PDA

View Full Version : Magic Re-sign Ariza

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-27-2006, 12:43 PM
Right here. (http://aol.nba.com/magic/news/Magic_ReSign_Trevor_Ariza-185610-800.html)

Kori Ellis
07-27-2006, 12:44 PM
Good for them.

Is it reported anywhere else how much?

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-27-2006, 12:45 PM
I don't know. I'll look for more sources.

Kori Ellis
07-27-2006, 12:52 PM
It's interesting that he didn't even get any offer sheets from any other teams. I guess they got him for cheap.

AFBlue
07-27-2006, 01:03 PM
That young team is forming nicely. Grant Hill is on the way out, so he should provide athleticism and intensity at the very least. He needs to get stronger and work on his outside shot though. I'm interested to see how much the Magic ponied up.

Budkin
07-27-2006, 01:16 PM
Well if he's not coming to the Spurs then I'm glad he's staying with my other team. He would have fit in well here but I doubt we had much to offer him.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-27-2006, 01:24 PM
:depressed

ChumpDumper
07-27-2006, 01:27 PM
I don't think we had enough pt available to be attractive to a guy like Ariza, so it's difficult to get too upset about his signing elsewhere.

We're at the point where we have to make trades to do anything further.

T Park
07-27-2006, 02:09 PM
Ariza wouldn't have done squat against Nowitzki anyways.

honestly.

shaggy17
07-27-2006, 03:47 PM
Yes Dirk, who is a all-star NOT a superstar, is the greatest player on an NBA court today. God stop overrating Dirk to legendary status. If your gonna use Dirk at least add in Bron,Wade,Kobe,Melo,Artest,Wells to at least make the statment a little more justified. Just knock Dirk on his ass hard every time he drives and the fucker gets scared shitless. Dirk cant handle much physical contact and it showed in the Finals especially in the 4th quarter.

Rescueone
07-27-2006, 03:52 PM
Yes Dirk, who is a all-star NOT a superstar, is the greatest player on an NBA court today. God stop overrating Dirk to legendary status. If your gonna use Dirk at least add in Bron,Wade,Kobe,Melo,Artest,Wells to at least make the statment a little more justified. Just knock Dirk on his ass hard every time he drives and the fucker gets scared shitless. Dirk cant handle much physical contact and it showed in the Finals especially in the 4th quarter.
:tu totally agree!!

Mr. Body
07-27-2006, 04:14 PM
Ariza at $3M or so is pretty expensive for a guy who hasn't done much - he's "a jumpshot away" from being an all-star, according to his very objective agent. I'd love him to be a Spur but that's a bit much, considering Butler doesn't even cost that much.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-27-2006, 04:43 PM
Ariza wouldn't have done squat against Nowitzki anyways.

honestly.

You also thought the Mavs were no match for the Spurs. Next.

I think it would have cost us too much to sign him to an offer that Orlando wouldn't have matched. But that's why God invented the sign and trade.

timvp
07-27-2006, 04:45 PM
Ariza at $3M or so is pretty expensive for a guy who hasn't done much - he's "a jumpshot away" from being an all-star, according to his very objective agent. I'd love him to be a Spur but that's a bit much, considering Butler doesn't even cost that much.

Would you rather have Ariza at $3M or Elson at $3M?

Ariza was a top five prospect in the league to fill exactly what the Spurs needed -- a rebounding, long small forward who is a top notch perimeter defender.

Mr. Body
07-27-2006, 04:51 PM

Ariza was a top five prospect in the league to fill exactly what the Spurs needed -- a rebounding, long small forward who is a top notch perimeter defender.

Tough question. I like Ariza a lot and wish we could have had him, but I doubt his ability to develop much beyond where he is now. I'm sure that's just sour grapes. We need his type SF badly.

Since Elson is replaceable to the extreme, yes, I'd rather have Ariza at that price.

Gummi
07-27-2006, 05:00 PM
I don't think that the Spurs are going to make any more moves this off-season. I think we're pretty deep at the SF position with Bowen, Barry, Finley, and Williams.

Maybe next off-season when Williams' contract is up the Spurs will make a move for a future SF.

timvp
07-27-2006, 05:04 PM
I don't think we had enough pt available to be attractive to a guy like Ariza, so it's difficult to get too upset about his signing elsewhere.

All you have to do is salary dump Barry like the Spurs almost did last year and then those minutes combined with small ball minutes would be enough to keep a player like Ariza happy.

Not to mention that Ariza would've had a starting role in a year or two.

