PDA

View Full Version : Predictions, wins, Div, playoffs...

Mavs<Spurs
07-25-2006, 12:31 AM
From what I have read recently, many people seem to believe that we will not be an elite team next year. In fact, a number of Spurs fans appear to believe that Mavs > Spurs.

Suppose neither team makes any more big moves. What are your predictions?

How many wins will the Spurs have? Will we win the division (which would seem to mean that we win the Conference barring a surprise from Phoenix or the Clips)? How far will we go in the playoffs?

I am not as confident as I was last time going into the regular season, but that's not a surprise (after winning it all and getting Michael Finley). I wouldn't say that we are a clear cut favorite in the West.

However, I do disagree with those who would remove us out of the group of elite teams and say that Dallas > Spurs. Perhaps Dallas = Spurs.

Remember, we won in 05 with Nazr and Rasho. From what you all have said, Elson + Butler = Nazr + Rasho.

I also believe that Tim's plantar fascitis and Manu's persistent injuries last season were the primary reason we did not win it all. Tim was not completely healed from it in the playoffs. Moreover, it had to affect his conditioning. Further, Tim's pf affected how the Spurs played during the regular season. As a result, we became accustomed to a less dominant Tim Duncan and got used to playing a different type of basketball, one dominated by Tony Parker. Even in the playoffs, Manu was not himself. He was very inconsistent.

Without those injuries during the regular season, I believe that we would have repeated. A healthy Tim Duncan and a healthy Manu + Tony is good enough to beat Dallas in my view. We beat Dallas before without a long 3.

A long 3 plays when? Is it in place of Bruce and Manu? Does this person replace Michael? How many minutes? How much money? How much benefit? Does Tim play center + long 3 + Bruce + Manu + Tony? Is this really a good lineup for us?

Rasho and Nazr didn't play much because they played so badly and Pop didn't trust them enough to play them. If Elson or Butler play decently, that probably won't happen again. Besides from what I am reading, Elson is quick enough to stay on the floor against the Mavs and the Suns.

I would trade Beno, Oberto and Barry for a good long 3 if we could get such a person. However, I don't feel that it is an insuperable obstacle to us beating Dallas if we can't (look at how close the series was). Moreover, such an acquisition presents difficulties (playing time, who doesn't play of Bruce, Manu and Michael, cost, availability).

I am not saying that we are clear favorites. But to me (and maybe just because I am a Spurs fan), I think that having a healthy Tim Duncan (who has won 3 Finals MVPs and 2 regular season MVPs) and a healthy Manu with Tony makes us a favorite against Dallas or anybody else. That's my perspective. I could be completely wrong, but it is my opinion.

I say that we win 55 games next year. I pick Dallas to win the division. I will go out on a limb and pick us to win it all this year. There are a lot of good teams this coming year, but all of them are teams that we can beat. Chicago will be the favorite out of the East along with the Cavs and the Heat. Chicago will probably get to the Finals. I pick us to beat them in a tough, close series.

Mavs<Spurs
07-25-2006, 12:35 AM
BTW, next June I may freely quote from this and point out how much people underestimated Tim Duncan and what having a healthy Tim Duncan means to the Spurs and what it means to the rest of the NBA.

:elephant :elephant :elephant

Mavs<Spurs
07-25-2006, 12:36 AM
Go Spurs!!!

:elephant :elephant :elephant

GrandeDavid
07-25-2006, 09:09 AM
I think that anyone who would discredit the Spurs as an elite team next season knows next to nothing about NBA basketball. Tim, Manu and Tony, alone, are good for almost 60 wins. Bowen shows no signs of slowing and I think this old bench crap is slightly overrated. Not entirely, mind you, but slightly. The Spurs proved just two months ago that they can run like hell, and while they need to improve their rebounding if at all possible, if they stay healthy there's no reason why they should not win their division again and win the championship. They were a couple of Manu gaffes away from overcoming a 1-3 deficit to Dallas, were hurt by some suspect calls from the zebras.

Everybody in doubt, please chill.

Oh, and DO NOT discount the hunger factor. You can bet your ass come playoff time next season this team, especially Manu in wanting to atone for last playoffs' mistakes and Finley as well, will be hungry. Also, the Spurs tend to always perform better when they fly a bit under the radar. So let the unknowing talking heads overlook the Spurs. Believe me, its a blessing, actually.

johngateswhiteley
07-25-2006, 09:19 AM
Spurs 64 wins
Dallas 62 wins
Phoenix 63 wins (Amare healthy)

...Spurs retain homecourt and win the division. i don't like that many of the moves the mavs have made and i think the Spurs, contrary to some morons on this board, have done quite well. Plus, i think the Spurs make another move.

GrandeDavid
07-25-2006, 09:36 AM
The Spurs have depth, versatility, experience and a championship pedigree. They'll be more than fine next season.

