PDA

View Full Version : Boobs and Tubes Controversy

PeterBurns
07-27-2006, 01:49 PM
So, Check out this article on the front page of the New Braunfles paper this morning....Strippers coming to Comal River

By Leigh Jones
The Herald-Zeitung

Published July 27, 2006

New Braunfels residents aggravated by bad behavior on the Comal River are about to discover rowdy college coeds cannot hold a candle to the professionals when it comes to bringing attention to themselves.

This Sunday, a group of San Antonio-area strippers are planning a float, dubbed “Boobs in Toobs,” and inviting as many male companions as are willing to pay $25 to join their party.

The Palace Men’s Club is advertising the trip on a San Antonio sports talk radio station. Trey Maddox, one of the club’s managers, told the Herald-Zeitung he got the idea for the excursion based on his own fondly remembered tubing experiences in New Braunfels.

He bristled at any perceived implication that the club’s focus was something other than good, clean fun.

“We will behave,” he said. “There are stereotypes on a lot of our people that are just totally unfounded. Strip clubs are everyone’s favorite whipping post, but we’re just people too.”

Maddox admitted he was aware of the city’s recent attempts to crack down on bad behavior on the river, in an attempt to promote a more family-friendly atmosphere, but insisted the publicity about beer bongs, Jell-o shots and rowdy behavior had nothing to do with his decision to come to town.

He also insisted the strippers on the trip would be appropriately attired, although he did express concern the group would be unfairly scrutinized because of where they are coming from.

“We’re not hookers, dope dealers or Mafia thugs. We’re just coming to have a good time,” he said.

Although Maddox is working with a local outfitter to help organize the trip, he refused to divulge the company’s name. Several tube rental businesses previously have expressed frustration with the city’s new rules, calling them unnecessary and bad for business.

City council has passed three ordinances targeting bad behavior already this summer. The new rules ban volume drinking devices, increase the fine for violations of the city’s noise ordinance and prohibit sound amplification devices on the river between 10 p.m. and 8 a.m. A fourth new ordinance banning containers with a liquid volume of 5 ounces or less — an attempt to crack down on Jell-o shot consumption and the litter the activity generates — will take effect after the next city council meeting.

This morning WOAI ran a story and all of the networks are picking it up.
And in New Braun....on the news station, the Mayor came on air to talk about it as well as the police chief.

It's just going to be good clean fun. Any of you guys going to try to make it?

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-27-2006, 02:08 PM
There are loud, obnoxious tubing groups every weekend. People seem worried that it's going to be some sort of floating orgy, but it's not like there aren't "respectable" women on the river every weekend drinking themselves stupid, screeching loudly, and flashing their boobs. Hell, the only difference I see is that most of these girls might actually look good in a bathing suit.

CosmicCowboy
07-27-2006, 02:09 PM
It's just going to be good clean fun. Any of you guys going to try to make it?

You taking Stacy?... :angel

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
07-27-2006, 02:57 PM
Sounds like free plublicity to me

PeterBurns
07-27-2006, 03:21 PM
The SportsChick is in.

Now they are talking about News Crews filming.

It's turned out to be more of an event to help support River Tubing Rights.
Truth be told, it's probably going to be a pretty calm trip. But you never know....

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-27-2006, 03:46 PM
Ms. Jones' lede has a slant that is not backed up by any information in the story.

Boo!

tlongII
07-27-2006, 03:50 PM
If you guys do this next year give me a head's up and I will plan an excursion. Sounds like an excellent use of my PTO hours.

PeterBurns
07-27-2006, 04:37 PM
The plot thickens....
Now it's turned ugly between the NB Chamber of Commerce and City Officials.

City not rolling out welcome mat to dancers

By Leigh Jones
The Herald-Zeitung

Published July 27, 2006

Despite strip club manager Trey Maddox’s promise of compliance with all city laws, Mayor Bruce Boyer says the dancers of Palace Men’s Club shouldn’t expect a friendly welcome when they arrive Sunday for their “Boobs in Toobs” party on the Comal River.

“This is a sexually oriented business, and as such is not welcome in New Braunfels,” he said. “I’ll be very disappointed if we have any of our local businesses encouraging this. But, if they’re not breaking the law, there’s nothing we can do about it.”

The San Antonio-area strippers are inviting as many male companions as are willing to pay $25 to join their river party.

The group could do a lot within the bounds of the law that might not be acceptable in town, despite Maddox’s promise of decent behavior. If the strippers decided to engage in some of the tricks of their trade, New Braunfels Police Department officers might not be able to interfere.

“It is not illegal under Texas law for a woman to expose her breasts,” Police Chief Russell Johnson told the Herald-Zeitung. “Now, if it is causing a disturbance, we would have to ask them to put their tops back on.”

District 6 City Councilman Ken Valentine, who has been at the forefront of attempts to clamp down on rowdy river behavior, just groaned when he heard about the Palace’s planned trip.

“I cannot believe it,” he said. “This is just another version of a sexually oriented business that happens to be outside. It has no place in the family environment we’re trying to recreate here.”

Valentine scoffed at the suggestion that his very public fight against bad behavior could have contributed to the Palace’s decision to come to town.

