PDA

View Full Version : Your Top 5 Favorite Spurs Moments

baseline bum
07-29-2006, 11:52 PM
I jacked this topic from another forum. Fans of other teams, feel free to add your top 5 for your team...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

5. David Robinson's first game at Hemisfair - it was the first time I ever got a chance to root for a winner (I became a fan in 85). The exciement when David Robinson came to San Antonio was higher than I can ever remember it being at any other time, discounting the trips to the Finals of course. David made this team matter again, and I'll never forget the electricity of that night in Hemisfair, when David first let me see the Spurs beat Magic, Worthy, and the Lakers.

4. Game 1 if the 1998 playoffs in Phoenix - That was the first time I started truly believing we had a Larry Bird caliber player in Tim Duncan. The way he just completely ran through Phoenix's front line (including an amazing player in Antonio McDyess) was legendary. I'll never forget Kevin Harlan's scream of "Duncan CAN NOT BE STOPPED!" as he was just dismantling their entire frontline. I wish I could find a copy of that game somewhere.

3. Stephen Jackson's three to take a 73-72 lead in game 6 of the 2003 Finals - I loved seeing Jack contribute so much to winning a title. I was a huge Jack fan from the second he got here, and I was disappointed he got so little run in 2001-02. I was really excited when he started tearing up the Summer League in 2002, and to see him culminate the season with a performance like that in game 6 to win the title was unforgettable.

2. Father's Day Dagger - That was by far the most stressful game I've ever seen as a Spurs fan. Every possession you went from a monumental collapse and a lost shot at a title to the greatest season in Spurs history and vice versa. When Rob hit that shot you knew it was over, a feeling that I strangely didn't have when Tim hit the shot over Shaq and Malone with 0.4 left the previous year.

1. Memorial Day Miracle - no real explanation needed... if you were there, you understand. If you weren't, nothing I could say would recreate the moment @ the Dome.

THE SIXTH MAN
07-30-2006, 01:08 AM
5.)And with the first pick in this years NBA draft the San Antonio Spurs select Tim Duncan out of Wake Forest. :smokin

4.)Ive been a spurs fan my whole life, and I've witnessed a lot of great moments. But Ill always remember the "memorial day miracle". And I'm happy to say I was there that day.

3.)2003 was a great year for many reasons. Winning your second championship is great but not as good as your first one though.

2.)2005 was by far In my opinion the toughest road to the championship. In the first round Denver was the hottest team in the league at that time since the all star break. In the second round Seattle was also surprising teams with the season they had. The third round was great as well. Facing an Amare lead Phoenix sun team was no walk in the park. And finally taking it away from that years defending champs made all the more sweeter :king .

1.)1999 well lets just say you never forget your first. :)

J.T.
07-30-2006, 01:52 AM
5) 2006 WCSF Game 6 GTG @ Kori's house, that game and the GTG fucking rocked
4) Duncan drafted
3) Memorial Day Miracle/1999 Championship
2) 2003 Finals Game 6, nice comeback from 20+ to win the trophy
1) 2005 Finals Game 7

Personally, I have a soft spot for that game because I was there, and it was the day before my birthday, so the next day was special because I had two things to celebrate. I quite possibly had one of the worst seats in the entire arena. Club 200, about 4th from last row, at this weird behind the basket angle. Lucky in the 2nd half that was Detroit's basket so I was able to see our shots clearly. I stood up the whole game and blew out my voice by halftime and kept going. My voice and hands hurt like a bitch for about a week but it was totally the best day of my life.

SpursWillOwn
07-30-2006, 02:02 AM
i was a spurs fan since last year, thats when i first started to watch nba.. but i remembered a commentator saying "Duncan was like playing among a bunch of high school kids" in the 2003 run.. favourite moment.. it's gotta be big shot rob 2005

Winnipeg_Spur
07-30-2006, 02:08 AM
4. Game 1 if the 1998 playoffs in Phoenix - That was the first time I started truly believing we had a Larry Bird caliber player in Tim Duncan. The way he just completely ran through Phoenix's front line (including an amazing player in Antonio McDyess) was legendary. I'll never forget Kevin Harlan's scream of "Duncan CAN NOT BE STOPPED!" as he was just dismantling their entire frontline. I wish I could find a copy of that game somewhere.
That's the game that turned me into a Spurs fan. We didn't get many games but I saw that one and Timmy instantly became my favourite player in the league.

