PDA

View Full Version : Alexis Wangmene

Kori Ellis
07-26-2006, 08:32 AM
No one can sell Alexis Wangeme short of working hard. The big man for the San Antonio Spurs brought his hard hat with him to Vegas. He efforted himself to 27 points in a tournament ending defeat to the H-Squad. The chiseled power forward is headed to Blair Academy this fall and he could very well show up there as a committed man.

For those of you who don't know who he is. He's the highschool kid that RC Buford adopted a couple seasons ago. I just think it's funny that this article accidentally put "for the San Antonio Spurs" about him. :lmao

Anyway, it's interesting that he's transferring from Central Catholic (here in San Antonio) to Blair Academy. I think Blair Academy is in New Jersey.

The 27 points in the tournament they are talking about is the Reebok Big Time Tournament that was in Las Vegas.

timvp
07-26-2006, 08:34 AM
RC needs to lock this kid in his basement and then the Spurs can pick him in the second round next year.

Knowing the Spurs though, they'd probably lose him to Europe for the next half decade.

Solid D
07-26-2006, 08:36 AM
I think I read somewhere that Alexis was thinking about going to college at KU and playing basketball under Bill Self. Is that accurate?

(sp. Wangmene)

Kori Ellis
07-26-2006, 08:39 AM
There's an interview with him on Rivals, but you have to pay to read it.

I'm not willing to do that.

boutons_
07-26-2006, 08:39 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/highschool/07/09/abcd.saturday/index.html

"One of the most interesting players in high school basketball is in attendance at ABCD and making his presence felt. Alexis Wangmene, an underrated and tough 6-foot-8 rising senior big man out of Central Catholic (San Antonio, Texas), has been playing extremely well, scoring 18 points and grabbing seven rebounds in the day session on Saturday. But here's the interesting part of Wangmene's story: None of this would have been possible if the native of Cameroon hadn't been discovered by San Antonio Spurs general manager R.C. Buford while playing in South Africa and brought over to the United States. "He's basically my dad," said Wangmene of Buford, who has had an eye for foreign talent with the Spurs. "This is the best thing to happen to me in my life." Wangmene, whose stock should rise with his play this week, said he won't be back at Central Catholic next year and is in the process of looking for a prep school."

I heart from some of my CCHS friends that he was thinking about Alamo Heights as a big school with more exposure and so he could stay near Buford, but it sounds like he's aiming for a "sports academy", one of those basketball factories masquerading as secondary schools.

Kori Ellis
07-26-2006, 08:41 AM
Alexis Wangmene dominated the San Antonio area as a junior playing for Central Catholic. The 6-foot-8, 232-pound power forward will be taking his warrior mentality to the East Coast as a senior enrolling at Blair Academy. With one decision out of the way, Wangmene will now focus on picking a college destination.

I didn't know he had bulked up. I thought he was around 215.

timvp
07-26-2006, 08:44 AM
I think I read somewhere that Alex was thinking about going to college at KU and playing basketball under Bill Self. Is that accurate?

Could be. RC played high school basketball in Kansas and was an assistant coach at KU for like five years. So the ties are there.

I'd guess that Arizona could be a place for him. The Spurs always gush about how well coached players who play for Lute Olson are when they come to the NBA.

Kori Ellis
07-26-2006, 08:52 AM
Alexis Wangmene, the adopted son of San Antonio Spurs general manager R.C. Buford, said he was not sure who has offered him, but he did list Texas, Florida, Texas A&M, Miami, Virginia, Virginia Tech and Vanderbilt as schools of interest.

Kori Ellis
07-26-2006, 08:54 AM
Alexis Wangeme
Schools of Interest
Florida
Miami-FL
Texas
Texas A&M
Vanderbilt
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest

timvp
07-26-2006, 08:55 AM
I heart from some of my CCHS friends that he was thinking about Alamo Heights as a big school with more exposure and so he could stay near Buford, but it sounds like he's aiming for a "sports academy", one of those basketball factories masquerading as secondary schools.

Yeah Alamo Heights isn't exaclty a hotbed for basketball :lol

San Antonio as a hole is not a place for a basketball prospect.

Kori Ellis
07-26-2006, 08:56 AM
http://vmedia.rivals.com/IMAGES/PROSPECT/PHOTO/ALEXISWANGMENE200_2.JPG

http://vmedia.rivals.com/IMAGES/PROSPECT/PHOTO/ALEXISWANGMENE6_8200.JPG:lol

Spurs R Us
07-26-2006, 08:56 AM
Damn, that sucks for my alama mater that we are going to lose him to prep school.
Oh well, hope he succedes at the prep school.

Mr. Body
07-26-2006, 09:02 AM
Any more information about his background? Did he leave his own family behind in Cameroon or is he an orphan?

TDMVPDPOY
07-26-2006, 09:19 AM
jersey no.118?

this kid > ian mahinmi, seriously if this guy can put on 18pounds, i dont see why ian cant put on a few pounds.

George Gervin's Afro
07-26-2006, 09:24 AM
CCMHS Class of 1987..

I almost got to play footbal with Ty Detmer and basket ball with Shaquille O'Neal

Ty's dad was the football coach at Central and he left the year before my freshman year. Shaq narrowed his choices down to Central and Cole..

Anyway I interecepted one of Ty's passes my senior yr and took it back to the house.. ! of course we still lost 35-14..I can tell my son I intercepted , at the time, the most prolific passer in TX highschool history and future Heisman trophy winner..

George Gervin's Afro
07-26-2006, 09:26 AM
Damn, that sucks for my alama mater that we are going to lose him to prep school.
Oh well, hope he succedes at the prep school.

what yr did you graduate?

