PDA

View Full Version : U.S. men prepare for quarterfinals vs. Spain

KoriEllis
08-23-2004, 07:54 PM
U.S. men prepare for quarterfinals vs. Spain

By JOHN SMALLWOOD

Philadelphia Daily News

ATHENS - Despite how they've struggled. In spite of the scrutiny and harsh criticism they've received back home. Regardless that he isn't having a fraction of the fun he thought he would have, Allen Iverson said that not only would he do it again, but also he'd tell any NBA player who has a chance that they should play to the United States in the Olympics.

"Even without the scrutiny and the criticism, it hasn't been the fun for me anyway," Iverson said Monday after the United States closed out preliminary round play with an 89-53 victory over Angola. "I think I can speak for a lot of guys when I say that.

"But who said it was going to be fun. We came out here to accomplish a goal, which was to win a gold medal. That's basically supposed to be the most fun of all."

Team NBA/USA has already suffered two losses. It finished fourth in Group B, the weaker of the two pools. The players have struggled with inconsistency, and head coach Larry Brown has done a lot of complaining.

Still they are in the elimination round of the tournament, and like every other team is just three victories away from a gold medal.

The United States will play Spain in a quarterfinal game on Thursday.

"It's always been clear," said USA forward Lamar Odom. "It never got dark, even with the losses. We knew the competition was going to be tough, but we also know that everybody is 0-0 right now.

"We're confident in ourselves. If we carry that confidence onto the court, play with some chemistry; everyone fall in line to do the small things, we'll have no problem."

Win three more games and these Olympics are a success for Team NBA/USA. Put a gold medal around your neck, and nothing matters except that you are an Olympic champion.

Still in the end, even if they are successful and definitely if they are not, will it have been worth the multimedia pounding they've taken for not being as dominant as United States basketball is supposed to be?

"I think the scrutiny and criticism has been foolish and almost childish on the part of those who have partaken in that," said USA assistant and San Antonio Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich. "These guys volunteered to do this. They are using their summers to do this.

"We're busting their (butts) on a daily basis to try and form a basketball team. They are doing the best job they can and are getting better all of the time. Why would anybody criticize them for that? I think it's just ignorant, those that do."

But it happened when the United States went 3-2 in pool play with losses to Puerto Rico and Lithuania. And it'll happen again if they don't win the gold medal.

So is it worth it?

"It's an honor," Iverson said, "and if I had the chance to represent my country again I would, but it hasn't been drop-dead fun like we thought it would be.

"Still I'd tell anyone to go (to the Beijing Olympics in 2008.) It's an honor to represent your country. You have to be a great player to get asked to represent your country. If a guy asked me, even if I had the worst time, I'd definitely tell him he should go."

The question USA Basketball and the NBA might have to struggle with is will any other players bother to ask the guys who are in Athens.

They see what these guys are going through. They see how some have ridiculed these guys for given up their vacation after a long NBA season to represent their country.

It's not a stretch to believe that in the future USA Basketball might have an even tougher time finding players who are willing to commit to the World Championships, Qualifying Tournaments and the Olympics.

"I hope not," Odom said. "There's everything to gain from this even with the scrutiny. You take a little scrutiny, but that's OK.

"It's not about just winning or losing. It's about competing on the world stage and representing your country."

Ginofan
08-23-2004, 08:56 PM
"I think the scrutiny and criticism has been foolish and almost childish on the part of those who have partaken in that," said USA assistant and San Antonio Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich. "These guys volunteered to do this. They are using their summers to do this.

"We're busting their (butts) on a daily basis to try and form a basketball team. They are doing the best job they can and are getting better all of the time. Why would anybody criticize them for that? I think it's just ignorant, those that do."

Amen to that Pop. I wish more journalists and fans had that type of attitude and stopped with the negativity.

TastesLikeChicken
08-24-2004, 11:52 AM
It's funny how the Sydney Olympic team had 12 NBA all-stars and had to squeak out a 2 point win.

Yet people are shocked that this Athens team which only has 5 all-stars isn't blowing away the competition.