PDA

View Full Version : Steve Kerr: Free Agency's Best Buys

Supergirl
07-27-2006, 08:49 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AnbRGUhTAVTRKG_QsYRasNq8vLYF?slug=sk-freeagency072706&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Free agency's best buys

By Steve Kerr, Yahoo! Sports

Ben Wallace's departure from the Detroit Pistons to the Chicago Bulls for a reported four-year, $60 million deal was the biggest, most high-profile signing of free agency. Wallace, the NBA's four-time Defensive Player of the Year, leaves a void in the Pistons' lineup that will entirely change the makeup and philosophy of their team. His insertion into the Bulls' starting five, meanwhile, might turn Chicago into a championship contender.

There have been several other big-money deals this summer that made headlines, such as Peja Stojakovic's signing with the New Orleans Hornets and the reported sign-and-trade that will bring Al Harrington back to the Indiana Pacers. Speedy Claxton could be the point guard that the Atlanta Hawks have needed, and the Los Angeles Lakers added Vladimir Radmanovic to improve their outside shooting and general skill level on the front line. The Los Angeles Clippers countered the Radmanovic loss by signing Tim Thomas to a $24 million contract.

But what about the smaller, less noticeable deals?

Every summer, there are a handful of free-agent signings that go under the radar but end up being very significant moves. For example, Joel Przybilla inked a modest deal with the Portland Trail Blazers in 2004. Nobody seemed to notice since he was a bit player early in his career with the Milwaukee Bucks, but the Blazers saw something they liked in him, and he became an important part of their team for a reasonable price. Following two solid seasons with Portland, Przybilla was one of the hottest names on the market before the Blazers re-signed him to a long-term contract.

Adrian Griffin is another example of a guy whose signing went unnoticed by most basketball fans, but his impact on the Dallas Mavericks last season was critical. After bouncing around the league for much of his career, Griffin earned a spot in the Mavericks' starting lineup with his defense and poise. He was an important role player during Dallas' run to the NBA Finals, and all he cost the Mavs was the veteran's minimum salary.

ADVERTISEMENT

Raja Bell was way down most teams' lists of free-agent shooting guards last season, well behind Michael Redd, Larry Hughes and Joe Johnson among others. But he signed with the Phoenix Suns, replaced Johnson and became a starter and one of the Suns' key players. His toughness and defense helped Phoenix win the Pacific Division, and now he's a major part of the team's long-term plans.

In this day and age of big contracts and luxury taxes, one of the keys to building a strong team is to fill the roster with solid, affordable players who can be major contributors without breaking the bank. You can't win without stars, of course, so you'd better be paying the right guys at the top of your roster. But assuming you have a good core group of highly paid guys – like the San Antonio Spurs, for example, with Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili – then the entire offseason focus becomes filling spots four through nine with reasonably priced talent. That means drafting well (finding rookies who are ready to play), and it means uncovering the "diamonds in the rough" – guys who are relatively unknown commodities but ready to contribute to the success of a team.

With that in mind, which NBA teams made the shrewdest moves in free agency this summer? Not the Ben Wallace signings, but the little ones that may pay off in a big way? Which teams were able to add players who will be contributors but didn't cost a fortune?

Let's take a look:

San Antonio Spurs: Jackie Butler and Francisco Elson. Gregg Popovich had so little faith in Rasho Nesterovic and Nazr Mohammed by the end of last season that neither played in the Spurs' Game 7 loss to Dallas in the West semifinals. They're both gone, having been replaced by the much cheaper – and more agile – Butler and Elson. (Butler signed a three-year, $7 million deal and Elson will make $3 million per over two seasons). Elson, in particular, will be a big factor for San Antonio. He's an active defender and a solid shooter from 17 feet. As for Butler, he showed flashes of brilliance in New York. He's young and athletic and has a chance to be a good player, particularly by learning from Duncan. All told, the Spurs signed two centers who should play quite a bit and got them both for about $5 million this season. Pretty impressive.

Chicago Bulls: Adrian Griffin. Unfortunately for Dallas, Griffin played so well last season that he earned himself a three-year contract with the Bulls. Chicago has an interesting mix of young and old, and Griffin is the type of player who can help build a winning culture. Griffin is also a big defender at the guard spot. He'll help the Bulls deal with LeBron James and Dwyane Wade.

Dallas Mavericks: Greg Buckner. To replace Griffin, the Mavericks brought back Buckner, the former Mav who is not only a tough defender but also a much improved shooter. By the end of last season, he was Denver's best three-point shooter. And he'll provide a good veteran influence in the locker room.