TDMVPDPOY
07-26-2006, 09:32 AM
he plays pf? :( undersized....still looks built like lebron in hs

boutons_
07-26-2006, 09:32 AM
"San Antonio as a hole is not a place for a basketball prospect."

agreed.

I don't understand RC parking Alexis at CCHS in the first place. CCHS was an SA and TX basketball powerhouse in the 1960s (118 - 22 from '64 to '67), but that's long gone. CCHS is a good academic school, but Alexis is obviously not on an academic track. :)

George Gervin's Afro
07-26-2006, 09:33 AM
SA is not a place for division 1 prospects of any kind in any sport.

Mr. Body
07-26-2006, 09:44 AM
"San Antonio as a hole is not a place for a basketball prospect."

agreed.

I don't understand RC parking Alexis at CCHS in the first place. CCHS was an SA and TX basketball powerhouse in the 1960s (118 - 22 from '64 to '67), but that's long gone. CCHS is a good academic school, but Alexis is obviously not on an academic track. :)

Maybe he wanted to give him the structure of a family home in the US before throwing him to the agents and wolves surrounding sports academies.

johngateswhiteley
07-26-2006, 09:46 AM
Yeah Alamo Heights isn't exaclty a hotbed for basketball :lol

San Antonio as a hole is not a place for a basketball prospect.

...i agree with the comment about San Antonio as a hole. but Alamo Heights (my school) has always had a wonderful bball team and would be a huge step up from CC. that being said, however, him going to the east coast is probably best.

when i was there i think we went to state twice in bball. although, i don't think i know of anyone in the last 10 years that did much @ the college level...

GO MULES!!

MajorMike
07-26-2006, 09:48 AM
He already has offers from UT, Wake, Fla, and UVa.

http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/902/372539.jpg

Alexis Wangmene dominated the San Antonio area as a junior at Central Catholic, averaging 22.7 points, 11.1 rebounds and seven blocked shots per game. Beginning in August, the 2007 big man will be enrolling at Blair Academy in Blairstown, New Jersey. It is a move that Wangmene is excited about heading into his senior season.

Alexis Wangmene is looking to commit in August or September.
"My goal is to have a great season on the court," Wangmene said. "I did a good job in school last year. I want to have a great year in both this year."

Wangmene, who is the No. 74-ranked prospect in the 2007 class, knows to have a great senior season he has to continue to improve his skill set. He knows to have a dominant senior season, he has to improve his offensive abilities in the post and facing the basket. The 6-foot-8, 232-pound big man says hard work has paid off.

"I have improved a lot from the outside (facing the basket). I'm trying to improve my post up moves. I'm working on foot work," Wangmene said.

His improved comfort on the court to go with the toughness and athleticism he already possessed has major programs from around the country hoping to gain a commitment from the long-armed power forward. Wangmene took in the Texas Elite Camp and the Florida Elite Camp in June and left his mark. While Texas had offered before their camp, a strong performance at the Florida Elite Camp was followed with an offer from Billy Donovan.

With offers from Virginia, Texas, Wake Forest and Florida on the table among others, Wangmene will get the chance to realize a goal that he set out to accomplish a few months ago in playing college basketball in a major conference. He has been consistent in that goal for close to year.

"Like I said before, I want to play college basketball at an ACC, Big 12, SEC or Big 10 school. That has been my goal for a while," Wangmene said.

One school on his list is the Texas Longhorns. Wangmene said his familiarity with the program and the coaching staff is among the things he likes about the Texas program.

"They have a great coach," Wangmene said. "I know a lot of the guys on the team and feel comfortable around them. I am familiar with Texas and like them"

At on point, Wangmene thought he would not make a commitment until after his senior season. The plan has changed and a decision could be made as soon as August. When it comes to commitment time, academics and winning are at the top of the list.

"I will probably make my decision at the start of the school year, probably in August or September. My decision will come down to great academic programs and people that are serious about what they are doing. I want to go to a great academic university and win," Wangmene said.

TDMVPDPOY
07-26-2006, 10:10 AM
i bet yah he gets RC to do his homework/assignments, who delegates it to CIA pop, WHO delegates it to the smartarses on the spurs team.....

Spurologist
07-26-2006, 10:24 AM
"None of this would have been possible if the native of Cameroon hadn't been discovered by San Antonio Spurs general manager R.C. Buford while playing in South Africa and brought over to the United States."

Cameroon in da house. My country has talent. I am defintately in favor of timvp's idea of locking him up till the draft.

YamaSama
07-26-2006, 10:28 AM
Man, this is weird - a thread that discusses the merits of my old team, the Mules.
Yeah, you guys are probably right - Alamo Heights probably wouldn't be the best place for him to develop - the best players at Heights (in recent years) have played at Texas State and A&M Kingsville, and one guy currently warms the bench for OU.
I graduated from Heights in '02 - maybe I know some of you other alums.

Doug Collins
07-26-2006, 10:47 AM
I'm happy he's transferring cause hopefully now I will remain the only "Alexis" ever to graduate from Central Catholic (Class of 2002). :elephant :spin :smokin

MajorMike
07-26-2006, 10:47 AM
and one guy currently warms the bench for OU.

No offense... but if he's gonna warm the bench for uo this year, then he prolly SHOULD have gone to CC or Kings'vle

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
07-26-2006, 10:56 AM

I'm sure that living with an NBA gm must be horrible for a prospect.

