PDA

View Full Version : Magloire traded

spursmode
07-29-2006, 05:53 PM
Finally Magloire is traded to Blazers for Blake, Skinner and Jin.
Announcement on Hoopshype

exstatic
07-29-2006, 06:11 PM
There's got to be more to it, maybe picks. That trash is worse that what we were supposedly offering...

El_Mago
07-29-2006, 06:57 PM
If true, it's pretty much a Blake for Magloire deal because Jin is a non-factor, and Skinner below a role player.

Kori Ellis
07-29-2006, 06:58 PM
It's weird that the Bucks would take that over any Barry package.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-29-2006, 07:03 PM
Shows how much Magloire's stock has fallen.

I'm glad we didn't acquire him, and I don't expect his fortunes to improve markedly this year in Portland.

Kori Ellis
07-29-2006, 07:04 PM
I read that they think Blake might start :wtf

spurschick
07-29-2006, 07:07 PM

I picked up Blake on my fantasy team when my guards started dropping like flies. I was actually pleasantly surprised. Granted, his numbers weren't fantastic for a starter, but I wasn't expecting a whole lot from any starter in Portland. He did better than I expected.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-29-2006, 07:08 PM
There are some teams doing some very strange things this off-season... :lol

exstatic
07-29-2006, 07:09 PM
Beno > Blake

Big P
07-29-2006, 07:16 PM
It's weird that the Bucks would take that over any Barry package.

Kori, when was Barry offered for Magloire? Did this happen recently, or was this before we signed Elson & Butler?

El_Mago
07-29-2006, 07:24 PM
It was never publicly stated that the Spurs had offered a package including Barry for Magloire.

However, it has been publicly stated in SA Articles that Barry is on the block, so that along with possibly Udrih or the rights to Scola could have been offerred if the Spurs had contacted the Bucks.

Blake is not a bad player. I know that when Telfair was struggling in Portland, he was playing good minutes and Nate would insert him into the crucial minutes of the 4th because he had good control of the ball and was composed.

ChumpDumper
07-29-2006, 07:33 PM
Man, that trade is craptacular for the Bucks. I at least would've tried to get Dixon out of that deal.

timvp
07-29-2006, 07:36 PM
Mo Williams > Charlie Bell > Steve Blake

Mr. Body
07-29-2006, 07:37 PM
The Spurs were probably never interested in Magloire except as a last resort. It would have had to be Barry + another piece to make the salaries work - I think - which is too much for one year's worth of Magloire.

Mr. Body
07-29-2006, 07:37 PM
Man, that trade is craptacular for the Bucks. I at least would've tried to get Dixon out of that deal.

It's as much as they could have gotten. It's Magloire for only one year.

timvp
07-29-2006, 07:42 PM
For Portland, they must think LaMarcus Aldridge is nowhere near ready. Zach Randolph, Joel Przybilla, Raef Lafrentz, Jamaal Magloire and Brian Skinner? That's pretty stacked with mediocre talent that will want a lot of minutes.

ChumpDumper
07-29-2006, 07:44 PM
Yeah, it's Magloire. That deal is stank unless they think those young guys have any upside. I don't.

Kori Ellis
07-29-2006, 07:48 PM
It was repeatedly reported in the Express-News (prior to Butler/Elson) that the Spurs were exploring trades to get Magloire but that they didn't have enough to get him.

Mr. Body
07-29-2006, 07:51 PM
For Portland, they must think LaMarcus Aldridge is nowhere near ready. Zach Randolph, Joel Przybilla, Raef Lafrentz, Jamaal Magloire and Brian Skinner? That's pretty stacked with mediocre talent that will want a lot of minutes.

Skinner was in the deal. Aldridge backs up Randolph. Magloire comes off the bench to relieve Aldridge of some banging (Przybilla starts). Lafrentz plays until Aldridge comes around. Aldridge is "nowhere near ready" because they signed a backup center for one year?!!?!??!?!!?!!???

Mr. Body
07-29-2006, 07:51 PM
It was repeatedly reported in the Express-News (prior to Butler/Elson) that the Spurs were exploring trades to get Magloire but that they didn't have enough to get him.

As above, not talent-wise, but salary-wise.

El_Mago
07-29-2006, 07:59 PM
If the Spurs would have gone after Magloire, then they would have had to jeopardize that 08' plan.

The Spurs would have either had to sign Magloire for a longer term passing 08 or would have let him walk, more than likely the latter would have occurred.

Then, the Spurs would have had to gone out and signed another Center for another year, which would have been a poor one because most seek multi-year deal's and this center would only have to have been on a one year deal, so that it wouldn't jeopardize the 08' free agency.

Thus, the Spurs signed Elson for two years, and have the third year option on Butler, which allows them to secure two Centers for the next two years without jeopardizing the cap for 08'.

They played it smart.

Fillmoe
07-29-2006, 08:08 PM
why do the bucks need 3 point guards? they have Williams/Bell and now Blake all 3 of them are good PGs....

but blake is 10 times better than barry.... barry is old blake is in his 3rd or 4th year... he has nowhere but up to go... while barry is in like his 11th

Kori Ellis
07-29-2006, 08:10 PM
As above, not talent-wise, but salary-wise.

I thought it clearly meant talent-wise. He only makes $8M.

Milwaukee is trying to trade Jamaal Magloire but doesn't like what the Spurs have to offer.

Milwaukee is trying to move Jamaal Magloire, but it's yet to be determined whether the Spurs have enough assets — namely Brent Barry and Scola's rights — to make any deal.

kobe_bryant
07-29-2006, 09:07 PM
Why lakers not try to get him guy?

dbestpro
07-29-2006, 10:51 PM
Look for some more Portland moves. They are trying to get Miles out of town, but need to package him with other desirable players cause no one wants him straight up.

ducks
07-29-2006, 11:27 PM
Magloire might have been leaked out for a pr move for the spurs but spurs did not want him

mabber
07-30-2006, 12:40 PM

I've read that Mo Williams would probably be the starting PG.

Spurs9
07-31-2006, 11:22 AM
:lmao