SAGambler
07-25-2006, 10:34 AM
Barring injuries, I don't see the Spurs winning any less than 60.
The playoffs could be a bitch, but if the Spurs can come out on top of the Western Conference, I don't see any big moves in the East that would prevent them from bringing home another trophy.

Last year I was excited when we got Fin and NVE. Then Nick turned out to be a bust. So half of that duo didn't show up. This year I am more exicited that we got rid of "my hands are made of stone, Nazr". Rasho was 50/50 as far as I was concerned. Some games I though Rasho played great and other games I wondered who in the hell was that guy posing as our center.

I think maybe the new blood will help us by the end of regular season. Meanwhile, as long as the Big 3 continue to do what we know the Big 3 are capable of, a 60 win season should be there for the taking.

I think the Spurs, the Mavs, and the Suns along with maybe the Clips are going to be the Big Dogs in the West. Come playoff time, Butler needs to be ready to step up and become what I think he capable of becoming.

I also look for maybe a bit more tweaking via a trade or two during the season.

But anyone that has written the Spurs off needs to have their head examined.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-25-2006, 11:58 AM
I think the Spurs are more comfortable not going into the season as the favorites.

It's an odd-numbered year, so based on recent history I'd say there is a 75% chance of us winning the title.

mabber
07-25-2006, 12:12 PM
I think whoever is the healthiest come playoff time between the Spurs, Mavs and possibly the Suns wins the west. After that, they will probably have to deal with the Heat. If Shaq is healthy and playing well then the Heat can win again.

lotr1trekkie
07-25-2006, 12:30 PM
undefined
undefined
We lost Van Exel, Rasho, Nazr and Marks----total zero contributions vs the Geldings
We've added Bonner, Butler, Elson, Vaughn and Williams

Even if we don't make another move [still possible] we are a much better/younger team in the era of small ball.

Elson starts: when Tim comes out Butler provides an inside presence for our outside shooters. Williams spots Bowens, Bonner spots Horry and Vaughn spots Beno when we need a more athletic defender. Butler/Elson might even play together since they have Mr. inside/outside games.

Once again the powers that be have blessed us. None of the guys we originally wanted would have worked out as well as Elson/Butler. Larry Brown was probably on the phone with Pop an hour after IT fired him---telling him that Butler had great potential and was coachable. His HS coach is in SA now. Good Karma! I have no doubt that IT tried to convince SA to take either James or Curry off his hands so than he could keep Butler. Larry Brown is flacky but if he wanted Butler on the floor in the 4th quarter, Spurs fans should feel good about it. 21 years old i.e. a college senior with 3 years to improve.
We now have roster that can either run and gun or grind it out. I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE SEASON TO BEGIN!!!

clambake
07-25-2006, 12:40 PM
Yeah, but if Tim goes down, who gets the minutes?

Who makes the most of those minutes?

mabber
07-25-2006, 12:45 PM
Yeah, but if Tim goes down, who gets the minutes?

Who makes the most of those minutes?

If Duncan goes down they're screwed...just like if Dirk goes down for the Mavs they're screwed. What's your point?

picnroll
07-25-2006, 12:49 PM
If Duncan goes down Spurs get Oden.

Rogbok
07-25-2006, 12:49 PM
I predict the spurs win at least 60 during the regular season. It may or may not be enough for the number 1 seed, but I also feel they will bring us another championship.

clambake
07-25-2006, 12:50 PM
I'm not that convinced that mavs are screwed if dirk goes down.

Remember, mavs screwed themselves with dirk in the game.

Tim is clutch. Dirk is not.

I'm looking forward to seeing this new mavs lineup.

beirmeistr
07-25-2006, 01:33 PM
I feel good about the coming season for the following reasons:
1. the Spurs are the most playoff-experienced team in the league
2. Timmy will start the season healthy
3. manu will be healthier than last year's start. (don't know how much healthier because in the playoffs he still did not have the lift he had in the 2005 playoffs)
4.Finley will be dangerous all season long--he is starting to get comfortable in the system
5. Parker will be lightning quick again
6. the Spurs will have the experience of having watched Miami deal with the "all-powerful Dallas mavericks"
7. the new center, Elson, appears to be a racehorse, so he should not be on the bench when the Spurs play the run-and-gun teams
8. Oberto and Beno should improve---Oberto because he has 1 year's experience in the NBA and Beno because he will not be operating in Van Exel's shadow
9. I think Horry will report in better shape and will not have to do as many minutes as last year because Bonner should do a similar job as Horry on offense (except crunch time when Horry is at his best)
10. this kid Butler could develop into a beast under the basket

mabber
07-25-2006, 02:00 PM
I'm not that convinced that mavs are screwed if dirk goes down.

Remember, mavs screwed themselves with dirk in the game.

