PDA

View Full Version : George to sign with Mav

intlspurshk
07-25-2006, 05:35 AM
WTF??? SPURS need to counter this move. :madrun

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/41649/20060725/george_working_out_details_with_mavericks/

SpursWillOwn
07-25-2006, 05:39 AM
hahahaha i hate his face.. he had a slut face in 2004 playoffs when he couldn't miss a three in game 5

George Gervin's Afro
07-25-2006, 07:14 AM
Ok all together now "Who cares?"

Doug Collins
07-25-2006, 08:12 AM
Seriously George is a piece of shit, I welcome his presence on the Mavs if it takes shots away from any of their other players. The guy hasn't hit a jumpshot in over 2 years and isn't a great defender, so I say good luck with that.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-25-2006, 08:24 AM
Well, remembering how much he cried about officiating when he played for the Lakers, and seeing how much Dirk and Cuban cried in the playoffs, he'll fit right in.

furry_spurry
07-25-2006, 08:34 AM
For the minimum, I'd sign him.

SpursWillOwn
07-25-2006, 08:41 AM
do you see him in pop's favour? even for the minimum?

BigVee
07-25-2006, 09:19 AM
I have been watching him his whole career in LA. He wouldn't be on my team if he paid me. Has never hit a big shot in his life.

LEONARD
07-25-2006, 09:57 AM
I have been watching him his whole career in LA. He wouldn't be on my team if he paid me. Has never hit a big shot in his life.

it's a good thing the Mavs won't need him to TAKE a big shot...

SpursWillOwn
07-25-2006, 10:05 AM
so who would u want the big shot to be taken by? stackhouse? Mavs got no clutch players.. Mavs got crotch players..

TDMVPDPOY
07-25-2006, 10:05 AM
wtf gives a poo

Please_dont_ban_me
07-25-2006, 11:16 AM
In the NBA forum already...

Good move for us. He's Manu's bitch. :D

LEONARD
07-25-2006, 11:40 AM
so who would u want the big shot to be taken by? stackhouse? Mavs got no clutch players.. Mavs got crotch players..

:rolleyes

Then I suppose crotch players > Spurs players...

Terry
Dirk
Stack

is fine with me at the end of a game...

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-25-2006, 11:54 AM
:rolleyes

Then I suppose crotch players > Spurs players...

Terry
Dirk
Stack

is fine with me at the end of a game...

Yeah, Dirk was money on those late game free throws in the Finals.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-25-2006, 12:01 PM
3-0 Mavs fans. 3-0.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-25-2006, 12:02 PM
How are those parade plans coming along, Dallas?

mabber
07-25-2006, 12:06 PM
Seriously George is a piece of shit, I welcome his presence on the Mavs if it takes shots away from any of their other players. The guy hasn't hit a jumpshot in over 2 years and isn't a great defender, so I say good luck with that.

He's the 11th or 12th man for the Mavs...like he's going to take shots away from players...give me a friggin break :lol

alamo50
07-25-2006, 12:14 PM
Wow, nice signing by them Mavs.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-25-2006, 12:15 PM
Meanwhile Peter the Pennypincher is cheapskating this franchise into ruin! We're doomed! Just ask around the league. People who know basketball know that George was the driving force behind the Lakers greatness in years past. He was a locker room leader second only to Travis Knight.

MWILL
07-25-2006, 12:22 PM

For the league minimum D. George is a decent pick-up (if it's official).
I'd rather have Reggie Evans though.

I just think alot of Spur fans are a little fustrated because, of the offseson moves the Mavs has made. Let's face it, in the offseason Dallas did improve thier team with the 1st rd Draft Pick & they filled their bench with good role players. The Spurs didn't do much, though I think Elson is a good pick-up.

LEONARD
07-25-2006, 12:23 PM
Yeah, Dirk was money on those late game free throws in the Finals.

Faulting Dirk for his FT shooting is funny, especially coming from a Spurs fan...

8-8 in game 6
4-5 in game 5 (missed a FT late in the 4th, Howard missed 2 at the end of OT)
11-13 in game 4
10-12 in game 3 (with a huge miss at the end to tie)
10-11 in game 2
6-6 in game 1

49/55 for 89%...he had a couple untimely misses, but calling him a choker because of it a bit extreme. You can't make them all. Wade missed 2 at the end of game 6 that could've cost the Heat if Jet's 3 would've fallen...

Dirk made a huge clutch shot in game 5, but Wade's 2 FT's at the end made everybody forget about that. Also had a big assist at the end of OT in that game.

And he was money at the end of game 7 in SA (from the field and FT line)... :smokin and that's really all that matters... :lol

The entire team choked in the finals from Avery on down. If only Dirk could shoot FT's like the Spurs they would've won the title... :drunk

Back to the topic...George will NOT be counted on to hit "clutch" shots...

MWILL
07-25-2006, 12:26 PM

Glad u asked, the plans are going well for the 06-07 season.

BTW, In the Zone '98 sucks!! You deserve to be banned for liking that game. :lol

LEONARD
07-25-2006, 12:29 PM
3-0 Mavs fans. 3-0.

:lol

Thanks for the solid addition to the topic... :smokin

MWILL
07-25-2006, 12:42 PM
Meanwhile Peter the Pennypincher is cheapskating this franchise into ruin! We're doomed! Just ask around the league. People who know basketball know that George was the driving force behind the Lakers greatness in years past. He was a locker room leader second only to Travis Knight.

I don't think Peter is cheap. I just think he's not creative when it comes to the offseason.

Louis
07-25-2006, 12:44 PM
Hypocrits!!

If I'm not mistaken the spurs were interested in signing him not too long ago...

And btw the Mavs are going to the Finals again...

picnroll
07-25-2006, 12:46 PM
Nice to see the Mavs postponing Gumps minor European league travels.

LEONARD
07-25-2006, 12:56 PM
Good move for us. He's Manu's bitch. :D

When the Spurs were looking at him you said...

I'd take George at a good price.

$1.2M is a good price IMO...

LEONARD
07-25-2006, 12:57 PM
Hypocrits!! If I'm not mistaken the spurs were interested in signing him not too long ago...

Yep...

Devean George would fit in nicely with the Spurs. His length and athleticism along with his 3P shooting could help the Spurs big time. Talk about a player that could guard Dirk. His not going to be the savior for the Spurs or anything, but a nice role player he is. He has also got playoff experience.

George would give you a little size, a few boards and some range in your perimeter rotation. I wouldn't mind him on the bench.

I'd be comfortable with either George or Jumaine off the bench as a combo forward. Their games are similar. They have the shooting range of a SF, but better than SF rebounding numbers, per minute. Jones is a bit more athletic and a couple of years younger.

Either Jones OR George would be solid pickups IMO. Devean George played well under Phil Jackson's system play, and would do the same here. Also plays pretty darn good defense when healthy as well. Last resort if Jones, Jeffries, or others can't be had.

Devean George and Mbenga are what the Spurs could use, a true center an a long SF. So they are role players. Do you even know what a role player is?

