PDA

View Full Version : Seriously

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-27-2006, 01:44 PM
We all want to get rid of Beno and Barry but what actual trades can happen to get rid of them both? If we get rid of both Vaughn can handle the backup spot but then we need a SF to backup Bowen because I don't think Williams will fit being the backup SF in the Spurs, I don't know why. So what actual trades can happen that we get rid of both and we get the SF we want? I'm desperate to get rid of them!

THE SIXTH MAN
07-27-2006, 01:45 PM
damn you've been pretty active today.

SenorSpur
07-27-2006, 01:48 PM
Who said anything about getting rid of Beno? He's only in his 3rd year and most fans (including me) want to see how he develops with more practice and playing time. Vaughn was brought in as a 3rd PG and hopefully he'll not have anymore responsibilitythan that.

I believe Barry and Williams have been mentioned more as possible trade bait than the Beno/Barry scenario. Whether the Barry/Williams trade proposal is enough to land a young SF or not is yet to be seen.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-27-2006, 01:48 PM
damn you've been pretty active today.
I didn't notice that. I'll just take it as a compliment. :)

THE SIXTH MAN
07-27-2006, 01:50 PM
I didn't notice that. I'll just take it as a compliment. :)
:tu

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-27-2006, 01:50 PM
Who said anything about getting rid of Beno? He's only in his 3rd year and most fans (including me) want to see how he develops with more practice and playing time. Vaughn was brought in as a 3rd PG and hopefully he'll not have anymore responsibilitythan that.

I believe Barry and Williams have been mentioned more as possible trade bait than the Beno/Barry scenario. Whether the Barry/Williams trade proposal is enough to land a young SF or not is yet to be seen.
Although I want both of them outta here, I want Barry outta here more. So if they package with either Williams or Beno I'll be happy. :)

Leetonidas
07-27-2006, 01:51 PM
Just wait til August 21st like ducks has said. That's when Williams can be packaged with another player.

SAGambler
07-27-2006, 02:01 PM
We all want to get rid of Beno and Barry but what actual trades can happen to get rid of them both?

I don't know that I am all that anxious to see Beno go away. I still think given some minutes and be allowed to gain some confidence that Beno could come up big for us.

I know one thing. By the time the season was over last year, I was groaning every time NVE went into the ball game instead of Beno. I think Pop really blew it there, especially once he saw that Nick just didn't have it any longer. He could have gotten Beno some valuable minutes and maybe helped bolster his confidence.

I still think Beno has one of the sweetest 3pt shots around and really believe the Spurs need to give him one more year to show what he has.

ATX Spur
07-27-2006, 02:06 PM
I actually agree, I'd love to see Beno get every second that NVE got last year. I just hope he is waiting to show he deserves serious backup minutes.

cheguevara
07-27-2006, 02:06 PM
We all want to get rid of Beno and Barry but what actual trades can happen to get rid of them both?

"WE" do? check again...

Kori Ellis
07-27-2006, 02:12 PM
I wouldn't trade Beno unless another point guard was coming back. I'm not comfortable with Vaughn as the only backup.

However, I'd be willing to part with any/all of Barry, Williams, Horry, Oberto, Beno, Bonner, rights to Scola in the right deal.

I don't think they are worth much to other teams though.

boutons_
07-27-2006, 02:13 PM
Pop wasted a ton on minutes on Nick last season, we got nothing in returun, minutes that could have helped Beno make it or break it.

I really don't want to see JV getting minutes ahead of Beno next season.

SenorSpur
07-27-2006, 02:25 PM
I don't know that I am all that anxious to see Beno go away. I still think given some minutes and be allowed to gain some confidence that Beno could come up big for us.

I know one thing. By the time the season was over last year, I was groaning every time NVE went into the ball game instead of Beno. I think Pop really blew it there, especially once he saw that Nick just didn't have it any longer. He could have gotten Beno some valuable minutes and maybe helped bolster his confidence.

Regarding NVE, I couldn't agree more. I did a lil' more than groan when he entered the game. To this day, I'm convinced Pop fell in love with the 2003 version of NVE and not the actual version.

In fact, I'm on record as saying how much of a "give up" signing that was. Age, injuries, lack of conditioning, apathy - you name it - he had it. The guy should've retired two seasons before coming to the Spurs.

A total waste of development opportunity for Beno. Now is the time for Beno to earn Pop's confidence and become that true backup PG.

Supergirl
07-27-2006, 02:32 PM
We all want to get rid of Beno and Barry but what actual trades can happen to get rid of them both? If we get rid of both Vaughn can handle the backup spot but then we need a SF to backup Bowen because I don't think Williams will fit being the backup SF in the Spurs, I don't know why. So what actual trades can happen that we get rid of both and we get the SF we want? I'm desperate to get rid of them!