Obstructed_View
07-30-2006, 02:38 AM
5. April 7, 1992. Spurs vs. Rockets. My first NBA game, I won tickets on the radio, sat in the obstructed view seats.

4. 2003 NBA Finals, game 6. 19-0. The most talented Spurs team hitting on all cylinders, if only for a short time. Robinson going out in style.

3. 2003 Western Conference finals, game 6. 23-0. Spurs hitting on all cylinders, Mavericks getting eliminated. Awesome.

2. 1999 NBA title.

1. Russ Granik saying "The first pick in the 1997 NBA draft goes to the San Antonio Spurs".

toosmallshoes
07-30-2006, 04:14 AM
1.Memorial Day Miracle: It was my first day at my new job. The game ended about one minute before I had to go to work. I gave everyone in the restaraunt a high five and then went to work.
2.Game Six in 2003: My brother and I went to the SBC center to buy scalped tickets. We finally got some duckets after a pro scalper laughed at a few ticket holders who were asking too much for their tickets. We were there when the confetti fell. Wow.
3. I don't remember what year it was, but I broke the driver's side window out in my car when the Jazz knocked the Spurs out of the playoffs. Late 90's. Stupid.
4. Robert Horry's shot in 2005.
5. Getting wasted in the first 20 rows at the Almodome after my grandparents gave me two VIP tickets they won in a raffle. Spurs vs. Clippers. Very late 90's. Drinks cost a lot in the VIP section. But the bartenders are a lot nicer.

sanman53
07-30-2006, 07:31 AM
1. Big Dave walking off the court a champion! A great player, a great person, what a way to go out!
2. 71 Points: I did not watch this game, but I spent the entire season that year recording every point/board Drob had (this was before I had the internet). I watched CNN and they showed Shaq first, then they showed Drob. I was going insane! I can still see those highlights in my mind.
3. 1st Championship: I jumped up so high when we won I hit my head on the ceiling.
4. G1 98 p/o in PX: I remember that game as well. Kevin Harlan was going crazy, as was I. Tim could not be stopped.
5. Going to my second Spurs game in Memphis, TN in 03. My friend and I dressed in Spurs attire (face painted, wigs, jerseys, etc.) and cheered the entire game. In OT, Spurs down by 9, some guy points his finger in my face and laughs at me and says, "Spurs are losing to the Griz!" Others were shouting "Only thing in Texas are steers and queers!" (I'm not even from TX, lol). Tim hit a shot at the buzzer to win the game. My friend and I cheered so loudly after that shot! We stayed in the arena cheering until everyone left. I only laughed when the guy who laughed at me when he walked by me with his hand covering his face.

Go Spurs Go!

gospursgojas
07-30-2006, 08:58 AM

Wasn't that in the game against Utah when Duncan tipped the O. Rebound about 3 times then finally just threw it down on like 3 Jazz??? Aww well Anyway..........

5.Stephen Jackson's three 3's in game 6 of the 03 Finals

4.Sean Ellioit's Dunk against the Hawks in his return game after kidney transplant surgery.

3.Game 5 of the 99 Finals

2.Father's day dagger

1.Memorial Day Miracle

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-30-2006, 10:47 AM
5 When Damon Stoudamire said that any team that has Avery Johnson as their point guard will never win a championship. Boy, was that bitch wrong! :lmao
4 20+ Point Comeback In 03 Finals. This is was so much better because this was DRob's time. He was supposed to go out on top. And he did! Props to DRob!!!
3 Memorial Day Miracle. I was so scared. I thought they were gonna talk it over and see whether or not it was out of bounds or not. This game was like #4 by coming back by a lot and then winning.
2 Avery Hitting The GW Shot In 99 G5. That was one of the moments that really had me thinking because this one those moments where someone small overcomes and does something big. He was cut like what? 3 times by the Spurs? That's barely making to going to starting lineup to making the GW shot to give a team their 1st championship. Also Biggest Props to Avery!
1 Father's Day Dagger. Plus that sick-ass dunk! I was so scared because I thought they were gonna call a charge. When Manu passed it to Horry I never knew it would come so easy. When that shot went up I tried to think of any other time the Spurs made a GW shot. Such # 2 and 3.

exstatic
07-30-2006, 04:55 PM
1 Game 6 vs. Nets 2003
2 Game 5 vs. Knicks 1999
3 Game 7 vs. Pistons 2005
4 MDM
5 1997 draft lottery day

50 cent
07-30-2006, 05:58 PM
5. Horry's Dunk and the Father's Day Dagger.

