PDA

View Full Version : Cavs Frustrated By Gooden Talks, Look To Reggie Evans

ducks
07-29-2006, 09:40 AM
Cavs Frustrated By Gooden Talks, Look To Reggie Evans
29th July, 2006 - 6:29 am
Akron Beacon-Journal - The Drew Gooden contract stalemate with the Cavaliers now seems to have frustrated both sides, the Akron Beacon-Journal is reporting.

Following initial contract talks earlier this month that showed a wide gap, Gooden's agents decided to pursue sign-and-trade options for the restricted free agent forward. Nothing has gotten done, and now it's the Cavaliers who might be getting antsy.

According to two league executives, the Cavs are hoping to schedule a meeting with free agent forward Reggie Evans next week and might also look to pursue another free agent big man, Lorenzen Wright.

It seems the team is looking to investigate other options in case the talks with Gooden don't work out, and it might also be trying to put pressure on him to accept the current deal on the table. The Cavs still have their $5.2 million midlevel exception, as well as the biannual exception to work with.

They own the rights to Gooden, so they can match any offers and also can sign him without using the exceptions. And re-signing Gooden still appears to be the Cavs' top priority.

Evans, however, is a player Cavs General Manager Danny Ferry has kept an eye on since last summer.

spurschick
07-29-2006, 09:46 AM
I was just looking at this in the NBA forum...
I know there is a debate about the guy's work ethic and I'm not even sure what would need to happen for him to possibly come here. Trading one of our big starting four isn't an option, as far as I'm concerned. If the Cavs sign someone else along with Gooden, would a trade, along with a pick or two, be possible or even worth it?

SequSpur
07-29-2006, 10:11 AM
Dude, gooden is going to get the minimum if they drop that 5 mill on someone else.

Sign him up!

Please_dont_ban_me
07-29-2006, 11:22 AM
Gooden's game is annoying.

Not to mention he doesn't play D, at all. I'd take him for the minimum to come off te bench in a Glenn Robinson'esqu role...nothing more.

CavsFan89
07-29-2006, 11:32 AM
We (the Cavs) dont have to you the MLE or BAE to sign Gooden.

exstatic
07-29-2006, 11:43 AM
Gooden is starting to find out what others already know: he just isn't that highly regarded around the league. The lack of defense and overall effort speaks to why he will likely be on his fourth NBA team in his fifth year in the NBA. He didn't help his cause by having a perfectly awful "contract" year. His scoring dropped, as did his rebounding, FT% (sharply), assists, steals, and blocks. If he had had his 04-05 season last year, he probably would have been one of the most desirable FAs in the class. He'll probably wind up with a chunk of the MLE for 3 years from someone.

Stephen A.Smith
07-29-2006, 11:54 AM
now i think Mr. Gooden here, has some game. HOWEVA, what this man brings to the table is no less than that of,,,RASHO NESTEROVIC or, god forbid, even ERIC DAMPIER! the focus around this team is clearly one that is building around Lebron. they need a strong power forward who can clear the glass. The Z man is too soft and too lazy to do THAT job. i think we can all agree. right now there best option is Ira Newble........no

dbestpro
07-29-2006, 12:27 PM
now i think Mr. Gooden here, has some game. HOWEVA, what this man brings to the table is no less than that of,,,RASHO NESTEROVIC or, god forbid, even ERIC DAMPIER! the focus around this team is clearly one that is building around Lebron. they need a strong power forward who can clear the glass. The Z man is too soft and too lazy to do THAT job. i think we can all agree. right now there best option is Ira Newble........no

That settles it. Whatever Stephen A. says you can count on the opposite. Gooden will be an allstar.

Nikos
07-29-2006, 05:50 PM
I wouldn't mind Gooden despite his lack of defense. He is an excellent rebounder and very productive in that sense @ 30mpg.

exstatic
07-29-2006, 06:15 PM
I wouldn't mind Gooden despite his lack of defense. He is an excellent rebounder and very productive in that sense @ 30mpg.
The problem with that is, if you play shit defense, your ass will NOT be on the floor for 30 mpg. Just ask Nazr.

Nikos
07-29-2006, 06:55 PM
The problem with that is, if you play shit defense, your ass will NOT be on the floor for 30 mpg. Just ask Nazr.

Well apparently if you play solid defense like Rasho you never see the court either. I would take my chances with Gooden.