PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Spurs' 2005 draft pick Mahinmi remains intriguing work in progress

usckk
07-29-2006, 11:59 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA073006.01C.BKNspurs.mahinmi.1759f2a.html

Spurs' 2005 draft pick Mahinmi remains intriguing work in progress

Web Posted: 07/29/2006 11:37 PM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

Ian Mahinmi was 18 years old, 6 feet, 10 inches tall, all limbs and potential.

"Coltish" was how one scout described Mahinmi after seeing him for the first time in France. The Spurs had their own name for him: John Mason.

Not wanting to tip off their interest in Mahinmi before the 2005 NBA draft, the Spurs gave him an alias. "John Mason" sounded like a basketball player, so the name stuck. Anyone eavesdropping wouldn't know the difference.

Or so the Spurs thought. With the draft only two weeks away and the Spurs in the middle of the NBA Finals, general manager R.C. Buford opened the Sports section of the San Antonio Express-News and felt his stomach drop. "When you're talking 'Detroit basketball,'" read the headline stretched across the top of the page, "you're talking John Mason."

Buford relaxed after reading further. The story profiled the Pistons' public-address announcer, who, in addition to popularizing the chant "DEE-TROIT BAS-KET-BALL," also happened to share the same name as the one the Spurs selected for Mahinmi.

"All I saw was 'John Mason'" Buford said, "and thought somebody had found us out."

A handful of teams did learn shortly before the draft of the Spurs' intentions to take Mahinmi at No. 28. But even more were surprised when NBA commissioner David Stern announced the pick. As Stern waited, league officials scrambled to make a placard for Mahinmi. The holdup: Mahinmi wasn't among the 128 players listed in the league's 216-page draft guide.

Neither was John Mason.

More seasoning

Now 19, Mahinmi, still 6-10 and now 210 pounds, isn't quite the international man of mystery he was a year ago. He used the first 21/2 games of his recent summer-league debut to reveal why the Spurs coveted him. His performance in the next 21/2 games showed why he'll be spending at least one more season in France.

Though Mahinmi's stats weren't impressive in the opener at the Rocky Mountain Revue, he ran the floor well, challenged shots and was aggressive with the ball.

"He had a presence," said Spurs assistant coach Mike Budenholzer, who headed the team. "He looked like he knew he belonged out there."

In the next game against Seattle, Mahinmi produced 13 points, eight rebounds and two blocks. After watching him total 14 points and seven rebounds in 13 first-half minutes against Atlanta, one Spurs official asked if David Robinson ever looked so good at 19.

Had he known Mahinmi would collect five fouls in nine minutes in the second half, he would have kept the question to himself. Repeatedly outmuscled for position by Hawks rookie forward Shelden Williams, Mahinmi countered by holding and pushing. Once, he clubbed Williams as they battled for a rebound.

Mahinmi's low point came the next day against Philadelphia. Unable to move 265-pound forward Harold Jamison, he committed eight fouls in 17 minutes.

Mahinmi improved the next two games, though neither performance matched his early efforts. He averaged 8.3 points and a team-high 5.7 rebounds in the six games, but also totaled 38 fouls, seven more than any other player in the six-team league.

"For me, it's just about playing hard and being smart," Mahinmi said. "I don't want to do same mistake two times."

Even after watching Mahinmi's worst games, one scout thought he would have been a lottery pick in this year's draft. Others weren't as complimentary, wondering if Mahinmi will ever be strong enough to compete in the NBA.

Spurs officials were surprised Mahinmi struggled more in his later games than in his earlier ones. But given that he was the second-youngest player in Utah, had never faced any type of NBA competition and had less than six years of experience playing the sport, they were fairly pleased with his performance.

"Whether he plays great or whether he plays poorly," said Spurs assistant general manager Sam Presti, "we have to remember this is a process. It's all about development with him."

The right fit

The son of a Jamaican mother and a father from Benin, a small country in West Africa, Mahinmi grew up in Rouen, about an hour's drive from Paris.

His mother taught preschool and his father worked as a diplomat of sorts, helping African immigrants transition to France. Neither parent, however, was unusually tall; those genes came from his 6-6 African grandfather.

Mahinmi's older brother played soccer well enough to nearly make Jamaica's national team for the 1998 World Cup. Soccer also had been Mahinmi's sport of choice. Basketball, however, chose him.

