4. Miami
5. Auburn
6. LSU
7. West Virginia
8. Oklahoma
9. t.u.
10. California

a) notre dame is unbelievably overranked by everyone, imo
b) everyone talks about what USC lost, which admittedly is a lot, but everyone fails to look at what they still have and the players coming in
c) cal keeps building on recent success
d) miami's defense will shine
e) ou still might be put a bit too high at 8
f) only the brutal sec will keep auburn, lsu, and florida from undefeated or even one loss seasons

***USC vs. Ohio State*** in tempe, az. btw, check out this link:
http://www.collegefootballnews.com/2006/Rankings/Preview2006_1_10.htm

MajorMike
07-26-2006, 09:42 AM
uo - overrated
WVa - can win as fav; only a dog
SEC won't have 3 in top 6
Cal gets to be USC's bitch again
Winner of Ohio /UT game meets Miami for title (SC will stumble against UCLA or Ducks or someone - been too charmed too long).

j-6
07-26-2006, 10:29 AM
Decent list for the preseason. Agree on Ohio State, Florida, LSU, WVU, and OU (8's about right, I think). For the remainder...

(1) It's gonna be great taking Louisville and the points as a home dog against Miami.

(2) Notre Dame might not be a top five team, but they certainly are better than Cal. If you're looking for a 2nd Pac-10er, I'd go UCLA or Oregon.

(3) There's no way Southern Cal's 2nd and UT's 9th. Maybe 4th/5th.

Brutalis
07-26-2006, 10:45 AM
You people are getting stupid. LSU IS A DUD. Seriously, go look at what they lost, and what they recruited, go read some damn SEC Previews and buy a damn vowel. Then just maybe you will pimp slap yourself for ranking them in the top 10 even. Just retarded.

MajorMike
07-26-2006, 10:46 AM
Believe me... I hope they tank, more or Less.

j-6
07-26-2006, 11:13 AM
You people are getting stupid. LSU IS A DUD. Seriously, go look at what they lost, and what they recruited, go read some damn SEC Previews and buy a damn vowel. Then just maybe you will pimp slap yourself for ranking them in the top 10 even. Just retarded.

Retarded is leaving Notre Dame out of the top 10, not leaving LSU in. I see a two loss season - see (f) in the original post. Do you think your Hogs can take them (that's the last game of the regular season, if I recall)?

Brutalis
07-26-2006, 12:06 PM
Hogs lost 6 SEC games by a combined 36 points, that's an average of a touchdown without the extra point. Last year and much like this year we are a young team. More so last year though. Considering that we lost to LSU by 2, Georgia by 3, SC by 4, and to make it worse Vandy by 4. So many chances to win so many games killed the inexperienced Hogs when it could have easily been a 8-4 season.

LSU is still looking for itself after Saban. This is the last year Saban's great recruiting will have any affect for them. Then they hit the real world with their real coach who can't recruit to save his life. They will flop. And yes, we will crush them in Little Rock.

degenerate_gambler
07-26-2006, 01:51 PM
LSU is still looking for itself after Saban. This is the last year Saban's great recruiting will have any affect for them. Then they hit the real world with their real coach who can't recruit to save his life. They will flop. And yes, we will crush them in Little Rock.

As long as Les Miles is the HC, LSU will be middle of the road.

johngateswhiteley
07-26-2006, 03:05 PM
Retarded is leaving Notre Dame out of the top 10, not leaving LSU in. I see a two loss season - see (f) in the original post. Do you think your Hogs can take them (that's the last game of the regular season, if I recall)?

...i think these preseason rankings, over the first 3-5 weeks in CFB, will be proven correct. watch.

1. USC will be fantastic
2. ARK is not going to beat LSU, sorry
3. Notre Dame might be the most overrated team i have ever seen, at this point. the media is in love with the fat man...i see them 2-2 after the first four games, not only b/c thay have a tough going, but they are not a top 10 team
4. i really think Cal is the second best team in the Pac 10...Oregon is very very close behind. UCLA i look at as more of a 24-25th best team in the country. Oregon is top 15, imo...

