PDA

View Full Version : What do Jayson Williams and Dwayne Schintzius have in common? (Holy Crap!)

Useruser666
10-20-2004, 04:52 PM
Jayson's local SPCA in doghouse over pet-shooting

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

NEWARK — The New Jersey Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals has told its Hunterdon County chapter to close, citing its failure to prosecute former NBA star Jayson Williams on charges he shot and killed his dog after losing a bet.

The president of the state group, Stuart Rhodes, also noted that the chapter accepted a $500 donation from Williams two weeks after the shooting, which a Williams house guest said happened in August 2001 at the Williams mansion in Alexandria, Hunterdon County.

The executive director of the Hunterdon SPCA, Tee Carlson, told The Star-Ledger of Newark in Saturday’s newspapers that the order to close is being reviewed by the group’s lawyer. A message left with Carlson on Monday seeking comment was not immediately returned.

The shooting allegation and donation came to light early this year during jury selection for Williams’ manslaughter trial. In New Jersey, as in some other states, the SPCA is vested with legal power to investigate and prosecute animal cruelty charges.

Williams, 36, was found guilty in April of covering up the fatal shooting of a hired driver at Williams’ Alexandria Township mansion in February 2002. He was acquitted of aggravated manslaughter, but the jury deadlocked on a reckless manslaughter count and Williams is scheduled to be retried in January.

In July, the state group charged Williams with animal cruelty. A hearing has been delayed until after manslaughter charges against Williams are resolved. Because the one-year statute of limitations on criminal charges in the dog shooting incident had expired, the SPCA filed civil charges, which carry a maximum fine of $250.

State president Stuart Rhodes said Carlson has been unable to explain why the county group took no action.

Court papers in the manslaughter case made public in February showed that former Nets player Dwayne Schintzius told investigators that Williams bet him $100 that Schintzius could not drag Williams’ Rottweiler, Zeus, out of his house. Schintzius said he won the bet, at which point Williams went inside, returned with a shotgun and fired twice, killing the dog.

Schintzius told investigators that Williams later pointed the gun at him and told him to clean up the dog’s remains “or you’re next.”

Williams’ defense denied the charge. The trial judge barred the information from being heard by the jury, ruling it was too inflammatory.

Originally published on October 11, 2004

Jayson Williams is TOTALLY NUTS!!! Even if that's only 1/10th true!

Kori Ellis
10-20-2004, 04:54 PM
Umm.. this has been in the news for years.

Useruser666
10-20-2004, 04:59 PM
Kori, only you know the best way to rain on my parade. :cry

Kori Ellis
10-20-2004, 05:06 PM
Sorry I didn't mean to rain. Do you want me to delete my post? :lol

2pac
10-20-2004, 08:13 PM
They both killed a man in Reno, just to watch him die.

Useruser666
10-21-2004, 11:22 AM
Just look into this flashy thing right here!

http://www.neweyestudio.com/ebe437.jpg