PDA

View Full Version : Fiorentino, Lazio restored to Serie A; Juventus has points penalty reduced

resistanze
07-25-2006, 04:51 PM
Ariel David, Canadian Press
Published: Tuesday, July 25, 2006

ROME (AP) - Fiorentina and Lazio were allowed back in Italy's top soccer division, while Juventus had its points penalty in Serie B cut nearly in half Tuesday after successful appeals in the country's match-fixing scandal.

AC Milan also had its points penalty in Serie A cut from 15 to eight. Juventus went from 30 to 17. Fiorentina will have 19 points docked next season, while Lazio will be deducted 11.

The sports court also upheld the earlier July 14 ruling stripping Juventus of its last two Serie A titles. But Milan will be allowed to play in the Champions League preliminary rounds this season.

Five-year bans for former Juventus executives Luciano Moggi and Antonio Giraudo - the figures at the centre of the scandal - were upheld.

Hundreds of Lazio fans outside the hotel where the verdicts were delivered screamed in delight at the news their team was back in Serie A. Minutes later, they scattered when a sudden thunderstorm drenched them.

In the earlier ruling, Fiorentina was sent down to Serie B and given a 12-point penalty to start next season, while Lazio was originally supposed to start the new season in Serie B with a seven point penalty.

All the clubs appealed, seeking lighter penalties.

Juventus claimed the sanctions were excessive. AC Milan argued that its Champions League ban was unlawful.

AC Milan owner, billionaire businessman and former premier Silvio Berlusconi, was still complaining even though the point penalty was softened.

"I called Berlusconi to have confirmation we were in the Champions League and he told me that in his judgment injustice remains because Milan didn't do anything," Roberto Maroni, a former minister and political ally of Berlusconi, told ANSA news agency.

Soccer federation prosecutor Stefano Palazzi argued for even tougher punishment. Palazzi called for Juventus to be demoted to Serie C; Milan, Fiorentina and Lazio demoted to Serie B with three-point deductions for Milan and 15 each for Lazio and Fiorentina.

With the verdicts still being deliberated, UEFA said Tuesday it granted the Italian federation a one-day extension, to Wednesday, for submission of the Italian clubs eligible to participate in European club competitions this coming season.

The list of names is required by UEFA to complete the preparations and seeding for the draws of the Champions League third qualifying round and UEFA Cup second qualifying round. The draws take place Friday at UEFA headquarters in Nyon, Switzerland.

Several Serie A soccer stars - including Italy and Fiorentina striker Luca Toni and Brazil and Milan playmaker Kaka - are expected to make decisions about their club futures based on the outcome of the trial.

Separately, prosecutors in Rome, Naples, Parma and Turin are conducting criminal probes into alleged sports fraud, illegal betting and false bookkeeping.
© The Canadian Press 2006

SAtown
07-26-2006, 03:26 PM
Funny because I heard before the World Cup that if Italy won the World Cup, they would pardon everyone involved. Good incentive

Texas_Ranger
07-27-2006, 03:33 AM
That is great, because I`m an Inter fan, and now Inter is 04/05 Italy champion, 04/05 Italy Cup champion and 04/05 Supercup champion.

velik_m
07-27-2006, 03:38 AM
That is great, because I`m an Inter fan, and now Inter is 04/05 Italy champion, 04/05 Italy Cup champion and 04/05 Supercup champion.

They already aranged it?

resistanze
07-27-2006, 12:31 PM
They've won the 2005/06 Title, that I know for sure. I don't know about the rest.

I'm also an Inter fan, and cringed everythime AC Milan kicked Inter's ass for the past 2-3 years.