Phoenix Suns: Sean Marks. Marcus Banks was the Suns' big acquisition this summer, and he'll provide excellent defense and speed and be a good backup to Steve Nash. But Marks, who signed a minimum deal, just might crack the rotation. He didn't play much in San Antonio, but Phoenix is the perfect place for him. Marks is an excellent shooter who should fit right in with the Suns' pick-and-pop game. He's close to 7-foot, athletic and has the shooting range to spread the floor and open up driving lanes for Nash.

Toronto Raptors: Anthony Parker and Jorge Garbajosa. Parker, a one-time first-round pick of the Philadelphia 76ers, has been playing overseas for most of his career. He's now better known as the older brother of Candace Parker, the Tennessee Lady Vols' dunking center. But with years of international experience, Parker should be ready to come in and contribute right away. He can really shoot the ball, has good size and will fit into the Raptors' run-and-gun plans. Garbajosa, meanwhile, is another player with plenty of international experience, having come from Spain's top professional league where was an all-star performer. Garbajosa gives the Raptors a smart, skilled forward who will help fill the void left by Charlie Villanueva's departure.

Detroit Pistons: Ronald Murray and Nazr Mohammed. Murray was a big factor in Cleveland after a mid-season trade last year, and yet Detroit got him for a very reasonable price – two years, $3.6 million. He has the size to defend multiple positions and the ability to put the ball down on the floor and create. And having two different guys named "Flip" in the same organization has to be a bonus, doesn't it? Mohammed was signed to the mid-level exception (not a bad price for a starting center these days) and while he does have some big shoes to fill, Mohammed is a guy who can score on the block – something Wallace couldn't do. Both Mohammed and Murray figure prominently in the Pistons' plans as they look to make the transition to a more offensive-minded team now that Wallace is gone.

Steve Kerr is Yahoo! Sports' NBA analyst. Send him a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast.

Supergirl
07-27-2006, 08:50 AM
Kerr is usually just about the smartest, most on target analyst out there. I think his confidence in the Spurs' decisions to sign Elson and Butler should speak volumes.

usckk
07-27-2006, 08:59 AM
I hope so.

furry_spurry
07-27-2006, 09:02 AM
Kerr is usually just about the smartest, most on target analyst out there. I think his confidence in the Spurs' decisions to sign Elson and Butler should speak volumes.
I think his listing Sean Marks fourth on the list raises serious doubts about the objectivity of his analysis. :lol

Elson, in particular, will be a big factor for San Antonio
Not a good sign.

Mohammed was signed to the mid-level exception (not a bad price for a starting center these days) and while he does have some big shoes to fill, Mohammed is a guy who can score on the block – something Wallace couldn't do. Both Mohammed and Murray figure prominently in the Pistons' plans as they look to make the transition to a more offensive-minded team now that Wallace is gone.
And quite possibly someone could explain how getting rid of Nazr was a shrewd move but signing Nazr was also a shrewd move in the same article?

leemajors
07-27-2006, 09:26 AM
I think his listing Sean Marks fourth on the list raises serious doubts about the objectivity of his analysis. :lol

Not a good sign.

And quite possibly someone could explain how getting rid of Nazr was a shrewd move but signing Nazr was also a shrewd move in the same article?

marks could very well thrive in phoenix, he can shoot from the outside and will be encouraged to do so there. maybe a change of scenery and a lack of pressure to perform defensively will do nazr good. but if you want to argue semantics, you can go ahead.

George Gervin's Afro
07-27-2006, 09:42 AM

Not a good sign.

Because Nazr's weaknesses in the Spurs system became magnified during the latter part of the season. The Spurs wanted to become more athletic at the center position and they did at half the cost = shrewd move.

Detroit lost a dynamic defensive center who could not score to save his life. They replaced him , at half the price, with a better than avg defensive center who can score.

I am begining to think you are playing stupid because it takes only an ounce of analytical thought to figure out what he was trying to say.

MajorMike
07-27-2006, 09:43 AM

No, I think all the doomsday-bitching posters here are smarter than Kerr by a mile.

It is so humorous how there have been 3 or 4 national articles posted that rave about the Spurs were quietly great in the NBA silly season and yet everyone keeps bitching.

Reminds me of that snickers commercial with the redheaded dufus that throws the candy at the fire then runs around screaming over the alarm.

waly.mg
07-27-2006, 10:19 AM
Every Team who take 2 Center for 5 millions make a good deal

If the Center work, is cheaper, if not, the team have a lethal weapon for trades

The Centers helps when you are interesting for someone

Because for Elson and Barry, for example, you can make a Big move

AFBlue
07-27-2006, 10:31 AM
[QUOTE=furry_spurry]I think his listing Sean Marks fourth on the list raises serious doubts about the objectivity of his analysis. :lol QUOTE]

Yeah I have to agree. He listed 9 players and two-thirds(6) had ties to Texas....either they came from a Texas team or they are going to a Texas team. That's a little biased. I would've added Tim Thomas to Clips as well.

