PDA

View Full Version : Marion pulls out with knee injury...

AZLouis
07-24-2006, 10:33 PM
Marion not headed to Asia for World Basketball

By Andy Katz

ESPN.com

LAS VEGAS — Getting the USA Men's Senior National team roster down to a manageable number of 15 for the trip to Asia next month became a bit easier Monday when Shawn Marion pulled himself out because of a left knee injury.

Marion told ESPN.com after Monday's final training camp practice at UNLV's Cox Pavilion that he won't make the trip to Asia.

"I'm not going,'' said Marion, who played at UNLV for one season after transferring from Vincennes University (Ind.) before being drafted by the Phoenix Suns in 1999. "My knee has been bothering me a bit. I sat out the last two days of practice. I just came in here and got right into it. So, I'm going to check it out (Tuesday). I'll make sure there's nothing wrong with it, rest it and take care of it.''

The 15 players who likely will return on July 31 for exhibition games will be announced Tuesday morning at the Wynn Hotel. The Americans don't have to submit a final roster of 12 players until 24 hours before the first game in Japan on Aug. 19, according to USA spokesperson Craig Miller.

Marion's departure trims the roster down to 17 leaving two more possible cuts, who likely will be Seattle point guard Luke Ridnour and Gonzaga forward and Charlotte Bobcats first-round draft pick Adam Morrison. That means the 15 players likely to travel to Asia are: Carmelo Anthony, Gilbert Arenas, Shane Battier, Chris Bosh, Bruce Bowen, Elton Brand, Dwight Howard, LeBron James, Antawn Jamison, Joe Johnson, Brad Miller, Chris Paul, Amare Stoudemire, Dwyane Wade and Kirk Hinrich. The coaching staff will meet Tuesday morning before the news conference to make the final call. Ridnour and Morrioson are up against veteran options.

Morrison's coach, Gonzaga's Mark Few, was in attendance and said Morrison knew going in he would have a hard time making the squad.

Ridnour told ESPN.com that while he hadn't been told he definitely wouldn't be going to Asia, he anticipates he'll receive the news.

"I'm here for the experience and if it doesn't happen this summer then I've got two more years,'' Ridnour said. "When they called me during the season they told me that there were a lot of veterans and it would be tough to make it. But I've got a bright future, and I'm excited about it.''

Ridnour is caught in a logjam at point. Chris Paul of New Orleans/Oklahoma City is expected to compete for starter's minutes and USA coach Mike Krzyzewski of Duke also talked about Chicago's Kirk Hinrich's ability to pressure the ball and finals MVP Dwyane Wade's ability to handle the ball.

Krzyzewski didn't rule out using younger talent, though.

"You don't want to use gold for bathroom fixtures," Krzyzewski said. "You want to use your natural resources, as well. Not to put down those other guys, but we'd rather it not be Dwyane. Joe Johnson could also play there, so we have some flexibility.''

Hinrich sat out half of Monday's practice but said he could have played if pressed. He said he had some tightness in his left leg behind his knee but anticipated he was going to make the final 15.

"They're just being cautious,'' Hinrich said.

So, the numbers are stacked against Ridnour. Marion's injury means Washington forward Jamison is safe, for now, as is Sacramento's Miller and Houston forward Battier.

The Americans are slated to have 15 players available on the roster for an exhibition against Puerto Rico at the Thomas & Mack Center on Aug. 3, and then games against China and Brazil in Guangzhou, China, Aug. 7-8; training in Hong Kong, Aug. 9-11, the World Basketball Challenge in Seoul, South Korea against Lithuania and Korea Aug. 13 and 15 before the FIBA World Championships Aug. 19-Sept. 3 in Saitama, Japan.

"The beauty of a fluid roster is that it covers a lot of different things that happen like injuries,'' Krzyzewski said. Asked about the number 15, Krzyzewski said he's not married to that or any number of players. "It's not a magic 15 or 14 or 16. We don't want to place ourselves in a position where we have to call on somebody (from Asia).''

Players who don't make the trip aren't being cut from the overall national team program, which is a three-year commitment..

"The process (of picking the team) was great,'' Marion said. "Everybody feels a part of the family for all three years. If I'm not there, I'll still feel like I'm there cheering them on.''