PDA

View Full Version : Are you happier..

SpursWillOwn
07-27-2006, 07:53 AM
if Spurs got past Mavs and got owned Heat with revs making phantom calls or are you happier if Spurs losing to Mavs in a classic series? if we get to the finals are we still David Stern's favourite team?

1Parker1
07-27-2006, 07:58 AM
:wtf What Spurs fan wouldn't be happy with the Spurs getting past the Mavs and Heat and winning it all?

SpursWillOwn
07-27-2006, 08:01 AM
i know this sounds weird but what if nba is fixed.. and heat is meant to win it all this season? ok i think i'll be happier if spurs get past mavs.. mavs trolls here would shut the fuck up.. and mavs bench would appear not as deep as spurs'

AFBlue
07-27-2006, 08:04 AM
Wouldn't have gotten owned by Heat after beating Mavs....I would've rather the Spurs been World Champs.

But if you're question is limited like that, I would've rather us gone farther in the playoffs. That way, everyone wouldn't be comparing our smaller off-season to the one the Dallas Mavericks had. Spurs fans would just be saying "Who cares what they added, mentally we own the Mavs". Instead we have 10 threads on the "depth" that Mavs have added and all this other junk.

SpursWillOwn
07-27-2006, 08:09 AM
^^ agreed, i think kerr agrees as well http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=sk-freeagency072706&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

But assuming you have a good core group of highly paid guys – like the San Antonio Spurs, for example, with Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili – then the entire offseason focus becomes filling spots four through nine with reasonably priced talent. That means drafting well (finding rookies who are ready to play), and it means uncovering the "diamonds in the rough" – guys who are relatively unknown commodities but ready to contribute to the success of a team.

With that in mind, which NBA teams made the shrewdest moves in free agency this summer? Not the Ben Wallace signings, but the little ones that may pay off in a big way? Which teams were able to add players who will be contributors but didn't cost a fortune?

Let's take a look:

San Antonio Spurs: Jackie Butler and Francisco Elson. Gregg Popovich had so little faith in Rasho Nesterovic and Nazr Mohammed by the end of last season that neither played in the Spurs' Game 7 loss to Dallas in the West semifinals. They're both gone, having been replaced by the much cheaper – and more agile – Butler and Elson. (Butler signed a three-year, $7 million deal and Elson will make $3 million per over two seasons). Elson, in particular, will be a big factor for San Antonio. He's an active defender and a solid shooter from 17 feet. As for Butler, he showed flashes of brilliance in New York. He's young and athletic and has a chance to be a good player, particularly by learning from Duncan. All told, the Spurs signed two centers who should play quite a bit and got them both for about $5 million this season. Pretty impressive.

AFBlue
07-27-2006, 08:20 AM
That man would know....he was the "4-9" guy that came through in '03. What a Badass!

cheguevara
07-27-2006, 08:46 AM
Stern will make sure Lebron and Wade advance in the East. In the West it's more open but I fear Phoenix + Dallas will be in the finals.

Sad but true, Stern is a control freak and he does not like the Spurs.

ducks
07-27-2006, 08:48 AM
why watch the nba then/

cheguevara
07-27-2006, 08:53 AM
why watch the nba then/

Well last season we almost beat Stern's plan by forcing Mavs to game 7.

This season we might just beat Stern,the refs and the opposing team in a series. might.

TDMVPDPOY
07-27-2006, 08:57 AM
get pass mavs n lose to heat in finals? no i will not be happy even if we beat the mavs, our fuckn goal is to win the championship, not losing.

George Gervin's Afro
07-27-2006, 10:02 AM
1 goal NBA championship.

I hated losing to the Mavs but I hated even more not winning a title. This is what seperates us from Mav fans. I think we can all agree that our season last year was a failure because we did not win the championship and not because we lost to the Mavs. It did not matter who we lost to because in the end we failed. Now the Mav fans seem to think that we are mad because we lost to them.. I sense that when the Mav fans come talk trash they don't get it.. they seem to think that finally beating us was a success in itself but in reality it means nothing if they didn't win a championship.. oh and did I mention the mavs are younger and deepr this year?

