PDA

View Full Version : SANDBAGGERS !!!

Wolves009
08-23-2004, 04:16 PM
I find it very intriguing that Argentina lost to Italy today , 76-75. The obvious reason - to avoid the US in the quarterfinals. I can't believe they would want to avoid an obvious underdog. They could've beaten the US. This has conspiracy written all over it.

:rolleyes

Spurs fans obviously want a USA vs. Argentina gold medal game but , this is very unlikely.

I hope the US will face ITALY. Can U say Giacomo Galanda? :elephant

Eggkiller
08-23-2004, 04:30 PM
USA is no obvious underdog...
USA is the sleeping giant..

ask an argentinian, spaniard or lithuanian who they want to face...

they will tell you: puerto rico or greece...

Fizzzar
08-23-2004, 04:47 PM
I'm happy we lost, but anyone who saw the end of the game knows both Argentina and Italy wanted the win.

EMVEEPEE
08-23-2004, 05:54 PM
# Italy, Spain and China win: In this case there would have a tie between Italy and Argentina (the Italians would finish higher after their victory over Argentina) and China. would take fourth place after their win against Serbia & Montenegro The final standings would be: 1. Spain, 2. Italy, 3. Argentina, 4. China (qualify in the quarterfinals) 5. New Zealand 6. Serbia & Montenegro.

This scenario looks set.

adonis50
08-23-2004, 06:04 PM
Lithuania vs China
Spain vs USA
Greece vs ARG
Italy vs PUR
Good stuff.

EMVEEPEE
08-23-2004, 06:20 PM
# Greece wins by more than 13 points and USA win: In this case there would be a triple tie between Puerto Rico, Greece and USA. The three teams have the same record of one win and one loss against one another, so the head to head is taken into consideration. The results are: PUR-USA 92-73, GRE-USA 71-76. If Greece beats Puerto Rico by more than 13 points, their points difference would be better than the two other teams (Greece +7, Puerto Rico +6, USA –13). Therefore the final standings would be, 1.Lithuania 2. Greece 3.Puerto Rico 4. USA 4th.

This scenario looks set too.

Gooshie34
08-23-2004, 06:26 PM
Talk about tank jobs - Puerto Rico also pulled one against Greece. All P.R. had to do was to win or not lose by more than 13 points to the home team to clinch 2nd place in Group B. But.....that would have guaranteed a 1st round match-up w/ Argentina. So, they lost on purpose to the Grecians, and now they get Italy in the first round.

All 3 teams the US lost to this year are in the other bracket, interestingly enough. They will have to go through Spain, Argentina, and then most likely Lithuania for the Gold. Wow.

gospurs21
08-24-2004, 01:18 PM
the only tank jobs I saw this year was

wolves tanking against lakers
lakers tanking against pistons
both in the playoffs

both were quite enjoyable

asterix1999
08-24-2004, 01:49 PM
The US will be eliminated by Spain this thursday, stop talking about gold medals, they won't even make the medal round, sad but true.

E20
08-24-2004, 01:53 PM
OK, Miss Cleo whatever you say.