“There are people that have always said that if we publicize the bad behavior by trying to improve it, we will just encourage more bad behavior. I don’t buy that. You break the back of the problem by cracking down, and eventually the problem will go away because people will realize their trip could turn into a very expensive float,” he said.

Greater New Braunfels Chamber of Commerce President Michael Meek disagreed.

“This is probably a reaction to all of the in-your-face interviews that have been given. It’s always stated as a dare, and that’s what’s creating this reaction,” he said. “With this age group, the attitude is, if there’s bad behavior, let’s go see and be a part of it. The only people who are driven away by all of the publicity are families.”

While Maddox upheld his group of tubers as generally family-oriented people, he did admit he did not anticipate bringing any children along on Sunday’s excursion.

“This is definitely an adult trip,” he said.

CubanMustGo
07-27-2006, 04:45 PM
“It is not illegal under Texas law for a woman to expose her breasts,” Police Chief Russell Johnson told the Herald-Zeitung.

Woot !! :eyebrows

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-27-2006, 04:45 PM
"The family environment they are trying to create" on the Comal? I was there this past weekend and I would describe it as anything but a family environment. And all they are doing is calling attention to this fact while looking like a pack of hypocrites.

SpursWoman
07-27-2006, 04:48 PM
Woot !! :eyebrows

That's funny ... that particular sentence popped out at me, too. I think I'm going to drive home from work topless.

:drunk

TheSanityAnnex
07-27-2006, 05:42 PM
25 bucks is quite a deal...................and alcohol is included??? Woohooo.

If a trip is ever planned out in Cali or Az, let me know.

furry_spurry
07-27-2006, 05:45 PM
Publicity stunt

SpursWoman
07-27-2006, 05:52 PM
That's what companies are usually doing when they sponsor any kind of event. It's called advertising. :lol

furry_spurry
07-27-2006, 05:55 PM
Yes, but there are events- and then there is something like this that is intentionally controversial. It's not like it's a fun run for charity.

I actually even wonder about how legal it might be to charge and serve alcohol-- how do liquor license laws work in other counties and away from the business establishment.

AlamoSpursFan
07-27-2006, 06:11 PM
Who the hell tubes the Comal anyways?

It's all about the Guadalupe, baby...only pussies tube the Comal.

slayermin
07-27-2006, 09:00 PM
What a brilliant idea.

The only thing that would bring the trip down is if the river isn't flowing because it's too low. But that could be a good thing if your hanging out with the strippers.

Buddy Holly
07-27-2006, 09:42 PM
“It is not illegal under Texas law for a woman to expose her breasts,” Police Chief Russell Johnson told the Herald-Zeitung. “Now, if it is causing a disturbance, we would have to ask them to put their tops back on.”

Really? Then why is it that inforce a new "flashing" law during Mardi Gras downtown???

SpursWoman
07-27-2006, 09:49 PM
Because it causes a disturbance? :lol

Buddy Holly
07-27-2006, 10:03 PM
Because it causes a disturbance? :lol

:drunk

scott
07-27-2006, 10:16 PM
Really? Then why is it that inforce a new "flashing" law during Mardi Gras downtown???

According to a former State Trooper I know, it is only illegal to expose ones genitalia, so a topless woman (or a complete naked woman with some hair) isn't necessarily breaking the law, so long as no public disturbance is caused as a result. Strippers floating down a river topless, however, is likely to cause a public disturbance, at least that is my guess.

TheSanityAnnex
07-27-2006, 10:35 PM
According to a former State Trooper I know, it is only illegal to expose ones genitalia, so a topless woman (or a complete naked woman with some hair) isn't necessarily breaking the law, so long as no public disturbance is caused as a result. Strippers floating down a river topless, however, is likely to cause a public disturbance, at least that is my guess.Texas has some decent laws then. I've seen numerous boobies get ticketed at Havasu.

ashbeeigh
07-27-2006, 10:53 PM
Who the hell tubes the Comal anyways?

I don't know if it's still the sasme as it was about a month ago, but around the 4th of July the Comal had a better "flow" than the Guadalupe. I don't know if it is any better now though. So if you want a faster trip, then, perhaps the Comal is better option.

scott
07-27-2006, 10:55 PM
It's all about the Frio baby! The Frio actually would be condusive to a trip like this too... cold water for some nip action. Hmmmm... but shrinkage for the dudes. They aren't getting any regardless though.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-27-2006, 11:14 PM
Hmm

We should set up car-pools.

PeterBurns
07-28-2006, 09:05 AM
It was an event hatched months ago, so it's funny on how the mayor comes out and talks about how this is done as a publicity stunt.

The Frio would have been fun, but too far.
The Guadalupe is the best, but the river is too low right now.

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-28-2006, 09:09 AM
I love how the story made FARK.com.

leemajors
07-28-2006, 09:32 AM

that may be san antonio only, texas law would imply statewide.

dougp
07-28-2006, 09:40 AM
I love how the story made FARK.com.
Yah, I thought that was amusing as hell - what was even more curious was the fact that it was here first ... you guys tend to be a few days behind Fark/Blues/HardOCP/Slashdot, etc.