Mahinmi was attending middle school when the coach of a nearby basketball program saw the 6-foot 14-year-old towering over his classmates. It was about that same time another French teenager (Tony Parker) began preparing for his first NBA season.

Within a couple of years, Mahinmi was playing for the youth team in Le Havre, a port city about 60 miles west of Rouen. Presti first saw him three years ago, while scouting a tournament in Evry. Mahinmi spent much of the night on the bench, but even then he looked intriguing.

Mahinmi made more of an impression at the 2004 Under-18 European Championships in Zaragoza, Spain. Most of the scouts had come to see Johan Petro, who would go on to be a first-round pick of Seattle. Mahinmi, however, played more than expected because of an injury to one of his teammates. He also played well.

Presti liked what he saw and marked Mahinmi as a player the Spurs should continue to follow. Other scouts did the same.

"After that," Mahinmi said, "everybody started talking about me."

U.S. colleges also became interested. Gonzaga saw Mahinmi as a potential replacement for French forward Ronny Turiaf, who was about to enter his final season. Though a friend of Turiaf's, Mahinmi decided instead to join Le Havre's professional team.

Still, Mahinmi didn't plan to enter the 2005 draft. The few teams scouting him projected him as a second-round pick, if that.

Buford, however, had already made his own trip to France to watch Mahinmi. Like Presti, he saw the potential. Mahinmi, though raw, was athletic, aggressive — and young.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich needed only a couple minutes of game film to be convinced. After watching Mahinmi post on the right block, spin around his defender and throw down a two-handed dunk, Popovich stopped the tape.

"That's good enough for me," he said.

The Spurs had been looking for an athletic big man since David Robinson retired. Inquiries about Chicago's Tyson Chandler never went anywhere. Gambling a late first-round draft pick on a 6-10, 18-year-old with some upside, the Spurs decided, was worth the risk.

Spurs officials told Mahinmi's agent, Bouna N'Diaye, they would take Mahinmi if he stayed in the draft. N'Diaye relayed the news to his client. Mahinmi's initial reaction: "Wow!"

"Then he said, 'OK, let me think about it,'" N'Diaye said. "I told him he could have 24 hours, 'til noon on Friday. He called me at exactly noon on Friday."

Although another solid season at Le Havre could have turned Mahinmi into a lottery pick, he and N'Diaye both liked the idea of joining the Spurs. Mahinmi didn't know Parker personally, but he knew he was French, which was good enough. He also knew about the Spurs' successful history with international players.

As a result, N'Diaye didn't make film of Mahinmi easily available to other teams. Commitments to Le Havre prevented Mahinmi from playing in that year's Nike Hoop Summit with Europe's other top young players. Nor did he participate in the Reebok camp, another must-watch event for scouts.

"What mattered to us," N'Diaye said, "was to be with the right team, the right system. The pick didn't matter."

Worthwhile project

The Spurs weren't the only team interested in Mahinmi. One Western Conference scout said he tried before the draft to sell his team on taking Mahinmi in the second round, but couldn't find enough film of him.

Danny Ferry also helped scout Mahinmi as the Spurs' director of basketball operations. After Cleveland hired him as general manager shortly before the draft, Ferry left with the understanding he wouldn't divulge the Spurs' plans to his new team.

So it came as a surprise to Ferry when he saw Mahinmi's name listed on the Cavaliers' draft board among the candidates the team was considering taking with its second-round pick. When the Spurs took Mahinmi, Cleveland officials looked at Ferry. Ferry shrugged.

All of this, of course, could be much to do about nothing. If Mahinmi proved anything in Salt Lake City, it was that he's going to have to get stronger to have any impact in the NBA. Most of his rebounds came from running down the ball after it had been tipped. Rarely, did he go up in a crowd and take one.

"He's skinny, but (Dallas' Dirk) Nowitzki is also skinny and he knows how to create space to get a defensive rebound," said a Western Conference coach, who watched Mahinmi in Utah. "If (Mahinmi) can learn to do that, (the Spurs) might have something."

An Eastern Conference scout said Mahinmi looked how one would expect a 19-year-old to look — inconsistent. The scout liked that Mahinmi had active hands on defense. But he also thought Mahinmi was thinking too much — instead of reacting — when he received the ball in the post.

"He needs more development," the scout said. "But he will get better because he's not afraid."

