11:46 AM
i like how you explained it better and that's not hard to understand at all. Chumpdumper just spent his time insulting Mavs fans, while you actually explained the sense that was behind it. big difference between the two

He did a good job but didn't entirely comprehend it himself, left out some of what ChumpDumper was trying to clearly get across, but whatever, I'm not here to defend DumpyChump.

ponky
07-25-2006, 11:47 AM
sounds like ponky needs a big dildo.

...and Mavs fans are the ones who talk "weak homo smack," to use the words of DumpyChump

leemajors
07-25-2006, 12:07 PM
...and Mavs fans are the ones who talk "weak homo smack," to use the words of DumpyChump

what's homo about a dildo? straight people use them often.

Supergirl
07-25-2006, 12:17 PM
Devean is a good pick up.

I will laugh my ass off if they trade Dampier for KMart. Dampier sucks 60% of the time, but K-Mart sucks more and is injured the rest of the time.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-25-2006, 12:20 PM
Kmart > Dampier

That said, having a shitty contract doesn't justify getting a shittier contract. Though it's marginally more shitty...so I guess that makes it better? Is it less more enough to make it worth getting a better player? :lol

+Kmart
+Dirk
+Howard
+Harris
+Terry

Not too shabby. Seems like they'll stick to the Harris/Terry backcourt since they got Anthony Johnson...he'll probably be the primary PG off the bench?

JamStone
07-25-2006, 01:38 PM
KVH and KMart bring two totally different games to the table.

I wasn't defending ChumpDumper's opinion, nor agreeing with it. I just explained what I interpreted what he meant based on what he said and what I think he was getting at.

Mavs_man_41
07-25-2006, 03:06 PM
I think as long as K-Mart doesnt mess up the chemistry then it would be a good trade. Anything to get rid of Dampier.

ChumpDumper
07-25-2006, 03:11 PM
:lmao

Pistonfan has much more patience than I.

And ponky, I really don't hate the Mavs, just their idiot bandwagon fans who can't add and don't have the guts to spell out their insults, just writing _____.

G0D
07-25-2006, 03:22 PM

And ponky, I really don't hate the Mavs, just their idiot bandwagon fans who can't add and don't have the guts to spell out their insults, just writing _____.

no they arent really very smart.

Sportcamper
07-25-2006, 03:33 PM
1st Shaq, then D Fish, then Karl Malone & now Devean George... :depressed

pussyface
07-25-2006, 05:37 PM

WHAAAA....mavs fans dont know as much about basketball as me....WHAAAAA!!!

WHAAA...mavs fans call me gay....WHAAAA

ChumpDumper
07-25-2006, 05:40 PM
Mere statements of fact.

You certainly have given ample proof of the former and resorted to the latter out of impotent frustration.

pussyface
07-25-2006, 05:57 PM
...i said that you are "good at coming up with gay little quips that arent nearly as funny as you think they are." ...not really the same as just saying "shutup, your a homo" or something as you would like to portray it.

I know more about basketball and the nba than you do.

In conclusion, WHAAAA!!!

pussyface
07-25-2006, 05:58 PM
also, i suspect that I am better at playing basketball than you.

pussyface
07-25-2006, 06:00 PM
Mere statements of fact.

god you are a fucking tool. when you read over your posts do you think you come across as cool, in control, and intelligent?

if so, i disagree

did you get beaten up a lot in school? (honest question, not meaning to talk shit.)

ChumpDumper
07-25-2006, 06:02 PM
Wow, three in a row.

Really got under your skin, didn't I?

Hilarious.

mabber
07-25-2006, 06:07 PM
Wow, three in a row.

Really got under your skin, didn't I?

Hilarious.

I don't think he likes you :lol

pussyface
07-25-2006, 06:08 PM
you are the man.

JamStone
07-25-2006, 06:20 PM
also, i suspect that I am better at playing basketball than you.

Is your daddy stronger than his daddy too?

Want to measure and compare penises as well?

Do YOU read what you post?