PDA

View Full Version : Vasquez signs LT deal w/ Barcelona

picnroll
07-26-2006, 10:42 AM
Fran Vasquez Signs Huge Deal With FC Barcelona
26th July, 2006 - 11:32 am
Mundo Deportivo - A Spanish sports newspaper is reporting that 2005 Orlando Magic lottery pick has signed a long-term contract with a large buyout sum with FC Barcelona.

The deal is a four-year contract. He will earn 1.4 million euros ($1.75 million USD) per year and he will have an approximately 8.5 million euros ($10.75 million USD) buyout.

So Orlando has their own Scola. Financially seems stupid. He would have more with Orlando then $1.75 a year.

Pistons < Spurs
07-26-2006, 10:47 AM
10.75 MILLION DOLLAR BUYOUT???? I guess he'll never play in the NBA.

Budkin
07-26-2006, 10:56 AM
Screw Vasquez. The guy admitted he was flat out afraid to play in the NBA. Pisses me off as a Magic fan but whatever... can't really do anything about it now.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-26-2006, 11:50 AM
Traitor.

ALVAREZ6
07-26-2006, 11:56 AM
what a homo...

I don't get these fuckin Europeans...why don't they give it a shot in the NBA? Do they know how many guys would kill to have a shot at the big league? It's just crazy that these guys keep passing up great opportunities. There is nothing to lose by trying to play in the NBA. If they turn out to be a no good scrub, they can always go back to Europe.

:wtf

timvp
07-26-2006, 07:38 PM
What a coward :lol

I think he might go down as the worst lottery pick ever. How do the Magic not check to make sure the guy actually wants to play in the NBA before picking him?

Budkin
07-26-2006, 09:20 PM

I think he might go down as the worst lottery pick ever. How do the Magic not check to make sure the guy actually wants to play in the NBA before picking him?

In Fran's case, I know that Otis Smith and Dave Twardzik (the Magic's 2-headed GM last year) got a "commitment" from him that he was ready and wanted to play in the NBA. He was totally psyched when he was selected the night of the draft and then a week later started talking shit about not being ready for the NBA because it was such a physical game or something (don't have the quote on hand..) Screw em.

Bob Lanier
07-26-2006, 11:06 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/espanol/fran_vasquez_295a.jpg
OWNED

furry_spurry
07-27-2006, 12:17 AM
At least they got Darko for a good deal.

ChumpDumper
07-27-2006, 03:24 AM
I think he was 22 and didn't have a choice.

Quadzilla99
07-27-2006, 06:49 PM
What an asshole I'm pretty sure I read somewhere he told the Magic he would sign when he was drafted. Then he just used his draft status to get a better contract.

ATX Spur
07-27-2006, 08:20 PM

It only makes sense drafting him, I guess, if Vasquez told the Magic he wanted to play. I don't know what sucks more, being a liar or a coward.

diego
07-29-2006, 09:47 AM
I think Vasquezs' case is the exception, not the norm. Its still Orlando's responsibility to know whether dude is going to sign, and perhaps more importantly get him to sign.

and its really not similar to Scola's case at all, because Fran signed this deal with the huge buyout knowing he already had a ticket to the NBA, Scola signed his a good 5-6 years before becoming a NBA prospect.