...don't doubt the Trojans Baby!!!

Mr Dio
07-26-2006, 03:25 PM
(1) It's gonna be great taking Louisville and the points as a home dog against Miami.
Ditto

(2) Notre Dame might not be a top five team, but they certainly are better than Cal. If you're looking for a 2nd Pac-10er, I'd go UCLA or Oregon.
Ditto

(3) There's no way Southern Cal's 2nd and UT's 9th. Maybe 4th/5th.
HUGE freakin' Ditto! No way the Condoms should be or will be @ #2.

cecil collins
07-27-2006, 01:29 AM
Something tells me JGW won't man up to any of this bullshit. He's gonna be dead fucking wrong, then make up a bunch of damn excuses as to how USC got screwed.

johngateswhiteley
07-27-2006, 02:23 AM
Something tells me JGW won't man up to any of this bullshit. He's gonna be dead fucking wrong, then make up a bunch of damn excuses as to how USC got screwed.

...guess we'll find out.

degenerate_gambler
07-27-2006, 08:49 AM
Florida a top 3 team?? I dont know where you get that one from.

They have a black hole at tailback. They will not be able to run the ball.

That bad offensive line they had last year lost 4 starters off of it. So the backups that couldn't beat out those scubs last year get to start this year. Leak is not a mobile QB, so good luck protecting him. Chants of "We want Tebow" will start to pop up the first sign of trouble from the offense.

Then there's Florida's schedule...

See you in the Outback Steakhouse Bowl this year Gators.

leemajors
07-27-2006, 09:41 AM
how is usc going to keep it up? whitley believes in the booty i guess. that is up there with the best names in football, colt mccoy is a good one too.

johngateswhiteley
07-27-2006, 12:24 PM
how is usc going to keep it up? whitley believes in the booty i guess. that is up there with the best names in football, colt mccoy is a good one too.

not only do i believe in Booty, who is a JUNIOR and has EXPERIENCE, none of which mccoy and snead have. USC is stacked at evey single position with the best receiving corps in football and a ton of very very good backs. not to mention i think their defense is going to be quite good.

...what the problem is?

cecil collins
07-27-2006, 01:33 PM
You don't think that Florida state is stacked every year. Yet somehow they fuck it up. You need the right blend of talent, leadership, and savvy to be dominant. I don't think USC will be dominant, but they do have enough playmakers, with the defensive weakness of the Pac 10, to win 10 games and go to a good bowl. They just won't be in the championship. Neither will Texas, and I can admit that. Texas will be stacked for another run in 2 years, maybe next year too, but in 2 years, they'll be great.

johngateswhiteley
07-27-2006, 01:53 PM
You don't think that Florida state is stacked every year. Yet somehow they fuck it up. You need the right blend of talent, leadership, and savvy to be dominant. I don't think USC will be dominant, but they do have enough playmakers, with the defensive weakness of the Pac 10, to win 10 games and go to a good bowl. They just won't be in the championship. Neither will Texas, and I can admit that. Texas will be stacked for another run in 2 years, maybe next year too, but in 2 years, they'll be great.

...you are right about the other necessary ingredients. USC still has that, imo, b/c of Pete C., he is that good and Booty will be that good as well.

Beer is Good
07-27-2006, 02:47 PM
...you are right about the other necessary ingredients. USC still has that, imo, b/c of Pete C., he is that good and Booty will be that good as well.
Good to see you support your team. But your sc goggles blind your perception of reality.

Here's reality - sc has lost too much leadership from the QB position to make up for a lackluster defense on the national level. The only thing that may help them is that they play in the pac 10

Texas will HAVE to have a Big Ben like rookie season from one of the freshman QBs to make a splash at the national level. I hope it happens, but the odds aren't great. The good thing is that an improved defense and good offense will only require the QBs to be game managers, not game winners.

johngateswhiteley
07-27-2006, 03:35 PM
Good to see you support your team. But your sc goggles blind your perception of reality.