Mahinmi proved that when Dallas' first-round pick, Maurice Ager, threw down a dunk so vicious it sent the Spurs forward staggering backward into a courtside table. The play brought the Mavericks — and most of the fans — to their feet, but Mahinmi looked unfazed. On the ensuing possession, he quickly called for the ball and drove inside to draw a foul.

Spurs officials were merely happy Mahinmi tried to challenge Ager's dunk. In Europe, where the game is populated by jump shooters, he rarely gets the opportunity.

"If you had walked away and seen him play the way he did in practices and the first 21/2 games, we would have been thrilled to death," Buford said. "Whatever happens, we need to maintain patience and balance and a long-range projection."

Though he's returning to France for another year, Mahinmi will move up a level in competition. After averaging 9.7 points and 5.2 rebounds for Le Havre last season — numbers good enough to earn an All-Star selection — he signed a contract with Pau-Orthez. In addition to being one of the best teams in France, Pau also plays in the Euroleague, affording Mahinmi the opportunity to go against many of Europe's top players, including two of the Spurs' other former draft picks — Luis Scola and Robertas Javtokas.

Mahinmi's new coach, Gordon Herbert, already has a good relationship with the Spurs, having previously assisted their summer-league team. The strength and nutrition program in Pau also is more developed than in Le Havre. Mahinmi, who has been listed as weighing anywhere from 210-230 pounds, said he didn't have much time to lift weights last season because he was too busy working on his game. That won't be the case this season. The Spurs plan to have a strength coach visit to monitor his progress.

Mahinmi wants this to be his last year in Europe. The Spurs also would like to get him into their program as soon as possible.

"But he can't assume he's going to be ready to come over," Budenholzer said. "If he works diligently, both in the weight room and on the court, it's very reasonable to think he can come over and be a part of the team."

"Being a part of the team" is different from "being a contributor." Even if Mahinmi joins the Spurs for the 2007-08 season, team officials consider it a reach to assume he'll have a significant impact in his first year. Indiana All-Star forward Jermaine O'Neal went straight from high school to the NBA — then spent his first four years sitting on the end of the bench in Portland.

The Spurs are optimistic Mahinmi won't have a long learning curve. One of his former Le Havre coaches nicknamed him "The Sponge" because he quickly absorbed everything they taught him. The Spurs saw some of the same traits this month: After Budenholzer cursed at him in practice for failing to protect the rim, Mahinmi picked up his effort.

Mahinmi also has a good sense of humor, which is important when playing for Popovich. When Mahinmi arrived for practice the day after France lost to Italy in the World Cup, one of the coaches walked over and gave him a head-butt.

Said Mahinmi: "All I can say is, what about the U.S.? Was it just like a little trip (to Germany) for them?"

Language also doesn't seem to be too much of a problem. Asked if he spent any time with Parker, Mahinmi nodded. "I meet him at his crib."

Mahinmi doesn't have a crib yet or an NBA contract. Unlike Parker, he can walk the streets of France — and San Antonio — without being recognized.

Ian Mahinmi? John Mason? For now, they're still one and the same.

[email protected]

usckk
07-30-2006, 12:01 AM
Great article.

Holt's Cat
07-30-2006, 12:06 AM
I meet Tony at his cwib too.

Solid D
07-30-2006, 12:33 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/images/0730spurs_mahinmi_ap.jpg
CIA Name: John Mason

THE SIXTH MAN
07-30-2006, 12:41 AM
Ive seen some highlights of him from the rmr and he shows hunger with some great athleticism. Presti is right with developmental thing. Looks like next year or the year after depending on what kind of regiment they have him on he'll be ready.

I don't expect him to have an immediate impact, but I think hell have a decent career. With Butler and Ian we should have the 5 spot locked for a couple of years.

THE SIXTH MAN
07-30-2006, 12:43 AM
:lol :tu CIA at its finest.

THE SIXTH MAN
07-30-2006, 12:46 AM
Compared to the first time when I saw him in the draft hes bulked up a little. So I guess hes on the right track, give the kid some more big macs.

Mr. Body
07-30-2006, 01:28 AM
Remind me to read this in three years when we finally get him, trade him to another team, whatever.

ChumpDumper
07-30-2006, 01:31 AM
Are you kidding? With inflation factored in we'll be paying him the minimum when he signs!

Mavs<Spurs
07-30-2006, 05:37 AM

This is starting to sound and look really good. In a couple of years, this kid could be a serious baller.