I wouldn't mind having D George on the spurs. He was a key player in the faker's runs for three championship.

During that time he was able to:

1. Be athletic
2. hit the open shots and the three
3. Rebound well
4. Play decent D
5. Be clutch

The problem is all of that has taken hit but he's still good enough to be an effective role player.

Kori Ellis
07-25-2006, 12:58 PM

Spurs fans just got completely owned by Mavs fans.

:lmao

picnroll
07-25-2006, 12:59 PM
Gump is too dumb to be a Spur. He'd constantly screw up on defense like he always does and never get off the bench.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-25-2006, 01:11 PM
When the Spurs were looking at him you said...

$1.2M is a good price IMO...

A lot of people are Manu's bitch, though.

I said he'd be a good pick-up for the Spurs because he would fit in with this team, because it's similar to the structure of those Lakers teams. Emphasis on defense, multiple threats on offense...I'm not so sure how he'll fit in with Dallas.

That said, for cheap he's still a good pick-up for Dallas. Doesn't mean Manu won't rape him still. :D

Please_dont_ban_me
07-25-2006, 01:13 PM
Glad u asked, the plans are going well for the 06-07 season.

BTW, In the Zone '98 sucks!! You deserve to be banned for liking that game. :lol

Pfft, nigga please.

I owened in that game. Just stick shooters in the corners and get a quick guy that can penetrate. The open guy hit it every team. Watchu' know about dat.

The post moves werent' so great though. =/

mabber
07-25-2006, 01:19 PM
A lot of people are Manu's bitch, though.

I said he'd be a good pick-up for the Spurs because he would fit in with this team, because it's similar to the structure of those Lakers teams. Emphasis on defense, multiple threats on offense...I'm not so sure how he'll fit in with Dallas.

That said, for cheap he's still a good pick-up for Dallas. Doesn't mean Manu won't rape him still. :D

I would hope Manu could beat him. I can't envision a scenario (other than on a switch) where George would be guarding Manu though. Especially in the 10-12 minutes that George might get.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-25-2006, 01:21 PM
I would hope Manu could beat him. I can't envision a scenario (other than on a switch) where George would be guarding Manu though. Especially in the 10-12 minutes that George might get.

Wouldn't George and Fox alternate on Manu back in the Shaq/Kobe days?

George is an underrated player, but he NEEDS a big behind him who can swat shots.

LEONARD
07-25-2006, 01:25 PM

Exactly...saying that Manu torches him is pointless for the role he'll play for the Mavs...

Kori Ellis
07-25-2006, 01:26 PM
So are the Mavs actually trying to trade for Kenyon Martin?

MWILL
07-25-2006, 01:27 PM
I don't think so

MWILL
07-25-2006, 01:38 PM
Pfft, nigga please.

I owened in that game. Just stick shooters in the corners and get a quick guy that can penetrate. The open guy hit it every team. Watchu' know about dat.

The post moves werent' so great though. =/

You owened in that game cause you were the only person playing that easy piece of shit game. :lol

NBA Live
R.I.P.
94'-2000

NBA 2K: Born 2000-Present

ChumpDumper
07-25-2006, 01:39 PM
George is ok. He'll play for Dallas about as much as he would've for us. Not much.

J.T.
07-25-2006, 01:49 PM
Props to LEONARD for pwning the hypocrites. Good game, dude.

mabber
07-25-2006, 01:55 PM

I can think of too many reasons for them not to do this but ya never know.

I think they're about done for the offseason. They upgraded their backups and that was their goal.

cheguevara
07-25-2006, 01:57 PM
George should have retired after shaq left. He is a waste of bench space

LEONARD
07-25-2006, 01:58 PM

Hearing VERY little about it up here...very doubtful IMO...

:hat :fro

Buddy Holly
07-25-2006, 02:02 PM
George sucks... I would have personally shot Peter Holt or RC had they signed him for anything more than a big mac.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-25-2006, 02:04 PM
You owened in that game cause you were the only person playing that easy piece of shit game. :lol

NBA Live
R.I.P.
94'-2000

NBA 2K: Born 2000-Present

:(

Honestly, there isn't a basketball game out there I like. I could tolerate in the zone, but as far as sports games go I'm only a fan of Madden, MLB: The Show and Fifa (for some odd reason).

Please_dont_ban_me
07-25-2006, 02:05 PM

You're definition of 'hypocrite' varies from that of the dictionary.

George Gervin's Afro
07-25-2006, 02:23 PM
For the league minimum D. George is a decent pick-up (if it's official).
I'd rather have Reggie Evans though.

I just think alot of Spur fans are a little fustrated because, of the offseson moves the Mavs has made. Let's face it, in the offseason Dallas did improve thier team with the 1st rd Draft Pick & they filled their bench with good role players. The Spurs didn't do much, though I think Elson is a good pick-up.

frustrated with the Mavs? your kidding right? What exactly were the Spurs supposed to do? The Mavs blew their only shot at the championship.. and the Mav fans think we're worried?? :rollin

Please_dont_ban_me
07-25-2006, 02:23 PM
Anybody the Mavs bring in who will get Dirk/Terry off the floor is fine by me.

LEONARD
07-25-2006, 02:46 PM
frustrated with the Mavs? your kidding right? What exactly were the Spurs supposed to do? The Mavs blew their only shot at the championship.. and the Mav fans think we're worried?? :rollin

I'm curious to know why last season was the Mavs only shot??? :lol

G0D
07-25-2006, 02:50 PM
3-0 Mavs fans. 3-0.

um... saying that now will not help you guys any more. Mavs are focused on winning championships and the Spurs are falling behind. its time to face the truth. get your head out of the past (that's my job) and look to the future.

anyway, George is a good player. the 3rd best player on the Lakers this year. and he plays good defense. just cause he wont shut down manu doesnt mean its a bad pickup. thats how the spurs fans judge all these moves

George Gervin's Afro
07-25-2006, 02:51 PM
I'm curious to know why last season was the Mavs only shot??? :lol

Well I have taken the same liberty that mav fans have when they seem to think they dominated the Spurs last year. The same liberty they have taken to completely ignore how lucky they were to advance.. Oh and it is very difficult to repeat getting back to the finals.. The Mavs will not shoot 69% again for the first half nor will they be bailed out with a foul down by 3 with less than 30 seconds left.. see in order to win you need to very good and a little lucky.. the mavs had their luck last year and they blew it.. :lol

George Gervin's Afro
07-25-2006, 02:53 PM
um... saying that now will not help you guys any more. Mavs are focused on winning championships and the Spurs are falling behind. its time to face the truth. get your head out of the past (that's my job) and look to the future.

anyway, George is a good player. the 3rd best player on the Lakers this year. and he plays good defense. just cause he wont shut down manu doesnt mean its a bad pickup. thats how the spurs fans judge all these moves

May I ask where you have been the last 4 yrs? I'll let you in on a secret..get closer.. the Spurs have won 2 of the last 4 championships.. and the mavs have made the finals once.. Come on God you should know that.! So signing George helps them win championships?

