PDA

View Full Version : Iverson no longer to be traded

T-Pain
07-25-2006, 10:17 PM
ESPN.com

In a summer filled with NBA wheelings and dealings, many expected Allen Iverson to headline the list of players to change jerseys. To the comfort of many Sixer fans, it looks like that expectation will not be met.

Team president and general manager Billy King said Tuesday that he no longer expects to deal his All-Star point guard, and that keeping Iverson gives Philly the best chance to win.

"I fully expect Allen will be suiting up with us next season," King told the Philadelphia Daily News. "Allen and I have talked about it, and he wants to be here and is excited to be playing for us."

King admitted to the newspaper that he is "still working the phones, talking to people [about prospective deals]."

"We're trying to do what's best to make us a better ballclub," he said. "That's not including Allen in our discussions."

Earlier this month, Iverson expressed his desire to remain with the club that drafted him No. 1 overall in 1996 -- if the team wanted him.

"I want to be a Sixer, I have said that since Day 1," Iverson said at a news conference at the time to promote his annual charity softball event. "But if I am not wanted, then I definitely don't want to be a Sixer and I am willing to start my career all over."

Iverson has played all 10 of his NBA seasons in Philadelphia. In 2005-06, the 31-year-old Iverson averaged a career-high 33.0 points per game and made his seventh All-Star team, but the Sixers struggled down the stretch and finished two games out of the playoffs.

"It's a business. I have some value," Iverson said earlier in July. "We didn't make the playoffs last year, and when something like that happens, you feel like you got to do something. I don't know why it has to be me, but I guess I have that type of value."

I say we make a run at him! :lol

REDLION#22
07-25-2006, 10:20 PM
The last few summers have been the same"iverson will be traded"and stuff but in the end his heart remains in philly.

furry_spurry
07-26-2006, 12:12 AM
Guess no 7 team trade after all. :lol

Beer is Good
07-26-2006, 12:22 AM
no trade

Rip-Hamilton32
07-26-2006, 12:36 AM
lol i doubt he'll ever sign with a contender with the cap he would take up

NBA Junkie
07-26-2006, 01:37 AM
Hardly surprising, considering the best deal was supposedly a injury riddled Corey Maggette and an unproven potential player in Shaun Livingston from the Clippers.

The Celtic deal was supposely dead after they were unable to guarantee that Randy Foye would still be on the board at #7.

FWIW, Foye did go #7, but only after that pick was traded to Portland. Had the Cetics kept that pick, the Timberwolves would have chosen Foye at #6, instead of working out a Brandon Roy for Foye deal on draft night with Portland.

NBA Junkie
07-26-2006, 02:03 AM
Wait what? When was that Clippers deal mentioned? Livingston is going to be a stud. The Clips would not do that trade.

That rumor was all over the internet last week. Depending on who you ask, the Clippers were contemplating that deal, but may have backed down for fear that it would ruin team chemistry.

I'm not so sure about Livingston being a stud. I think the comparisons to Jason Kidd are ridiculous. If Livingston has so much stardom written all over him, then why would the Clips re-up with Sam Cassell for two more years? By the time, Livingston is "ready" he may bolt since he didn't get the PT in Clipperland.

1Parker1
07-26-2006, 09:01 AM
:lol Billy King decided to take his name off the trading block because no teams were seriously inteterested other than division rival Boston...and they didn't really have anyone good to return for him.

Props to AI for his loyalty and keeping cool during all these trade rumor times. The Sixers may suck ass year in and year out, but he's the only reason that Arena gets packed during the NBA season, and at least he's saying he still wants to stay after everything.

Personally, it's not AI's fault at all that the Sixers suck. I blame Billy King who's running closely behind Isiah as one of the worst GM's in the league. How do you not surround a guy like AI with better players after 10 years?

ShoogarBear
07-26-2006, 10:20 AM
AI out of Philly would just be wrong.

I'm probably the only person who remembers that the Sixers tried to trade Dr. J to Utah at the end of his career. That would have been a sin.