Here's reality - sc has lost too much leadership from the QB position to make up for a lackluster defense on the national level. The only thing that may help them is that they play in the pac 10

Texas will HAVE to have a Big Ben like rookie season from one of the freshman QBs to make a splash at the national level. I hope it happens, but the odds aren't great. The good thing is that an improved defense and good offense will only require the QBs to be game managers, not game winners.

1. but you, apparently, have not kept up with SC on the defensive end. their defense will be much better than last years, imo
2. the PAC-10 is a great conference!!! tougher than the big 12, imo...especally these days. USC, Cal, Oregon, ASU, and UCLA are all top 25 material

...t.u., ou, tech, nebraska, and maybe mizzou and cu are top 25 material. but Pac 10 has the quality...SC, Oregon and Cal are all top 10 material. and don't forget USC plays @ ARK, Nebraska, and Notre Dame in non-conference.

3. USC has one of the TOUGHEST schedules in the nation

Beer is Good
07-27-2006, 11:19 PM
1. but you, apparently, have not kept up with SC on the defensive end. their defense will be much better than last years, imo
2. the PAC-10 is a great conference!!! tougher than the big 12, imo...especally these days. USC, Cal, Oregon, ASU, and UCLA are all top 25 material

...t.u., ou, tech, nebraska, and maybe mizzou and cu are top 25 material. but Pac 10 has the quality...SC, Oregon and Cal are all top 10 material. and don't forget USC plays @ ARK, Nebraska, and Notre Dame in non-conference.

3. USC has one of the TOUGHEST schedules in the nation

They have a tough schedule, but I don't think it's one of the toughest in the nation. The thing with the Pac 10 is that it is filled with teams that are solid, but not great (other than SC in recent past). SC has a mental advantage over everyone in the Pac 10 like no other team in the nation. That is to their credit, but I do think it factors big when they play UCLA and CAL (2 toughest conference matchups imo - I don't think Oregon will offer much this season, call it a hunch based on recent past). UCLA is like aTm vs. Texas... history, but not very competitive recently. Goin to ARK will be tough, Neb will be interesting, and ND would be more of a challenge if played in SB.

Mr Dio
07-27-2006, 11:32 PM
not only do i believe in Booty, who is a JUNIOR and has EXPERIENCE, none of which mccoy and snead have. USC is stacked at evey single position with the best receiving corps in football and a ton of very very good backs. not to mention i think their defense is going to be quite good.

...what the problem is?

Have you seen the expected starters for the O-line?
Just spoke w/a buddy this morning from the Corps who is a USC grad & he doesn't know too much about how solid that O-line is going to be. Given that he reads just about every site & Trojan mag there is, is friends with past Trojan players & still lives in SoCal I trust & respect his opinion on his team as I have for the past several yrs.
A big prob is the line up the gut. 2 new starting G's & yes, I do know one of them is the Colorado uber stud Jeff Byers BUT, he had 2 surgeries last yr.
Might take some time to gel as a unit but having the game in Ark could be a reallll close one or a flat out upset.

Beer is Good
07-28-2006, 12:05 AM
1. AGGIE WHOOP!
2. USC
3. THE Ohio State University
219. Some Texas University!

WHOOP

How many "bryants" are there? You don't have to keep creating names to be important :lol

johngateswhiteley
07-28-2006, 05:51 PM
Have you seen the expected starters for the O-line?
Just spoke w/a buddy this morning from the Corps who is a USC grad & he doesn't know too much about how solid that O-line is going to be. Given that he reads just about every site & Trojan mag there is, is friends with past Trojan players & still lives in SoCal I trust & respect his opinion on his team as I have for the past several yrs.
A big prob is the line up the gut. 2 new starting G's & yes, I do know one of them is the Colorado uber stud Jeff Byers BUT, he had 2 surgeries last yr.
Might take some time to gel as a unit but having the game in Ark could be a reallll close one or a flat out upset.

...well, i agree that @ ARK COULD jump up and be a close game. my thoughts on the line:

1. the two tackles (Williams? & Baker?) will be fantastic
2. Byers seems to be finally healthy, and although a concern...not a big one
3. the other guard position i am not sure on, probably be Rachal who will be fine, although the weakest of the group
4. Kalil is absolute money @ center

....all in all, i'd say we will have a damn good line. what the problem is?

scott
07-28-2006, 09:08 PM
Notre Dame has the toughest schedule in the nation... all Pac-10 and Big 12 teams have relatively easy schedules.