People may be underestimating what he will do in two or three years.

exstatic
07-30-2006, 09:29 AM
Remind me to read this in three years when we finally get him, trade him to another team, whatever.
You are really stupid. First rounders have a pay scale, so there is really no negotiation. He either wants to play in the NBA or he doesn't. It won't be about money.

Oscar DeLa
07-30-2006, 10:29 AM
I don't know what it is, but he'll be a bust.

TDMVPDPOY
07-30-2006, 11:16 AM
when we drafted him he was 6'10, so what is his height now?

Mr. Body
07-30-2006, 11:39 AM
You are really stupid. First rounders have a pay scale, so there is really no negotiation. He either wants to play in the NBA or he doesn't. It won't be about money.

No shit. Cf. my posts on why it was more attractive drafting him here rather than the second round, if they had the choice.

Try a reading course. I was being sarcastic, moron.

ca®lo
07-30-2006, 11:42 AM
its still 6'10 according to the article

JUUOT
07-30-2006, 11:47 AM
its still 6'10 according to the article

i found it weird i clearly remember it was stated that he grew an inch. It was ether in a ludden article or a spurs management interview (presti article on spurs farm?) i dont know but it seems weird.

exstatic
07-30-2006, 11:50 AM
No shit. Cf. my posts on why it was more attractive drafting him here rather than the second round, if they had the choice.

How am I supposed to differentiate between this shit, and your normal negative shit? Use some emoticons, moron.

Back to the thread. I am actually relieved to find out that he hasn't been trying to bulk up yet. I was worried that he'd never be able to put on enough weight to hold position in the NBA. I think somewhere between 235 and 245 would be great, if he's actually 210 like they said in a previous article. That would allow him to bang and jostle for position, but still jump out of the gym using his athleticism.

exstatic
07-30-2006, 11:51 AM
i found it weird i clearly remember it was stated that he grew an inch. It was ether in a ludden article or a spurs management interview (presti article on spurs farm?) i dont know but it seems weird.
Well, he might actually BE 6'10" now, without shoes. He was 6'10" in shoes at the Chicago pre-draft camp, 6'9" without.

Mr. Body
07-30-2006, 11:53 AM
How am I supposed to differentiate between this shit, and your normal negative shit? Use some emoticons, moron.

By letting it pass instead of buying into the AHF dipwad knee-jerk Mr._B bashing. Do you really want to follow one of the stupidest longtime posters on this board?

And - yessir. Emoticons are ON.

mathbzh
07-30-2006, 12:18 PM
With all these discussions about how much pounds Ian should take, I wonder how Nowitski and Garnett can play in this league and how Noah can be see as a top 5 pick for the next draft.

"He's skinny, but (Dallas' Dirk) Nowitzki is also skinny and he knows how to create space to get a defensive rebound," said a Western Conference coach, who watched Mahinmi in Utah. "If (Mahinmi) can learn to do that, (the Spurs) might have something."

Mmmm maybe the real problem is that Ian don't know how to get a defensive rebound. That said, I hope Ian will get bigger.

We are always talking about size, athletism, weight... body. But a lot of great player don't have such an amazing body (add Duncan, Nash, whoever you want to the previous short list).

ChumpDumper
07-30-2006, 01:55 PM
Duncan has about 50 pounds on Ian.

It helps.

mathbzh
07-30-2006, 02:42 PM
But Garnett weight the same and is taller. I just say Duncan does not rule with his body.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-30-2006, 02:47 PM

That was a dumbass argument by you then, and it still is.

Way to ruin a good article and good thread with more Mr. Body bullshit. You and boutons make a great couple.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-30-2006, 02:48 PM
BTW, looks like another Sam Presti Special. Nice. :hat

ChumpDumper
07-30-2006, 02:51 PM
But Garnett weight the same and is taller. I just say Duncan does not rule with his body.I say it helps. He wouldn't be the rebounder or offensive player he is if he weighed 210.

timvp
07-30-2006, 04:38 PM
Mahinmi is going to be a nice player. I watched one and half of the two and a half games that Mahinmi supposedly played well and the guy looks impressive. He's so aggressive and has such a good motor that if he gets an NBA body, he's going to be really good.

Some of the dunks he was attempting were wicked. One dunk he attempted to slam it over four people. He has the aggressiveness on his dunks that reminded me of a young Shawn Kemp.

His main flaw is he's fouling and that's mostly due to him trying to do too much. And to me, that's better than being too scared or too dumb like the Spurs' past two centers.