Mr. Body
07-27-2006, 05:11 PM
It sucks. I thought Ariza was one of few readily available young SFs, if not the only one.

Sway
07-27-2006, 05:35 PM

Im going to have to agree with shaggy on this one.

Ariza any day of the week and Im not even an Elson hater. Ariza has a hell of a lot more talent than Elson and he would have filled the long 3 spot nicely.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-27-2006, 05:44 PM
Tough question. I like Ariza a lot and wish we could have had him, but I doubt his ability to develop much beyond where he is now. I'm sure that's just sour grapes. We need his type SF badly.

Everyone said Bowen would never be able to hit a jumper to save his life a couple of years ago, now he's one of the best three ball shooters in the league.

Thanks for playing.

ChumpDumper
07-27-2006, 06:22 PM
All you have to do is salary dump Barry like the Spurs almost did last year and then those minutes combined with small ball minutes would be enough to keep a player like Ariza happy.

Not to mention that Ariza would've had a starting role in a year or two.Who wants Barry for capspace again?

And that would still make Ariza the #4 swingman behind two ironmen. Maybe he could hope for Manu to miss alot of time, but his career path with Orlando looks a little more clear with the eventual departure of Grant Hill.

whottt
07-27-2006, 06:33 PM
As the leading Ariza proponent on the forum...

Nothing we can do about it and the price the Magic signed him for means he was virtually unsignable.

3 million is about the most I would have gone...and it would have been matched.

True we could have done something insane like throw the entire MLE at him but that would have been a huge gamble and left us with gaping holes at the C position.

No way he could have been signed...

The Magic still might be interested in trading him for need...they still need shooting more than anything and will not progress until they get it.

And I do disagree with the sentiment that there would have been no PT for Ariza...all our guys at the 2 and 3 are oooooooooooooold...Ariza would have been the main guy in the rotation by next season. And I think he is exactly the type of player capable of giving Dirk trouble.

exstatic
07-27-2006, 06:36 PM
Ariza would have been nice, but honestly, after Denver failed to match Elson, we had 14 on the roster, and the LLE left, which I'm sure O-town would have matched.

ChumpDumper
07-27-2006, 06:39 PM
Ariza would have been the main guy in the rotation by next season.I take it you mean 07-08; I don't think players in his position really prefer to wait that long.

whottt
07-27-2006, 07:12 PM
What you think or don't think is irrelevant...Chump.

The bottom line is that he would have moved into the rotation this season and been a major part of it around the same time our 2g and SF rotation qualify for social security, after this season....

He's not guranteed to do any more in Orlando.

He knows the score of our aging rotation...as does his agent, as does Pop, as does TimVP and just about everyone with a modicum of common sense.

ChumpDumper
07-27-2006, 07:19 PM
:lol If he gets shoved far behind Bogans in the rotation we have all overrated this guy.

Common sense tells him and his agent we already have five swingmen on the roster.

Common sense told you Orlando wanted him back and would match a reasonable offer.

Oh, that was me.

whottt
07-27-2006, 09:36 PM
:lol If he gets shoved far behind Bogans in the rotation we have all overrated this guy.

?

Don't say stupid shit just because you can't get my point...

Common sense tells him and his agent we already have five swingmen on the roster.

One of which we have been trying to trade, others that are all hitting mid 30's...

I know you too stupid to understand why that is a factor...but that doesn't mean it isn't one.

Common sense told you Orlando wanted him back and would match a reasonable offer.

Oh, that was me.

Never has someone said so little, of such little meaning, so vaguely, so often, and thought they knew so much...

ChumpDumper
07-27-2006, 09:39 PM
Aw, don't get mad Hootie. You were wrong.

Again.

Nothing new.

whottt
07-27-2006, 09:44 PM
Uh wrong about what?

It's not like I wanted to see Ron Mercer at the point or anything....

Amazing how stupid that sounds now isn't it?

ChumpDumper
07-27-2006, 09:48 PM
Wrong about the Magic not wanting to sign or match Ariza, dipshit.

Cue personal attack from cornered hootie.

violentkitten
07-27-2006, 10:31 PM
eric williams.

:guffaw

T Park
07-28-2006, 01:53 AM
Paying 3 million to a guy who couldn't hit a jump shot.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-28-2006, 08:19 AM
Paying three million to a center that by all appearances you won't have the balls to play against small ball when you face Dallas next year in the playoffs, and then mumbling next June about how happy you are for Avery after you burn another year of Tim Duncan's prime.