Kori Ellis
07-26-2006, 11:05 AM
he plays pf? :( undersized....still looks built like lebron in hs

He's 17. I don't think 6'8, 230 is undersized for that age. :lol

picnroll
07-26-2006, 11:10 AM
Duncan can't get him to sign with Wake? Disgraceful.

stu scotts eye
07-26-2006, 11:31 AM
I'm happy he's transferring cause hopefully now I will remain the only "Alexis" ever to graduate from Central Catholic (Class of 2002). :elephant :spin :smokin

redface, is that you? im from the grad class of 02...

FromWayDowntown
07-26-2006, 11:37 AM
He'll do well to go to Blair. I had a couple of friends my freshman year in college who were graduates of Blair -- one played basketball at Columbia, but had been a deep reserve on Blair's team the year before.

I've spent more days of my life in football training at Blair than I care to count.

I'm certain that he'll have little to do there but study and work on his game.

wildbill2u
07-26-2006, 12:01 PM

Somebody forgot to tell Tommy Nobis, that KC running back(forget his name), and Warren McVey, among others who went on to professional stardom in football.

And there have been tons more who've played at the top rank universities in football.

I have to admit we're a little shy in basketball, but Shaq and Najera come to mind.

George Gervin's Afro
07-26-2006, 12:06 PM
Somebody forgot to tell Tommy Nobis, that KC running back(forget his name), and Warren McVey, among others who went on to professional stardom in football.

And there have been tons more who've played at the top rank universities in football.

I have to admit we're a little shy in basketball, but Shaq and Najera come to mind.

In comparison to other cities in Texas.. sheesh can you find anyone as an example from the last couple of decades? I am from SA but we have nothing compared to houston and dallas.. Anthony "Priest" Holmes didn't even start for UT

Doug Collins
07-26-2006, 12:11 PM
:oops

Solid D
07-26-2006, 12:12 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_jeff_foster.jpg

Manuismyhomeboy
07-26-2006, 12:46 PM
Future long 3 of the future(after college that is)?

CaptainLate
07-26-2006, 01:02 PM

I had parochial school friends who played under Joe Cortez. Who's the CCHS basketball coach now?

CaptainLate
07-26-2006, 01:04 PM

Don't forget Tommy Kramer (Lee HS and Minnesota Vikings QB) and Guido Merkens (Edison HS and various NFL teams)

FromWayDowntown
07-26-2006, 01:09 PM
In comparison to other cities in Texas.. sheesh can you find anyone as an example from the last couple of decades? I am from SA but we have nothing compared to houston and dallas.. Anthony "Priest" Holmes didn't even start for UT

Dude's name is actually Priest Anthony Holmes -- Priest isn't a nickname.

You're right that the depth of the talent pool in SA isn't great -- but relative to the number of high schools in Greater Houston or Greater Dallas, the number of prospects is closer on a proportionate basis than you might think. That also doesn't mean that SA fails to produce college prospects who perform on the D-1 level. That they don't end up with professional careers is something else entirely -- there are plenty of guys who are extremely successful in college who lack some physical attribute that keeps them from playing professionally. Ski Jones from Marshall played well at K-State in the 90's and holds the NIT single-game scoring record with 62, but he was never going to play for long in the NBA because he lacked the size to do so. Doesn't mean he wasn't a great high school player or a very good college player, though.

Doug Collins
07-26-2006, 01:10 PM
I had parochial school friends who played under Joe Cortez. Who's the CCHS basketball coach now?

Coach Ybarra was the coach when I graduated (2002) and I assume he still is.

Solid D
07-26-2006, 01:12 PM
The Buffalo Bills had a couple of players from San Antonio. John Hagee (Marshall) and Alex Van Pelt (Churchill)

MajorMike
07-26-2006, 01:16 PM
Van Pelt was dern good.

Solid D
07-26-2006, 01:21 PM
I'm trying to think of some more but these go back a couple of decades:
Fennis Dembo - Pistons for a cup of coffee
Keith Edmondson - Atlanda Hawks
Gabe Rivera - Pittsburgh Steelers before he was paralyzed in a car wreck

YamaSama
07-26-2006, 01:36 PM
Bo Outlaw played at Jay
Oh yeah... Devin Brown, West Campus

FromWayDowntown
07-26-2006, 01:41 PM
The Buffalo Bills had a couple of players from San Antonio. John Hagee (Marshall) and Alex Van Pelt (Churchill)

John Hagy -- lest their be any confusion.

I can think of a number of San Antonians who've played in the NFL since about 1990:

John Hagy - Marshall
Cody Carlson - Churchill
Ty Detmer - Southwest
Keith Cash - Holmes
Kerry Cash - Holmes
Tony Darden - Holmes
Sammy Morris - Jay
Chris Bordano - Southwest
Priest Holmes - Marshall
N.D. Kalu - Marshall
Ronald Flemons - Marshall
Wane McGarity - Clark
A.J. Johnson - Clemens
Erik Flowers - Roosevelt
Dwayne Missouri - Roosevelt
Alex Van Pelt - Churchill
Corey Sears - Judson
Eric Brown - Judson
Mitchell Price - Madison

I'm sure I'm missing more (probably some who are quite obvious {Edit: Cedric Griffin was drafted in the 2nd round by Minnesota and will very likely join this list come 9/10/06}). That list omits a number of players who were fine collegiate players, but just didn't quite move beyond that level -- players like Greg Schorp (Churchill/Texas A&M), Mike Hendricks (Judson/Texas A&M), and Johnny Walker (Holmes/Texas) immediately come to mind for me. I'm sure there are others who should be on that list as well.

Phenomanul
07-26-2006, 01:57 PM
If you include Austin, then you could include guys like:

Drew Brees...