T Park
07-25-2006, 02:53 PM
I'm curious to know why last season was the Mavs only shot???

They were the 05 06 version of the 93 94 Phoenix Suns.

G0D
07-25-2006, 02:57 PM
May I ask where you have been the last 4 yrs? I'll let you in on a secret..get closer.. the Spurs have won 2 of the last 4 championships.. and the mavs have made the finals once.. Come on God you should know that.!

i do realize that. the fact tho is that dallas is better than the Spurs right now. they had two 20 point wins last year over SA, the Spurs biggest margin was 9 points. Mavs are only getting better and deeper, while the spurs arent doing anything except getting older.

in your words the celtics are better because they have 16 to your 3. :lol

Mavs_man_41
07-25-2006, 03:01 PM
^ well said god. The Spurs fans are just jelous of all the offseason aquisitions we have made while their team is sitting on their asses and getting older.

furry_spurry
07-25-2006, 03:03 PM
It's a very good signing at the vet's minimum for a 28-year old 6'8" SF who has played in 75 play-off games. Just because he was on the Lakers and just because it's for Dallas does not mean it has to criticized.

George Gervin's Afro
07-25-2006, 03:03 PM
i do realize that. the fact tho is that dallas is better than the Spurs right now. they had two 20 point wins last year over SA, the Spurs biggest margin was 9 points. Mavs are only getting better and deeper, while the spurs arent doing anything except getting older.

in your words the celtics are better because they have 16 to your 3. :lol

so now the reg season is your indicator they are that much better? Has it been that long since the Celts won a title? why don't you look at the last game? the one that they shot 69% for the half? the one they got bailed out on with a foul with less than 30 seconds left? wouldn't that be a better indicator? younger? older? elson is 30 and butler is 21? bonner is 25? wouldn't they make us a deeper team?... so using your logic the mavs got older as well..maybe you should think before you post..and as franchise absolutley the celts have the spurs by 15 banners

ChumpDumper
07-25-2006, 03:05 PM
George is ok. Just ok. Nothing to really get jealous about.

George Gervin's Afro
07-25-2006, 03:05 PM
^ well said god. The Spurs fans are just jelous of all the offseason aquisitions we have made while their team is sitting on their asses and getting older.

yeah I know the Spurs have never been able to retool after losing to win a championship.. I mean the gall that Spurs fans to assume they can do it.. oh wait they have..twice...

please tell me who we should be jealous of... :rollin

Mavs_man_41
07-25-2006, 03:08 PM
yeah I know the Spurs have never been able to retool after losing to win a championship.. I mean the gall that Spurs fans to assume they can do it.. oh wait they have..twice...

Anthony Johnson, Austin Croshere, Maurice Ager, Greg Buckner, and now maybe Devean George are all solid pickups that are improvements on who we had coming off the bench last year. Our already deep bench just got alot deeper. Thats what u should be jealous of.

timvp
07-25-2006, 03:10 PM
As long as we are digging up old posts, here's what I had to say:

DGeorge is a scrub. He doesn't do much well. He'll hit the occasional three ball but that's about it. He's not that good of a rebounder and isn't quick enough to be a good defender. I wouldn't want him for anything more than a minimum contract.

Well, I guess the Mavs got him for that minimum contract. It's a decent signing. They get bonus points for signing another guy who usually plays better in the playoffs.

Especially against the Spurs :pctoss

1Parker1
07-25-2006, 03:11 PM
As long as we are digging up old posts, here's what I had to say:

Well, I guess the Mavs got him for that minimum contract. It's a decent signing. They get bonus points for signing another guy who usually plays better in the playoffs.

Especially against the Spurs :pctoss

:lol I was gonna say, doesn't George usually decide to start hitting those 3's when he plays the Spurs?

George Gervin's Afro
07-25-2006, 03:14 PM
Anthony Johnson, Austin Croshere, Maurice Ager, Greg Buckner, and now maybe Devean George are all solid pickups that are improvements on who we had coming off the bench last year. Our already deep bench just got alot deeper. Thats what u should be jealous of.

yawn... i thought you said i'd be jealous? I'm jealous of jessica alba's boyfriend... the mavs? not even close..

by the way how did that 'deep' bench do in the finals?

timvp
07-25-2006, 03:14 PM
:lol I was gonna say, doesn't George usually decide to start hitting those 3's when he plays the Spurs?

Pretty much. The only thing he's done in his career is bury the Spurs. When the Lakers were starting four Hall of Famers and George, it was George who liked to hit the dagger shots.

mabber
07-25-2006, 03:19 PM
Pretty much. The only thing he's done in his career is bury the Spurs. When the Lakers were starting four Hall of Famers and George, it was George who liked to hit the dagger shots.

Wasn't Rick Fox starting and George coming off the bench? Or was it George starting and Fox coming off the bench. I forget.

Man did I dislike Fox. He thought he was da bomb when all he was doing was riding the coat tails of great players.

MWILL
07-25-2006, 03:23 PM

Good God Afro! Just because it happen twice doesn't mean it will happen again. The Spurs are a good team, but they will need to tweak their roster weather they win a championship or not.

One day the Spurs will be as good as the Knicks.
or
How a about the time when a 30+ Dominque Wilkins was your high scorer. How was that team?

LEONARD
07-25-2006, 03:23 PM
Well I have taken the same liberty that mav fans have when they seem to think they dominated the Spurs last year. The same liberty they have taken to completely ignore how lucky they were to advance.. Oh and it is very difficult to repeat getting back to the finals.. The Mavs will not shoot 69% again for the first half nor will they be bailed out with a foul down by 3 with less than 30 seconds left.. see in order to win you need to very good and a little lucky.. the mavs had their luck last year and they blew it.. :lol

Getting a call on an obvious hack across the arm on a dunk attempt is not a "bail out"...Wade got a bail out in Game 5 if you want to call anything a bail out...

The Mavs definitely didn't dominate the Spurs...anybody that says they did is an IDIOT. They showed that they're right there with them though, 6-5 for the season against them with tons of close games. The Mavs aren't going anywhere for a few years though, which is why it's idiotic to boldly state that last year was their "only chance" to win a title. It was a golden opportunity, but there's no way anybody can say for sure that they will or will not be back in the finals in the next few years...

leemajors
07-25-2006, 03:25 PM
Good God MWILL! Just because the Mavs made it to an NBA finals doesn't mean it will happen again. The Mavs are a good team, but they will need to tweak their roster weather they win a championship or not.

LEONARD
07-25-2006, 03:26 PM

Judging by the posts around here, I don't most Spurs fans share your optimism with all of the stellar off-season moves the Spurs have made this year...

yawn... i thought you said i'd be jealous? I'm jealous of jessica alba's boyfriend... the mavs? not even close..

by the way how did that 'deep' bench do in the finals?

How'd the Spurs bench do in the SECOND ROUND?? And how improved is that bench looking for next season?? :drunk

George Gervin's Afro
07-25-2006, 03:32 PM
Getting a call on an obvious hack across the arm on a dunk attempt is not a "bail out"...Wade got a bail out in Game 5 if you want to call anything a bail out...

