PDA

View Full Version : Iraqi PM: His take on Israel

clambake
07-25-2006, 03:58 PM
Hasn't been printed anywhere, yet.

Iraq PM Mailki (sp) has condemning words for Israels action in Lebanon. Refuses to consider Hamas and Hezbollah as terrorist groups.

What do you think about that shit, Bush?

What do you clinging to the right have to say about this shit?

jochhejaam
07-25-2006, 04:27 PM

Iraq PM Mailki (sp) has condemning words for Israels action in Lebanon. Refuses to consider Hamas and Hezbollah as terrorist groups.

What's to say about what? Breaking news that hasn't broken yet? :lol

Maybe you can wait for a quote next time.

clambake
07-25-2006, 04:28 PM
Are you guys kiddin me? Nothing to say about this? Congress men and women have expressed outrage over this. They're supposed to honor this douche at the congressional meetings tommorrow. Bush was standing near when he made these statements and he acted like a cat had his tongue.

Didn't bush get to know this guy before he married him?

clambake
07-25-2006, 04:29 PM
Anybody EVER watch the news or c-span?

Yonivore
07-25-2006, 04:54 PM
C-Span yes. News? What News?

And, Maliki is entitled to his opinion but, I think his time would be better spent worrying about Iraqis.

jochhejaam
07-25-2006, 04:56 PM
Here we go CB. His response seems to have been tempered somewhat since last week.

Hastert Rejects Calls to Disinvite al-Maliki to Speak to Congress
Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Hastert, R-Ill., told reporters that even if al-Maliki doesn't apologize for earlier comments condemning Israel for its assault on Hezbollah terrorist targets in Lebanon, the prime minister "should address Congress. ... The U.S. has 130,000 troops [in Iraq]" and Washington must maintain a dialogue with the Iraqi government.

Al-Maliki's comments will "be part of that dialogue ... and we should all, on a bipartisan basis, be there to engage him."

Al-Maliki, a Shiite Muslim, was quoted in The New York Times and elsewhere calling Israel the aggressor in the conflict with Hezbollah, the Iranian- and Syrian-backed terror group that has been launching rockets at Israel from civilian communities in southern Lebanon. The latest armed conflict began nearly two weeks ago when Hezbollah terrorists crossed the northern Israeli border, kidnapped two soldiers and killed three others.

"The Israeli attacks and airstrikes are completely destroying Lebanon’s infrastructure,” al-Maliki is quoted in the paper as saying last Wednesday during a news conference in Baghdad. “I condemn these aggressions and call on the Arab League foreign ministers’ meeting in Cairo to take quick action to stop these aggressions. We call on the world to take quick stands to stop the Israeli aggression.”

House Democrats on Monday crafted a letter to Hastert urging him to cancel the speech by al-Maliki to the chamber. The letter, which was being circulated for signatures, argues that if the Iraqi leader's positions are at odds with U.S. foreign policy goals then he should not be given the honor of giving an address from the speaker's podium.

"In recent months there have been extensive reports indicating that al-Maliki and many in the Iraqi leadership are increasingly influenced by the government in Iran. Further, they have expressed support of terrorist organizations such as Hamas and Hezbollah, the latter of which was responsible for the death of 241 United States Marines in Beirut. The House should not allow an address from any world leader who has taken such action," the letter reads.

"We are unaware of any prior instance where a world leader who actively worked against the interests of the United States was afforded such an honor. We urge you to cancel the address," the letter concludes.

On Tuesday, asked specifically about his remarks, al-Maliki did not answer a question about his position on Hezbollah.

"We are not in the process of reviewing one issue or another or any government position," Maliki said. "What we're trying to do is to stop the killing and destruction and then we leave the room and the way for the international and diplomatic efforts and international organizations to play the role to be there.

"I'm talking here about the approach that should be used in order to stop this process of promoting hatred. There has to be superior decisions coming from above in order to protect these experiments, particularly democratic experiments, that should be protected by those who are trying to oppose it," he added.

In response, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi said that al-Maliki's failure to retreat from his comments on Israel or to criticize Hezbollah and Hamas, the terror group elected to lead the Palestinian people, is unacceptable.

"Unless Mr. Maliki disavows his critical comments of Israel and condemns terrorism, it is inappropriate to honor him with a joint meeting of Congress," Pelosi, D-Calif., wrote.