Marks can be marginally productive, but I don't see him as an equal replacement of Tim Thomas late in the year.

furry_spurry
07-27-2006, 11:23 AM
When I read ONE article in which someone claims the move was good from a PURELY basketball perspective, then we have something to be happy about. But when every analysis talks about how it is good because it is cheap, I don't get too thrilled because the cost cutting isn't going to make the Spurs spend money on anyone else. Find me an expert who can discuss the signings of Elson and Butler and how they will help bring the Spurs a championship INSTEAD OF how much they make, and then we'll talk.

As for Sean, I think Sean is a great guy, but to list him 4th on the list of shrewdest moves this entire off-season in the NBA is just plain dumb.

Supergirl
07-27-2006, 11:24 AM
Phoenix has wanted Marks for awhile now. I believe they offered him a chance a couple years ago when the Spurs cut him for a few days due to roster size, but he stuck with the Spurs, who had told them of their intention to re-sign him back as soon as they could.

Both Phoenix and SA have long appreciated his value, but I think he'll get more playing time in Phoenix because he's a big who can run and shoot the ball well. In the Spurs system he winds up getting pushed further down the bench for better defenders.

In terms of Kerr's homerism, well, he played for SA and he's part owner in the Suns, I think, and an Arizona alum. But I still think his points are excellent. The Mavs lost a key guy, but replaced him with someone who might be as good, and the Spurs lost two guys who weren't good enough in the playoffs and replaced them with a young talent and veteran, both of whom are more athletic than the two outgoing. Ben Wallace is obviously better than NAzr, but the Pistons have been moving away from their defensive prowess since Flip signed, and Nazr will fit in better in their new offensively minded team.

I predict it will be the Spurs and the Mavs again next year in the WCF, and the Heat and the Cavs in the ECF. Spurs v. Heat in the Finals, with the Spurs winning.

ChumpDumper
07-27-2006, 11:40 AM
These weren't ranked.

When I read ONE article in which someone claims the move was good from a PURELY basketball perspective, then we have something to be happy about.
Gregg Popovich had so little faith in Rasho Nesterovic and Nazr Mohammed by the end of last season that neither played in the Spurs' Game 7 loss to Dallas in the West semifinals.If we get someone who will replace Finley as our starting center, it's a good basketball move.

furry_spurry
07-27-2006, 11:43 AM
I thought Duncan was the center. :lol

furry_spurry
07-27-2006, 11:49 AM
In terms of Kerr's homerism, well, he played for SA and he's part owner in the Suns, I think, and an Arizona alum. But I still think his points are excellent.

The point is he chose only these moves to discuss- almost all of which relate to him personally or to people or entities to which he has ties. It raises legitimate questions about how objective he can be.

Let's see- he discussed the Spurs- a team coached by a Spur- a team he owns part of- and a team with a GM who was previously with the team he owns. Total homerism.

ChumpDumper
07-27-2006, 11:52 AM
What are his ties to Dallas and Detroit?

What bargain deals did he miss?

sleepybum
07-27-2006, 11:56 AM
Also the Bulls who he played for... He probably has friends on the other teams (I think Furry was thinking AJ.) It seemed a little slanted to me as well, but it's just an editorial. They're never very objective, but who cares?

furry_spurry
07-27-2006, 12:03 PM
I doubt most people consider Parker and Garbajosa at 3/$12M each to be bargains- and I'm rooting for the Raptors to succeed.

ChumpDumper
07-27-2006, 12:05 PM
That's the Canadian free agent surcharge.

What did he miss?

AFBlue
07-27-2006, 12:25 PM
What are his ties to Dallas and Detroit?

He played/lived in Texas, so he has knowledge of all Texas teams and a special appreciation for the Spurs/Mavs rivalry.

And as far as Detriot is concerned, Nazr Mohammad is the link.

I guess he's not necessarily biased, just narrow in his search for good deals.

Like I said in an earlier post, I think the Tim Thomas pick up by the Clips was good.

Actually, I also think John Salmons backing out of the deal for the Raptors was a good thing. They got an electric, athletic player in Fred Jones that should fit well in the up-tempo style and he costs them less that $4 mil for the next three years.

ChumpDumper
07-27-2006, 12:30 PM
Like I said in an earlier post, I think the Tim Thomas pick up by the Clips was good. So, one?