The Mavs definitely didn't dominate the Spurs...anybody that says they did is an IDIOT. They showed that they're right there with them though, 6-5 for the season against them with tons of close games. The Mavs aren't going anywhere for a few years though, which is why it's idiotic to boldly state that last year was their "only chance" to win a title. It was a golden opportunity, but there's no way anybody can say for sure that they will or will not be back in the finals in the next few years...

History indicates how difficult it is..not just anybody..

George Gervin's Afro
07-25-2006, 03:38 PM
Judging by the posts around here, I don't most Spurs fans share your optimism with all of the stellar off-season moves the Spurs have made this year...

How'd the Spurs bench do in the SECOND ROUND?? And how improved is that bench looking for next season?? :drunk

Lenny, Lenny, Lenny..we are accustomed to winning champioships here.. pardon us for not getting 'fired up' during the summer.. your like the spurs fans pre-1999.. everything gets you fired up..

TheHobbs
07-25-2006, 03:49 PM
Spurs don't need alot of change. Between Tim, Tony, Manu, and Bruce we will win 55 to 60 games like we do every year. We already have the core to go all the way.

The Mavs on the other hand had once-in-a-career games from 2 or 3 players and beat the Spurs to advance. Then showed the world why the didn't belong by being soundly beaten by a Sub-Par Heat team.

So, we shall soon see who comes out of the West this year. One thing we can all agree on........It will cost the Mavs a lot more $$$$$$ to prove it....and we all know $$$$ don't buy rings, talent does.

mabber
07-25-2006, 04:02 PM
Spurs don't need alot of change. Between Tim, Tony, Manu, and Bruce we will win 55 to 60 games like we do every year. We already have the core to go all the way.

The Mavs on the other hand had once-in-a-career games from 2 or 3 players and beat the Spurs to advance. Then showed the world why the didn't belong by being soundly beaten by a Sub-Par Heat team.

So, we shall soon see who comes out of the West this year. One thing we can all agree on........It will cost the Mavs a lot more $$$$$$ to prove it....and we all know $$$$ don't buy rings, talent does.

You're showing your ignorance there, TheHobbs. Both the Mavs and the Spurs are under the salary cap.

Kori Ellis
07-25-2006, 04:05 PM
You're showing your ignorance there, TheHobbs. Both the Mavs and the Spurs are under the salary cap.

No, neither team is under the salary cap. The Spurs are under the luxury tax threshhold -- I don't think the Mavs are even under that.

ChumpDumper
07-25-2006, 04:10 PM
And remember Cuban is paying Finley about six times the money the Spurs are paying him this season.

Bruno
07-25-2006, 04:12 PM
What a bad thread.

1) Devean George for the min is an ok signing but he will only play if injuries happen. If he plays, he won't be a factor against Spurs : too slow to guard Manu, too small to guard Duncan.

2) The offseason isn't finished, a lot of things can still happen.

3) Mavs fans who thinks that they will easily beat Spurs next year are dillusional : First Mavs aren't way better than last year and second Spurs aren't a worse team than last year against Mavs (don't forget that we have only lost NVE, Rasho and Nazr and that they were useless against Mavs).

4) Spurs fans who still say 3-0 are just trolling. We won't play next year wiht 99 Spurs or 03 Spurs but with 07 Spurs. Fact : Mavs beat us last year, they were the better team last year. It's up to Spurs to improve next year and beat Dallas, plain and simple.

Kori Ellis
07-25-2006, 04:17 PM
No, neither team is under the salary cap. The Spurs are under the luxury tax threshhold -- I don't think the Mavs are even under that.

Mavs are well over the luxury tax threshhold again.

Dirk - 15.1
Stack - 9.2
Damp - 8.6
Terry ~ 7
Croshere - 7.3
Bradley - 4.8
Eschmeyer 3.7
Harris - 3.1
Buckner ~ 3
Johnson - 2.6
MBenga ~ 1.7
Diop - 2.0
Abdul-Wahad - 2.0
Howard - 1.6
Pavel - 1.2
Ager - 865K
George - 1.4

That's over 75M.

Plus they have to pay Finley his 15M or whatever. I know that doesn't count toward the luxury tax, but the Mavs aren't really being thrifty.

ChumpDumper
07-25-2006, 04:19 PM
I think Esch and TAW's deal might not count against the cap anymore due to their injury retirements. I'm not sure Bradley's was an official injury retirement.

Bruno
07-25-2006, 04:21 PM
TAW count against the cap : it was a buyout not a medical retirement.

Kori Ellis
07-25-2006, 04:21 PM
I think Esch and TAW's deal might not count against the cap anymore due to their injury retirements. I'm not sure Bradley's was an official injury retirement.

I read TAW counts. I don't know about Eschmeyer or Bradley.

2Cleva
07-25-2006, 04:25 PM

Actually, SA is slightly over the lux tax. They owed less than a million when it was calculated, likely more now that they signed those 2 big men.

Dallas owed $17.3 million going into the summer.

The tax level, btw, is $61.7 million.

mabber
07-25-2006, 04:29 PM
And remember Cuban is paying Finley about six times the money the Spurs are paying him this season.

Yeah, I know that but it doesn't effect tax for Mavs.

ChumpDumper
07-25-2006, 04:30 PM
It's still money they have to pay.

Insurance would cover medical retirements.

mabber
07-25-2006, 04:30 PM
Mavs are well over the luxury tax threshhold again.

Dirk - 15.1
Stack - 9.2
Damp - 8.6
Terry ~ 7
Croshere - 7.3
Bradley - 4.8
Eschmeyer 3.7
Harris - 3.1
Buckner ~ 3
Johnson - 2.6
MBenga ~ 1.7
Diop - 2.0
Abdul-Wahad - 2.0
Howard - 1.6
Pavel - 1.2
Ager - 865K
George - 1.4

That's over 75M.

Plus they have to pay Finley his 15M or whatever. I know that doesn't count toward the luxury tax, but the Mavs aren't really being thrifty.

Ok, not really what I meant as the Mavs are still paying for players not helping them anymore. I was talking about going forward. My bad.

mabber
07-25-2006, 04:32 PM
It's still money they have to pay.

Insurance would cover medical retirements.

Yeah, you're right. I was just talking about the money they're paying for the players currently on their roster and helping them win games. Technically, they're over the cap.

Kori Ellis
07-25-2006, 04:32 PM
Actually, SA is slightly over the lux tax. They owed less than a million when it was calculated, likely more now that they signed those 2 big men.

Dallas owed $17.3 million going into the summer.

The tax level, btw, is $61.7 million.

I know SA is over for this past year -- we had a big thread about it, they owe 900K if IIRC. And I also know they are trying to be under in the upcoming season. For 06-07, it's supposed to be around $65.4 M.

Kori Ellis
07-25-2006, 04:35 PM
Ok, not really what I meant as the Mavs are still paying for players not helping them anymore. I was talking about going forward. My bad.