Criticism of al-Maliki's comments condemning Israel and calling on the "world to take quick stands to stop the Israeli aggression" appear to be breaking down along party lines in Congress.

Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada was joined by Democratic Sens. Chuck Schumer and Dick Durbin Tuesday in revealing a letter to al-Maliki asking him to denounce Hezbollah.

"Your statements are very troubling. Your failure to condemn Hezbollah's aggression and recognize Israel's right to defend itself raise serious questions about whether Iraq under your leadership can play a constructive role in resolving the current crisis and bringing stability to the Middle East," the letter reads. "It is imperative that the U.S. Congress and the world know immediately whether you support or condemn Hezbollah's acts of terrorism."

"Addressing a joint session of Congress and standing at the speaker's podium is a high honor. It has been bestowed upon those who have embraced fundamental values of liberty and freedom," Reid said.

Schumer and Durbin stopped short of saying they would boycott the joint address to Congress, indicated they would strongly consider not attending.

Reid said he would likely attend since he is the Democratic leader of the Senate, but it is a "matter for each senator" to decide whether to attend. Durbin and Schumer agreed, adding that the term "boycott" suggested an organized effort when in fact senators will make a personal decision whether to attend.

Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y., said she is "going to have to think about" whether or not she will attend the address. She called the prime minister's remarks "outrageous."

On the other hand, Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., a staunch supporter of the Iraq war, took no umbrage with the remarks, saying, "People are free to voice their opinions. I hadn't really even thought much about it."

The Senate's No. 2 Republican, Sen. Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, said, "We're very happy he's here. We're looking forward to hearing from him."

Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Arlen Specter is skipping the joint session, but not out of a protest. He is attending a hearing on National Security Agency issues with CIA Director Michael Hayden and NSA Chief Gen. Alexander.

Still, Specter said he has "serious reservations" about al-Maliki's appearance in front of the Congress because of his remarks, but he is not staking a position yet.

"I don't know the circumstances of his invitation, and I want to clarify that," he said. "I would like to know who invited him and what the reasons are. We have a lot of things we have to do with Iraq, so I don't want to take a position before" learning the decision for inviting him to speak.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,205521,00.html

ChumpDumper
07-25-2006, 05:00 PM
Hezbollah are Shiite. This Shiite president isn't going to look like he's favoring Israel over Shiites.

He should be keeping his fucking mouth shut since he has failed to secure his own capital.

clambake
07-25-2006, 05:07 PM
Thanks Joch. I wonder if all the tempured remarks have anything to do with US commiting more troops to Bahgdad?

NorCal510
07-25-2006, 05:16 PM
why dont we bomb da shit out of them

clambake
07-25-2006, 05:30 PM
Thanks Norcal. Your comments are always cutting edge.

NorCal510
07-25-2006, 05:56 PM
thanks mang

Nbadan
07-26-2006, 04:18 AM
Thanks Joch. I wonder if all the tempured remarks have anything to do with US commiting more troops to Bahgdad?

I think it has more to do with Al-Sadr sending 1500 of his best trained militia to help Hezbollah.

Nbadan
07-26-2006, 04:24 AM
Congressional Democrats voiced alarm on Tuesday over Iraq's denunciation of Israel in the Mideast conflict, and some said Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki's upcoming address to Congress should be canceled unless he apologizes.

A group of House of Representatives Democrats was circulating a letter to House Speaker Dennis Hastert urging the Illinois Republican to secure an apology from Maliki or cancel the address on Wednesday to a joint meeting of Congress. Ron Bonjean, Hastert's spokesman, said there was no intention to cancel Maliki's speech, and accused Democrats of "political gamesmanship during an election year."

Iraq's U.S.-backed government on Saturday denounced Israel's "criminal" raids on Lebanon and Gaza and warned that violence could escalate across the Middle East. Senate Democrats in a letter to Maliki said his failure to condemn Hizbollah's "aggression and recognize Israel's right to defend itself raise serious questions about whether Iraq under your leadership can play a constructive role in resolving the current crisis and bringing stability to the Middle East."

With more than 2,500 U.S. service members killed in the Iraq conflict, more than 18,000 wounded and more than $300 billion in U.S. tax dollars spent, the Senate Democrats said, "Americans deserve to know whether Iraq in an ally in these fights."