Butler and Mahinmi are hopefully The Future.

LaMarcus Bryant
07-30-2006, 07:19 PM
hahahaha
timvp finally admits that our former slovenly centers were dumb. Classic.

50 cent
07-30-2006, 08:13 PM
Great article. I'm excited about Ian and hope he is the future at the center position. He and Butler will hopefully lock down the center position for the next 10+ years.

SpursIndonesia
07-31-2006, 08:53 AM
While Butler's body tipe, game, and athleticism level suit him more as a Center, i believe Ian has the tools to become a good PF. Indeed the their potential as our future BIGs is very promising.

duncan2k5
07-31-2006, 06:27 PM
do you all think Ian can become a small forward? i mean do u think he is mobile enough to be bruce's heir? jarred jefferies was projected to be a pf when he came in the leage too, but because of his weight they put him as sf. that turned out to be the best position for him. those of you who saw him play, do u think he would have success at the 3 spot?

exstatic
07-31-2006, 06:43 PM
do you all think Ian can become a small forward? i mean do u think he is mobile enough to be bruce's heir? jarred jefferies was projected to be a pf when he came in the leage too, but because of his weight they put him as sf. that turned out to be the best position for him. those of you who saw him play, do u think he would have success at the 3 spot?
No. He hasn't played enough bball to learn a small man's game. If we have to wait for that, it'll be like 2011.

LaMarcus Bryant
07-31-2006, 07:47 PM
He should buy Magic Johnson's Fundamentals of Basketball from nbatv.com and become a good dribbler and ball handler.

exstatic
07-31-2006, 08:41 PM
He should buy Magic Johnson's Fundamentals of Basketball from nbatv.com and become a good dribbler and ball handler.
Yes, because that would be all it would take...:rolleyes

Doc Jerome
07-31-2006, 09:09 PM
If Mahinmi does not play this season, I venture to say, . . . he is a bust.

joeyjfive
07-31-2006, 10:55 PM
I havent had the chance to see him play, but by the article is saying he has plenty of potential and like timvp said earlier isnt afraid or too dumb to be agressive. I'm positive his skill level will increase but something he must improve is his weight, hes gonna have to bulk up if he wants to do anything in the Nba.

ducks
07-31-2006, 11:04 PM
j oneal sat in portland for years then was traded then played well
is oneal a bust?

Doc Jerome
08-01-2006, 06:38 AM
j oneal sat in portland for years then was traded then played well
is oneal a bust?

For the Portland Trailblazers? YES! :fro

L.I.T
08-01-2006, 07:14 AM

I....venture...to...say...it don't matter if mahinmi plays this year, that won't be the indicator of whether he's a bust or not.

Bruno
08-01-2006, 07:37 AM
Some news about Mahinmi and Pau :

- Pau's training camp start on August 8th. Pau will play about 10 preseason games including 3 against TAU (maybe Scola will be rested after the world championship).
- Euroleague draw will be on september 14th, it will be interesting to see against who Mahinmi will play.
- Pau's first real game will be on september 23rd against Le Havre (Mahinmi's former team).

Bruno
08-07-2006, 01:36 PM
The Spurs plan to have a strength coach visit to monitor his progress.

I fact, Spurs have decided to do even more : They have sent Chris Sullivan (one of Spurs' physical trainer) for a long time stay in Pau. He will work with Mahinmi and the whole team with Pau's staff during the training camp.
Article in French (http://www.elan-bearnais.fr/news/news.asp?numarticle=2670)

Solid D
08-07-2006, 01:55 PM
Nice find, Bruno.

One of the Spurs' Strength and Conditioning coaches last year was Christopher White. He's an assistant to Mike Brungardt. I wonder if they mean Chris White, rather than Chris Sullivan?

Bruno
08-07-2006, 02:25 PM
I wonder if they mean Chris White, rather than Chris Sullivan?

They can be wrong, I've read on a french board that local TV news have said that his name is Chris Williams, maybe it's in fact Chris White. :lol

Bruno
08-16-2006, 06:55 AM
Pau-Orthez has sigend his two last players today : John Gilchrist (big defensive PG from Maryland, undrafted in 05) and the famous Britton Johnsen (remember the 05 RMR :) ).