4. Memorial Day Miracle - I was there for this one as well and the electricity in the Dome that day was nothing short of amazing.

3. The first title. All those nights listening to Jay Howard on the radio and always being disappointed in the playoffs didn't matter anymore.

2. 2005 title - I was there and being there for the confetti falling and trophy presentation after a Game #7 in the Finals was a once in a lifetime type of thing.

1. Drob going out a Champion

MannyIsGod
07-30-2006, 06:07 PM
5) Even though we lost the game...Manu's 3 at the end of the fourth in Game 7 against Dallas this year. Seriously, the peak at that moment was phenomanal. It really was one of the greater moments I've ever witnessed as a Spurs fan.

4) Game 6 against Dallas in 03. I remember watching it at Maggies and when Jack tossed up the 3 that started the rally everyone in unison said NO NO NO YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! Watching that game with the ST crew was bad ass.

3) Robert Horry in game 5 last year. Holy shit man, Holy shit.

2) The Memorial Day Miracle.

1) Watching them win it in 99. It'll never be that sweet again. Never.

clambake
07-30-2006, 06:12 PM
#1 When Manu fouled Dirk in game seven was THE top spur moment!!!

Oh, is this thread meant for Spurs Fans?

MannyIsGod
07-30-2006, 06:14 PM
:lol, when your top moment as a fan occurs in the 2nd round of the playoffs, what does that say about your team?

:)

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-30-2006, 06:37 PM
#1. Game 6 vs. the Nets. Being there to see your team win a world title at home is something that not a lot of people get to do in their lives. It was a tremendous experience and one I'll never forget. Then there was going out that night in SA with everyone partying, and driving back to College Station at 5 AM after celebrating all night to take a test in summer school. Walked in sporting Spurs championship t-shirt and cap 20 minutes late (damn 8 o'clocks). The prof had a good laugh over that one.

#2. DRob's jersey retirement. First time in my life I've seen my father cry. If you were there, there wasn't a dry in the house and rightfully so.

#3. Father's Day Dagger. Manu to Horry. No explanation needed.

#4. Memorial Day Miracle. I remember coming home from my aunt's at the start of the fourth with the Spurs down big time. Listened to the game on the radio all the way and got in the door and turned on the TV in time to see *the shot*.

#5. DRob's Quadruple Double vs. Detroit. Another one of those moments I'll always remember, my dad and I were row 20 for that one, and at the start of the fourth we realized he just needed two more blocks and an assist to pull it off. Block #10 came on Lindsey Hunter.

Honorable Mention: the Tim Duncan game against Phoenix where he went crazy on their whole front line. I have never seen a player in the post do what he did that game. Total array of shots and moves, he was just toying with them.

Honorable Mention #2: DRob's 71 point game, I was stuck listening to it on radio because there was no TV. And apparently no game tape either :pctoss

MrChug
07-31-2006, 11:49 AM
1. 1999 Championship...Dave's face, just the greatest.
2. Robert Horry's game 5 performance in the 4th quarter.
3. Manu's 48...just rediculous.
4. Memorial Day Miracle.
5. Shutting down the Great Western Forum in LA in '99. Jack's clapping at the buzzer.

George Gervin's Afro
07-31-2006, 12:11 PM
5. Memorial Day Miracle
4. Game 6 2003 WCSF clincher against the Lakers (I hated the lakers)
3. 2005 Game 7 NBA Finals win
2. 1999 NBA Finals game 5 (close to #1) I shed a tear..
1. 2003 NBA Finals game 6. It was my first Fathers day and I was with my dad watching the game at Ernie's in the Crockett Hotel. We celebrated with 100,000 of our closest friends until the wee hours of the morning.. Like Peter Holt said when asked if it ever got old winning championships " We're going to keep on doing, keep on doing it San Antonio Spurs!"

baseline bum
07-31-2006, 11:59 PM
Wasn't that in the game against Utah when Duncan tipped the O. Rebound about 3 times then finally just threw it down on like 3 Jazz???

Nah... that game was on NBC. I remember it was the third to last game of the season in 99. Duncan had just hit 2 FT to make a big comeback against Portland the night before (or maybe 2 nights before), then they beat Utah in a monster fourth quarter comeback, then they beat Portland again on the road this time, then closed out the best record in Golden State... an amazing end to the season.

joeyjfive
08-01-2006, 12:21 AM
Hey guys heres the box score to that 1998 playoff game 1 vs phoniex.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/games/boxscore.cgi?date=1998-04-23&tm1=SAS&tm2=PHO
Just thought it would be kool to post it, David had a pretty good game too.

