PDA

View Full Version : New Computer Help

SequSpur
07-24-2006, 11:22 PM
Yep.. I finally blew up the P3 500 and it was time for a new one. I just finished settin this sucka up. E Machine from Best Buy. Frickin lightning speed, awesome keyboard, sleek, and cool as heck.

I have a few questions because its been 5 years since I've had to transfer data.

I have a bunch of emails in outlook express on my old hard drive so how do I transfer them? Also, I had serious contacts that need to be transferred as well.

I know how to hook up the drive as a slave and transfer data, music, etc., but how do I do this email transfer? I already have the new outlook setup.

Any useful help would be greatly appreciated.

:fro

MannyIsGod
07-24-2006, 11:49 PM
I would forward those emails to another address of yours then forward them back. I'm not completely sure how you can transfer emails and have them show up in your inbox any other way.

I forgot that you had a Best Buy hookup. I bought my computer a few weeks back at Best Buy for about 400. I almost got an eMachine, but I saw a Presario with a bunch of other shit for less than 70 more.

SequSpur
07-24-2006, 11:55 PM
Well, the only problem with forwarding those emails is the harddrive is sitting on my desk :)

Can I hook it up and run outlook express from there?

MannyIsGod
07-24-2006, 11:57 PM
Probably not. Do you delete the emails off your server when you get them? If not then when you hookup OE then it'll get all of your old emails off the server again.

Otherwise I'm not familliar how OE stores the files on your hard drive and how you would access them. Hopefully someone else can help you out with that.

SequSpur
07-24-2006, 11:59 PM
I have alot of emails from my previous gig which are important for future use if needed. I need to keep them for a few years, plus, my contact list was huge.

SequSpur
07-25-2006, 12:17 AM
family member....

SequSpur
07-25-2006, 12:22 AM
I am not sure, there is no set discount. I haven't really used it. I saved 15 dollars on this computer.

missmyzte
07-25-2006, 12:32 AM
what type of discount is it? 15%?
It's not a set discount. And good choice purchasing it at BBY :)

Borosai
07-25-2006, 12:41 AM
Before, when I used Outlook and wanted to save e-mails to re-load them after doing a fresh install, all I did was select them all in the e-mail list (right in Outlook's inbox) and copy/paste them to a backup folder, then drag-n-drop them back into the Outlook once I had completed the installation. If I remember correctly, all of the e-mails are stored as individual files in a hidden folder under the Documents and Settings folder (or whatever it is named). I'm sure it's not hard to find...just make sure that the SHOW HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDERS option is enabled under Folder Options, and you should be able to search around and find them all. Once you do, just drag and drop and they should all be there...at least I hope.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-25-2006, 12:45 AM
I don't think employees get much of a deal at all on computers at Best Buy.

dougp
07-25-2006, 08:19 AM
Not sure how technical you are sequ, but here

http://www.iopus.com/guides/oe-backup.htm

Or a program, not sure how good it is ... http://www.amicutilities.com/outlook-express-backup/

TDMVPDPOY
07-25-2006, 08:40 AM
why dont u just get one custom build out of a box

those new pentium duo cores from intel > amd in performance wise, but amd has slashed like up to 42% of their lineup of cpus.

Notorious H.O.P.
07-25-2006, 09:40 AM
Unless you want a very specific setup in terms of video card or sound card, getting a pre-configured one from a PC manufacturer is a lot less expensive.

That's why you don't see regular guys with PC building businesses anymore. The cost of components got too high so it is too much of an effort and hassle for the slim profit margin you might make, especially if you have to warranty your work.

When Manny was looking for a PC, he went pre-built despite having built previous computers. It just doesn't make sense anymore.

Sequ, I'm assuming you're going to use Outlook on your new PC. Otherwise you can just copy the mail files onto your new PC and point your OE client to them or import them (File > Import) into the new client. Even if you're using Outlook, your PC should still have a copy of Outlook Express on it in case it becomes more complicated and you have to export your old info and then re-import. If your PC doesn't have OE and you need it, upgrade to the latest version of IE (not the beta 7 which sucks) and it will include the OE install (not Old English). The PC can hold seperate email configurations for Outlook and OE.

Setup your old drive in the PC (you might run into issues with SATA and IDE connections for the drives). Instead of going for an immediate re-connection of the new OE client to the old mail stores, I'd open up Outlook or Outlook Express and try to run the Import function and point to the data on your old drive.

If this isn't working for you, you might have to re-setup your OE on your new PC and point it to the location of your mail and address book files. You could also drop the files into the same locations on your new drive.

When you are able to open your email and contacts, go to file and export the information. Once you have the exported file, you should be able to import into your new configuration.

If this is confusing, you should sit down, lift your right foot and move it in clockwise circles. Next, while maintaining your foot motion, hold your right hand in front of you and "write" the number 6 in the air a few times. It should all become clear in a few moments.

Slomo
07-25-2006, 10:02 AM
I don't know how it works in Outlook Express, but in Outlook you can export all the mails into a file and then import that file into Outlook in your new setup.

You do know that Outlook Express is a piece of junk right?

You can import OE mails and contacts into Thunderbird (made by the firefox people) which is free and a very good e-mail client.

ShoogarBear
07-25-2006, 10:49 AM
Yeah, I agree with ditching the Outlook Express, if at all possible.

I think the most straightforward way it to convert Outlook Express to Outlook, and then export the file as Slomo suggested.

orhe
07-25-2006, 10:54 AM
remove the cable of your CD drive and hook the hard disk in... try transferring the files from there.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-25-2006, 11:01 AM
A straight file transfer won't work, his new computer won't know how to look for the data.

You're stuck doing the export out of Outlook Express.

Once you do that, I would do as others have suggested. Download Thunderbird and import your mail into that program, Outlook Express sucks.

ShoogarBear
07-25-2006, 11:04 AM
There are some commerical programs you can buy that are supposed to help with migrating files and settings from one computer to another. I tried using one once and was unimpressed.

Sportcamper
07-25-2006, 04:09 PM
Best Buy is Americas #1 source for electronics, televisions, DVD players, home audio, car audio, computers, cameras, music, movies, software, games and more... :elephant

Why not just pay one of those Geek Squad kids to come over your house & set the whole Magilla up for you... :smokin

tlongII
07-25-2006, 04:12 PM
You must manually recreate each email on your new PC by utilizing your magnificent typing skills.

dougp
07-25-2006, 04:50 PM
Best Buy is Americas #1 source for electronics, televisions, DVD players, home audio, car audio, computers, cameras, music, movies, software, games and more... :elephant

Why not just pay one of those Geek Squad kids to come over your house & set the whole Magilla up for you... :smokin
Because they're the biggest waste of air in America, more so than obese people who choose not to do anything about their condition.

Sportcamper
07-25-2006, 05:00 PM
You sound angry & prejudice! I suppose you have something against smokers also?

http://img.timeinc.net/golfonline/images/2005/07/daly.jpg