Who are all this "all" to which you refer?
I am not rooting for Barry to leave - he has played well for us and fit in excellently. Beno I wouldn't lose sleep over losing, though I still think he has the potential to be a pretty good PG. But unless we could get somone who really fills a need (like the mythical long 3) I wouldn't push to get rid of either of them.

Beer is Good
07-27-2006, 02:34 PM
I still think Beno has one of the sweetest 3pt shots around and really believe the Spurs need to give him one more year to show what he has.
:spless: :wow :wow :nope

Texas_Ranger
07-27-2006, 03:08 PM
Beno should stay, we need to get rid of old guys like Barry.

spurs=bling
07-27-2006, 03:14 PM
I wouldn't trade Beno unless another point guard was coming back. I'm not comfortable with Vaughn as the only backup.

However, I'd be willing to part with any/all of Barry, Williams, Horry, Oberto, Beno, Bonner, rights to Scola in the right deal.

I don't think they are worth much to other teams though.

damn that is half of the team.

Mr. Body
07-27-2006, 03:18 PM
And none of those are terribly good players outside of Horry possibly being good in the playoffs one last time. In fact, I'd say most of those players are near rubbish.

Ocotillo
07-27-2006, 03:19 PM
When does Scola's current Euro contract expire? Will he be too old for the league by then in regards to development and adjusting to the NBA game? Will we be talking about trading his rights in 2010?

Rynospursfan
07-27-2006, 03:24 PM
I really don't understand why everyone wants to see Bones sent away. So many people want to trade him just for the sake of making a deal. If your going to bring up trading a player lets see the scenario, who will we get in return? Barry is a good versatile shooter that gives us depth at the swing positions and can also play point. Why is it you want to throw that away? Sure he took some time to get comfortable in our system but he was an important part of the 05' championship and a key member on last year’s squad. I'd be shocked if Manu played 82 games this upcoming season, he misses about 11 games a year with various injuries. We will need Barry.

As far as Beno goes, I love his shooting but his handle just hasn't been working. Hopefully he has worked to improve that during the summer, otherwise we can expect to see a whole lot of Vaughn and the other four guys on the court will see a whole lot of Vaughn’s man doubling our scorers. His shot is just as bad as NVE if not worse.

renu
07-27-2006, 03:25 PM
Beno, right.. I remember he has the softest hand.. but i kinda forgot how his game looks like.. eee i just wanna see him play for the last time..

Ocotillo
07-27-2006, 03:28 PM
Beno, right.. I remember he has the softest hand.. but i kinda forgot how his game looks like.. eee i just wanna see him play for the last time..

What?

cheguevara
07-27-2006, 03:41 PM
I agree, Barry is a solid backup guard. and pretty durable, doesn't demand PT and fits in the team. what more can you ask?

Beno deserves another chance.

Fucking Van exel fucked us last year.

Rescueone
07-27-2006, 03:49 PM
Beno needs to come to camp IN SHAPE, not like a fat ass kid from down the block. Stop visiting Taco Cabana, and let's see if he means to keep his backup role by coming into camp in the best shape of his life. Oh!, and round is not a shape. If he comes in huffing and puffing, he needs to shipped out PDQ.

Slomo
07-27-2006, 04:07 PM
http://www.cikava.com/gallery/albums/Emoticons/detour.jpg

dbestpro
07-27-2006, 04:45 PM
You cannot find an equal value trade for Beno in regards to his salary cost. Barry is another story. It's old and expensive verses young and inexpensive. Keeping Beno is a no-brainer. Trading Barry is another matter, but still only happens if you make the team better, now. Both are great shooters. Don't forget how things can be with poor shooters (Van Exel).

SenorSpur
07-27-2006, 04:49 PM
I regret the Spurs weren't able to consummate the Barry for Smith deal last Feb.

Sway
07-27-2006, 06:10 PM

:tu

I’m ok with trading Barry, Williams, Horry, and/or Oberto for a long 3. I would prefer to keep Beno (don’t think we could get a better PG in return), Bonner (like his shot and hustle), and Scola (has potential to be a good NBA player).

Please_dont_ban_me
07-27-2006, 06:43 PM
At this point I wouldn't mind keeping them both.

Barry gives us an outside thread (when he's not clamming up) and maybe Beno develops into a solid career-backup...he already knows our system, he stays within himself. I dunno, I like the offseason moves...I hope we're done.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-27-2006, 06:44 PM
The only guy I'd give up Beno/Barry for is Speedy. :D Since that's not happening, I'm fine with keeping them.

Btw, has Pargo signed with anyboy yet? I doubt we get as a 4th PG...but if we do get rid of Udrih somehow Pargo would be a very nice pick-up.

zocool16
07-27-2006, 07:48 PM
i dont wanna get rid of either

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-28-2006, 01:18 AM
You don't speak for all of us elliotfan, as you can see in this thread.