Tim is clutch. Dirk is not.

I'm looking forward to seeing this new mavs lineup.

Mavs could probably play fairly well in the regular season w/o Dirk for a stretch because of their depth, but they would have no chance in the playoffs w/o him. He creates too many mismatches. The Mavs would be a much easier team to defend w/o him just like the Spurs would be w/o Duncan.

mabber
07-25-2006, 02:01 PM
I feel good about the coming season for the following reasons:
1. the Spurs are the most playoff-experienced team in the league
2. Timmy will start the season healthy
3. manu will be healthier than last year's start. (don't know how much healthier because in the playoffs he still did not have the lift he had in the 2005 playoffs)
4.Finley will be dangerous all season long--he is starting to get comfortable in the system
5. Parker will be lightning quick again
6. the Spurs will have the experience of having watched Miami deal with the "all-powerful Dallas mavericks"
7. the new center, Elson, appears to be a racehorse, so he should not be on the bench when the Spurs play the run-and-gun teams
8. Oberto and Beno should improve---Oberto because he has 1 year's experience in the NBA and Beno because he will not be operating in Van Exel's shadow
9. I think Horry will report in better shape and will not have to do as many minutes as last year because Bonner should do a similar job as Horry on offense (except crunch time when Horry is at his best)
10. this kid Butler could develop into a beast under the basket

Now there's the ultimate optimist. I like that.

Buddy Holly
07-25-2006, 02:05 PM
Spurs win 62 lose 20.

Spues win the southwest.

Spurs win the title.

Dalhoop
07-25-2006, 08:00 PM
I don't think that anyone in the West will win 60 games this coming year. The other teams have improved (Sac, NOH and Houston should be far better ... for different reasons)

Mavs 59-23
Spurs 58-24
Suns 55-27
Clippers 55-27

Spurs and Suns in the second round. Mavs and Clippers on the otherside. Should be fun to watch.

Leetonidas
07-25-2006, 09:29 PM
The Spurs are one good move away from becoming a huge force. All we need is that SF...

thekingrobert
07-25-2006, 10:36 PM
personally if barry gets traded i hope its for a really good 3 point shooter cause we need another or he should be 3 pg not friggin i cant even say it

Dre_7
07-26-2006, 12:46 AM
Dont know how the regular season will go. Spurs will get anywhere from the number 1-4 seed, depending on Dallas and PHX. But with a healthy Duncan and Manu, SA wins back the NBA Crown. Belie dat!

Mavs_man_41
07-26-2006, 12:56 AM
Dallas 62 wins
Phoenix 60
Spurs 55 wins

Im not sure the suns will be as good as everyone is saying, simply because most athletes are never the same after microfracture surgery(Amare Stoudamire). They should be better than last year even with a not 100% amare but still not as good as they are expected to be. The spurs did nothing so far this offseason to prove to me they will be as good as they have been in the past. All the spurs have done is replace 3rd rate players with more 3rd rate players. The mavericks are the only team out of all the elite western conference teams to make significant moves this offseason. The additions of Anthony Johnson, Greg Buckner, Devean George, Austin Croshere, and Maurice Ager make one of the deepest benches in the league even deeper. I also think they clippers may surprise alot of people and Golden State should make the playoffs if everyone stays healthy.

TDMVPDPOY
07-26-2006, 02:05 AM
spurs ftw

Mavs_man_41
07-26-2006, 03:05 AM
spurs ftw

u mean spurs 4tw? thats the only way ive seen it written.

lotr1trekkie
07-26-2006, 10:58 AM
undefined

Cuban is going for the gold by retooling his team but a deep bench is worthless if they can't maintain a lead while the #1 star is resting. Dirk always seemed to fade in the 4th quarter except when the refs sent him to the foul line every other minute. IMO we have 3 players who can take over a game--Dallas has one. With our adds Bowens will smother Terry because someone else will cover Dirk. Quite frankly all the Mavs adds have never been down the playoff road too far & Avery will be forced to run his starters into the ground. The Heat had only elite 2 players and beat them. Adding guys who expect playing time but down get it might implode the Mavs. The Spurs will have well defined roles and have smooth locker room. How does shawn Marion feel about Amare making the cut? How will he like giving up shots to Amare? It's all about TEAM & we have it and all the other need to prove that they can. As our Olympic team proved-- having the best 12 players is not enough.

An athletic, young swingman would be nice--next year.
Who's minutes would he take this season?
Finally, I agree with whoever posted that 60+ wins will be hard next season.
I don't believe anyone in the West will got to 60 wins.
Keep ther Faith!!!!!!!!!

mathbzh
07-26-2006, 11:07 AM
It's all about TEAM & we have it and all the other need to prove that they can.

And that is why I think Phoenix will be a real threat in the west. Because Nash and Diaw should be perfect to create shot for Amare/Marion.