PDA

View Full Version : Steak 'N' Shake

AlamoSpursFan
07-30-2006, 11:37 AM
Coming soon to Austin.

Just saw the sign today at that damn shopping center they built at Southpark Meadows.

Just thought I'd share.

T Park
07-30-2006, 12:58 PM
FARTHER SOUTH BABY!!!!!

Steak and Shake shakes, rule all.

No questions asked, no "eh, I don't think so"s.

Steak and Shake shakes are the king of all shakes.

Bar freakin none.

CharlieMac
07-30-2006, 01:37 PM
Yeah, that place is great. It's not even open for discussion.

Extra Stout
07-30-2006, 01:38 PM
That's Yankee food.

T Park
07-30-2006, 02:40 PM
The hell it is.

Indiana St Louis, the midwest.

Thats where Steak and Shake was born.

The midwest.

The midwest along with Texas and parts of the south.

The REAL America.

Das Texan
07-30-2006, 02:48 PM
Getting fucking closer.

cool!

KEDA
07-30-2006, 02:56 PM
yeah

I got to admit Steak and Shake is pretty fucking great!

I went to one in Nashville and it was great!

Summers
07-30-2006, 04:12 PM
I have no idea what Steak and Shake is, but Katz's makes pretty good shakes.

T Park
07-30-2006, 04:21 PM
Katz's shakes would be like chunky milk mixed with moldy chocolate compared to Steak and Shake.

Steak and Shake is the king of shakes.

Melmart1
07-30-2006, 04:32 PM
The shakes at Olmos pharmacy were kick ass years ago. Don't know if that place is still open, but its an awesome blast from the pass, sitting at a counter in a pharmacy and getting a great milkshake.

mookie2001
07-30-2006, 04:34 PM
where do you live at alamospursfan?

AlamoSpursFan
07-30-2006, 04:39 PM
SA, but I'm a truck driver so I drive all over...

(The other day I drove all over a queen size mattress that blew off of the pickup in front of me...the innersprings made some really cool sparks when it caught in my driveshaft. :lol )

exstatic
07-30-2006, 05:10 PM
Thay have great shakes, but their steakburgers are NASTY. Waaaaay to greasy.

SpursWoman
07-30-2006, 05:19 PM
I've never been to one....but I'd probably be just at content with one from Whataburger. :lol

FromWayDowntown
07-30-2006, 05:40 PM
A friend of mine worked in Steak & Shake's main office in Indy for several years. He's told me how that outfit "makes its sausage," so to speak. It was telling to me that when I went to Indy for his wedding, he refused to eat at S&S following my suggestion, even though he's the ultimate "good for the company guy" and we were dropping into various spots for fast food.

MannyIsGod
07-30-2006, 05:42 PM
What makes their shakes so great? I've never had one.

Mel, Olmos Pharmacy is still open. We live close to and I've gone a few times and I've had a shake there. It was OK.

Extra Stout
07-30-2006, 05:54 PM
The hell it is.

Indiana St Louis, the midwest.

Thats where Steak and Shake was born.

The midwest.

The midwest along with Texas and parts of the south.

The REAL America.
Midwest = Yankees

Extra Stout
07-30-2006, 05:56 PM
First it was Panera Bread, which is just St. Louis Bread Company in disguise.

Now it's Steak 'N' Shake.

Next it will be Bob Evans.

Before long, toasted ravioli will be a "trendy" appetizer.

We have to take a stand somewhere.

StylisticS
07-30-2006, 06:13 PM
Midwest = Yankees

That means Kansans are Yankees then.

Steak N Shake is alright. It's not great. I only go for the shakes now , though. Because their burgers are nasty. They take FOREVA to make shakes, though. So for first timers, be patient if ordering a shake. It really does take them that long to make it.

leemajors
07-30-2006, 06:14 PM
i'll take a blizzard over a shake anyday!

leemajors
07-30-2006, 06:16 PM
That means Kansans are Yankees then.

Steak N Shake is alright. It's not great. I only go for the shakes now , though. Because their burgers are nasty. They take FOREVA to make shakes, though. So for first timers, be patient if ordering a shake. It really does take them that long to make it.

making shakes is a shitty ass job, part of the reason i quit working behind the bar at the alamo drafthouse in austin. it takes a few minutes to do it right. i would make mine with 3-4 scoops of amy's ice cream and some whole milk. no runny stuff. they did get these chocolate and candy covered sunflower seeds from central market to put on top, i ate a lot of those.

davi78239
07-30-2006, 07:21 PM
Try Freddy's Frozen Custard and SteakBurgers in the Forum Shopping Center. I'm sure that place comes close to a Steak and Shake for now. It's really good food and the ice cream or custard I should say is great. We live on Walzem and we travel 15 minutes away just to go through the drive thru and pick it up. The place is always packed so I wouldn't doubt that they will be building more around town.

exstatic
07-30-2006, 07:42 PM
What makes their shakes so great? I've never had one.

Mel, Olmos Pharmacy is still open. We live close to and I've gone a few times and I've had a shake there. It was OK.

To me, there are three components to a great shake:

1) taste. quality ice cream must be used
2) thickness. must be a thick shake
3) creaminess. must be creamy enough to draw up thru a straw and still meet criteria #2.

As for Olmos Pharmacy, I think I read that the older woman who managed the counter is now the owner, and that it is no longer a pharmacy. I know the long time owner was trying to sell the whole shebang for ages, at least a couple of years. I understand why it was difficult. It's a niche/boutique product: the pharmacy with a lunch counter.

Buddy Holly
07-30-2006, 11:18 PM
Steak 'N Shake is planned for The Rim as well as a second San Antonio Cheesecake Factory.

And as mentioned in another thread a third Ruth's Chris Steak House is opening up in a new development off of 1604 and Huebner.