Condemned 2 HelLA
08-01-2006, 04:00 AM
#1 When Manu fouled Dirk in game seven was THE top spur moment!!!

Oh, is this thread meant for Spurs Fans?

Remind us all again how that wound up working out for the Mavs in the end, would you?
:lol

Obstructed_View
08-01-2006, 04:38 AM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/games/boxscore.cgi?date=1998-04-23&tm1=SAS&tm2=PHO
What I always remembered about that game was not just that Duncan was unstoppable, but that Duncan and Robinson just absolutely annihilated that team. That series was IMO the peak of the twin towers. IINM that was also the "I will not be mishandled" series.

Mavs Fan In Egypt
08-01-2006, 05:03 AM
lets see...
1. When the mavs beat the spurs in game 2 (2006 playoffs)
2. When the mavs beat the spurs in game 3 (2006 playoffs)
3. When the mavs beat the spurs in game 4 (2006 playoffs)
4. When the mavs beat the spurs in game 7 (2006 playoffs)
5. When ginobli did the exact opposite of what greg popobitch told him to do when he fouled dirk in game 7. what an idiot.

Mavs_man_41
08-01-2006, 05:33 AM
^ lol i was thinking the same thing but didnt want to be a jack ass

bdictjames
08-01-2006, 09:28 AM
#1 When Miami won game 2

#2 When Miami won game 3

#3 As usual, Miami won again

#4 Miami won game 6 and got the championship

#5 Mavs got owned, you should have seen the look on Dirk and Cuban's face he looked like he was going to run to their mommies

Mavs Fan In Egypt
08-01-2006, 09:45 AM
wow, your top five favourite spurs moments arent even related to your team because oops! the spurs didnt make it to the finals did they? its okkkk the second round is not that bad... for the spurs... :spin

Beaverfuzz
08-01-2006, 10:42 AM
wow, your top five favourite spurs moments arent even related to your team because oops! the spurs didnt make it to the finals did they? its okkkk the second round is not that bad... for the spurs... :spin

Thank you Bridesmaid.

MrChug
08-01-2006, 10:57 AM

How cute...look guys! It's another one! :troll

Look child, the only numbers you need to know are 3 and 1....I'll give you a hint: What is it that the Spurs have three of and you have NONE of??? Give up? Well, that proves you're as dumb as you sound :lol At least the Spurs won't be the answer to the trivia question: "What NBA team is responsible for the single biggest choke job in Finals history?" :lmao

degenerate_gambler
08-01-2006, 11:14 AM
5. 1979 - Spurs win their very first NBA playoff series with Game 7 win over Philly at the Arena.

4. Game 6 - '03 vs. Mavs and watching SJ and Kerr and Co. run off 23 straight and outscore Dallas 34-9 I believe in that final quarter.

3. The whole '99 playoff run...especially the way SA closed out LA in the final game ever at the Forum.

2. Ice scoring 63 pts to win the first of his four NBA scoring titles. He had 53 by halftime including 33 pts in the 2nd qtr, still an NBA record I might add.

1. Memorial Day Miracle

to21
08-01-2006, 12:55 PM
5. Sean's first game coming back from transplant surgery (I was there).
4. 2005 game 7 Title win (I was there).
3. 1999 Title.
2. Father's Day Dagger (I was there, Uncle lives in Detroit).
1b. Memorial Day Miracle (I was there, lost my voice and a expensive watch).
1a. Celebrating after each title win downtown with my fellow Spur fans (even the fairweather ones).

degenerate_gambler
08-01-2006, 01:36 PM
yeah, was that the game where steve kerr nailed 4 3-pointers late in the 4th? He just couldn't miss. That was shortly after I became a fan. Saw it on TV.

that be the one..

E20
08-01-2006, 02:18 PM
Dave had a better game than Tim, I don't see how Tim had such a good game with 32 points and 10 rebounds compared to Robinson.