I don't know where you get the notion that USC has "a ton of good backs".

johngateswhiteley
07-28-2006, 09:57 PM
Notre Dame has the toughest schedule in the nation... all Pac-10 and Big 12 teams have relatively easy schedules.

I don't know where you get the notion that USC has "a ton of good backs".

1. yes ND has the toughest schedule in the nation, i already said that
2. USC plays: @ARK (tough)
Nebraska (tough)
@ Arizona (average)
@ WSU (easy)
Washington (easy)
ASU (tough)
@ OSU (average)
@ Stanford (average)
Oregon (tough)
California (tough)
ND (tough)
@ UCLA (tough)

3. t.u. plays: North Texas (easy)
Ohio St. (tough)
@ Rice (easy)
Iowa st. (average)
Sam Houston St. (easy)
@ Oklahoma (tough)
Baylor (easy)
@ Nebraska (tough)
@ Texas Tech (tough)
OSU (easy)
@ Kansas St. (easy)
Texas A&M (tough i.e. rivals)

...USC has a much harder schedule. in fact it's not even close. and FYI, it has already been rated the 10th most difficult schedule in the country...

scott
07-28-2006, 10:07 PM
Texas is a Big 12 team, aren't they? Didn't I say they have an easy schedule?

SEC and Big 10 are the big dog conferences right now.

Mr Dio
07-28-2006, 10:52 PM
IMO there is a HUGE diff between tough & Very tough.
VERY TOUGH would be teams that are in most PRUDENT & Realistic preseason top 10.

VERY TOUGH Sched:
--------------------
UT plays Ohio St AND Oklahoma.
USC plays (1) ND.

I think even an expert like Phil Steele would agree that Big 12 is MUCH harder Conf than PAC-10. Ask around how accurate Phil Steele is with college FB.
I believe the PSteele 2006 rankings are Big 12 #2 & PAC way down @ #5 just above the Big East. The Big (freakin') Easy more like it. Hey, PAC 10 had to above someone right?

Mr Dio
07-28-2006, 10:56 PM
...well, i agree that @ ARK COULD jump up and be a close game. my thoughts on the line:

1. the two tackles (Williams? & Baker?) will be fantastic
2. Byers seems to be finally healthy, and although a concern...not a big one
3. the other guard position i am not sure on, probably be Rachal who will be fine, although the weakest of the group
4. Kalil is absolute money @ center

....all in all, i'd say we will have a damn good line. what the problem is?

I guess we'll have to see how well that damn good line dominates Ark won't we? I look forward to it very much.

scott
07-29-2006, 02:00 AM
IMO there is a HUGE diff between tough & Very tough.
VERY TOUGH would be teams that are in most PRUDENT & Realistic preseason top 10.

VERY TOUGH Sched:
--------------------
UT plays Ohio St AND Oklahoma.
USC plays (1) ND.

I think even an expert like Phil Steele would agree that Big 12 is MUCH harder Conf than PAC-10. Ask around how accurate Phil Steele is with college FB.
I believe the PSteele 2006 rankings are Big 12 #2 & PAC way down @ #5 just above the Big East. The Big (freakin') Easy more like it. Hey, PAC 10 had to above someone right?

It depends on how you look at it I think... the Big 12 has two potential national title contenders, OU and UT (though I think UT finishes with at least 3 losses this year). All teams after that will be lucky to be in the top 25 at the end of the season.

The Pac-10 only has one potential national title contender, USC (who I think finishes with 4 losses this year). But they have a bunch of teams who are likely to end up ranked 8-20 at the end of the season.

The elite in the Big 12 are better than the elite in the Pac-10, but week in and week out I think the Pac-10 is tougher this year.

With that said, the SEC, Big 10, and ACC are all tougher conferences IMO... in that order.