Doug Collins
07-26-2006, 01:59 PM

Filip?

stu scotts eye
07-26-2006, 02:21 PM
Filip?

indeed :monkey

Doug Collins
07-26-2006, 02:26 PM
indeed :monkey
:guin

Kori Ellis
07-26-2006, 02:27 PM
Did you guys just have some sort of reunion?

Or do you just like animal emoticons?

Doug Collins
07-26-2006, 02:28 PM
Did you guys just have some sort of reunion?

Or do you just like animal emoticons?

Both

Kori Ellis
07-26-2006, 02:29 PM
Both

Well that's good.

No one ever makes good use of that penguin, so I'm glad you did.

implacable44
07-26-2006, 02:50 PM
John Hagy -- lest their be any confusion.

I can think of a number of San Antonians who've played in the NFL since about 1990:

John Hagy - Marshall
Cody Carlson - Churchill
Ty Detmer - Southwest
Keith Cash - Holmes
Kerry Cash - Holmes
Tony Darden - Holmes
Sammy Morris - Jay
Chris Bordano - Southwest
Priest Holmes - Marshall
N.D. Kalu - Marshall
Ronald Flemons - Marshall
Wane McGarity - Clark
A.J. Johnson - Clemens
Erik Flowers - Roosevelt
Dwayne Missouri - Roosevelt
Alex Van Pelt - Churchill
Corey Sears - Judson
Eric Brown - Judson
Mitchell Price - Madison

I'm sure I'm missing more (probably some who are quite obvious {Edit: Cedric Griffin was drafted in the 2nd round by Minnesota and will very likely join this list come 9/10/06}). That list omits a number of players who were fine collegiate players, but just didn't quite move beyond that level -- players like Greg Schorp (Churchill/Texas A&M), Mike Hendricks (Judson/Texas A&M), and Johnny Walker (Holmes/Texas) immediately come to mind for me. I'm sure there are others who should be on that list as well.

derwin gray played in the NFL - college players - jerrod douglas , darnell stephens, Earl Kaufmann, BRent MCcollum, who was that QB from roosevelt that played at Notre Dame ?...Brock Stratton for TTech,

in basketball - artie griffin played collegiately at Alabama and in the NBDL , CBA and other leagues for years - he was MVP once or twice, Bo Outlaw was mentioined, Shaq (cole), Robert Reed from Clemens, Fennis Dembo, all played in the NBA -

Jerald Reiner played semi-pro and had several try outs with pro teams. Dwight Govan (roosevelt) led the nation in scoring when he was in college
Roger Favela ( Judson ) still plays profesionally overseas and for the Belize national team
Bonewitz ( EC) went to Tech and played semi-pro and had several try outs with NBA teams.
Kevin Rice and ( cant remember his name) from Sam Houston both play semi-pro ball in the NBDL, CBA and other leagues.
Damon Johnson had a nice career at A&M
Gee Gervin plays semi-pro

I am sure there are a ton more

Dingle Barry
07-26-2006, 03:02 PM
Fuck Alexis. Deprived good ole Central High of its first major collegiate prospect since Ryan "Showtime" Taylor headed north to the Dartmouth gridiron. This prep school nonsense is getting out of control. Is it not obvious that these institutions are recruiting and paying these kids and then steering them towards division 1 powerhouses that likewise give kickbacks to the prep coach. Don't even get me started about AAU. That shit is dirtier than the mob.

I wonder what goes on at the NCAA headquarters besides gang bangs and investigating football programs for such infractions as misuse of telephones. It is a total fucking joke these days.

johngateswhiteley
07-26-2006, 03:22 PM
Man, this is weird - a thread that discusses the merits of my old team, the Mules.
Yeah, you guys are probably right - Alamo Heights probably wouldn't be the best place for him to develop - the best players at Heights (in recent years) have played at Texas State and A&M Kingsville, and one guy currently warms the bench for OU.
I graduated from Heights in '02 - maybe I know some of you other alums.

right on bro. i graduated in 1999 so i may be too old for either of us to know each other, but my name is my sign in name....if that helps?

Das Texan
07-26-2006, 04:52 PM
and yet central still sucked last year.

i blame ybarra.

Doug Collins
07-26-2006, 06:50 PM
Central has been sucking a lot of things since that prick Cunningham became principal and decided to reinstitute the Inquisition upon its students.

ps We all know Ryan Morgan was our big time college prospect, Dingle Barry, not that towel-head Taylor.

stu scotts eye
07-26-2006, 08:23 PM
Central has been sucking a lot of things since that prick Cunningham became principal and decided to reinstitute the Inquisition upon its students.

ps We all know Ryan Morgan was our big time college prospect, Dingle Barry, not that towel-head Taylor.

so true so true...if you love hardcore opus dei doctrine, abstinence from all vices, and hate germs, Cunningham is the man.

PS. no he wasnt
pps. :madrun =the chapster

Doug Collins
07-26-2006, 08:43 PM
so true so true...if you love hardcore opus dei doctrine, abstinence from all vices, and hate germs, Cunningham is the man.

PS. no he wasnt

:elephant :spin :elephant

Dingle Barry
07-26-2006, 08:56 PM
Ah, yes, W. Patrick Cunningham: the germophobic zealot. Have to feel for the poor little man, terrified of both God and Science.

p.s. M. Aurelius= :domokun

Das Texan
07-26-2006, 09:05 PM

PS. no he wasnt

if thats true then wow.

Doug Collins
07-26-2006, 09:16 PM
if thats true then wow.

It is.

:vomit:

Spurs R Us
07-26-2006, 09:24 PM
what yr did you graduate?

GGA, Sorry it has taken me so long to respond.
I am Class of 88, so if you are 87, I probably know ya.

