PDA

View Full Version : Ginobili: Argentina still has "hunger" to win

ducks
07-29-2006, 10:00 AM
Ginobili: Argentina still has "hunger" to win
July 27, 2006

MAR DEL PLATA, Argentina (Ticker) - Manu Ginobili has promised that Argentina will demonstrate its "hunger" for glory at next month's World Basketball Championships.

Argentina won the 2004 Olympics after finishing second in the 2002 World Championships, enhancing its reputation as an international power. The Argentines are among five or six nations that have a chance to win the World Championships.

"It's well known that all of us are hungry, that we all want more," said Ginobili, the star guard of the San Antonio Spurs. "If our attitude had been different, we would have stayed at home. We want to return to the level we had in the 2004 Olympic Games."

ADVERTISEMENT
With many familiar faces such as Andres Nocioni and Fabricio Oberto but a new coach in Sergio Hernandez, Argentina faces Venezuela in an exhibition game Friday night.

"In the first friendlies, we will not be at our best, as we're still in preseason," Ginobili told reporters at the team's training camp. "But everybody's aim is to get to the World Championship opener against France (on August 19) at 100 percent.

"We're a bit slow and awkward, but we all know each other very well and we know what we need. We have to go on being united and to return to the group makes us feel very happy. We've reached two important finals together already, but the atmosphere is like you would expect if we were playing for our first goal."

In the World Championships, Argentina is in Group A with reigning champion Serbia & Montenegro, France, Venezuela, Nigeria and Lebanon. Ginobili knows his team has a bull's-eye on its back.

"All the teams will want to beat Argentina, because the gold medal in Athens makes us one of the top teams," he said. "We'll all have to take care of each other, no matter if they are younger or older. We won't win only with names. We'll progress with hard work, as always."

SequSpur
07-29-2006, 10:12 AM
He may be hungry but he still has no brains.

ducks
07-29-2006, 10:14 AM
I would say his iq is higher then yours

spurschick
07-29-2006, 10:16 AM
By the way, Argentina beat Venezuela in a friendly last night 96-82.

ARG - Manu leads Argentina fightback against Venezuela

MAR DEL PLATA (FIBA World Championship) – Argentina marked their preparations for next month’s FIBA World Championship with a 96-82 victory over Venezuela in Mar del Plata.

It was the first time in two years the 2004 Olympic champions had played a game in Argentina and they were made to battle for the win, coming back from 44-37 down at half-time.

Superstar Manu Ginobili was in impressive form for Sergio Hernandez’ team, pouring in 20 points.

And Ginobili’s San Antonio Spurs team-mate Fabricio Oberto believes the result showed promise ahead of the trip to Japan.

“We played very well," he said. "We improved a lot in the second half. In the first period we wanted to do everything, but we could not do anything.

“But we must be patient. It was the first step. We know how to train before a great tournament. The most important thing is to arrive in Japan in good form.”

Argentina will continue their build-up to the FIBA World Championship by playing in a Super Four tournament, along with the Venezuelans, Brazil and New Zealand.

Once in Japan, they will be in Group A with two-time defending champions Serbia & Montenegro - the team that beat them in overtime in the 2002 final in Indianapolis.

France, Lebanon, Nigeria and Venezuela will also be in the pool.

diego
07-29-2006, 10:22 AM
i saw the second half, which was apparently much better than the 1st.

Oberto started of slow, missing his first 3 or 4 attempts, but started picking it up later. He had a couple blocks too.

Manu didnt push it much, he shot a lot of 3s (poorly), made a couple floaters and had some nice steals, one which he took all the way for a breakaway dunk, and he had a block.

Probably the best players for Argentina were Scola who had a near perfect game (something like 6-7 FG and 5 or 6 boards, sorry but no boxscore) and Delfino who at least in the stretch I saw was balling: nailing threes, juking fools, throwin it down, pickin pockets, making dishes, just perfect.

picnroll
07-29-2006, 10:26 AM
Hopefully Scola has a HUUGGGEEE FIBA WC and his trade value goes WAAAYYY up.

spurschick
07-29-2006, 10:27 AM
Probably the best players for Argentina were Scola who had a near perfect game (something like 6-7 FG and 5 or 6 boards, sorry but no boxscore) and Delfino who at least in the stretch I saw was balling: nailing threes, juking fools, throwin it down, pickin pockets, making dishes, just perfect.

I couldn't find a box score anywhere either. :lol Interesting about Delfino. I wonder if a lively performance in the WCs will turn into more PT in the NBA.

diego
07-29-2006, 10:32 AM
yeah i looked some more and all I found was another write up from an Argie paper, there they say manu had 18, Scola 18, and Delfino 12.

I'm quite sure though that Scola only had one miss the whole game, he drew a lot of fouls using fakes and he also had at least 3 offensive boards.

ducks
07-29-2006, 10:37 AM
scola will choke in the bigger games like usually

diego
07-29-2006, 11:09 AM
what are you talking about ducks?
Scola was a shade below manu in ppg and FG% in the olympics and was selected for the tourney's top players.

danyel
07-29-2006, 12:51 PM

Like he choked the gold medal game with 25 points and 11 rebounds?

smeagol
07-29-2006, 01:05 PM
stupid comment fron ducks

He may be hungry but he still has no brains.
Even stupider comment fron Sequ

Mr. Body
07-29-2006, 01:14 PM

:wtf :nope

abelle23
07-31-2006, 03:01 PM

i thought he was talking abut tony....

ducks
07-31-2006, 03:08 PM
i thought he was talking abut tony....