Even if you don't include Bradley, Eschmeyer, Abdul-Wahad, and Finley, they are still over the salary cap.

mabber
07-25-2006, 04:42 PM
Even if you don't include Bradley, Eschmeyer, Abdul-Wahad, and Finley, they are still over the salary cap.

Well I must have been :smokin :drunk when I thought they were right at the cap # w/o those players not on the roster now. Thanks for setting me straight. Regardless, they're doing much better than in past years when Cuban was throwing money around left and right. Finley's contract is prime example. He was my favorite Mav player but he in no should have received a contract that large. Raef Lafrenz had a ridiculous contract as well.

Kori Ellis
07-25-2006, 04:43 PM
Well I must have been :smokin :drunk when I thought they were right at the cap # w/o those players not on the roster now. Thanks for setting me straight. Regardless, they're doing much better than in past years when Cuban was throwing money around left and right. Finley's contract is prime example. He was my favorite Mav player but he in no should have received a contract that large. Raef Lafrenz had a ridiculous contract as well.

Yeah they are definitely improving. :) Cuban is obviously trying to find the balance of spending enough to win but not spending himself into tax debt.

mabber
07-25-2006, 04:43 PM

I take that back TheHobbs, apparently it was me showing my ignorance on this. I apologize.

mabber
07-25-2006, 04:47 PM
Yeah they are definitely improving. :) Cuban is obviously trying to find the balance of spending enough to win but not spending himself into tax debt.

I don't think he cares that much about the money...I read somewhere where he said he just finally realized that it was "bad business" and it made him look kinda foolish.

Now if he could only figure that out about some of the other "foolish" things he does :lol

Winnipeg_Spur
07-25-2006, 05:02 PM
The more wings the Mavs sign that Duncan or another big can guard, the better, imo. It could help them in the regular season if they have some injuries, but against SA in the playoffs George won't really change anything (if he's even on the playoff roster).

ChumpDumper
07-25-2006, 05:04 PM
I don't think he cares that much about the money...I read somewhere where he said he just finally realized that it was "bad business" and it made him look kinda foolish.

Now if he could only figure that out about some of the other "foolish" things he does :lolNah, he cares about money, otherwise he never would've cut Finley.

He is fine with breaking even for now. He doesn't want to lose money.

hero03msu
07-25-2006, 05:12 PM
Kori, the 75M is not entirely accurate.

The Mavs were under the tax threshold according to David Lord at http://www.dallasbasketball.com/info_page.asp (db.com). This was before the George signing (but after the Johnson trade) that he wrote this particular article, here is just part of the article dealing w/ the payroll:

GUESS WHO IS PAYING LUXURY TAX AFTER ALL?

There are other consequences to this trade, however. One is that in making this trade the Mavs have stepped past the tax threshold this year. In so doing, they have affirmed openly their continued willingness to pay luxury tax in exchange for extra talent that may give them that next added edge in the chase for a title. Prior to this swap, the team was positioned to land just below the tax threshold this season, and could have easily remained there. Now - in a move for a player that gives more flexibility but that should end up 3rd on the depth chart at point guard - the Mavs are assured of being taxpayers.

We don’t see any benefit in having a high payroll when the money is being wasted, but the Mavs have now brought their individual contracts down to typical NBA levels. Yet they are showing that as long as the contracts are reasonable, they are still willing to maintain the commitment to obtain the best 15-man roster possible. At a time when other owners are almost unanimously taking bold steps to avoid the tax, Mark Cuban's willingness to go that extra step sets him apart from the crowd. We think he needs to be commended for his commitment to bring a title to Dallas.

Here is the new scorecard on Mavs spending for this season.
TAXABLE PAYROLL 15,101,626 -- Nowitzki
9,296,874 -- Stackhouse
9,625,000 -- Dampier
7,300,000 -- Croshere
6,600,000 -- Terry - his deal was reported as 6 yrs 50M and max raises put that at 6.6M - contract is not signed yet
3,200,000 -- Buckner
3,153,120 -- Harris
1,998,000 -- Diop
1,577,353 -- Howard
1,500,000 -- Mbenga estimated - no numbers reported, this just seems the proper range - contract was signed recently
1,221,240 -- Podkolzin
906,480 -- Ager
2,640.000 -- Anthony Johnson
1,968,750 -- Abdul-Wahad, final year was reportedly 25% guaranteed when waived

66,088,443 TOTAL for 13 players

Tax threshold - 65,420,000
Tax - 668,443
Forfeiture of league revenue - 1,500,000 (estimated)

Based on the analysis above, the team is already contributing over $2.1M to the other owners for the extra talent. The other consequence to this trade is that the Mavs now have two roster spots open. The payroll total will go up even farther before all is said and done.

Here was what Fish had to say on the topic as of today w/ the updated number after the signing of George.

Once the dust had settled Monday night on the Pacers deal, the Mavs let it be known that they now have a commitment for that empty backup SF opening our David Lord discusses at length here.

Ex-Laker Devean George has agreed to a deal for the veteran minimum of about $1.0 million. (If the deal is for only one year, the league will subsidize the contract and the Mavs will only pay and be taxed in the amount of $744,551.)

This brings the Mavs roster total to 14, with a total payroll (assuming a subsidized deal) of $66,832,994 (which is $1,412,994 above the tax threshold). There is still one roster slot remaining, which we still think will go to a developmental type forward as noted above.

We breakdown the so-far 14-man roster now as follows:

C - Diop, Dampier, Mbenga, Podkolzin
PF - Nowitzki, Croshere
SF -- Howard, George
SG - Buckner, Stackhouse, Ager
PG - Terry, Harris, Johnson

dbestpro
07-25-2006, 05:47 PM
Dallas has to pay Eschmeyer 3.7 mil and Bradely 4.8 mil, which are not included in the list and does count against the cap. The only salary that does not count against the cap is Finley's 17.2 mil.

Dalhoop
07-25-2006, 06:21 PM
Players on the active roster at this time.

Harris (3.1), Terry (7.0), Howard (1.5), Nowitzki (15.1), Dampier (8.6), Johnson (2.6), Buckner (3.0), Stackhouse (9.2), Croshere (7.3), Diop (2.0), Mbenga (1.7), Pavel (1.2), Ager (0.8), George (1.4)

Total 64.5M for the players on the floor.

The Spurs (not counting this off-seasons moves) are at 61M

For all the "free spending", the team on the floor for the Mavs only costs 3.5M more a year then the Spurs. Now when Howard gets his contract redone those number will go up, but for now ... the two teams players on the floor are making close to the same amount.

Bruno
07-25-2006, 06:32 PM
For all the "free spending", the team on the floor for the Mavs only costs 3.5M more a year then the Spurs.

Horrible way to see the payroll situation.

Example :
Spurs had to give up first round pick to get ride of Rose's contract.
Mavs had gave up nothing to get ride of Finley's contract.

The fact that Cuban was able to remove bad contracts (by losing $51M in Finley case) without giving up assets is a huge plus for Mavs.

Dalhoop
07-25-2006, 06:51 PM
Horrible way to see the payroll situation.