Dingle Barry
07-26-2006, 09:25 PM
This thread is certainly not helping a certain someone's crusade (beg your pardon) for posthumous NHS reinstatement. However, it pales in comparison to the infamous GigEmReggie fiasco of the early 2000s, clearly one of the greatest cybercrimes Marianistendom has ever seen.

Doug Collins
07-26-2006, 09:27 PM
This thread is certainly not helping a certain someone's crusade (beg your pardon) for posthumous NHS reinstatement. However, it pales in comparison to the infamous GigEmReggie fiasco of the early 2000s, clearly one of the greatest cybercrimes Marianistendom has ever seen.

That GigEmReggie was an asshole especially when he came back 2daxtreme. :fro

Doug Collins
07-26-2006, 09:28 PM
I miss the days of having a muppet for a principal...good ole beaker.

JMarkJohns
07-26-2006, 09:39 PM
I'd guess that Arizona could be a place for him. The Spurs always gush about how well coached players who play for Lute Olson are when they come to the NBA.

Ya hear that Iceman?

Anyways, Wangeme isn't even mentioned as a recruit of Arizona's.

Sounds like a good one. Blair Academy is where Luel Deng and Charlie Villanueva went for their senior year. It's in Jersey...

stu scotts eye
07-27-2006, 12:25 PM
Ah, yes, W. Patrick Cunningham: the germophobic zealot. Have to feel for the poor little man, terrified of both God and Science.

p.s. M. Aurelius= :domokun

You knew Marcus Auureliiuuss???? With what name are you associated with?

biba
07-27-2006, 12:49 PM
Story about a 15-yr-old 6-8 kid from Cameroon with Josh Howard's wingspan ...
--------------------------------------------

For Cameroon youth, eventful journey finds meaning in S.A.

Web Posted: 01/25/2005 12:25 AM CST

Jeff McDonald
San Antonio Express-News

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/images/storypics/0125cameroon190.jpg

In his home country of Cameroon, Alexis Mang-Ikri Wangmene always had plans for Friday night.

Alexis Mang-Ikri Wangmene, a sophomore who knew very little English a few months ago, listens to world history teacher Sherie Zachary during class at Central Catholic High School. Above, Wangmene prepares to work in his other classroom, the basketball gym.

He would come home from school, stretch his 6-foot-8 frame across the family living room and fix his gaze on the television. To him, the weekly NBA broadcasts were must-see TV.

Although the play-by-play was dubbed into Wangmene's native French, his dream was decidedly American.

"I'd listen to the commentators talk about the players," says Wangmene, a recently arrived sophomore exchange student at Central Catholic. "I wanted people to talk about me like that one day."

In late December, that dream led Wangmene to follow a bouncing ball across the Atlantic, led him to trade the only life he had known for one among strangers in a strange land.

Wangmene arrived speaking little English — no more than what he had picked up watching American basketball. Yet, Wangmene has little trouble explaining his trek from the heart of Africa to the heart of Texas in one perfect English sentence.

"I am here," he says, "because of the basketball."

Wangmene, who lives with Spurs general manager R.C. Buford and his family, enrolled at Central Catholic three weeks ago. After sitting out a league-mandated 15 school days, he will be eligible to play tonight when the Buttons play Holy Cross in a TAPPS 2-6A game at Greehey Arena. Central Catholic (13-9, 3-1 in district) is in second in the league behind 6-0 Holy Cross.

When he steps on the floor, it will mark an important signpost in a journey that for Wangmene, even at 15, already has spanned two continents.

Life in Cameroon

Wangmene did not grow up in the National Geographic version of Africa.

His hometown of Maroua, on Cameroon's uppermost tip, teems with shops and hotels, restaurants and traffic.

His father, Theophile, an army sergeant, never struggled to provide food and shelter. More importantly to Alexis, his father's income meant electricity for the house — and the family TV.

Theophile, 6-4 and wiry, was a decorated amateur basketball player. He taught Alexis, his only son, the sport from an early age.

It wasn't long before basketball became an obsession for Alexis.

"I would play every day," he said. "Even if I was alone."

By the time he was a teenager, Wangmene was playing in tournaments across the continent.

In September, Wangmene was invited to attend a camp in South Africa sponsored by the NBA's Basketball Without Borders program. It was there that he met the man he would come to know as "my new father."

Buford, in South Africa for the camp, took an immediate liking to Wangmene. Buford asked him to join an African all-star team that was to tour Texas later that fall.

Before the camp broke in South Africa, however, Buford approached Wangmene with a more radical proposal.

After the tour, Buford asked Wangmene, why not return to the United States on a more permanent basis? Buford proposed that Wangmene live with his family and that he become Wangmene's legal guardian.

"We just thought it would be a neat opportunity for our family," Buford said, "and for him."

Wangmene and his family agreed.

Just one detail remained to be decided. Which school would he attend?

Alexis Mang-Ikri Wangmene, at 6-foot-8, can play inside and go outside to shoot 3-pointers.

Wangmene, an exchange student, has fit in on the basketball team: 'X's and O's,' says teammate Mark Batis, 'are pretty universal.'

Hello, Central Catholic

Central Catholic coach Eddie Ybarra was in a meeting in October when athletic director Carlos Enrico burst in with what seemed a strange question.

"Hey, Eddie," Enrico asked, "are you interested in a 6-8 kid?"

Buford, Enrico explained, was on the phone with an offer few basketball coaches could refuse.

"Without a doubt," Ybarra recalls, "it was the best phone call I've gotten in 10 years here."

