PDA

View Full Version : PartyPoker secretely raising the rake (AKA scamming people)

Phil Hellmuth
07-25-2006, 07:38 PM
http://www.partypoker.com/monster/whatis.html

anyway, this sucks for lower limit people.

how are you supposed to beat the game of poker when party takes 50 cents from every pot.

i think they will lose a lot of volume customers.

MannyIsGod
07-25-2006, 07:52 PM
They aren't keeping the money. They are redistributing it through a bad beat jackpot and a freeroll scheme.

There's a huge discussin on it at 2+2 and I think it is incredibly shitty. They don't plan on putting it into effect for the NL25/NL50 tables though, so it won't make a huge impact there.

However, I played the NL100 tables there and for a person who plays 40k hands and wins at a 10/100 BB rate you stand to lose close to 2 thousand dollars a month. 2 fucking grand taking away from your pots and redistributed to a bad beat jackpot and a retarded freeroll scheme. If I still played there I would have immediatly withdrawn my money and moved it to a different site, because I don't hate money enough to just give away 2 grand a month.

The casual player won't give a shit. They love jackpots and huge money freerolls so they'll eat this up. The casual players outnumber the volume players by a huge margin so it is good business for Party Poker but bad for pros.

There is a positive expected value effect of playing at a table with a huge bad beat jackpot that counteracts the additional rake for limit players, but that edge is far less if it even exists for NL players because there are way less hands that ever make it to a showdown. The less hands you have at a showdown the less chance you'll ever have of meeting that jackpot's requirements. So even if there is a positive EV effect on things, the variance involved is quite large and I'd hate to even think about what kind of hand sample size you would have to achieve in order to actually be able to see it play out.

Welfare King
07-25-2006, 08:06 PM
does that site take LoneStar?

TheSanityAnnex
07-25-2006, 08:12 PM
Is this new rake system going to be going on at all tables? or just the monster tables? I noticed the monster shit today when I logged in.

MannyIsGod
07-25-2006, 08:24 PM
Just the monster tables.

BIG IRISH
07-25-2006, 08:31 PM
Manny

Bitching again ?????

TheSanityAnnex
07-25-2006, 08:33 PM
Just the monster tables.
So if I simply avoid them, I'm fine?

And thanks for the heads up guys.