Reuters (http://today.reuters.com/news/newsarticle.aspx?type=newsOne&storyID=2006-07-25T151913Z_01_N25297455_RTRUKOC_0_US-IRAQ-MALIKI-CONGRESS.xml)

boutons_
07-26-2006, 08:21 AM
Rove probably told Maliki what to say against Israel so the Repugs could claim, and probably will claim, that Iraq is now a strong, independent democratic country, thanks to the Repugs, with its own set of interests and objectives that may not always align with those of the USA, rather than flea-bitten, tick-ravaged, infected, mange-y, stinking US lap-dog near death.

cheguevara
07-26-2006, 08:46 AM
He should be keeping his fucking mouth shut since he has failed to secure his own capital.

The almighty USA has failed to secure Baghdad. U think this loser ever had a chance?? :lol

jochhejaam
07-26-2006, 08:10 PM
Howard Dean, et al, weigh in on the matter;

Dean Calls Iraqi Prime Minister Anti-Semite
Wednesday, July 26, 2006

WASHINGTON — Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean on Wednesday called Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki an "anti-Semite" and criticized President Bush for inviting the newly-elected leader of Iraq to the United States.

"The president made a big deal about bringing the Iraqi prime minister to address Congress and met with him yesterday. The Iraqi prime minister is an anti-Semite. We don't need to spend $200 and $300 and $500 billion dollars bringing democracy to Iraq to turn it over to people who believe Israel doesn't have the right to defend itself and to refuse to condemn Hezbollah," Dean told the Democratic Professionals Forum in West Palm Beach, Fla.

Dean's comments ramped up three days of complaints that seemed to be dying down after al-Maliki's address to a joint meeting of Congress on Wednesday. The prime minister, invited to speak to the body by House Speaker Dennis Hastert, tried to build fading support for the ongoing U.S. military commitment in Iraq. His speech came during his first trip to Washington since becoming prime minister two months ago.

Frankly, I've been in politics some 40 years and I've met a lot of politicians, and I think those of you who have followed me know I don't get into a lot of partisanship. But I dismiss Howard Dean. He's a disappointment, I think, even to some Democrats," Warner said.

"These are tough times and it requires tough talk and also honest appraisal of situations, and I think the Maliki visit points out problems that need to be faced in the future, immediate future," he continued. "But I come back time and time again, what is the alternative if we were to not continue to support the Iraqi people in achieving their measure of democracy and freedom? What signal would then be sent into that area of the world? ... That signal would certainly benefit the terrorists if we were to, in any way, become less than fully committed to work this out."

Al-Maliki's appearance had been protested by several congressional Democrats who said the prime minister's recent remarks about "Israeli aggression" demonstrated that he is out of sync with U.S. foreign policy goals. About a dozen Democratic lawmakers from the House and Senate boycotted the speech, citing al-Maliki's refusal to condemn the terror group that is currently fighting Israel in southern Lebanon.

"We understand that the prime minister has to say political things, but the long-term here is that if you mollycoddle terrorists, you give them license to continue," said Rep. Gary Ackerman, D-N.Y. "Hezbollah's function is to destroy and eliminate the state of Israel. They and their ilk would then have as their goal the destruction of all secular society throughout the region. And that is not the hand he should be strengthening long-term."

Sens. Charles Schumer of New York and Barbara Boxer of California also did not attend, demonstrating their disapproval of al-Maliki's remarks on the conflict between Israel and Hezbollah and his ongoing reliance on U.S. soldiers to quell a simmering internal war in Iraq.

"Maliki did not denounce Hezbollah, a terrorist organization or repudiate amnesty for Iraqis who killed Americans soldiers. Therefore, I won't be attending,” Schumer said.

"I am not ready to honor Prime Minister al-Maliki in the chamber of the House of Representatives until I have some very serious questions answered by him," Boxer said in a statement. "When will he be able to take over the security of his own country so that American soldiers may leave?

Al-Maliki, a Shiite Muslim, was quoted in The New York Times and other publications last week as saying Israel was the aggressor in the Mideast conflict with Hezbollah, the Iranian- and Syrian-backed terror group that has been launching rockets from southern Lebanon. The ongoing conflict began two weeks ago when Hezbollah terrorists crossed the northern Israeli border, kidnapped two soldiers and killed three others.