But true.

Only in Finleys case is a player that we are paying still in the NBA, all the others have retired or gotten injured or whatever in TAW's case.

The Spurs could have dumped the contract or Barry if they wanted ... but they didn't ... Thats not the Mavs fault.

The only thing seperating the two teams in dollars spent on the floor is 3.5M ... The Mavs are not as "Free-spending as alot of Spurs fans would like to think, as a matter of fact, if the Mavs are "spending hand over fist" then so are the Spurs, if the Spurs are "penny pinching" then so are the Mavs .. there is only a 3.5M differeance, that is only slightly more then halh the MLE

Bruno
07-25-2006, 06:57 PM
The only thing seperating the two teams in dollars spent on the floor is 3.5M ... The Mavs are not as "Free-spending as alot of Spurs fans would like to think, as a matter of fact, if the Mavs are "spending hand over fist" then so are the Spurs, if the Spurs are "penny pinching" then so are the Mavs .. there is only a 3.5M differeance, that is only slightly more then halh the MLE

I hope you're not a business man.
A dollar is a dollar. The fact that he is spend for a player who plays or not doesn't change the fact that he is spend. Plain and simple. Cuban spend more money than Holt, numbers don't lie.

Dalhoop
07-25-2006, 07:21 PM
But the team numbers on the floor do not lie either. Is it Cubans fault that Bradley and ech retired? Or that TAW is a complete ^SS?

The Finley signing to a overloaded contract did what it was supposed to do ... It showed that the Mavs were serious about paying for players and that they were equaly serious about building a contending team. The effect on other teams and players perception of the Mavs franchise is different now then what it was before.

Now as Finley aged ... and the Mavs had his replacement in waiting a way to get out of the contract appeared and was taken. Again it was a good decision.

If Barry retired tomorrow guess what? He will still count on the cap, whether he plays or not. You take your chances with aging players.

Cuban is spending more money, but the teams on the floor cost close to the same amount .. but by looking at the talent level from top to bottom even die-hard Spurs fans should wonder "where is our bench?" and "why can't we sign players closer to their prime instead of the likes or Horry, Barry and Williams"

Bruno
07-25-2006, 07:36 PM
just take an example :

Mavs had Finley with a bad contract : they waived him =>
Cost for Mavs : nothing
Cost for Cuban : $50M

Spurs had Rose with a bad contract : they trade him =>
Cost for Spurs : 2 first rounders
Cost for Holt : nothing

The fact that Cuban spend way more money than holt give an edge to Mavs.

Don't forget too that taking TAW bad contract allow mavs to get NVE.

Dalhoop
07-25-2006, 07:45 PM
Don't forget too that taking TAW bad contract allow mavs to get NVE.

Thats the key, the Mavs have pulled the trigger on trades that all is not perfict in. They take the gamble on a bad contract to get what they feel they need. The Spurs seem to be almost "gun shy" when it comes to making trades for players that can really make a differance.

Bruno
07-25-2006, 07:49 PM
Thats the key, the Mavs have pulled the trigger on trades that all is not perfict in. They take the gamble on a bad contract to get what they feel they need. The Spurs seem to be almost "gun shy" when it comes to making trades for players that can really make a differance.

That's the key, the Mavs have pulled the trigger on trades where they get some bad contracts and a talent upgrade because Cuban was able to take these bad contracts.

You see now what "spending hand over fist" has allowed to do.

Dalhoop
07-25-2006, 08:06 PM
But we are not "spending" we trade those bad ones to someone else :) Only with Finley were we left holding the bag. We traded Juwan Howard and Lafranz contracts for more talent after each spent little time with us.

Bruno
07-25-2006, 08:41 PM
But we are not "spending" we trade those bad ones to someone else :) Only with Finley were we left holding the bag. We traded Juwan Howard and Lafranz contracts for more talent after each spent little time with us.

Check the facts :
Juwan howard wasn't really a bad contract when you traded him (only 1 1/2 years left on his contract) and when you get Lafrentz, he was an expiring (Dallas gave him later a big contract).

Leetonidas
07-25-2006, 09:51 PM
Decent signing. Not bad for the minimum.

MrChug
07-25-2006, 10:13 PM

Thanks for the solid addition to the topic... :smokin

Hey moron...you went off on the tangent. And I'm quite sure you have no idea what we have 3 of and you have none of. :lol

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-25-2006, 10:52 PM
Speaking of George....George Gervin was my favorite basketball player when I was a kid, and even though I knew nothing about country music I liked George Jones songs because they always told a story.

Imagine that for a minute, George Gervin was my favorite ball player, I liked George Jones songs, and now the Mavs sign a guy named George. Unfreaking believable.

Add to that the fact that George Washington not only was the first president of the United States, but he also is on the one dollar bill, and, well, it just starts getting spooky.

Now that I think of it I dated a Georgette in high school and I once drove through George-i-a on my way to Florida, and suddenly I'm really scared.

violentkitten
07-25-2006, 11:00 PM
he may suck but who's the spurs' backup small forward? larry kenon is it too late?

mikejones99
07-26-2006, 04:30 AM
Still cannot beat the Spurs.

mikejones99
07-26-2006, 04:31 AM
finley horry n Barry are backup forwards and Oberto

LEONARD
07-26-2006, 07:43 AM
Cuban was on the radio the other day and they asked him if he made money on the Mavs last year...Cuban just laughed and said not even close...

SpursWillOwn
07-26-2006, 08:29 AM
Speaking of George....George Gervin was my favorite basketball player when I was a kid, and even though I knew nothing about country music I liked George Jones songs because they always told a story.

Imagine that for a minute, George Gervin was my favorite ball player, I liked George Jones songs, and now the Mavs sign a guy named George. Unfreaking believable.

Add to that the fact that George Washington not only was the first president of the United States, but he also is on the one dollar bill, and, well, it just starts getting spooky.

Now that I think of it I dated a Georgette in high school and I once drove through George-i-a on my way to Florida, and suddenly I'm really scared.
:lol :lmao

2Cleva
07-26-2006, 08:38 AM
The deal isn't done yet.

George offered contract

The Mavs have offered free-agent small forward Devean George a one-year, $2 million contract, sources said.

However, George's agent, Mark Bartelstein, said he's still exploring other options, including Phoenix, New Jersey and Cleveland. Bartelstein said there's no firm timeline to
complete a deal.

George has played all seven of his NBA seasons with the Lakers.

Earlier this summer, the Mavs signed free-agent swingman Greg Buckner to a five-year contract worth -- including incentives -- $19 million. Buckner's first-year salary of $3.2 million covered a huge chunk of the $5.2 million mid-level exception, and the remaining $2 million was offered to George.

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/basketball/15125236.htm

Viva Las Espuelas
07-26-2006, 12:15 PM
Hypocrits!!

If I'm not mistaken the spurs were interested in signing him not too long ago...