Mavs Fan In Egypt
08-02-2006, 12:29 AM
Hey e20 thanks for posting that picture. it reminds me of what happened after that....

exstatic
08-02-2006, 12:33 AM
Hey e20 thanks for posting that picture. it reminds me of what happened after that....
Which reminds US of what happened after THAT... :lol :lol :lol :lol

Mavs Fan In Egypt
08-02-2006, 12:48 AM
^which U had NOTHING to do with

E20
08-02-2006, 12:59 AM
Well my Top 5 is right here, keep in check that I'm a young gun and I'm gonna TRY keep my self to only 2000 and up, since I only became an avid Spurs fans from 1998

5: The 2004-2005 Season, Horry's game clinching three in Game 5 of the Finals, this was so amazing that I needed breath in a paper bag, the palace dead quiet and all I can remember is that Horry is grabbing his nuts and we have the lead. Then comes Game 6 and nearly all hope is lost, then comes Game 7 a close one until the end, when the Spurs break loose and WIN FOR THE THIRD TIME. The image of Ginobili and Duncan hugging like school girls and Tony humping Manu will forever be printed on the side of my brain forever.

4. 2002-2003 David goes out as a champion. Holy crap, this was amazing, David holding up that trophy with this amazingly buff arms side-by-side with Tim, in that epic photo, right there did I know that a truely great era in Basketball came to an end. I just wished I'd have seen him play more in the past.

3. With the 1st pick in the 1997 draft the San Antonio Spurs select from Wake Forest -- Tim Duncan. 87 and 97. Spurs were truely blessed at that time. No Duncan, we'd be the equivalence to the Hawks, no Duncan might mean No Ginobili and No Parker as well. That simple.

2. The Lock-out season?, The three hour daily Asterik debates? Memorial Day Miracle?, First 'Ship ever? Little AJ? 'Nuff said.

1. The Spurs sign Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili, I put this as #1 because, these two are the faces next to Duncan, these two are the quite possibly the future, these two are the supports, and these two are what made the Spurs known for International talent and a respect of international players.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
08-02-2006, 05:38 AM
5. watching Jordan's Bulls beat Robinson's Spurs in late-1990, the first NBA game televised on Australian TV (ABC) at 11.30pm on a Friday night. I was impressed by MJ, but so utterly captivated by DRob that I picked up a ball the next morning and drilled every day for the next 3 months to learn the basics of the game I have had a love affair with ever since. I also became a Spurs fan for life that day, the best decision I have EVER made! (Actually, it was more like answering a calling... ;) )

4. Game 5 1999, the Lil' General nails an 18-footer from the left corner to prove Damon Stoudamire's grand proclaimation that "San Antonio will never win a championship with Avery Johnson as point guard" wrong*. Also, FINALLY, our first championship! Unfortunately for us, non-Spurs fans would never shut up about the asterisk :madrun , until...

3. 3rd quarter, Game 6, WCFs v Dallas, 2003. A seldom-used but well-credentialled 3rd string quarterback and dead-eye shooter named Steve Kerr comes onto the floor with the Spurs down by 11 and looking dead to rights. Not only does Kerr (and fellow clutch shooter SJax) knock down a barrage (5 or 6?) 3s between them in a withering 4 minute stretch, but he also hassles and harries maestro point guard Steve Nash into 2 TOs and ineffectuality (my word). Kerr was soon to turn 38 years old. :fro

2. Late 3rd quarter, Game 7, Finals v Detroit, 2005, my girlfriends house (I was supposed to be at work) in Okinawa. Manu Ginobili was hero in games 1 and 2, hobbled villain in games 3 and 4, and steady in games 5 and 6, before finally unleashing Super-Manu again after a gut-wrenchingly difficult but rewarding 3rd quarter by Tim Duncan. Duncan carried the team to the threshold of victory, then Manu blew the Pistons away with two massive dunks, an end-to-end layup and a huge 3 into the 4th quarter (not in that order), clutchest of the clutch as he had been for most of the year. As that game ended I jumped so furiously for joy that my girlfriend thought the house was rocking, and I wept tears of jubilation that had strangely not appeared in 1999 (vindication) or 2003 (solidification). :smokin

1. every last moment I spent in San Antonio in March 2003 - 12 games live from the 7th row, hundreds of wonderful people who took me into their hearts, and the best month-long party of my life!!! :king Thank you from the bottom of my heart to all who participated... I WILL BE BACK (2008 at the latest).