"The Israeli attacks and airstrikes are completely destroying Lebanon’s infrastructure,” al-Maliki is quoted as saying during a news conference in Baghdad. “I condemn these aggressions and call on the Arab League foreign ministers’ meeting in Cairo to take quick action to stop these aggressions. We call on the world to take quick stands to stop the Israeli aggression.”

During breakfast with congressional leaders Wednesday, al-Maliki said he didn’t support any terrorist group. He repeated that statement during his speech.

But Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill., speaking after the address, said he asked al-Maliki directly if he believes Hezbollah is a terrorist organization, and the prime minister wouldn't respond, and furthermore, questioned Durbin's right to ask him the question.

"I said, you raised criticism of Israel in this conflict, I think it is logical, it is reasonable to ask him what is your impression of their enemy in this struggle, Hezbollah. He still refused to reply to that," Durbin said.

Durbin also brought up comments by Iraqi Parliament Speaker Mahmoud al-Mashhadani, who was quoted last week saying that Jews are to blame for all of Iraq's problems.

Durbin said Mashhadani said "outrageous things, not only about Israel and Jewish people, but even about America.

"To have a leader in the government so critical of the United States, which has given so much in defense of democracy in Iraq, is troubling," he added.

"We kept pressing and he kept sidestepping," Ackerman said of the breakfast. "He refused to say the things we needed him to say."

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi also said she was not satisfied with al-Maliki's response to questions about his support for Hezbollah.

"During his address, Prime Minister Maliki spoke with conviction about 'the terrorists who are falsely claiming to be speaking for Islam and Muslims.' He missed an opportunity to single out groups fitting that description, such as Hamas and Hezbollah, and condemn their activities. If defeating terrorism is indeed the duty of all of us, as the prime minister proclaimed, the road to victory starts with identifying the enemy," Pelosi, D-Calif., said in a statement.

Crediting al-Maliki for his "personal courage and obvious commitment" to improving the lives of Iraqis, Pelosi added that he seems in denial about the gravity of the conflict in Iraq.

"For the most part, the violence is perpetrated by Iraqis against Iraqis. That is the reality and it is hard to find a reason for optimism in it," she said.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,205819,00.html

Ocotillo
07-26-2006, 08:14 PM
Purple fingers baby.

Obstructed_View
07-27-2006, 12:18 AM

What do you think about that shit, Bush?

I'm not sure why you would expect a muslim to express any support for Israel. It's just not going to happen. If you think the US is looking for a Muslim that will do that you are as stupid as the congressmen that are making political hay out of something they already knew just to undermine support for the troops in Iraq, and you are eating that particular dick sandwich with gusto. If you are implying that none of the muslims are worth fighting for and we shouldn't have any faith that they can run a democratic country then welcome to the fight, because it's going to be a long one. I have a feeling you and your ilk lack the stomach for it, as you do with any fight that doesn't involve heaving insults from a safe distance.

ChumpDumper
07-27-2006, 03:39 AM
If you are implying that none of the muslims are worth fighting for and we shouldn't have any faith that they can run a democratic country then welcome to the fight, because it's going to be a long one. I have a feeling you and your ilk lack the stomach for it, as you do with any fight that doesn't involve heaving insults from a safe distance.Do you think they are worth it?

Ya Vez
07-27-2006, 03:40 PM
hell the left has been probably about the same or even worse than the Iraqi PM..

The Nation
editorial | posted July 14, 2006 (web only)
Too High a Price

SUBSCRIBE TO THE NATION
With the spreading violence in Lebanon and Gaza, the Israeli doctrine of absolute security and massive retaliation--the notion that any attack or threat of attack on Israel will be met with a disproportionate response--is again proving counterproductive to Israel's own security as well as to the larger stability of the region. It makes no sense for Israel to destroy the civil infrastructure of the Palestinians and of Lebanon in response to the kidnapping of its soldiers, or to further weaken the capacity of the governments of Lebanon and the Palestinian Authority while at the same trying to hold them accountable for the actions of groups and militias they cannot reasonably control. This collective punishment of the Palestinian and Lebanese people is not only inhumane and should be condemned but also leads to more radicalization and to more chaos.