And btw the Mavs are going to the Finals again...

first of all its "Hypocrites"

secondly, this year was probably the best time for the mavs to have won the title. i really don't see them going back or winning one for a while. there's going to be way too many good teams in the mix other than the spurs. should be fun.

mabber
07-26-2006, 12:48 PM
first of all its "Hypocrites"

secondly, this year was probably the best time for the mavs to have won the title. i really don't see them going back or winning one for a while. there's going to be way too many good teams in the mix other than the spurs. should be fun.

What other good teams will be in the mix other than the Spurs, Suns & Heat? Clippers are becoming a really good team but still aren't as good as any of these teams. Rockets have some upside if they stay healthy. I suppose the Kings will be better but still not a top 3 team in the west. Nobody in the east other than the Heat looks to be ready to contend for a title just yet. I'm confident that the NBA champ next season will be either the Mavs, Spurs, Suns or Heat. Nothings really changed from last season. In fact, the Pistons are probably out of the mix with the loss of Ben Wallace (this is yet to be seen and I could be wrong) which makes this season even more ripe for the Mavs, Spurs, Suns or Heat to win the title.

picnroll
07-26-2006, 12:51 PM
Bulls will be interesting this year and a bitch in the future with the Knicks' pick in '07.

LEONARD
01-19-2007, 12:22 PM
Some expert analysis on the George signing...

George sucks... I would have personally shot Peter Holt or RC had they signed him for anything more than a big mac.

George should have retired after shaq left. He is a waste of bench space

George is ok. He'll play for Dallas about as much as he would've for us. Not much.

wtf gives a poo

Ok all together now "Who cares?"

Good stuff...

here's a valid point though...

Well, remembering how much he cried about officiating when he played for the Lakers, and seeing how much Dirk and Cuban cried in the playoffs, he'll fit right in.

George DEFINITELY whines too much...that annoys me...

They were the 05 06 version of the 93 94 Phoenix Suns.

Yea, things definitely aren't going too well this season for the Mavs... :drunk

Spurs don't need alot of change. Between Tim, Tony, Manu, and Bruce we will win 55 to 60 games like we do every year. We already have the core to go all the way. The Mavs on the other hand had once-in-a-career games from 2 or 3 players and beat the Spurs to advance.

:dizzy

Trainwreck2100
01-19-2007, 12:24 PM
The season's not over yet, and you already got banned for doing this shit in the playoffs last year.

LEONARD
01-19-2007, 12:29 PM
The season's not over yet, and you already got banned for doing this shit in the playoffs last year.

I got banned for pulling up random Dirk threads (7 or 8) at the same time...

Discussing George's signing at this point in the season seems to be a legit topic to me :wtf

Trainwreck2100
01-19-2007, 12:30 PM
I got banned for pulling up random Dirk threads (7 or 8) at the same time...

Discussing George's signing at this point in the season seems to be a legit topic to me :wtf

So do it in the NBA forum, which you did, because no Spursfan will know anything about George's progress nor will they care

Solid D
01-19-2007, 12:34 PM
Trainwreck, don't sell Spurs fans short please. Many of us are basketball fans, not just Spurs fans.

Solid D
01-19-2007, 12:40 PM
Leonard, what's your main point here? That since Devean started at the 2 last night and he's earned more than 20 min./game, that he's the X-Factor now or what?

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-19-2007, 12:51 PM
Let's just start bumping every old thread shall we?!!

George is a big goober.

LEONARD
01-19-2007, 12:52 PM
Leonard, what's your main point here? That since Devean started at the 2 last night and he's earned more than 20 min./game, that he's the X-Factor now or what?

Has nothing to do with him starting last night...has everything to do with him being a huge aquisition. He HAS been the x-factor in many games...

LEONARD
01-19-2007, 12:53 PM
George is a big goober.

Solid point... :dizzy

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-19-2007, 12:58 PM
Solid point... :dizzy

Sorry....

George is a great big goober.

I hope that clarifies for you. It's basically as deep a point as your "mystery" point.

cheguevara
01-19-2007, 01:01 PM
Some expert analysis on the George signing...

Good stuff...

here's a valid point though...

George DEFINITELY whines too much...that annoys me...

Yea, things definitely aren't going too well this season for the Mavs... :drunk

:dizzy

so George has a couple of good games and so what??? woofuckinpee! Beno had a couple of good games too :lol

LEONARD
01-19-2007, 01:06 PM
so George has a couple of good games and so what??? woofuckinpee! Beno had a couple of good games too :lol

LOL...so how many Mavs games have you seen exactly? 2??

George has been solid all season...

Solid D
01-19-2007, 01:07 PM
Meanwhile, AJ called his first timeout last night in the game just to blast Devean with both barrels about some missed assignment. He has had some good games, however.

LEONARD
01-19-2007, 01:10 PM
Meanwhile, AJ called his first timeout last night in the game just to blast Devean with both barrels about some missed assignment. He has had some good games, however.

First time I've seen Devean chewed like that all season...

AJ has done nothing but sing his praises in the media...

mabber
01-19-2007, 01:16 PM
First time I've seen Devean chewed like that all season...

AJ has done nothing but sing his praises in the media...

I know I didn't think much of that signing when it happened but he has become a key part of the Mav's success this season. I'm thrilled to have him now. It makes me wonder what the hell he was doing in LA the last couple of years, cuz I don't think it was playing this well. I didn't realize he was such a good rebounder.

Solid D
01-19-2007, 01:18 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/Jhoward_300_070118.jpg
...and meanwhile Howard is smiling like James Brown because the Lakers are too tired to contest the shots like they did the night before versus the Spurs.
Somebody needs to sell Josh up wit some Grillz so he can be really lightin' it up Chad Johnson style.

LEONARD
01-19-2007, 01:25 PM
...and meanwhile Howard is smiling like James Brown because the Lakers are too tired to contest the shots like they did the night before versus the Spurs.
Somebody needs to sell Josh up wit some Grillz so he can be really lightin' it up Chad Johnson style.

Like Kenny Smith said after the game, B2B is NO EXCUSE...

LEONARD
01-19-2007, 01:26 PM
I know I didn't think much of that signing when it happened but he has become a key part of the Mav's success this season. I'm thrilled to have him now. It makes me wonder what the hell he was doing in LA the last couple of years, cuz I don't think it was playing this well. I didn't realize he was such a good rebounder.

Yep, I had no idea he could rebound and defend like he has...

mabber
01-19-2007, 01:30 PM

I assumed he was a good defender since Phil Jackson always said he was his best defender.

SoCal Lakeshow
01-19-2007, 01:32 PM
Always been a very good rebounder and defender. Maybe one of the best rebounders for his size at his position. Only problem with the Lakers is we needed him to do more.

mabber
01-19-2007, 01:35 PM
Always been a very good rebounder and defender. Maybe one of the best rebounders for his size at his position. Only problem with the Lakers is we needed him to do more.

I think he fits in better with Dallas as he's not asked to score for the most part. They do want him to be able to hit the open 3 pointer which he has been doing over the last month.