If anything, it just a bit premature. There will likely be some more good deals in the coming months.

AFBlue
07-27-2006, 12:33 PM
Fred Jones makes 2

ChumpDumper
07-27-2006, 12:35 PM
He probably turned it in before the Jones deal went down, so no.

AFBlue
07-27-2006, 12:39 PM
And it's a bigger signing, but if the Pacers pull off the re-signing of Al Harrington and get him for $7.5, that'd be a good deal. Essentially it would be a Ron Artest for Harrington swap (w/ rent-a-Peja in-between) and while Harrington is a lesser defender (who isn't, other than Bruce) he can play SF/PF and learned in Atlanta how to be agressive and offensive-minded. He should be a big boost to their offense that was one-dimensional (feed O'Neal, feed O'Neal, feed O'Neal).

So there's three.

AFBlue
07-27-2006, 12:41 PM
He probably turned it in before the Jones deal went down, so no.

No, what? I don't get where you're coming from? You don't like the deal for an athletic SG who could thrive in an uptempo offense that cost the Raps less than $4?

Kori Ellis
07-27-2006, 12:41 PM
A lot of people seem to think Marks will crack the Phoenix rotation.

I don't see how that's possible with as often as he gets hurt, but good luck to him.

ChumpDumper
07-27-2006, 12:42 PM
No, what? I don't get where you're coming from? You don't like the deal for an athletic SG who could thrive in an uptempo offense that cost the Raps less than $4? I'm talking about the article. No, you can't say he missed that.

AFBlue
07-27-2006, 12:52 PM
ahh I see... "he" being Steve Kerr and "it" being the Article. Yeah maybe he did, but the article is dated to the 27th and the espn article last updated on the 26th. So maybe he did, maybe not, but he did pay a lot of attention to familiar clubs (Spurs, Mavs, Pistons) and to familiar players (already noted)...even used Tim, Tony, and Manu earlier in the article.

coopdogg3
07-27-2006, 01:24 PM
And it's a bigger signing, but if the Pacers pull off the re-signing of Al Harrington and get him for $7.5, that'd be a good deal. Essentially it would be a Ron Artest for Harrington swap (w/ rent-a-Peja in-between) and while Harrington is a lesser defender (who isn't, other than Bruce) he can play SF/PF and learned in Atlanta how to be agressive and offensive-minded. He should be a big boost to their offense that was one-dimensional (feed O'Neal, feed O'Neal, feed O'Neal).

So there's three.

Kerr does mention the Harrington deal in the 2nd paragraph of the article. And says that it's a good signing. But he specifically pin-pointed smaller deals, that most fans don't pay attention to. The only good, smaller deal that I can say Kerr just absolutely missed was Thomas to the Clips. But maybe the Clips have so much bad karma, he's just waiting to see how that turns out. :lol Clips re-signing Cassell was also a good signing IMO, but that may have been too high-profile for Kerr in this article.

SirChaz
07-27-2006, 02:51 PM
Yeah I have to agree. He listed 9 players and two-thirds(6) had ties to Texas....either they came from a Texas team or they are going to a Texas team. That's a little biased. I would've added Tim Thomas to Clips as well.

He listed Thomas to the Clips earlier in the article as a big name signing.

Marks can be marginally productive, but I don't see him as an equal replacement of Tim Thomas late in the year.

I see Marks is a replacement for Brian Grant. Stoudemire is a replacement for Tim Thomas.

violentkitten
07-27-2006, 02:57 PM
didnt the spurs already have the '06 title last halloween? conventional wisdom can lick my furry balls

whottt
07-27-2006, 03:40 PM

Signing Nazr for the MLE was a good deal.

Signing Elson and Butler for 5 million was a better one, or a good deal in itself at the least...

It's really not that hard to understand.

Mr. Body
07-27-2006, 04:19 PM
Makes sense. I wonder if Detroit would take Elson/Butler instead of Nazr Mohammed.

timvp
07-27-2006, 04:42 PM
The Butler signing was the value signing of the offseason, no doubt. If he were an unrestricted free agent, Butler would have gotten two, three or four times as much.

Elson can be made to look smart if Pop plays him against Dallas and Phoenix in the playoffs.

Elson at center > Finley at center

T Park
07-27-2006, 04:55 PM
If Elson does, what he did in Denver, and able to keep up with Dallas and Phoenix, then Im sure it will happen.

Mr. Body
07-27-2006, 04:58 PM
I'm warming to the Elson pick up. His speed seems to be a big attraction here, as is his generally physical play.

The Butler signing has all the hallmarks of a potentially historic steal.