PDA

View Full Version : A Homeless Man's Reward

1Parker1
07-25-2006, 02:18 PM
DETROIT - A homeless man who returned $21,000 worth of saving bonds he found in a trash bin is finding out how much honesty can pay off.

Charles Moore, 59, had been searching for returnable bottles last week when he came across the 31 U.S. savings bonds. He turned them in to a homeless shelter, where a staff member tracked down the family of the man who had owned them.

For his good deed, the bond owner’s son gave Moore $100, but residents around Michigan and in other states decided his action merited a more generous reward.

So far, Moore has received over $4,000.

One man sent him eight trash bags full of returnable bottles and a bowl of coins. (:lol) Three others gave a combined $2,500, and two businessmen from Troy donated $1,200, a shopping spree and a lead on a job.

“I was thankful for it,” said Moore, who had lost his roofing job in Ohio and moved back to Michigan but couldn’t find work.

Moore said he plans to use the money to find an apartment.

David C. Smith, of Albuquerque, N.M., gave Moore $1,000. Smith said he and his fiancée wouldn’t have thought twice about what to do if the bonds had belonged to them.

“We would have given him the whole amount, period,” Smith said. “No questions asked.”

A homeless man returns a $21,000 bond to the owner, and the owner rewards him with a $100, that's just wrong...

SpursWoman
07-25-2006, 02:21 PM
A homeless man returns a $21,000 bond to the owner, and the owner rewards him with a $100, that's just wrong...

I don't know if I'd have given him the whole $21,000 ... probably half ... but only $100? WTF?

Good for those other people for chipping in ... I hope he gets the job. :)

tlongII
07-25-2006, 02:21 PM

Yes, he should have been tipped at least 15-20 %.

SpursWoman
07-25-2006, 02:23 PM

Unless he takes too long with the refills. :fro

1Parker1
07-25-2006, 02:24 PM

:lol

PM5K
07-25-2006, 02:55 PM
You gotta give the guy at least a grand, what a fucking asshole...

Does honesty really pay off, that stingy fuck didn't deserve that money...

1Parker1
07-25-2006, 03:00 PM
Well, it's amazing that a homeless man, living on the streets, has enough decency and honestly left in him to return $21,000. What's sad is, if an average Joe found it, do you think he'd try and return it to the owner or keep it himself?

Vizzini
07-25-2006, 03:04 PM

yup, but it is just a sign of the times as to how things are in regards to Michigan's economy. I read an article about last week and thought the reward was a litte low, but never gave it a second thought. It is nice to know that others are steping up to the plate and helping out a good samaritan.

midgetonadonkey
07-25-2006, 03:05 PM
If he's smart he would blow all $4000 on booze and whores.

1Parker1
07-25-2006, 03:06 PM
If he's smart he would blow all $4000 on booze and whores.

Quit ruining a decent thread with your nonsense!

midgetonadonkey
07-25-2006, 03:07 PM
Why is that nonsense?

Marklar MM
07-25-2006, 03:16 PM
Damn...at least get the guy a lapdance. Shit.

kobe_bryant
07-25-2006, 05:41 PM
I get in contact with him. I donate to him money

T Park
07-25-2006, 06:13 PM
Why should the guy be heavily rewarded for doing the right thing.

Doing the right thing, and KNOWING it was right is reward enough.

At least thats what our teachers taught us in school.

TheSanityAnnex
07-25-2006, 06:18 PM

At least thats what our teachers taught us in school.Teachers also taught us to throw things at students who are Bronco's fans.

T Park
07-25-2006, 06:21 PM
Teachers also taught us to throw things at students who are Bronco's fans.

So that means all teachers are bad?

Interesting.

NorCal510
07-25-2006, 07:12 PM

wow give me a break ninja

Spam
07-25-2006, 07:18 PM

Teachers these days are showing young men how to score. :smokin

PM5K
07-25-2006, 08:45 PM

I guess because the way I'd figure it is that if I lost that much money, I really owe the guy because if he hadn't found and returned it I'd have nothing, and subtracting whatever I give him, still leaves me with more than I would have had if not for him....

TheSanityAnnex
07-25-2006, 08:48 PM
So that means all teachers are bad?

Interesting.How do you manage to pull some of this out of your ass? I know you have a huge ass and all, but damn man, this one is out there.

You used teachers in the same general term I did.

Guru of Nothing
07-25-2006, 08:56 PM

TPark goes TPujols on us and hits one out of the TPark!