SoCal Lakeshow
01-19-2007, 01:40 PM
I think he fits in better with Dallas as he's not asked to score for the most part. They do want him to be able to hit the open 3 pointer which he has been doing over the last month.
He's an offensive liability if he doesn't hit the 3 ball. With you guys not as much as an issue. With the Lakers it was.

Solid D
01-19-2007, 01:45 PM
Kenny Smith is whack on some of his analogies and analysis, also. Two nights in a bed is better than one, I don't care if there is an extra practice thrown in on those legs...especially if the legs are older legs. Dallas has got b2bs down pretty good, I must say, but the Lakers didn't do very well closing out on shooters and staying active after the first qtr.

DubMcDub
01-19-2007, 01:56 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/Jhoward_300_070118.jpg

You just knew the Spurs fans were gonna resort to "well we had to play them on the FIRST night of a back to back and you got to play them on the SECOND".

mabber
01-19-2007, 02:05 PM
He's an offensive liability if he doesn't hit the 3 ball. With you guys not as much as an issue. With the Lakers it was.

I can see that. There's definitely some weak areas or the Mavs wouldn't have got him so cheap. He's been a bargain so far. He's playing better than Buckner (although Buck has started to play better lately) and we paid much more for him. I don't recall what we're paying Croshere (too much) but he's been a bust so far. I believe his contract expires at the end of the season though.

SoCal Lakeshow
01-19-2007, 02:15 PM
I can see that. There's definitely some weak areas or the Mavs wouldn't have got him so cheap. He's been a bargain so far. He's playing better than Buckner (although Buck has started to play better lately) and we paid much more for him. I don't recall what we're paying Croshere (too much) but he's been a bust so far. I believe his contract expires at the end of the season though.
Yeah. The Lakers could have resigned him, but time had run it's course. We had to start new. I knew he would be a very good pickup for you guys. Him and Howard on the court at the same time make a very good defensive team.

wildbill2u
01-19-2007, 02:17 PM
Here's a thought that came to me:

If the Finley deal with the Mavs (Cuban pays millions and we pay a pittance) came along today, considering Finley's play, would the Spurs be wise to make that deal?

wildbill2u
01-19-2007, 02:33 PM
Cuban was on the radio the other day and they asked him if he made money on the Mavs last year...Cuban just laughed and said not even close...
Pretty revealing that Cuban can laugh about his losses. San Antonio probably doesn't have anyone in town who can match Cuban's assets or income. I'm betting he makes more on interest in one week that the $3.5 million in luxury tax.

Does he have a concern about money? Sure, but I think he's adjusted his business decisions to counter the 'wildman' image. As someone else suggested, he probably prefers to be known as a good business man--an ego thing.

Neither Holt or anyone else in SA--including McCombs who opted out years ago--can match him dollar for dollar. And some are criticizing Holt for trying to keep the franchise solvent so they can stay here. I guarantee you that if the team starts losing lots of dollars it will be hard for any business man to keep them here just out of loyalty to his hometown.

Personally, I think management is doing a good job in maintaining a good entertainment venue for San Antonio with a team that remains in the top echelon year after year.

As has been proven over the last few years, no one, not even the rich owners of the Lakers or New York, can guarantee to buy their fans a championship dynasty, regardless of what players they have under contract.

mabber
01-19-2007, 02:39 PM
Pretty revealing that Cuban can laugh about his losses. San Antonio probably doesn't have anyone in town who can match Cuban's assets or income. I'm betting he makes more on interest in one week that the $3.5 million in luxury tax.

Does he have a concern about money? Sure, but I think he's adjusted his business decisions to counter the 'wildman' image. As someone else suggested, he probably prefers to be known as a good business man--an ego thing.

Neither Holt or anyone else in SA--including McCombs who opted out years ago--can match him dollar for dollar. And some are criticizing Holt for trying to keep the franchise solvent so they can stay here. I guarantee you that if the team starts losing lots of dollars it will be hard for any business man to keep them here just out of loyalty to his hometown.

Personally, I think management is doing a good job in maintaining a good entertainment venue for San Antonio with a team that remains in the top echelon year after year.

As has been proven over the last few years, no one, not even the rich owners of the Lakers or New York, can guarantee to buy their fans a championship dynasty, regardless of what players they have under contract.

I think they are doing a GREAT job!

Solid D
01-19-2007, 03:05 PM
That's also an excuse ...

Did you hear anything about cap room ?

Was made especially for small markets teams like the Spurs and thier tight ass owners like Holt....

One more thing your team is not a dynasty...drop that shit, they can't even repeat

The Knicks have plenty of cap room.
http://img.nextag.com/image/Bouffant_Shower_Cap/1/000/005/287/423/528742344.jpg

Solid D
01-19-2007, 03:18 PM
The Knicks have a team payroll of over $139,000,000. Look at that mess. The Mavs are a distant 2nd at a team payroll of just under $95,000,000.

The last two NBA Champions have almost equal payrolls at $66M....as do the PHX Suns.

Solid D
01-19-2007, 03:22 PM
The only thing the Knicks don't own is you and that's because you were already
Own3d

:lmao

timvp
01-19-2007, 05:41 PM

Typical Mav Fan. Mav Fan probably didn't even know who Devean George was before this year.

George is playing the same minutes he was last year but is rebounding less ... and getting less blocks and steals. Yet Mav Fan is amazed at his rebounding and defense.

Do they not offer league pass in Dallas or what else can explain the lack of NBA knowledge by an entire fanbase?

mabber
01-19-2007, 06:46 PM
Typical Mav Fan. Mav Fan probably didn't even know who Devean George was before this year.

George is playing the same minutes he was last year but is rebounding less ... and getting less blocks and steals. Yet Mav Fan is amazed at his rebounding and defense.

Do they not offer league pass in Dallas or what else can explain the lack of NBA knowledge by an entire fanbase?

Wow, I usually like reading your posts. You're posts are better when you're not dissing people.

I never paid much attention to what George was doing in LA. I saw him play in many playoff games and never really noticed him getting a lot of rebounds. Maybe it was because Shaq was getting most of them at the time. I knew of his defensive abilities just from what I had read (Phil Jackson said he was his best defender). I don't make full out judgements on a player based on watching a few games in playoffs and a few regular season games. I knew he was a very athletic player that could play several positions but never looked up his stats. I barely keep up with Mav stats as I just go by what I see for the most part.

Shank
01-19-2007, 07:23 PM

Is this anything like when Spur Fan was sucking on Francisco Elson?

LEONARD
02-01-2007, 09:41 AM

You're right...I'd never heard of the guy.... :lol

To be more specific, I didn't expect the overall impact from George at THIS POINT in his career. Everybody said he was "spent"...or close to it. He's basically putting up the same #'s that he has the last couple years while coming off the bench for the most part. Can't complain about that. His defense is a nice addition too...

and no, I don't have league pass. I barely have enough time to watch every Mavs game as it is. I'm pretty sure I'm in the majority of NBA fans that DON'T have league pass and DON'T watch too many other games when their team isn't playing. I'll watch a good matchup on national TV, but that's about it...

Is this anything like when Spur Fan was sucking on Francisco Elson?

Ouch...