Together, the three men hashed out a plan. When the Basketball Without Borders tour finished in mid-November, Wangmene would go back to Cameroon to wrap up affairs and renew his visa. Then, he would return to Texas and attend Central Catholic.

What no one counted on was the daunting layover.

On his return to Africa, Wangmene landed in the Ivory Coast to transfer planes and found himself in the middle of a war zone. Civil war had broken out just before his plane touched down.

For five days, the airport remained locked down. Wangmene passed the time sleeping on the floor, shivering and scrounging for food.

Undeterred, he endured nearly a week in the quagmire. Finally, he returned to Maroua and began preparing for his U.S. odyssey.

A student in America

When Wangmene arrived at Central Catholic, he was by all accounts the most polite student on campus. The only real words of English he knew were "yes" and "hi."

He since has begun to comprehend the language, though he spoke mostly through a translator while being interviewed for this story. He's also picking up a bit of Spanish — "un poquito," he says.

Yet, Wangmene is still most at ease on the basketball court. There, communication is easy.

"X's and O's," says Central Catholic teammate Mark Batis, "are pretty universal."

Wangmene's skills speak for themselves. He can dunk with ease, block shots and defend. A guard in Cameroon, he also can make 3-pointers.

His wingspan — as measured by a curious Central Catholic physics class one day — is 86 inches, nearly wide enough to reach from one edge of the lane to the other. While no one projects Wangmene to make a direct leap from Central Catholic to the NBA, he is likely to be Division I prospect.

One thing is certain. He's going to be a boon to the Buttons.

"There's no doubt about that," says Jay coach Romy Vela, whose team faced Wangmene and the African all-stars during the Basketball Without Borders tour. "He's going to be a force to be reckoned with."

In the meantime, Wangmene is busy immersing himself in all that is America.

It's not unusual, for instance, to find him sprawled in front of the Bufords' TV set munching on a hamburger and fries.

He also is mastering the art of American humor.

At practice one day, Batis — who gives up six inches to his new African teammate — jokingly threatened to block Wangmene's shot. Wangmene responded by wagging his finger, Dikembe Mutombo-style, and proclaiming, "Never."

If there's one thing Wangmene's presence at Central Catholic suggests, it's never say never.

Just weeks ago, he was in a living room in Cameroon, idolizing American basketball players from half a world away. Now, he is one.

"I am very happy, because my dream is coming true," he says. "In Cameroon, there aren't a lot of people who can do that."

www.mysanantonio.com/spor...ed4fa.html
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/hssports/basketball/stories/D_IMAGE.101688cd0b5.93.88.fa.7c.3ffb828b.jpg
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/hssports/basketball/stories/D_IMAGE.101688cd0b5.93.88.fa.7c.3ffacf60.jpg

Dingle Barry
07-27-2006, 02:14 PM
CIA Enrico

stu scotts eye
07-27-2006, 03:50 PM
CIA Enrico

excuse my lack of deciphering, but you dont mean the son of THE enrico?

Das Texan
07-27-2006, 05:40 PM
CIA Enrico

Does Enrico even know what CIA means?

FromWayDowntown
07-27-2006, 06:03 PM

Having played for him in an exhibition game once, I think in Enrico speak, it means "Catch It A**hole" -- at least that's what it seemed to mean during the 2 weeks of practices I got to spend with him.

Dingle Barry
07-28-2006, 03:41 AM
marc, are you lost, son?

Dingle Barry
07-28-2006, 03:43 AM
Enrico is in the Mexican mafia, so I am sure he is much more familiar with it than you assume

GrandeDavid
07-28-2006, 07:29 AM
I hope Coach Mick Cronin of my alma mater, University of Cincinnati, is scouting this guy. Damn. Mick is regarding as one of the nation's hardest-working, if not best recruiters, so I'm sure he's heard of him.

Southwest Texas Fan
07-28-2006, 07:54 AM
I remember seeing this kid on the news. Some were comparing him to Shaq. I think at the time he was 15 yoa and was already 6' 8".

CaptainLate
07-28-2006, 11:34 AM
[QUOTE=stu scotts eye]so true so true...if you love hardcore opus dei doctrine, abstinence from all vices, and hate germs, Cunningham is the man.

If you like cults, you'll love Opus Dei. But check these two sites out:

http://www.opusdeialert.com/ and http://www.odan.org/

mardigan
07-28-2006, 11:37 AM
Does anyone know how much Dalembert contract is for? I bet my roomate and I cant find it

mardigan
07-28-2006, 11:37 AM
never mind, I found it

stu scotts eye
07-28-2006, 11:49 AM
marc, are you lost, son?

I am lost father, in this thread inconspicuous identification. Show me the light and Ill sing you a song :angel

Basty Barrientos
07-28-2006, 10:52 PM
the infamous GigEmReggie fiasco of the early 2000s, clearly one of the greatest cybercrimes Marianistendom has ever seen.

Second only to Iliff69, imho. I can't just let a 2002 Central Reunion thread fall to the bottom of the first page. I hear chocolate.

Also, to settle Taylor vs. Morgan, the latter benefitted from horse steroids, while the former received a personal world-class weight training staff funded by several Lebonese proxy terrorist groups. But at least he wasn't all fucked up on horse steroid/Logan semen cocktails. Taylor wins. :hang :flag: :hang

:flipoff

stu scotts eye
07-29-2006, 10:47 AM
Second only to Iliff69, imho. I can't just let a 2002 Central Reunion thread fall to the bottom of the first page. I hear chocolate.

Also, to settle Taylor vs. Morgan, the latter benefitted from horse steroids, while the former received a personal world-class weight training staff funded by several Lebonese proxy terrorist groups. But at least he wasn't all fucked up on horse steroid/Logan semen cocktails. Taylor wins. :hang :flag: :hang

HAHAH...Im so proud to have been responsible for that creative committee's bash of Brent Barry.