Horry For 3!
07-29-2006, 02:55 AM
:lmao :lmao :lmao
x2

Mr Dio
07-29-2006, 12:21 PM
It depends on how you look at it I think... the Big 12 has two potential national title contenders, OU and UT (though I think UT finishes with at least 3 losses this year). All teams after that will be lucky to be in the top 25 at the end of the season.

The Pac-10 only has one potential national title contender, USC (who I think finishes with 4 losses this year). But they have a bunch of teams who are likely to end up ranked 8-20 at the end of the season.

The elite in the Big 12 are better than the elite in the Pac-10, but week in and week out I think the Pac-10 is tougher this year.

With that said, the SEC, Big 10, and ACC are all tougher conferences IMO... in that order.

If Ohio St beats UT then they'd be a fav to go to the FIESTA (for the BCS NATIONAL Championship) because ou & USC will both lose at least 1 game. ou in early Oct in Dallas & USC prob vs Ark OR, vs Cal or ND which they have in back-to-back games. Can't see a Big-10 team beating the Bucks this yr.

KewlKat00
07-29-2006, 08:15 PM

i agree that losing the qb leadership will make a huge difference. but i also believe that 2 groups will carry the team: the receivers and the defense. i'm not saying that the defense will shut people out, but there will be a huge improvement. we were decimated last year because of injuries. we get back our starting cornerbacks and one safety, which also allows for pinkard to move back to his position at safety. we also return 3 linebackers that were injured for most of the season. also, look for rey maualuga to have a huge year.

with that being said, i think usc will lose a couple games, but could win the conference and go to the rose bowl. i would be perfectly happy with that.

Mr Dio
07-29-2006, 08:22 PM
i agree that losing the qb leadership will make a huge difference. but i also believe that 2 groups will carry the team: the receivers and the defense. i'm not saying that the defense will shut people out, but there will be a huge improvement. we were decimated last year because of injuries. we get back our starting cornerbacks and one safety, which also allows for pinkard to move back to his position at safety. we also return 3 linebackers that were injured for most of the season. also, look for rey maualuga to have a huge year.

with that being said, i think usc will lose a couple games, but could win the conference and go to the rose bowl. i would be perfectly happy with that.

Rey & Oscar will be an awesome 2some.

LJ is expected to give opposing QBs headaches (literally).

WRs, what can u say about that bunch. DJ, SS et al...
I wonder if Vidal will be the next uber stud WR that SC has.

Besides your C & OT-Baker I'm not sold on the o-line being solid.
Beat most teams yes, beat tough or elite teams?...I don't know.

KewlKat00
07-29-2006, 08:34 PM
Rey & Oscar will be an awesome 2some.

LJ is expected to give opposing QBs headaches (literally).

WRs, what can u say about that bunch. DJ, SS et al...
I wonder if Vidal will be the next uber stud WR that SC has.

Besides your C & OT-Baker I'm not sold on the o-line being solid.
Beat most teams yes, beat tough or elite teams?...I don't know.

i think rey will have a great year now that he doesn't have to worry about his dad's situation anymore (he died a few days before the rose bowl). i think cushing could have a great year too after shoulder surgery. i just hope they both get the playing time.

in addition to jarrett and smith, we also return patrick turner. he could have a solid year too. he and booty made a nice duo when they played together last year. vidal could definitely be the next, but also look out for travon patterson. he is super fast and keary colbert was already impressed.

the o-line won't be great at first. kalil and baker will be. byers could be if healthy. kyle williams has alot of game time (not much starting though). unfortunately, chilo rachal won't be able to build on his great spring now that he is academically ineligible. we'll see.

Mr Dio
07-29-2006, 08:37 PM
Man! How could I forget about Turner???
He was a lights out long ball guy from TENN & in the Army All-Star game.

Beer is Good
07-30-2006, 12:56 PM

That's why I said "lackluster defense on the national level". I have no doubt you'll beat the ASU's, Oregon's, and UCLA's - but I don't see you containing top flight programs, or mediocre ones consistently game to game. The offense saved your season last year, and that won't be there again. I am not sold on Booty, I just don't think he'll get it done enough to overcome on the national stage.