I like both Beno and Barry, who has done pretty well given lack of opportunity (and who was clutch in moments of the 2005 Finals). He can play 3 positions, hustle and shoot the 3. I think he's good to have around but would trade him for the mythical beast we seek.

As for Williams, why is everyone writing him off??? He's likely to be traded after the 21st, but if he's not he's perfect to back-up Bowen for a year - ga ritty, D-oriented hustle guy.

Kori Ellis
07-28-2006, 01:22 AM
People write off Williams because he barely played last season. And those who saw him play last season pretty much considered him washed up.

We'll see if he has any game left. I haven't even heard that he's come to town or anything.

T Park
07-28-2006, 01:54 AM
The guy two years ago had stud numbers and then was traded to Toronto.

That place makes any player regress.

Give the guy a shot peeps before bagging on him.

NorCal510
07-28-2006, 01:56 AM
^has great sport knowledge

phxspurfan
07-28-2006, 10:19 PM
this is funny: the 'career stats' link in eric williams' bio on NBA.com brings up the following numbers:

Season G GS FGM FGA PCT FTM FTA PCT 3PM 3PA PCT REB AST STL BL PTS AVG
2002-03 31 31 105 192 .547 59 95 .621 0 0 .000 127 20 23 18 269 8.70
2003-04 31 24 147 269 .546 90 132 .682 0 0 .000 175 20 26 21 384 12.4
2004-05 33 32 201 319 .630 128 225 .569 0 0 .000 255 16 39 36 530 16.1
2005-06 34 34 223 360 .619 109 221 .493 0 0 .000 301 34 44 37 555 16.3

...too bad those are numbers of a college prospect of the same name playing at wake forest :[

exstatic
07-28-2006, 10:38 PM
The solution to Beno: don't have him bring the ball up. Always have him paired with either Barry or Manu in the backcourt. This isn't a PG centric offense anyway. Against Detroit in the Finals, when Tony was on the bench, either Barry or Manu brought the ball up. The determination was made by whoever DIDN'T have Hunter hawking them.

You have to play to your player's strengths, and stay away from their weaknesses. Beno is an excellent shooter, and an above average passer with sharp court vision. He just has some issues bringing the ball up, so don't have him do it.

intlspurshk
07-28-2006, 10:48 PM
^^^ It's not difficult to bring the ball up but it's diffcult for Beno not to crack down under full court press and intimdiating defense. So, he can only contribute as a spot up shooter or as a good passer against run and gun team

ChumpDumper
07-28-2006, 10:54 PM
You can't hold a point guard's hand his entire career. Either he can bring up the ball under Chuck Hayes pressure or he doesn't belong in the league.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-28-2006, 11:12 PM
The solution to Beno: don't have him bring the ball up.

Then why have Udrih on the court at all?

Just put in 3 sg's/sf's.

exstatic
07-28-2006, 11:18 PM
Because he's a young shooter who can space the floor and create in the half court? How fucking terrible...

Maybe he isn't John Stockton, maybe he's Steve Kerr. I don't remember Kerr having to bring the ball up in Chi-town. Pippin or Jordan did that. Phil Jackson was at least that smart.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-28-2006, 11:23 PM
Because he's a young shooter who can space the floor and create in the half court? How fucking terrible...

Maybe he isn't John Stockton, maybe he's Steve Kerr. I don't remember Kerr having to bring the ball up in Chi-town. Pippin or Jordan did that. Phil Jackson was at least that smart.

If you just want a shooter who can create...

Why not stick in a big physical SG who can play some D too? If Beno isn't playing the point I see no point in him being in the game. He isn't that great of a shooter.

ChumpDumper
07-28-2006, 11:24 PM
As one-dimensional as Kerr's game was, he could bring up the ball. He did here. I daresay he could bring it up against Chuck Hayes.

I don't see why this shouldn't be expected of an NBA point guard. I think he can actually do it.

Kori Ellis
07-29-2006, 12:03 AM
I think he can actually do it.

:lol

I was going to say that too.

Beno just needs to get through it. If he comes into camp in game shape and establishes himself as the real backup, he should be able to bring the ball up. Every other PG in the league does it, why not Beno.

ducks
07-29-2006, 10:38 AM
because he is the only point guard to have a purse

Stephen A.Smith
07-29-2006, 10:44 AM
Beno Udrih haha where does ONE START!? to be honest wich ya, i just dont see it in him. i really dont. HOWEVA, in da end o da day who wood ya rather see bringin da rock up da court? i would chooz dis' kid ova tony parka in about five da ten yeers. parka is aging and if i was da spurs, id just send him away like dat walkin' disasta,,,, RAHO NESTEROVIC!