Dingle Barry
07-29-2006, 02:34 PM
hahaha "I hear chocolate." Hadn't thought about that in years. Fucking hilarity.

LakerHater
07-29-2006, 02:48 PM
Screw Central!!!! http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smiflipoff.gif http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smicuss.gif

Doug Collins
07-29-2006, 04:56 PM
Screw Central!!!! http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smiflipoff.gif http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smicuss.gif

Fuck you.

I hear chocolate has to be one of the most jewish moments of my life, at least I got my gameboy back.

Doug Collins
07-29-2006, 05:00 PM

GigemReggie got me suspended and kicked out of NHS and therefore trumps Iliff69 by a multiple of 10. Iliff69 was simply a precursor to GigemReggie, but it was still funny cause Iliff had to say "ehh guys uh come on guys who did this..." followed by his bitchy sigh and room exit.

LakerHater
07-29-2006, 07:25 PM
http://www.holycross-sa.org/img/index_r19_c1.gifhttp://www.holycross-sa.org/news/basketball_tourney_pics2006/10a.jpg R.I.P D-GUT

stu scotts eye
07-29-2006, 08:24 PM
well LakerHater we all hope D-Gut RIP.

Now, on another note, Central OWNED Cross in EVERY SPORT when I went there. Not to forget about academia

LakerHater
07-29-2006, 10:50 PM
where did you go??

stu scotts eye
07-30-2006, 03:17 AM
where did you go??

Well if you have actually read the thread you would know. Did Holy Cross do a poor job with reading comprehension/?!?! :elephant

Doug Collins
07-30-2006, 10:37 AM
Well if you have actually read the thread you would know. Did Holy Cross do a poor job with reading comprehension/?!?! :elephant
:elephant :spin :elephant :spin :elephant :spin :elephant

LakerHater
07-30-2006, 04:25 PM
Maybe In academics we weren't to hot but, I got into Texas A&M not to mention 3 state titles! http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/nutkick.gif

stu scotts eye
07-30-2006, 05:00 PM
Maybe In academics we weren't to hot but, I got into Texas A&M not to mention 3 state titles! http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/nutkick.gif

You mean "we weren't TOO hot" :shootme

oh yeah, l :nutkick: Hook 'EM Horns I agree haha

Dingle Barry
07-30-2006, 05:04 PM
Yes but how many kids did you sire at Cross?

LakerHater
07-30-2006, 11:18 PM
Yes but how many kids did you sire at Cross? http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smirolleyes.gif

Doug Collins
08-03-2006, 02:06 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smirolleyes.gif

0?

LakerHater
08-04-2006, 11:10 PM
always above the rest!!http://www.holycross-sa.org/athletics/basketball/pics/boys2005/central2006/var/22.jpg

Doug Collins
08-05-2006, 11:11 AM
I bet that shot didn't even go in.

stu scotts eye
08-06-2006, 05:44 PM
ahhhh, pues, its like, you know...like it dont matter if it go in if it look pretty waaaayyy....chit nigga, its like how we roll at holy cross, like results dont matter vato :blah

Doug Collins
08-10-2006, 12:49 AM
ahhhh, pues, its like, you know...like it dont matter if it go in if it look pretty waaaayyy....chit nigga, its like how we roll at holy cross, like results dont matter vato :blah

como? im gonna go drive my chevy and shit.

pkulonghorn
08-10-2006, 01:10 AM
i'm in this thread

50 cent
03-16-2007, 01:26 PM
Has he committed anywhere yet?

Kori Ellis
03-16-2007, 01:33 PM
Has he committed anywhere yet?

Yes, he's going to UT.

He averaged 22.7 points, 11.6 rebounds and over 6.5 blocks in his Junior year (last season) at Central Catholic. I am not sure what his averages were this year at Blair Academy (NJ).

Kori Ellis
03-16-2007, 01:42 PM
By the way, you spell his last name "Wangmene", not how I have it spelled in the original post in this thread (which I got from the original article).

wildbill2u
03-16-2007, 01:43 PM
St Marys used to produce some pretty good teams that did well in their division from the late 50s to the 70s. Many of their players were local guys.

I remember a couple of players that were from Jefferson in particular, but can't remember the names. Charles Eads? Calderon?

Kori Ellis
03-16-2007, 01:45 PM
I think it was Bruno who pointed this out a few weeks ago, but Wangmene is going to be playing in the Nike Hoop Summit soon.

Longhorn recruit Alexis Wangmene will play for the World Select Team against the United States in the Nike Hoop Summit on April 7 in Memphis, his second invitation to a prestigious event. Wangmene, a 6-foot-8-inch forward, will also play in the Roundball Classic on April 3 in Chicago. A native of Cameroon, Wangmene spent two seasons at Central Catholic in San Antonio before transferring to Blair Academy in New Jersey for his senior year. Former Longhorn Royal Ivey, now with the Atlanta Hawks, played at Blair. So did NBA players Luol Deng and Charlie Villanueva. Another Longhorn recruit, 6-7 forward Gary Johnson from Aldine, will play in the Jordan Classic in New York City on April 21. Longhorn freshman Kevin Durant was co-MVP of that game last year.

50 cent
03-16-2007, 02:13 PM
Good for him.

I wonder if A&M ever offerred him. I was hoping RC would talk him into going there if they were interested, but I hope he does well at Texas. :tu

ThomasGranger
03-16-2007, 03:27 PM
St Marys used to produce some pretty good teams that did well in their division from the late 50s to the 70s. Many of their players were local guys.