*btw, have a read of this amusing column prior to the 1999 Finals:

http://weeklywire.com/ww/06-21-99/nash_cl-sports.html

exstatic
08-02-2006, 07:49 AM
^which U had NOTHING to do with
Doesn't matter, Troll. It's still funny as hell watching Cuban melt down like a two year old with a messy diaper. :lol :lol :lol :lol

Eric Dampier
08-02-2006, 08:28 AM
1. the Mavs gave the Spurs fans a glimmer of hope in game 7 and then slammed the door in their faces and those small whiny bitches went home and cried because the Spurs are all they have in life. HILARIOUS! GOOD FREAKIN TIMES! :lol especially when you know they worked so hard for it

2. the game after in game 4. the Spurs worked so hard to overcome the deficit and when they missed their last shot they knew it was over. they cried to the refs, knowing their season was slipping away. and mavs fans were laughing at the spurs fans who were leaving the arena with tears in their eyes :lol HILARIOUS! i was at that game. and im telling the truth.

3. Game 3. nothing was going our way in the end and they worked so hard for the road win only to have in snatched away when Duncan fouled out. Surs fans have to love that one :lol

George Gervin's Afro
08-02-2006, 08:39 AM
1. the Mavs gave the Spurs fans a glimmer of hope in game 7 and then slammed the door in their faces and those small whiny bitches went home and cried because the Spurs are all they have in life. HILARIOUS! GOOD FREAKIN TIMES! :lol especially when you know they worked so hard for it

2. the game after in game 4. the Spurs worked so hard to overcome the deficit and when they missed their last shot they knew it was over. they cried to the refs, knowing their season was slipping away. and mavs fans were laughing at the spurs fans who were leaving the arena with tears in their eyes :lol HILARIOUS! i was at that game. and im telling the truth.

3. Game 3. nothing was going our way in the end and they worked so hard for the road win only to have in snatched away when Duncan fouled out. Surs fans have to love that one :lol

Hey Damp did you ride on a float or in a car during the planned championship parade? What's that ring going to look like?

Eric Dampier
08-02-2006, 08:53 AM
Hey Damp did you ride on a float or in a car during the planned championship parade? What's that ring going to look like?
:blah :blah

talk, talk, talk. hey who's better. Dallas or San Antonio? thought so.

you seem to be happy this offseason. i guess making it to the 2nd round is ok for the Spurs. sorry but we're focused on winning championships and thats what we will do next year, while you guys will either get bounced by us, Phoenix, LA.

yall dont have a center so your not winning next year. give it up :lol

George Gervin's Afro
08-02-2006, 09:06 AM

you seem to be happy this offseason. i guess making it to the 2nd round is ok for the Spurs. sorry but we're focused on winning championships and thats what we will do next year, while you guys will either get bounced by us, Phoenix, LA.

so tell us what does it feel like to be an NBA champ? what about that WCF banner raising? pretty exciting to say the least..!! at least the mavs organization will now have 2 banners hanging in the AAC center..

Eric Dampier
08-02-2006, 09:12 AM
so tell us what does it feel like to be an NBA champ? what about that WCF banner raising? pretty exciting to say the least..!! at least the mavs organization will now have 2 banners hanging in the AAC center..

and what banner will you be raising this year?

anyway, the reason i say we are focused on winning championships is because all the threads about the Spurs talk about past glory. hell, thats what THIS thread is. we are talking about trades and looking torward the future by making deals to improve our team. what are you guys doing to counter an already better team getting even better? Spurs fans here have said stuff like "we should throw the season just to get Greg Oden. we should just give up this year, cause we're not involved in free agency."

to me it looks like one team is focused on the future and trying to build a championship team while the other is just envying past glory. just look at this thread.

yall know yall arent gonna win the whole thing this year. later

George Gervin's Afro
08-02-2006, 09:30 AM
and what banner will you be raising this year?

anyway, the reason i say we are focused on winning championships is because all the threads about the Spurs talk about past glory. hell, thats what THIS thread is. we are talking about trades and looking torward the future by making deals to improve our team. what are you guys doing to counter an already better team getting even better? Spurs fans here have said stuff like "we should throw the season just to get Greg Oden. we should just give up this year, cause we're not involved in free agency."

to me it looks like one team is focused on the future and trying to build a championship team while the other is just envying past glory. just look at this thread.

yall know yall arent gonna win the whole thing this year. later

since it is near impossible to go back to back what makes you so sure that you are going to get back to the finals? . let me guess you are counting on a foul in the final 30 seconds and another 69% shooting half? history is not on your side. history indicates we will respond quite nicely but hey you already know what's going to happen. when the mavs flame out again this year your failed sesaon last yr will just be a footnote in NBA lore... what i find most amazing about your post is your lecture spurs fans on winning championships..? :loser no offense but shouldn't you win one first before you talk like you have?