SpursWillOwn
07-27-2006, 10:10 AM
i sure hope to see the championship dvd maker interviewing pop and how his very small ball and very big ball get our 06-07 nba championship

rockets
07-27-2006, 10:18 AM
Stern will make sure Lebron and Wade advance in the East. In the West it's more open but I fear Phoenix + Dallas will be in the finals.

Sad but true, Stern is a control freak and he does not like the Spurs.

spurs fans are all whiners. more proof right here.

they get outplayed/outworked/outcoached by the Mavs and then they just play the "Stern doesnt want my team in the Finals" card. Spurs had every chance in the world to advance past Dallas. Dallas just showed true heart by beating the Spurs on their homecourt in game 7. Spurs fans are just not smart enough to understand basketball yet.

THE SIXTH MAN
07-27-2006, 10:27 AM

they get outplayed/outworked/outcoached by the Mavs and then they just play the "Stern doesnt want my team in the Finals" card. Spurs had every chance in the world to advance past Dallas. Dallas just showed true heart by beating the Spurs on their homecourt in game 7. Spurs fans are just not smart enough to understand basketball yet.
Way to generalize a fan base genius. :jack

cheguevara
07-27-2006, 10:48 AM

dude, It's not only the Mavs-Spurs series.

I am also talking about the Lebron-Pistons series and the treatment Wade got in the finals.

mabber
07-27-2006, 10:53 AM
1 goal NBA championship.

I hated losing to the Mavs but I hated even more not winning a title. This is what seperates us from Mav fans. I think we can all agree that our season last year was a failure because we did not win the championship and not because we lost to the Mavs. It did not matter who we lost to because in the end we failed. Now the Mav fans seem to think that we are mad because we lost to them.. I sense that when the Mav fans come talk trash they don't get it.. they seem to think that finally beating us was a success in itself but in reality it means nothing if they didn't win a championship.. oh and did I mention the mavs are younger and deepr this year?

Why wouldn't Spurs and Mavs fans be different? The Spurs have won 3 titles so anything short of that would be considered a failure (assuming the talent is still there). The Mavs have never won anything so , YES, while it sucked losing in the finals it's really a successful season as a Mav fan since we'd never been that far before. Also, YES, beating the Spurs was a big deal cuz we'd never done it before and you have to beat the best to become the best. It's not a matter of "not getting it", it's just two very different situations. Obviously, this all changes now as all that matters now is winning the title. Beating the Spurs and/or just getting to the finals is not enough now. A decent analogy is being a Cowboy fan (like I am). They've won multiple titles, so when their talent level is decent, anything short of winning another title doesn't cut it anymore. I'm sure Seahawk fans consider last season successful even though it sucked to lose in the Super Bowl. They had never done squat before.

George Gervin's Afro
07-27-2006, 10:57 AM
Why wouldn't Spurs and Mavs fans be different? The Spurs have won 3 titles so anything short of that would be considered a failure (assuming the talent is still there). The Mavs have never won anything so , YES, while it sucked losing in the finals it's really a successful season as a Mav fan since we'd never been that far before. Also, YES, beating the Spurs was a big deal cuz we'd never done it before and you have to beat the best to become the best. It's not a matter of "not getting it", it's just two very different situations. Obviously, this all changes now as all that matters now is winning the title. Beating the Spurs and/or just getting to the finals is not enough now. A decent analogy is being a Cowboy fan (like I am). They've won multiple titles, so when their talent level is decent, anything short of winning another title doesn't cut it anymore. I'm sure Seahawk fans consider last season successful even though it sucked to lose in the Super Bowl. They had never done squat before.

By the way I have been a lifelong Cowboy fan.. I agree with your assessment but most of the Mva fans here don't ' get it'.

mabber
07-27-2006, 11:14 AM
By the way I have been a lifelong Cowboy fan.. I agree with your assessment but most of the Mva fans here don't ' get it'.