I remember a couple of players that were from Jefferson in particular, but can't remember the names. Charles Eads? Calderon?

If I'm not mistaken, Robert Reid played for St. Mary's in the 70s before being drafted by the Rockets, but I don't know if he was a "local" guy.

ducks
03-16-2007, 03:29 PM
Yes, he's going to UT.

He averaged 22.7 points, 11.6 rebounds and over 6.5 blocks in his Junior year (last season) at Central Catholic. I am not sure what his averages were this year at Blair Academy (NJ).
you think he will pull a boozer :downspin:

Leetonidas
03-16-2007, 03:30 PM
As long as RC is here, he will come here someday.

AFBlue
11-23-2007, 11:11 PM
random bump....

This kid has been getting a decent amount of PT on a very good UT squad and making the most of it...shooting a high %, pulling down rebounds, and blocking shots.

Has anyone seen him play live for the longhorns? Impressions?

Is there a scouting report out there about this kid's game?

I just figured I'd ask because we're a few games into the college bball season....

And he's eventually gonna play for the Spurs.

SpursIndonesia
11-23-2007, 11:23 PM
Can he be a good small ball PF type of player ? I think that kinda player is in high demand nowadays.

TDMVPDPOY
11-24-2007, 12:06 AM
correct me on this

we can sign if he doesnt declare for the draft as undrafted correct?? though his salary will be min? or we can offer him the MLE?

BeerIsGood!
11-24-2007, 01:04 AM
Ive seen him play 2 games for the 'Horns and tonights game against NMSU was his best yet. He's a solid built kid with a 7'4" wingspan who at this point is a post player only. He wont handle it on the wings, but he has some skills. Right now he's very, very raw and needs a lot of polish and work. The good news is that he's active and fearless down low and showed good defensive instincts. Also, he'll get a big chance to show what he's got since Texas is great in the backcourt with Augustine, Abrams, and Mason but relatively weak in the frontcourt.

Kori Ellis
11-24-2007, 02:41 AM
He's a solid built kid with a 7'4" wingspan who at this point is a post player only. He wont handle it on the wings, but he has some skills.

Why do some people want him to play on the wing? Isn't he 6'9/230-240?

wildbill2u
11-24-2007, 02:56 AM
It's part of the Quest for the Long Three, our Holy Grail.

LaMarcus Bryant
11-24-2007, 03:02 AM
This guy has been very impressive.

AFBlue
11-24-2007, 10:26 AM
correct me on this

we can sign if he doesnt declare for the draft as undrafted correct?? though his salary will be min? or we can offer him the MLE?

He has to declare for the draft and then go undrafted for any team to sign him outright.

Seeing as how he is the adopted son of RC Buford, I can see it going one of two ways...

1. RC encourages Wangmene to declare for the 2008 draft with the promise that he'll be drafted and play the next couple years developing in Austin...playing for the Toros.

2. RC encourages Wangmene to finish up school, get his degree, and continue to work on developing his game at the college level.

I guess the question is....Will RC, the General Manager, or RC, the father, be advising Wangmene on his future?

BeerIsGood!
11-24-2007, 03:10 PM
he's 6'8" I believe, and I dont want him playing on the wing. I was remarking that he is a true post player with very limited ball handling skills. That may be tough in the NBA at his height, but he still has room to grow a bit more. He's basically a work in progress at the college level at this point and it's way too early to know if he'll be pro material.

slayermin
11-24-2007, 05:39 PM
I had 7th grad gym with Bo Outlaw. He looks the same now as he did back then except from what I recall, he was 5'8 or 5'9 in middle school.

I also played on a CYO basketball team that played against Fennis Dembo's brother. It was years ago but I think we split our two games with them.

Did anyone mention that stud running back for Judson from the mid to late 80's? I think his name was Chris Pryor. I don't think he did very well in college though.

BeerIsGood!
11-24-2007, 07:22 PM
FYI - If you have the Versus channel - Wangmene and the Horns are going against the #7 Tenn Volunteers in the Stubhub Classic Finals. Wangmene just came into the game and had a good defensive stand against Tennessee's frontcourt.

BeerIsGood!
11-24-2007, 07:25 PM
FYI - If you have the Versus channel - Wangmene and the Horns are going against the #7 Tenn Volunteers in the Stubhub Classic Finals. Wangmene just came into the game and had a good defensive stand against Tennessee's frontcourt.

This looks to be a damn good game. Texas up 4 with about 10 left in the 1st half, and both teams are pretty sharp so far. Connor Atchley is surprising the hell out of me by tearing up Tenn's frontcourt.

BeerIsGood!
11-24-2007, 09:38 PM
Wangmene did a good job banging with the very quick Tennessee frontcourt in a UT blowout win over the Vols. The kid is physical and the first thing you notice about him is his strong build and incredibly long arms. He had an excellent block and another that looked clean but was called a foul. Interesting to see what he does this season for UT.

timvp
11-24-2007, 09:44 PM
Does he start? That's what the ESPN boxscore indicates.

I wonder what the chances are of Buford eventually making a homer pick and picking this kid. 99%?

BeerIsGood!
11-24-2007, 10:01 PM
Does he start? That's what the ESPN boxscore indicates.

I wonder what the chances are of Buford eventually making a homer pick and picking this kid. 99%?
He doesnt start. Atchley starts at the 5 with Damion James at the 4. Wangmene is the 1st big off the bench but gets decent minutes.

picnroll
11-25-2007, 12:11 AM
Wangmene looked like he will be a very, very good defensive player. He has Elton Brand-type size with his long arms. His offense however has miles and miles to go.