Eric Dampier
08-02-2006, 10:09 AM
since it is near impossible to go back to back what makes you so sure that you are going to get back to the finals? . let me guess you are counting on a foul in the final 30 seconds and another 69% shooting half? history is not on your side. history indicates we will respond quite nicely but hey you already know what's going to happen. when the mavs flame out again this year your failed sesaon last yr will just be a footnote in NBA lore... what i find most amazing about your post is your lecture spurs fans on winning championships..? :loser no offense but shouldn't you win one first before you talk like you have?

see. there ya go again. just proving my point. you think just because they won a championship before you think theyll just win it again. not so. im not talkin bout the past. im talkin bout our current teams and sayin we have a better chance because we brought in two defensive stoppers, and a true solid PG to help Terry. what have you guys done? yes i know you've won 3 rings in the past but that doesnt help you NOW. do you get what im saying at all?

(sounds like im talkkin to a five year old :rolleyes )

George Gervin's Afro
08-02-2006, 10:30 AM
see. there ya go again. just proving my point. you think just because they won a championship before you think theyll just win it again. not so. im not talkin bout the past. im talkin bout our current teams and sayin we have a better chance because we brought in two defensive stoppers, and a true solid PG to help Terry. what have you guys done? yes i know you've won 3 rings in the past but that doesnt help you NOW. do you get what im saying at all?

(sounds like im talkkin to a five year old :rolleyes )

well considering we won 63 games with the current team I think we're ok. Can any of these defensive stoppers handled Tim Duncan? The guy who owned the mavs the entire series? What exactly did the spurs need to do to make themsleves better genious? get more athletic? we did with elson and who at the very least is a push to the mavs diop.. bonner is a guy that play small ball and can knock down jumpshots.that leaves Tim Duncan again to eat you up.. tony parker, manu match up with whomever the mavs put on the floor and barry & finley off the bench ain't to shabby.. so again please tell me why we need to worry? so currently we match up quite nicely with the mavs

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-02-2006, 10:33 AM

Neither do you guys! Oh wait! Nope you still don't!

Eric Dampier
08-02-2006, 10:37 AM
well considering we won 63 games with the current team I think we're ok. Can any of these defensive stoppers handled Tim Duncan? The guy who owned the mavs the entire series? What exactly did the spurs need to do to make themsleves better genious? get more athletic? we did with elson and who at the very least is a push to the mavs diop.. bonner is a guy that play small ball and can knock down jumpshots.that leaves Tim Duncan again to eat you up.. tony parker, manu match up with whomever the mavs put on the floor and barry & finley off the bench ain't to shabby.. so again please tell me why we need to worry? so currently we match up quite nicely with the mavs

see. there ya go. i just wanted you to give me reasons on why you think youll win next year other than "we've won in the past"

Obstructed_View
08-02-2006, 01:37 PM
see. there ya go. i just wanted you to give me reasons on why you think youll win next year other than "we've won in the past"
It would be really nice to have a thread to talk about the Spurs without one of the goddamn mavericks idiots fucking it up.

rockets
08-02-2006, 01:59 PM
It would be really nice to have a thread to talk about the Spurs without one of the goddamn mavericks idiots fucking it up.

true. but what are YOU contributing? you havent even posted in this thread.

idiot. :rolleyes

ChumpDumper
08-02-2006, 02:00 PM
Why did you have to switch names to say that?

Obstructed_View
08-02-2006, 02:42 PM
true. but what are YOU contributing? you havent even posted in this thread.

idiot. :rolleyes
Seventh and 23rd posts in the thread, Louis.

remingtonbo2001
08-02-2006, 05:36 PM
Dampier.....History does matter you dip shit.....You know that class in High School that kept you from getting you DIPLOMA.....In basketball, the process of winning a championship plays a great deal into the character of not only the team, but the individual as well, something that your entire team lacks. Put it this way, it took a SPUR (Avery Johnson) for you guys even to make it to FINALS. Even then, you guys couldn't pull your heads out of your ass long enough to listen to AVERY.....You guys got caught up in the HOOPLA and BLEW IT.....At least when we MAKE IT to the FINALS we take care of BUSINESS....BITCH

RuffnReadyOzStyle
08-02-2006, 06:28 PM
Great, the thread gets hijacked, no-one bothers to read my post, and now we're onto another page. I have no idea why I put effort into posts. :depressed

RuffnReadyOzStyle
08-02-2006, 06:34 PM
After that drivel that took over this thread, I feel vindicated to make my post again as I know there are a few people out there who would probably enjoy reading it...