Side note...Was George Gervin's afro ever very big? :fro I can't recall.

ChumpDumper
07-27-2006, 11:20 AM
Why would anyone follow the NBA if he thinks it's fixed?

George Gervin's Afro
07-27-2006, 11:23 AM
Side note...Was George Gervin's afro ever very big? :fro I can't recall.

I have a picture in a memory that he did have a big afro... big ? I guess it depends on who you ask.. In my opinion it was big..

shaggy17
07-27-2006, 12:57 PM
1 goal NBA championship.

:rolleyes Anthony Johnson,Croshere,Dampier,Stack are all over 30

George is almost 29,Buckner is almost 30 so Ager and that piece of shit Mbenga is their only "young" player on their bench.

Now compared to our bench it is younger but not by much with Beno,Bonner and Butler all in their 20's. Barry,Williams are trade bait and Oberto/horry/Finley are over 30 as well.

cheguevara
07-27-2006, 01:39 PM

If you're referring to me read again. i am saying NBA is not fixed, but the refs influence some games according to Stern's instructions.

not trying to get in discussions since this has been discussed again and again.

ChumpDumper
07-27-2006, 01:41 PM
You just defined a fix.

Again and again.

cheguevara
07-27-2006, 02:00 PM
mmm this is what I mean

A fix to me is Stern calling the refs and saying "Make sure Miami wins or your job on the line"

Influence is Stern calling refs and saying "Wade is getting fouled over and over and not getting calls. Please watch that more carefully."

get it?

Beer is Good
07-27-2006, 02:41 PM
WWE anyone?

Solid D
07-27-2006, 03:48 PM
I think it was kind of fun driving the Spurs truck directly behind the Mavs Bandwagon and watching the Bandwagon Mavs fans fall off after blowing a 2-0 lead. Ba-Bump.....Ba-Bump.....Ba-Bump.

mabber
07-27-2006, 04:26 PM
I think it was kind of fun driving the Spurs truck directly behind the Mavs Bandwagon and watching the Bandwagon Mavs fans fall off after blowing a 2-0 lead. Ba-Bump.....Ba-Bump.....Ba-Bump.

There are definitely a lot of Mav bandwagon fans. Heck, with the exception of the Cowboys...Dallas is a bandwagon type of city. The Mavs, Rangers & Stars draw out all the bandwagon fans when they're doing well. When they're not doing well, interest wanes.

Most cities (outside of maybe some of the east coast cities...Phily, Boston & NY) have bandwagon fans though.

Eric Dampier
07-27-2006, 04:52 PM
There are definitely a lot of Mav bandwagon fans. Heck, with the exception of the Cowboys...Dallas is a bandwagon type of city. The Mavs, Rangers & Stars draw out all the bandwagon fans when they're doing well. When they're not doing well, interest wanes.

Most cities (outside of maybe some of the east coast cities...Phily, Boston & NY) have bandwagon fans though.

are you bisexual? cause i am..

dbestpro
07-27-2006, 04:52 PM
if Spurs got past Mavs and got owned Heat with revs making phantom calls or are you happier if Spurs losing to Mavs in a classic series? if we get to the finals are we still David Stern's favourite team?

What if? Let's stick to reality. Mavs got past Spurs with phantom calls. Heat got past Mavs with phantom calls. Spurs go quietly with class. Mavs whine to the point where the may have lost the favorite call status for 2007.

Justice prevails.

dbestpro
07-27-2006, 04:56 PM

Hey! The Rockets are still in the league! Eat all your vegetables, do as your told and maybe one day you'll make the playoffs.

dbestpro
07-27-2006, 05:01 PM

So I guess it is safe to say that what constitutes success for the Mav's would be considered a failure for the Spurs. So, it's settled. The Mav fans are the official ankle chewers of the NBA.

SpursWillOwn
07-27-2006, 07:10 PM
for me, i loved watching tim duncan play.. i follow NBA because of him, even if it's fixed i would still love to watch him play :jack