Cancer man
07-31-2006, 04:20 AM
it's 4:19 and ou still sucks! :lol

johngateswhiteley
08-02-2006, 03:02 AM
That's why I said "lackluster defense on the national level". I have no doubt you'll beat the ASU's, Oregon's, and UCLA's - but I don't see you containing top flight programs, or mediocre ones consistently game to game. The offense saved your season last year, and that won't be there again. I am not sold on Booty, I just don't think he'll get it done enough to overcome on the national stage.

...well thats where we disagree. i think they will be good enough to contain them, and even if they are not i think USC can still outscore them. you seriously underrate the, still, best offense in the nation. thats right i said it....

:elephant

kskonn
08-02-2006, 05:26 PM
...i think these preseason rankings, over the first 3-5 weeks in CFB, will be proven correct. watch.

1. USC will be fantastic
2. ARK is not going to beat LSU, sorry
3. Notre Dame might be the most overrated team i have ever seen, at this point. the media is in love with the fat man...i see them 2-2 after the first four games, not only b/c thay have a tough going, but they are not a top 10 team4. i really think Cal is the second best team in the Pac 10...Oregon is very very close behind. UCLA i look at as more of a 24-25th best team in the country. Oregon is top 15, imo...

...don't doubt the Trojans Baby!!!

everyone was projecting them to be 1-4 at the end of their first five games last year.

I do not believe they will be 2-2, the offense hardly lost anything as well as the defense. their incoming recruits are also very good. I think they will be in a very good situation.

I also think that USC will be fantastic. They have some insane guys coming in and have had a number of very good players that have simply not been able to afford the luxury of playing time.

NoMoneyDown
08-03-2006, 12:09 PM
...the actual top 10, how i see it.

1. Ohio State
2. USC
3. Florida
4. Miami
5. Auburn
6. LSU
7. West Virginia
8. Oklahoma
9. t.u.
10. California

The only way WVU doesn't make the top-5 (or even the top-3 for that matter) is if they lose to Luoisville on Nov 2nd. This team is for real (ask Georgia). It would be one thing if they lost a lot of starting players, but their team last year was mainly Freshmen and Sophomores, including the sensational duo of White (QB-So) and Slaton (RB-So).

johngateswhiteley
01-09-2007, 09:33 AM
...the actual top 10, how i see it.

1. Ohio State
2. USC
3. Florida
4. Miami
5. Auburn
6. LSU
7. West Virginia
8. Oklahoma
9. t.u.
10. California

vs. official ending top 15:

Week 17 AP Top 25
1. Florida (64) 13-1 1,624
2. Ohio State 12-1 1,492
3. LSU 11-2 1,452
4. USC 11-2 1,389
5. Boise State (1) 13-0 1,383
6. Louisville 12-1 1,338
7. Wisconsin 12-1 1,288
8. Michigan 11-2 1,145
9. Auburn 11-2 1,112
10. West Virginia 11-2 1,035
11. Oklahoma 11-3 933
12. Rutgers 11-2 884
13. Texas 10-3 772
14. California 10-3 697
15. Arkansas 10-4 677

Week 17 USA Today Poll
1. Florida (63) 13-1 1,575
2. Ohio State 12-1 1,435
3. LSU 11-2 1,418
4. USC 11-2 1,345
5. Wisconsin 12-1 1,328
6. Boise State 13-0 1,275
7. Louisville 12-1 1,270
8. Auburn 11-2 1,119
9. Michigan 11-2 1,092
10. West Virginia 11-2 1,012
11. Oklahoma 11-3 849
12. Rutgers 11-2 841
13. Texas 10-3 791
14. California 10-3 716
15. Brigham Young 11-2 615

meh, not bad...could have been better. only big blunder is Miami, whom completely fell apart.

MajorMike
01-09-2007, 09:41 AM
uo - overrated
WVa - can win as fav; only a dog
SEC won't have 3 in top 6
Cal gets to be USC's bitch again
Winner of Ohio /UT game meets Miami for title (SC will stumble against UCLA or Ducks or someone - been too charmed too long).

Looks like Miami was my only err as well.