TPark is right and all the rest of y'all are simply measuring your personal degree of greed and seeking external blessings.

Wasn't this slice of morality covered in a Brady Bunch episode?

GrandeDavid
07-25-2006, 08:58 PM

The owner of that bond needs an assbeating in the worst way. That is absolute bullshit and criminal, in my mind. Selfishness is almost a fucking crime to me.

E20
07-25-2006, 09:04 PM
A man's first duty should be to his own family, if poor.

Any good act is charity, even if it is 100 dollars, they both were charitable. The guy who only gave him $100 might have needed the money badly or something, we don't know, but the homeless dude's good act cameback and he got 4K from other people.

But if it were me and he gave me my 21K back, I would have given him at least hmmmmm I don't know maybe around 5K.

CharlieMac
07-25-2006, 09:27 PM
Damn dude, put him in an efficiency for a year or something.

resistanze
07-25-2006, 09:36 PM
$100! Hahaha, my ribs. I had to share that with my family.

Extra Stout
07-26-2006, 09:15 AM

Helping out an honest guy who is down on his luck is the right thing to do too.

1Parker1
07-26-2006, 09:25 AM

Didn't they also teach us, Help those who need help more than us?

SpursWoman
07-26-2006, 10:07 AM
I guess because the way I'd figure it is that if I lost that much money, I really owe the guy because if he hadn't found and returned it I'd have nothing, and subtracting whatever I give him, still leaves me with more than I would have had if not for him....

That's how I considered the situation. Without that man turning it in, that money was 100% GONE...pretty likely because of that person's own negligence. Getting even half of it back would be a blessing ... and it would certainly help an honest man down on his luck.

$100 to me seems like an insult.

TDMVPDPOY
07-26-2006, 10:08 AM
Didn't they also teach us, Help those who need help more than us?
try tellin that to bush :D

Spurminator
07-26-2006, 10:19 AM
Lots of unknown factors before making a judgment on the $100 reward. For one thing, did the bond owner KNOW he was homeless?

I'm trying to picture the scenario... The police return your savings bonds, and say, "Someone found them in the trash and turned them in. Oh, by the way, he's homeless." Or do they just tell you someone found them in the trash?

Secondly, how do we know how well off this person is? Maybe he NEEDS the $21K.

God knows what's in his heart. I think the outpouring of generosity from people who were touched by the story is great, but I don't think we should make the bond owner out to be some kind of unthankful scrooge without knowing everything.

TheSanityAnnex
07-26-2006, 10:21 AM
While out golfing last week, a guy I was playing with found 300 bucks on the 18th tee box. He called me up yesterday to tell me he was splitting it four ways with those who were playing with us. Nice gesture and 75 bucks for me!! :tu

SpursWoman
07-26-2006, 10:32 AM
Lots of unknown factors before making a judgment on the $100 reward. For one thing, did the bond owner KNOW he was homeless?

I'm trying to picture the scenario... The police return your savings bonds, and say, "Someone found them in the trash and turned them in. Oh, by the way, he's homeless." Or do they just tell you someone found them in the trash?

God knows what's in his heart. I think the outpouring of generosity from people who were touched by the story is great, but I don't think we should make the bond owner out to be some kind of unthankful scrooge without knowing everything.

He obviously didn't NEED it that bad if he didn't take care enough to ensure that they didn't wind up in the trash. :spin

Not many broke people I know have $21,000 in savings bonds ... they would have cashed out those bad boys a long time ago. :lol

And still, without the man turning them in, they'd have NOTHING. They couldn't even have evened it out at $1,000?

*shrugs*

1Parker1
07-26-2006, 10:51 AM

A) How did all those people who showed such an outpouring of genorosity after the fact, know he was homeless? Through the media? In which case, I'm sure that the man who owned the bond did as well. Also, if you re-read the story, it says that the homeless man turned in the money to some people in a homeless shelter.....who in turn found the guy.

B) You're right in that we don't know how well off the bond owner is, but if he has the brains and means to invest money in a safe/risk-free bond to accumulate $21 grand, I'd more likely conclude he's pretty well off...at least more so than the homeless man.

My biggest gripe is that out of a whole $21,000, he only gave the man $100 as a reward...that's less than .005%!!! And as SW and others mentioned, he lost the bond out of his own negligence and had the man not returned it at all, he would have been left with $0.

1Parker1
07-26-2006, 10:53 AM
Anyways, it was nice to see the generosity of people after they heard the news.

One man sent him eight trash bags full of returnable bottles and a bowl of coins

:lol That's sweet.