PDA

View Full Version : Brent Barry: Seeds of Peace Player Blogs

DieMrBond
07-27-2006, 07:09 PM
Barry, Dunleavy talk about experience in Ireland
http://www.nba.com/features/seedspeace_060726.html
Seeds of Peace Player Blogs
July 26 -- Recently Brent Barry of the San Antonio Spurs and Mike Dunleavy of the Golden State Warriors traveled to Belfast, Ireland to take part in a clinic which brought together Catholic and Protestant children from the Short Strand and Dee Street Community Centres for an afternoon of basketball instruction at Queens University Physical Education Centre.

The clinic, entitled “Playing for Peace,” uses basketball to address sectarianism and foster mutual respect to bring young people together in regions of conflict around the world and has been successful in America, South Africa, Israel and Northern Ireland.

Through “Playing for Peace” over 15,000 youngsters in Northern Ireland between the ages of 10 and 16 have already received coaching through the initiative and 25 young adults have been trained to become basketball coaches and youth mentors on a cross community basis. A partnership with the Ulster Basketball Association has also helped establish cross community basketball clubs in Dungannon, Armagh, Cookstown, Portadown/Craigavon, New Buildings, Claudy, Limavady and Derry.

Both players shared their experiences from overseas.

Brent Barry | Mike Dunleavy, Jr.

Basketball Opens Doors of Opportunity
Posted by Brent Barry on July 26, 2006

This morning Mike Dunleavy and I awoke in Belfast and hopped in a couple of black cars, or black taxis as they call them over here, for a great tour of Northern Ireland. We visited both Protestant and Catholic neighborhoods and learned a little bit about the history and the conflict that has been going on over here between the two groups. There has been an official cease fire since 1994, but many issues still remain between the Irish and the English here in the northern part and there is a long way to go in terms of how they are going to settle this thing.

Back in the States, we hear about the events going on over here only if it’s big news. Since 1994, there haven’t been a lot of incidents that register on the Richter scale back in the States, but things are happening here all the time. Just a few months ago a couple of homes were burned down and two days ago while we were here, a church not too far from where we were staying was bombed overnight.

After our tour, we headed over to Queens University in Belfast where Mike and I did a clinic for Playing for Peace. There were 50 kids of varying skill levels there, most of them between the ages of 10 and 14. We did some drills, played some games and just messed around. The goal was to pretty much have fun.

This is my first trip to Ireland and it has been really cool to see this program in action. Mike and I talked about the tremendous amount of opportunities and the doors that are opened up through the game of basketball. This Playing for Peace initiative, where they have brought Protestant and Catholic kids together to play some basketball, is an interesting idea and concept considering the problems constantly going on here. In comparison, back in the States, we grew up playing without having to really think too much about the social impact of the game. Over here it could have a life changing experience for a few kids, which is kind of a neat thing to see, especially since it’s just getting started.

Despite the controversies going on between the two groups during their everyday lives, we didn’t get a sense of that when the basketball clinic was going on. There were hard fouls, kids traveling with the ball and players not listening to their coaches. It basically reminded me a lot of what goes on back home. But kids really enjoyed themselves, had a good time, and were able to get away from things for a while. Like I said, just knowing the game of basketball is allowing them to have this outlet is really the best thing about it. When we did get the opportunity to talk with the kids, we just talked about basketball. The clinic wasn’t really the venue to get their opinions on social issues, nor should it have been.

Probably the most memorable thing that I will take from this trip is seeing the dividing wall that they have set up here in Northern Ireland that stretches for two miles and separates two neighborhoods, one predominantly Catholic and one predominantly Protestant. That is something else. The point of this huge structure, which has grown over the last two years to include wire fencing at the top, is to curtail some of the late-night happenings between the two towns, whether it is bombs or bricks or rocks thrown from one side of the street to the other. The wall includes six gateways, three which can be shut down, and three that include security cameras and are open all the time. You kind of drive from one side with the Union Jack flag flying, to the other side where the Irish flag flies and you know that no Protestant has stood there. It was really weird and eerie.

The whole experience has certainly been eye-opening. If I am in the area again or if they want me to come back out, I would be more than happy to do it to see the program grow. For now, we can take pleasure in the fact that we helped these kids enjoy themselves for an afternoon.

Seeing is Believing
Posted by Mike Dunleavy, Jr. on July 26, 2006

Dunleavy signs a young player's t-shirt.
NBAE Photos
This trip has been very interesting, especially given the fact that I am Irish Catholic. Plus, my grandfather is from Ireland and on top of it all, I was a history major at Duke, so it’s been a neat learning experience for me. I’ve been able to see a lot of things first hand that I’ve heard about from other people. My grandparents always encouraged me to come over here, but I was never able to find the time. Then this opportunity with Playing for Peace presented itself and I was able to take advantage of it. I’m glad I did it and I definitely want to come back.

Growing up, my grandparents really didn’t talk about the whole Catholic and Protestant thing. I guess it’s similar to grandparents that don’t necessarily want to speak about World War II or things like that, so I never got into it with them.

When I saw the dividing wall, it reminded me a lot of the Berlin Wall. I was in Germany last year on a trip for adidas and got to see Berlin and all that, but the wall was very similar. The Berlin Wall is probably more well known, but this is very similar with the graffiti all over it and everything.

One thing I will recommend if anyone is ever in Belfast, I would head to The Crown, which is basically a typical Irish pub, but with a neat history behind it. The pub was started by an Irish Catholic and a Protestant. The Protestant wanted to name it The Crown, as in the King of England. The Irish Catholic said that was fine as long as they could put a crown on the floor so that when people walk in, they could step on it if they wanted. I guess that story gives you a sense of the feelings between the two groups.

Probably my most memorable moment of the whole trip was at the Playing for Peace clinic when I blocked a 14-year-old’s shot to win the game. No, just kidding. Seriously, I would just say Ireland with its beauty and how nice the people are, I guess just the overall experience has been memorable. To say I went to Ireland is pretty cool.

furry_spurry
07-27-2006, 08:58 PM
Thanks for posting.

violentkitten
07-27-2006, 10:10 PM
just imagine what the amazing pale duo could do in lebanon

Please_dont_ban_me
07-27-2006, 11:09 PM
For some reason I don't see Hezbullah and Israeli troops kicking it on the bball court.

Beer is Good
07-27-2006, 11:13 PM
When is the al quaeda vs US match?

Please_dont_ban_me
07-27-2006, 11:37 PM
When is the al quaeda vs US match?

Bush ain't got shit on Osama.

Beer is Good
07-27-2006, 11:49 PM
Bush ain't got shit on Osama.
Osama's 6'5", but has bad kidneys. Let's put Rumsfeld on him for a kidney punch.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-27-2006, 11:51 PM
Osama's 6'5", but has bad kidneys. Let's put Rumsfeld on him for a kidney punch.

Pre-emptive strike. :madrun

Just wait, we got a little surprise in the basketball for you. ;)

Beer is Good
07-28-2006, 12:11 AM
Pre-emptive strike. :madrun

Just wait, we got a little surprise in the basketball for you. ;)
Oh no!! Not a dirty bomb! :smchode: