View Full Version : Mel Gibson's DUI Coverup

Nbadan
07-30-2006, 01:57 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/ips_rich_content/85-mel.JPG
Crazy Mel

Gibson's Anti-Semitic Tirade -- Alleged Cover Up
Posted Jul 28th 2006 9:15PM by TMZ Staff
Filed under: Celebrity Justice

EXCLUSIVE: MEL GIBSON - TMZ has learned that Mel Gibson went on a rampage when he was arrested Friday on suspicion of drunk driving, hurling religious epithets. TMZ has also learned that the Los Angeles County Sheriff's department had the initial report doctored to keep the real story under wraps.

TMZ has four pages of the original report prepared by the arresting officer in the case, L.A. County Sheriff's Deputy James Mee. According to the report, Gibson became agitated after he was stopped on Pacific Coast Highway and told he was to be detained for drunk driving Friday morning in Malibu. The actor began swearing uncontrollably. Gibson repeatedly said, "My life is f****d." Law enforcement sources say the deputy, worried that Gibson might become violent, told the actor that he was supposed to cuff him but would not, as long as Gibson cooperated. As the two stood next to the hood of the patrol car, the deputy asked Gibson to get inside. Deputy Mee then walked over to the passenger door and opened it. The report says Gibson then said, "I'm not going to get in your car," and bolted to his car. The deputy quickly subdued Gibson, cuffed him and put him inside the patrol car.

TMZ has learned that Deputy Mee audiotaped the entire exchange between himself and Gibson, from the time of the traffic stop to the time Gibson was put in the patrol car, and that the tape fully corroborates the written report.

Once inside the car, a source directly connected with the case says Gibson began banging himself against the seat. The report says Gibson told the deputy, "You mother f****r. I'm going to f*** you." The report also says "Gibson almost continually [sic] threatened me saying he 'owns Malibu' and will spend all of his money to 'get even' with me."

The report says Gibson then launched into a barrage of anti-Semitic statements: "F*****g Jews... The Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world." Gibson then asked the deputy, "Are you a Jew?"

The deputy became alarmed as Gibson's tirade escalated, and called ahead for a sergeant to meet them when they arrived at the station. When they arrived, a sergeant began videotaping Gibson, who noticed the camera and then said, "What the f*** do you think you're doing?"

A law enforcement source says Gibson then noticed another female sergeant and yelled, "What do you think you're looking at, sugar tits?"

We're told Gibson took two blood alcohol tests, which were videotaped, and continued saying how "f****d" he was and how he was going to "f***" Deputy Mee.

Gibson was put in a cell with handcuffs on. He said he needed to urinate, and after a few minutes tried manipulating his hands to unzip his pants. Sources say Deputy Mee thought Gibson was going to urinate on the floor of the booking cell and asked someone to take Gibson to the bathroom.

After leaving the bathroom, Gibson then demanded to make a phone call. He was taken to a pay phone and, when he didn't get a dial tone, we're told Gibson threw the receiver against the phone. Deputy Mee then warned Gibson that if he damaged the phone he could be charged with felony vandalism. We're told Gibson was then asked, and refused, to sign the necessary paperwork and was thrown in a detox cell.

Deputy Mee then wrote an eight-page report detailing Gibson's rampage and comments. Sources say the sergeant on duty felt it was too "inflammatory." A lieutenant and captain then got involved and calls were made to Sheriff's headquarters. Sources say Mee was told Gibson's comments would incite a lot of "Jewish hatred," that the situation in Israel was "way too inflammatory." It was mentioned several times that Gibson, who wrote, directed, and produced 2004's "The Passion of the Christ," had incited "anti-Jewish sentiment" and "For a drunk driving arrest, is this really worth all that?"

We're told Deputy Mee was then ordered to write another report, leaving out the incendiary comments and conduct. Sources say Deputy Mee was told the sanitized report would eventually end up in the media and that he could write a supplemental report that contained the redacted information -- a report that would be locked in the watch commander's safe.

Initially, a Sheriff's official told TMZ the arrest occurred "without incident." On Friday night, Sheriff's spokesman Steve Whitmore told TMZ: "The L.A. County Sheriff's Department investigation into the arrest of Mr. Gibson on suspicion of driving under the influence will be complete and will contain every factual piece of evidence. Nothing will be sanitized. There was absolutely no favoritism shown to this suspect or any other. When this file is presented to the Los Angeles County District Attorney, it will contain everything. Nothing will be left out."

On Saturday, Gibson released the following statement:

"After drinking alcohol on Thursday night, I did a number of things that were very wrong and for which I am ashamed. I drove a car when I should not have, and was stopped by the LA County Sheriffs. The arresting officer was just doing his job and I feel fortunate that I was apprehended before I caused injury to any other person. I acted like a person completely out of control when I was arrested, and said things that I do not believe to be true and which are despicable. I am deeply ashamed of everything I said. Also, I take this opportunity to apologize to the deputies involved for my belligerent behavior. They have always been there for me in my community and indeed probably saved me from myself. I disgraced myself and my family with my behavior and for that I am truly sorry. I have battled with the disease of alcoholism for all of my adult life and profoundly regret my horrific relapse. I apologize for any behavior unbecoming of me in my inebriated state and have already taken necessary steps to ensure my return to health."

TMZ (http://www.tmz.com/)

Apparently, Mel was arrested in 1983 on a DUI and pled guilty.

boutons_
07-30-2006, 04:51 AM
I always was thought Sergeant Martin Riggs was too convincing to be just a an act. I was right.

smeagol
07-30-2006, 06:02 AM
Funny how Dan always find this kind of shit from religious people, or people from the right . . .

boutons_
07-30-2006, 07:04 AM
"religious people"

So you claim this drunken, right-wing, religious nutcase as representative of your own ilk?

jochhejaam
07-30-2006, 07:10 AM
"religious people"

So you claim this drunken, right-wing, religious nutcase as representative of your own ilk?
That's the first time I've heard of Gibson going off the deep end, so that along with his apology and remorse could be construed as an abberation.
You, on the other hand, do it on a daily basis and that without remorse.
What ilk do you represent?

Obstructed_View
07-30-2006, 10:28 AM
Mel Gibson is right-wing? Sounds to me like the accusations that he made his movie to demonize the Jews may not have been so far off base.

TDMVPDPOY
07-30-2006, 11:08 AM
htf do you write up a 8page report? must be alot of BS gone into the work

mel probaly doesnt give a fuck anyway, since he made millions out of that movie passion of christ...

pussyface
07-30-2006, 12:50 PM
hahaha. passion of the christ guy calls female officer "sugartits." Totally outrageously anti jewish comments too. what a nut/hypocrite.
'
you know what they say, a drunk man's words are a sober man's thoughts.
totally classic, all time quotable lines in this one.

jochhejaam
07-30-2006, 01:21 PM
I wouldn't think a .12 blood alcohol level in and of itself would lead to an outburst of that magnitude. Wonder if he mixed it with some drugs.

IceColdBrewski
07-30-2006, 02:17 PM
I thought all Aussies were fun drunks. :wtf

You have admit though, the "sugartits" crack is pretty damn funny.

Nbadan
07-31-2006, 04:26 AM
Funny how Dan always find this kind of shit from religious people, or people from the right . . .

What honor has Mel Gibson earned to make him a religious icon? Directed a movie about Christ? Say what you want about Bono, but at least he's spending millions on the aids crisis in Africa, and rich men are adopting African babies just for a chance to get into Angelina Jolie's pants. Hummm...I wonder which of these stars St Peter will welcome at the pearly gates?

xrayzebra
07-31-2006, 09:04 AM
Is it just me or does the picture look a whole lot like Saddam? The one posted above.

And I wonder what all the hullablu is all about. He is just like most of the other
hollywood crowd. It shall pass in time and life will move on.

Ocotillo
07-31-2006, 10:08 AM
There is a kernal within Ray's post that I agree with.

I am a Christian and have chose that path for my faith and belief system. One of the things about Christians that we must remember is that we are not perfect, just forgiven. When we put too much faith in mortal men, we set ourselves up for disappointment.

I don't know that Gibson sought the limelight of being considered a "Christian leader" but many with a political agenda siezed upon his movie "The Passion of the Christ" to do just that. Churches sponsored viewings and set up trips where groups of members would attend en masse. It was a topic within circles of political discussion

If you recall, their was much crticism from the left regarding the movie. The attacks seem to focus on the use of the movie by right wing Christian groups and whether the movie was anti-Semitic. Being from the left side of the political spectrum, I held my tongue in this tiny corner of the world where I will occassionally offer my political views. I did cringe when I saw the news reports where Gibson was licensing merchandise to be sold.

I like to keep my religion and politics separate. I believe that is the way my country should be ran as well. I think this episode with Gibson validates that view. Many on the right embraced him as an icon, an anti-Hollywood figure within Hollywood.

This outburst of bigotry diminishes the evangelism of the Gospel. This is not unlike Jimmy Swaggert or Jim Bakker being revealed as charlatans. The actions of men, allow those who would insult Christianity to have tools with which to do it.

I am hurt and disappointed that Mel Gibson has revealed himself to be a bigot. The sad fact is he made a movie true to the scripture but he is not living his life as Jesus taught us too.

George Gervin's Afro
07-31-2006, 10:29 AM
Whannity was predicting the 'lib' media would treat Mel differently because he was a conservative in Hollywood. I wonder if Whannity will denounce Mel's words..Whannity loves to have a lib denounce what some left wing whacko says but never requires a republican to denounce what someone on the fringe right says..

Whannity is such a f*cking hypocrite.

smeagol
07-31-2006, 11:18 AM
"religious people"

Since when is Mel Gibson a right-wing, religious nutcase?

You are an idiot, boutons, a true idiot.

boutons_
07-31-2006, 11:24 AM
Another totally accurate take from smeagol.

Yonivore
07-31-2006, 11:48 AM
Why is this being characterized as a "cover up?" Since when is drink-induced anti-semitism a contributing factor to DUI?

It didn't need 8 pages to say Gibson was belligerent and uncooperative. What came spewing out of his mouth isn't relevant to the crime for which he was arrested. His putting the Gibson's comments in the report was inflammatory and served no purpose other than to embarrass Gibson.

Oh well, Gibson gets what he deserves. What an idiot. And, whoever it was that said it should cause us to reconsider the anti-semitic messages in "The Passion of The Christ," was right.

But folks, Jesus was a Jew who was crucified by the Romans on behalf of some other Jews. Making a movie that accurately depicts that isn't anti-semitic, even if the filmmaker is. Them's the facts.

Kori Ellis
07-31-2006, 11:49 AM
Why is this being characterized as a "cover up?"

Because a police report is supposed to include all the facts and details of the incident. They aren't supposed to re-write reports just to avoid publicity, dumbass.

Yonivore
07-31-2006, 11:54 AM
Because a police report is supposed to include all the facts and details of the incident. They aren't supposed to re-write reports just to avoid publicity, dumbass.
Only those facts that are necessary for a conviction are relevant in a police report.

Did they record the brand of shirt or shoes he was wearing?

Oh, and they aren't supposed to write reports that are intentionally inflammatory, Princess.

Kori Ellis
07-31-2006, 11:56 AM
Only those facts that are necessary for a conviction are relevant in a police report.

Did they record the brand of shirt or shoes he was wearing?

The specifics of a verbal tirade are relevant. Not his clothing.

Believe me, if I got arrested for drunk driving and said, "Fucking jews" it would be the police report. Racial hate isn't a joke. In almost all instances things like that are definitely written in the report.

The report wasn't intentionally inflammatory. It stated all the facts.

And it wasn't just a simple case of DUI.

He resisted arrested, threatened the officers, and spewed racial hate.

Yonivore
07-31-2006, 12:02 PM
The specifics of a verbal tirade are relevant. Not his clothing.

Believe me, if I got arrested for drunk driving and said, "Fucking jews" it would be the police report. Racial hate isn't a joke. In almost all instances things like that are definitely written in the report.
I'm the last person in this forum that would attempt to justify a anti-semite. But, unless the content of the speech justifies a crime -- such as a terroristic threat (term of art used to describe any many threats -- not just those of a terrorism nature) then it isn't relevant and serves no purpose but to embarrass or ridicule, and leave open for public censure, the arrestee.

He was being arrested for DUI. How he feels about Jews is irrelevant. And, as I noted, that he was belligerent and uncooperative would have been enough.

Racial hate isn't a joke. Freedom of speech, on the other hand, is a right. We have the right to hate people -- even on the basis of their race. That right ends at the point where our hatred interferes with someone else's rights. And, guess what, not being offended isn't a right.

Look, I said he was a dumbass and deserved to be outed as an anti-semite. But, the police officer as an unbiased enforcer of the law shouldn't inclue anything that isn't relevant to the crime. Period.

Kori Ellis
07-31-2006, 12:05 PM
Like I said, it isn't just DUI.

He threatened the officers.

Everything he said is relevant.

Ocotillo
07-31-2006, 12:06 PM
He did ask the cop if he was a Jew. He was exhibiting violent behavior (banging himself against the back seat of the police cruiser), trying to evade arrest and generally ranting about his prowess within the community. His diatribe regarding Jews followed his ranting at the officer and asking if he were a Jew. I'd say it should be included in the report.

Yonivore
07-31-2006, 12:11 PM
Like I said, it isn't just DUI.

He threatened the officers.

Everything he said is relevant.
Fine, you win sweet cheeks. It's not that big of a deal to me. I'm not going to defend Israel in every other thread in this forum and then stand on principle so an anti-semite's right to expression can be recognized in one thread.

Gibson's an idiot Jew-hater, (at least when he's drunk).

But, I doubt everything he said was recorded.

Yonivore
07-31-2006, 12:19 PM
So, Kori, do you believe "hate speech" should be against the law?

George Gervin's Afro
07-31-2006, 12:21 PM
So, Kori, do you believe "hate speech" should be against the law?

No it's not stop playing stupid. If a black cop pulled him over and Mel had shouted you f*cking n...." should that be in the police report? Or should the officer write that he was insulted?

Yonivore
07-31-2006, 12:25 PM
No it's not stop playing stupid. If a black cop pulled him over and Mel had shouted you f*cking n...." should that be in the police report? Or should the officer write that he was insulted?
That the arrestee was belligerent and verbally abusive would suffice. Only if his speech constitutes a threat is it relevant.

Winnipeg_Spur
07-31-2006, 01:32 PM
What Would Jesus DUI?

Obstructed_View
07-31-2006, 03:01 PM
Why is this being characterized as a "cover up?" Since when is drink-induced anti-semitism a contributing factor to DUI?

You don't think the bold text in the original document is a textbook example of a cover-up? Hmm.

Guru of Nothing
07-31-2006, 03:22 PM
Is this a Hate Crime?

Yonivore
07-31-2006, 07:44 PM
You don't think the bold text in the original document is a textbook example of a cover-up? Hmm.
What do the changes to the report have to do with the crime of DUI?

boutons_
08-01-2006, 01:54 AM
August 1, 2006

Mel Gibson: The Speed of Scandal

By ALLISON HOPE WEINER

LOS ANGELES, July 31 — Almost as stunning as Mel Gibson’s anti-Jewish tirade when arrested on suspicion of drunk driving in the early hours of last Friday was the speed at which the scandal unfolded, doing serious damage to one of Hollywood’s most valuable careers along the way.

In a little over 24 hours, Mr. Gibson’s arrest and subsequent behavior in Malibu had already prompted talk of a claimed cover-up, an exposé, worldwide news coverage, an apology and then a full-blown push for alcohol rehabilitation, even as his representatives and executives at the Walt Disney Company rushed to catch up with the event’s effect on the filmmaker’s movie and television projects with the company.

On Monday, Hope Hartman, a spokeswoman for Disney’s ABC television network, said the company was dropping its plans to produce a Holocaust-themed miniseries in collaboration with Mr. Gibson.

“Given that it’s been nearly two years and we have yet to see the first draft of a script, we have decided to no longer pursue this project with Icon,” Ms. Hartman said, referring to Mr. Gibson’s production company.

She did not connect the project’s termination to Mr. Gibson’s remarks. But his statements had already attracted sharp criticism from some who argued that he should be disqualified from moving ahead with the series, despite having apologized for several anti-Jewish statements.

“I don’t think he should be doing a film on the Holocaust,” said Rabbi Marvin Hier, founder of the Simon Wiesenthal Center, who had previously criticized what he saw as anti-Semitic overtones in Mr. Gibson’s hit, “The Passion of the Christ.” “It would be like asking someone associated with the K.K.K. to do a movie on the African-American experience.”

Heidi Trotta, a spokeswoman for Disney’s studio unit, said the company still expected to release Mr. Gibson’s feature film “Apocalypto” on schedule in early December. Mr. Gibson’s publicist, Alan Nierob, said he believed the movie would be released on time and by Disney, though he acknowledged that postproduction work would be interrupted by Mr. Gibson’s planned program of rehabilitation for substance abuse.

Meanwhile, those who make a business of managing crisis were already gleaning lessons from the breakneck pace at which the incident had gone from unfortunate encounter to career threat.

“The pervasiveness of the Internet has caused a dramatic increase in the dissemination of news,” said Michael S. Sitrick, chairman of Sitrick & Company, who specializes in crisis communications. The message was that there is no such thing as a minor incident among those for whom celebrity is an asset. “I would have reacted very quickly — even if had just been reported in The Malibu Times,” he said.

( this chairman is deeply brilliant, in his own crisis sort of way. )

In Mr. Gibson’s case, it was not The Malibu Times, but a Time Warner-owned celebrity news Web site, TMZ.com, that set off the media storm. On Friday evening, TMZ posted four pages of a sheriff’s report describing what the arresting officer said was Mr. Gibson’s belligerent behavior and a series of noxious remarks, including several deeply offensive comments about Jews.

In an accompanying article, the site said the officer had been told by superiors to withhold the pages containing the anti-Semitic and other inflammatory remarks from the report that would eventually be made public, reserving them for a separate portion that might escape widespread notice.

A spokesman for the Los Angeles County sheriff’s department disputed the notion of a cover-up. “The district attorney has the entire case now,” said Steve Whitmore, the spokesman. “We gave them everything we have.”

By late Saturday, however, Mr. Gibson had issued a statement apologizing for his remarks. And the next morning, The Los Angeles Times — in a report that carried no fewer than 11 bylines — reported that a civilian oversight office had already decided to investigate whether Mr. Gibson had been given favorable treatment because of his celebrity status or long-time friendship with the county sheriff, Lee Baca.

“Mel Gibson is an important person in Hollywood, a key player in one of Southern California’s most important industries,” the Los Angeles Times’s editor, Dean Baquet, said in a statement explaining the paper’s mass deployment over the weekend. “Gibson also happens to be someone whose religious views have been the subject of debate since he produced a movie on the subject that is one of the highest-grossing movies of all time. But mainly, it’s a good story.”

A winner in all this was clearly TMZ, a celebrity news site that began operations just last November. “This was huge for us,” said Harvey Levin,

( said the Jew! :lol )

the site’s managing editor and something of an expert in celebrity scandal, having created the now-defunct television show “ Celebrity Justice.”

For Mr. Gibson, things began their disastrous turn Thursday night, when he spent time drinking and posing for pictures at Moonshadows, an oceanside restaurant and watering hole in Malibu, where he has been a familiar fixture in recent weeks.

When an obviously inebriated Mr. Gibson announced his intention to leave, employees offered to call him a cab or drive him home, according to a person who was involved with events that evening but spoke on condition of anonymity because of the continuing investigation.

Mr. Gibson declined the assistance and instead jumped into his Lexus, and was quickly pulled over for speeding on the Pacific Coast Highway and then arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence.

According to the report by the arresting officer, James Mee, Mr. Gibson demanded to know whether the deputy was a Jew, and said he would “get even with me.” In an obscenity-laced tirade, which included “a barrage of anti-Semitic remarks,” Mr. Gibson boasted that he “owns Malibu.” At one point, according to the report, the filmmaker tried to break free and had to be handcuffed.

The deputy asked that he be met at the station with a video camera, according to the report. Mr. Whitmore, the sheriff’s spokesman, said over the weekend that full details of the incident would ultimately be disclosed.

Mr. Nierob strongly challenged the notion of a cover-up. “This report was leaked within minutes of its happening, and it’s anything but a cover-up, and certainly anything but preferential treatment,” Mr. Nierob said Monday of his client. “He’s been held to a much higher situation. You show me the cover-up.”

Mr. Gibson spent much of the last year shooting “Apocalypto,” an idiosyncratic film shot in Mexico that used local actors to tell an epic story of warfare among the ancient Mayans. The film was originally set for release in August, but was delayed when heavy rains complicated the shoot.

Disney is distributing the movie in the United States, but did not directly finance it. Rather, Mr. Gibson’s company, Icon Productions, engineered the financial backing, much as it did for “The Passion of the Christ.”

Copyright 2006 (http://www.nytimes.com/ref/membercenter/help/copyright.html) The New York Times Company (http://www.nytco.com/)

Obstructed_View
08-01-2006, 04:15 AM
What do the changes to the report have to do with the crime of DUI?
What does the crime of DUI have to do with a cover up? Someone was told to re-write the report without the inflamatory comments while the original would be locked up. That's a cover up, dude.

Yonivore
08-01-2006, 09:14 AM
What does the crime of DUI have to do with a cover up? Someone was told to re-write the report without the inflamatory comments while the original would be locked up. That's a cover up, dude.
Then it happens all the time. I've seen Sergeants grade Troopers' reports like a high school English teacher. Redacting extraneous and inflammatory content.

If it has nothing to do with the crime it doesn't belong in the report. You don't want the defense to be able to claim the arrest was based on anything other than the evidence; like an emotional response or bias.

JoeChalupa
08-01-2006, 09:53 AM
I'm sure Mel has said 10 Our Fathers and Hail Mary's and done his penance.

I pray for him during his relapse. God Bless.

Obstructed_View
08-01-2006, 11:04 AM
Then it happens all the time. I've seen Sergeants grade Troopers' reports like a high school English teacher. Redacting extraneous and inflammatory content.

If it has nothing to do with the crime it doesn't belong in the report. You don't want the defense to be able to claim the arrest was based on anything other than the evidence; like an emotional response or bias.
Good point. I don't know standard police procedure. However I'd wager that if it was Leon Montoya from Inglewood that they'd gotten saying that shit it would have ended up in the report.

ChumpDumper
08-01-2006, 02:18 PM
:lmao at the law and order types defending the cover up.

Sportcamper
08-01-2006, 04:14 PM
Any truth to the rumor that Mel had an open bottle of Manischewitz in his car?

Sportcamper
08-01-2006, 04:16 PM
If convicted he could face up to 30 days in the "Thunderdome”... :smokin

jochhejaam
08-02-2006, 09:00 AM
Mel Gibson Admits to Making Anti-Semitic Remarks, Asks for Help
Tuesday, August 01, 2006

LOS ANGELES — Mel Gibson has admitted to making anti-Semitic remarks during his drunken driving arrest and has asked members of the Jewish community to help him recover from his alcohol addiction.

"I want to apologize specifically to everyone in the Jewish community for the vitriolic and harmful words that I said to a law enforcement officer the night I was arrested on a DUI charge," the actor-director says in a statement issued Tuesday through his publicist.

Gibson, 50, also says: "Please know from my heart that I am not an anti-Semite. I am not a bigot. Hatred of any kind goes against my faith."

Gibson says he is "in the process of understanding where those vicious words came from during that drunken display" and hopes members of the Jewish community, "whom I have personally offended," will help him in his recovery efforts.

"I'm not just asking for forgiveness," Gibson says. "I would like to take it one step further, and meet with leaders in the Jewish community, with whom I can have a one-on-one discussion to discern the appropriate path for healing."

He adds, "There is no excuse, nor should there be any tolerance, for anyone who thinks or expresses any kind of anti-Semitic remark."

Gibson acknowledges, "there will be many in that community who will want nothing to do with me, and that would be understandable. But I pray that that door is not forever closed."

He says he must take responsibility for making anti-Semitic remarks because as a public person, "when I say something, either articulated and thought out, or blurted out in a moment of insanity, my words carry weight in the public arena."

The Anti-Defamation League said Tuesday that it has accepted Gibson's second apology, saying it "sounds sincere."

ADL National Director Abraham Foxman said this is the apology the group had hoped for the first time. He added that once Gibson finishes "his rehabilitation for alcohol abuse," the ADL will "help him with his second rehabilitation to combat this disease of prejudice."

Rabbi Mark S. Diamond of the 280-member Board of Rabbis of Southern California was only partially swayed by Gibson's latest statement.

"I welcome his words. And I hope and pray that they are sincere and heartfelt," but Gibson needs to show "tangible actions" of repentance, he said.

"I don't want to minimize for a moment the hurt and anger, the anguish, his words have created in our community," he added.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,206560,00.html

RandomGuy
08-02-2006, 09:23 AM
I heard a really good quote somewhere about this:

"A drunk man's words are a sober man's thoughts."

Gibson's anti-semetic feelings were rather obvious in the furor after the "Passion" movie, and that alone was enough to convince me he is an ass. This rather ugly incident cements that belief.

I would not spend another cent on one of his movies, despite my nerdy fondness for the Mad Max movies.

Obstructed_View
08-02-2006, 12:48 PM

Gibson's anti-semetic feelings were rather obvious in the furor after the "Passion" movie, and that alone was enough to convince me he is an ass. This rather ugly incident cements that belief.

I would not spend another cent on one of his movies, despite my nerdy fondness for the Mad Max movies.
Mel Gibson's father thinks the holocaust is a hoax and that September 11 was engineered by the Jews to make the muslims look bad. The apple don't fall far from the dumbass.

jochhejaam
08-02-2006, 01:43 PM

Sounds like there's an inner struggle with Mel regarding his feelings about Jews. He was raised by an anti-semitic father which had to impact him, yet he knows his faith says it's wrong.
He stated, drunk or not, how part of him feels yet apologized and asked the very people he offended to help him. Not much more you can do than that.
If he adheres to the constructive path he claims he wants to, then he'll be a much better man for it.
He can't take back the embarrasment and shame this brought him. I wish him and anyone else that sincerely wants to overcome bigotry nothing but the best.

RandomGuy
08-02-2006, 02:15 PM
Sounds like there's an inner struggle with Mel regarding his feelings about Jews. He was raised by an anti-semitic father which had to impact him, yet he knows his faith says it's wrong.
He stated, drunk or not, how part of him feels yet apologized and asked the very people he offended to help him. Not much more you can do than that.
If he adheres to the constructive path he claims he wants to, then he'll be a much better man for it.
He can't take back the embarrasment and shame this brought him. I wish him and anyone else that sincerely wants to overcome bigotry nothing but the best.

(shrugs)

If I had some evidence of true penitence and not empty words, I would be the first to forgive him for his ugliness.

Nbadan
08-03-2006, 04:15 AM
They say a drunken man's mouth is a sober man's heart.

BIG IRISH
08-03-2006, 04:42 AM
What honor has Mel Gibson earned to make him a religious icon? Directed a movie about Christ? Say what you want about Bono, but at least he's spending millions on the aids crisis in Africa, and rich men are adopting African babies just for a chance to get into Angelina Jolie's pants. Hummm...I wonder which of these stars St Peter will welcome at the pearly gates?

:tu

They say a drunken man's mouth is a sober man's heart.
:tu
and I know Dan is not IRISH, but being part Irish I know about drunks
and I heard this saying as an "Irish Saying"

Nbadan
08-03-2006, 05:33 AM
Well, it's official...

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2006/LAW/08/02/gibson.charged/vert.gibson.lasd.jpg
He's plastered! (or just mucken weird)

Mel Gibson charged with DUI
Wednesday, August 2, 2006

MALIBU, California (CNN) -- Actor-director Mel Gibson was charged Wednesday with driving last week under the influence of alcohol, a misdemeanor, the Los Angeles County District Attorney's office said.

Gibson, 50, was charged with one count each of driving under the influence and driving while having a 0.08 percent or higher blood alcohol content, said Deputy District Attorney Ralph Shapiro, the deputy in charge of the Malibu office.

In addition, Gibson was charged with driving with an open container of alcohol, a vehicle code infraction.

Gibson was stopped about 2:09 a.m. Friday on Pacific Coast Highway after a Los Angeles County Sheriff's deputy allegedly observed him driving his 2006 Lexus at more than 85 mph....

His arraignment was set for September 28 in Malibu Superior Court. If convicted, Gibson faces up to six months in jail....

CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/08/02/gibson.charged/index.html)

Nbadan
08-03-2006, 05:38 AM
Here are some photos that are floating around the net of Mel parting hard with some hotties before he got busted...

http://a.abcnews.com/images/Entertainment/ht_mel2_060801_ssh.jpg

http://a.abcnews.com/images/Entertainment/ht_mel1_060801_ssh.jpg

http://a.abcnews.com/images/Entertainment/ht_mel4_060801_ssh.jpg

http://a.abcnews.com/images/Entertainment/ht_mel3_060801_ssh.jpg

RandomGuy
08-03-2006, 09:53 AM
Argh. He drives a Lexus. That figures.

While not all Lexus owners I have met have been complete asses, a sizeable number of them have been. Something about the brand attracts arrogance.

boutons_
08-03-2006, 01:58 PM
http://www.uclick.com/feature/06/08/01/gm060801.gif

http://www.uclick.com/feature/06/08/03/jd060803.gif

Nbadan
08-07-2006, 04:09 AM
Bill Maher - The World IS Mel Gibson

I suspect I'll have plenty more to say about Mel Gibson when Real Time returns to HBO on August 25 (PLUG!!!), but in the meantime a couple of thoughts:

As I watch so much of the world ask Israel for restraint in a way no other country would (Can you imagine what Bush would do if a terrorist organization took over Canada and was lobbing missiles into Montana, Maine and Illinois?) - and, by the way, does anyone ever ask Hezbollah for
restraint. you know, like, please stop firing your rockets aimed PURPOSEFULLY at civilians? - it strikes me that the world IS Mel Gibson. Most of the time, the anti-semitism is under control, but that demon lives inside and when the moon is full, or there's been enough alcohol consumed,
or Israel is forced to kill people in its own defense, then it comes out.

I've heard Mr. Gibson say he's sorry, and that he's wrong, and others say, well, he was drunk, he's got a disease, etc. But my question is, what is the root of this, Mel? I mean, we all say crazy things when we're drunk, and we've all undoubtedly had ugly moments when we're superstressed out and then drunk on top of it, I know I have - but what comes out at that moment isn't a tirade against the Jews. Yes, liquor releases demons, but I want to know why the demon in Mel Gibson is hatred of the Jews to begin with (I know, the father). Why, when Mels's id is released, its about the Jews fucking everything up, just like it was with Hitler. Except Mel Gibson, when his id is in check, I believe, really knows how wrong that is, and how stupid. He, I believe, at least fights with himself about this.

But he'll never win as long as he's so religious, because, I hate to tell you, the disease isn't alcholism, the disease is religion.

Huffington Post (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bill-maher/the-world-is-mel-gibson_b_26315.html)

sabar
08-07-2006, 05:22 AM
Of course it's a cover-up. While extranous information is often left out of reports, the implied threats towards the officer were noteworthy. The people there knew all too well that if they gave the media something softer that Mel would pay some handsome money under the table.

Funny how it only took 3 posts for right-wing/left-wing to come up.

Spurminator
08-07-2006, 08:58 AM
The final nail in the coffin of Mel Gibson's career...

http://cache.defamer.com/assets/resources/2006/08/schneider-gibsonletter-s.jpg

Schneider Slams Gibson
By WENN| Thursday, August 03, 2006

HOLLYWOOD - Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo star Rob Schneider is the first actor to publicly announce he will never work with Mel Gibson due to the anti-Semitic remarks he made when he was arrested last Friday.

Schneider took out an ad in Hollywood trade paper Variety slamming the star for his behavior in "An Open Letter to the Hollywood Community."

The ad appeared today and said, "I, Rob Schneider, a 1/2 Jew, pledge from this day forth to never work with Mel Gibson, actor-director-producer and anti-Semite."

Schneider then went on to say even if he were offered the lead role in Passion of the Christ 2 or a "juicy voice-over role in his new flick Apocalypto and spoke ancient Mayan" he would still turn them down.

He also repeatedly praised Hollywood talent manager Bernie Brillstein for publicly saying he would refuse to work with Gibson because "I just don't like bigots."

The actor continued by saying he had recently directed a film called Big Stan in which there was a part for a Nazi gangleader "which apparently Mel would be perfect for."

Schneider said he would still not cast Gibson in that role and ended the letter by saying, "Of course that would only be after I talked with my financial backers. Some of whom share Mr. Gibson's hankering for a good bottle of tequila. Because, after all...I don't get to call all the shots."

Article Copyright Entertainment News Network All Rights Reserved.

CharlieMac
08-07-2006, 09:04 AM
Mel is running for office?