Pau's team for 06-07 :
PG : John Gilchrist / Xane D'Almeida / Frédéric Fauthoux
SG : CC Harrison / Cédric Ferchaud
SF : Ricardo Greer
PF : Thierry Rupert / Mike Bauer
C : Britton Johnsen / Ian Mahinmi

Mr. Body
08-16-2006, 07:18 AM
Surely Johnsen won't play at center?!

Bruno
08-16-2006, 07:31 AM
Surely Johnsen won't play at center?!

He will play center, Mike bauer and Thierry Rupert (Pau's PF) are something like 6'7" or 6'8". My guess is that Johnson will play a lot with Thierry Rupert who is a strong defensive player.

mathbzh
08-16-2006, 07:55 AM
I guess this close work with Pau will also help SA to scout the two U18 european champions Ajinca an Vaty.

ChumpDumper
08-16-2006, 12:33 PM
I can't think of a skinnier center tandem.

Pretty decent lineup though.

Bruno
08-17-2006, 02:40 PM
2 news : one good and one bad.

The good news is that Pau-Orthez has decided that Mahinmi will be their starting center, they have liked a lot what he has done with Spurs' summer league team. Thiery Rupert will be the backup C, they will be really light (Mahinmi is skinny and Rupert is 6'7") against big centers who play in euroleague : they will run a lot like Phoenix did last year with Diaw at C.

The bad news is that Mahinmi is injured : He will be out 15 days. 2 others players (Rupert and Ajinca) are out too : Spurs' physical trainer does a great job (just kidding). Pau will try to get an french/european center (they can't sign an american player anymore) for the training camp (at least).

BTW, a picture of mahinmi welcomed Johnsen and Gilchrist :
http://www.elan-bearnais.fr/equipe/20062007/DSC00714gilchristjohnsen.jpg

mathbzh
08-18-2006, 02:58 AM
Bruno,
Do you think Ajinca can play some minutes in a professional team?
He is so skinny (Compared to him Mahinmi is Shaq). I can't see him keeping his position against grown men.

Bruno
08-18-2006, 04:09 AM
Bruno,
Do you think Ajinca can play some minutes in a professional team?
He is so skinny (Compared to him Mahinmi is Shaq). I can't see him keeping his position against grown men.

I don't see Mahinmi play some minute this year because :
- He is out 3/4 months with a big knee injury (something like a torn MCL).
- He is too skinny, he should be 7'1" 200 lbs. His body isn't ready to play in proA.
- He wasn't a dominant player in the U18 euro, he is a great nba prospect because of his upside and not because of his actual level.
- Pau-Orhez has a ton of good PFs.

The young player I can see geting some minutes is Ludovic Vaty : he will be Pau's strongest player (he is 6'9" 245lbs, all in muscle) and can get some minutes against strong centers.

They have too another young player : Fernando Raposo (a 6'8" SF born in 89), I don't know him at all but Pau is very high on him.

picnroll
08-18-2006, 08:49 AM
Bruno Sanikidze was signed by Estudiatnes in the ACB. Isn't that a step up form Pau?

mathbzh
08-18-2006, 09:34 AM
Bruno, Are you sure Vaty is 245lbs?

In february he was listed at 2m05 (nearly 6'9) and 105 kg (230lbs) One year ago he was listed at 210 lbs.

If he is now 245 at 18yo... he could become really big!!!

Bruno
08-18-2006, 09:59 AM
Bruno, Are you sure Vaty is 245lbs?

In february he was listed at 2m05 (nearly 6'9) and 105 kg (230lbs) One year ago he was listed at 210 lbs.

If he is now 245 at 18yo... he could become really big!!!

They list him at 245lbs (110kg) on Pau's website : http://www.elan-bearnais.fr/equipe/20062007/jvaty.htm

Vaty isn't them ost talented BB player but he is a beast.

Bruno
08-18-2006, 10:07 AM
Bruno Sanikidze was signed by Estudiatnes in the ACB. Isn't that a step up form Pau?

Estudiantes finised 8th (on 18 teams) in the Spanish league, Pau has won the French league regular season but Spanish league is way better than French league. All in all, Estudiantes and Pau are about on the same level (Estudiantes is maybe slighty better).

Mahinmi will play in a quite weak domestic league but he will play too euroleague who is the best competition in Europe.
Sanikidze will play in the best domestic league in europe but he will play a weak european competition called fiba cup (it's the third european competition behind Euroleague and uleb).
They are in two good teams, if they can get some PT, it will be great for them.