5. watching Jordan's Bulls beat Robinson's Spurs in late-1990, the first NBA game televised on Australian TV (ABC) at 11.30pm on a Friday night. I was impressed by MJ, but so utterly captivated by DRob that I picked up a ball the next morning and drilled every day for the next 3 months to learn the basics of the game I have had a love affair with ever since. I also became a Spurs fan for life that day, the best decision I have EVER made! (Actually, it was more like answering a calling... ;) )

4. Game 5 1999, the Lil' General nails an 18-footer from the left corner to prove Damon Stoudamire's grand proclaimation that "San Antonio will never win a championship with Avery Johnson as point guard" wrong*. Also, FINALLY, our first championship! Unfortunately for us, non-Spurs fans would never shut up about the asterisk :madrun , until...

3. 3rd quarter, Game 6, WCFs v Dallas, 2003. A seldom-used but well-credentialled 3rd string quarterback and dead-eye shooter named Steve Kerr comes onto the floor with the Spurs down by 11 and looking dead to rights. Not only does Kerr (and fellow clutch shooter SJax) knock down a barrage (5 or 6?) 3s between them in a withering 4 minute stretch, but he also hassles and harries maestro point guard Steve Nash into 2 TOs and ineffectuality (my word). Kerr was soon to turn 38 years old. :fro

2. Late 3rd quarter, Game 7, Finals v Detroit, 2005, my girlfriends house (I was supposed to be at work) in Okinawa. Manu Ginobili was hero in games 1 and 2, hobbled villain in games 3 and 4, and steady in games 5 and 6, before finally unleashing Super-Manu again after a gut-wrenchingly difficult but rewarding 3rd quarter by Tim Duncan. Duncan carried the team to the threshold of victory, then Manu blew the Pistons away with two massive dunks, an end-to-end layup and a huge 3 into the 4th quarter (not in that order), clutchest of the clutch as he had been for most of the year. As that game ended I jumped so furiously for joy that my girlfriend thought the house was rocking, and I wept tears of jubilation that had strangely not appeared in 1999 (vindication) or 2003 (solidification). :smokin

1. every last moment I spent in San Antonio in March 2003 - 12 games live from the 7th row, hundreds of wonderful people who took me into their hearts, and the best month-long party of my life!!! :king Thank you from the bottom of my heart to all who participated... I WILL BE BACK (2008 at the latest). :tu

*btw, have a read of this amusing column prior to the 1999 Finals:

http://weeklywire.com/ww/06-21-99/nash_cl-sports.html

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-02-2006, 09:28 PM

The best moments in Mavs history came in a semi-final series? :lol but also sad. On your part.

Obstructed_View
08-03-2006, 08:02 AM
AJ's pirouette juke of Stoudamire in the '99 playoffs and Elliott's dunk on Barkley are honorable mentions.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-03-2006, 10:47 AM
When my team finally knocked you guys out of the playoffs...... :elephant
So the greatest moment ever in Mavs history came in a semi-final series? You're just as pathetic as Dampier.

birdy219
08-03-2006, 05:20 PM
Because I agree with all of the playoff victories, I'll go in a little different direction.

Favorite Spur non playoff moments.

5. In 2002-2003 sweeping the Lakers during the reg season. I enjoyed each victory tremendously!! also in 2004- 2005:elephant

4. In 2004-2005, when Timmy gave Ben Wallace a facial and then just looked at him. :fro

3. 2004-2005 when Tony and Manu carried the team to back to back 2OT victories Manu-Clips and Tony-Warriors. They were both sick. :spin

2. Tie 2005-2006 The Tony Parker Show in Miami -38 points he was like the little assassin, and in Denver when the hating stupid fans were booing Manu and he GINOBILIZED the crowd when he ALONE stopped an alley-oop fast break by leaping and swatting the pass into the stands. All I could do is give my best Barkley imitation and say, "GINOBILIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!" :worthy: :sombrero:

1. Manu's 48 in Phoenix was Jordanesque. It was awesome to behold and I admit when I need a little cheering up. I watch this game and Game 6 2003 Lakers, then life seems a little brighter. :cheer :cheer :flag: :flag: :clap