PDA

View Full Version : Gooden To Lakers?

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-30-2006, 03:06 PM
According to this website (http://www.benmaller.com/#nba_rumors_notes) the trade will be Gooden for Mihm and George. George still hasn't officially signed with the Mavs so this could be a possibiltiy. This is the same website that said the Clips and Nuggets will start the hseason in the other thread.

ChumpDumper
07-30-2006, 03:09 PM
:lmao it's a link to hoopsworld!

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-30-2006, 03:18 PM
Holy Shit.

ChumpDumper
07-30-2006, 03:21 PM
It's ok man -- it's just that the Lakers have been trading for just about every top PF nonstop for the past two years.

JamStone
07-30-2006, 03:49 PM
It's my understanding that if you sign-and-trade a player, you cannot package that player with another player to match salaries and consumate the deal. Devean George being a free agent is not the property of the Lakers unless he signs. You cannot sign-and-trade George in a package with Chris Mihm. It would have to be a straight up deal, George for Gooden.

That's how I understand sign-and-trade deals.

ChumpDumper
07-30-2006, 03:50 PM
I sure you could do that - remember the Grant Hill trade? Well, everyone signed-and-traded themselves in that one. There were existing salaries in the Hedo/Ferry/Mercer/Miller deal; Miller was the only guy who S&T'd

JamStone
07-30-2006, 04:00 PM
Grant Hill wasn't packaged with anyone. The other side of the trade was Ben Wallace and Chucky Atkins. They were both under contract. That's the difference.

And, for Brad Miller, same thing. He was signed-and-traded, but he wasn't packaged with anyone from the Pacers. I'm talking about players who are being signed-and-traded, not what they get in return.

ChumpDumper
07-30-2006, 04:13 PM
I thought Ben and Chucky were S&T'd as well.

ChumpDumper
07-30-2006, 04:22 PM
Anyway, Darrell Armstrong just got S&T'd to Indiana with two other players, so :p

JamStone
07-30-2006, 04:34 PM
Darrell Armstrong had one year left on his contract at a team option.

ChumpDumper
07-30-2006, 04:36 PM
You might want to tell the Mavericks about that.

The Dallas Mavericks announced today that they have signed and traded guard Darrell Armstrong to the Indiana Pacers for guard Anthony Johnson. Forward Josh Powell and guard/forward Rawle Marshall and were also included in the deal to Indiana.

http://www.nba.com/mavericks/news/mavs_trade072406.html

JamStone
07-30-2006, 04:41 PM
Yeah, I should tell them. Curious, but ok. Sometime, I'll get into the CBA and try to find where the rules for S&T are. I'll try to find what I'm talking about.

Because you gotta think, Armstrong would have to agree to the sign-and-trade. And, would he have? Haven't reports basically stated the Pacers aren't going to be keeping Armstrong? Why would you agree to that if you're Armstrong?

ChumpDumper
07-30-2006, 04:46 PM
Armstrong was quoted as saying he was doing what was best for his family, so I imagine he is getting some guaranteed money out of the deal even if he gets bought out and waived. If anyone still wants him after that, there's another million in his pocket.

Sportcamper
07-31-2006, 11:47 AM
Devean is not under contract to the Lakers...
Mihm just had his 2nd knee surgery last week....

I have no idea who Gooden is...Does he play basketball or is he a trainer...Because the Lakers are in need of Doctors & trainers more than anything... :smokin

mabber
07-31-2006, 12:15 PM
Armstrong was quoted as saying he was doing what was best for his family, so I imagine he is getting some guaranteed money out of the deal even if he gets bought out and waived. If anyone still wants him after that, there's another million in his pocket.

Everything that I've read, points toward the Pacers keeping Armstrong and waiving Powell & Marshall. Armstrong is a good locker room guy and if the Pacers can live with him being the #3 point guard then I'm sure Bird would like him around. Anthony Johnson said that a change was needed in the culture & attitudes of that team. And, supposedly, Croshere & AJ were two of the "good" guys to have around so Armstrong might be needed.

ChumpDumper
07-31-2006, 05:41 PM
I'm a little surprised they are keeping Armstrong, but as long as they stay under the tax threshold, it makes sense.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-31-2006, 06:22 PM
Devean is not under contract to the Lakers...
Mihm just had his 2nd knee surgery last week....

I have no idea who Gooden is...Does he play basketball or is he a trainer...Because the Lakers are in need of Doctors & trainers more than anything... :smokin
If you don't know who Gooden is, I'm amazed you know who Mihm and George is.

Sportcamper
08-01-2006, 09:32 AM
Now that I have amazed you....Can you please tell me what a “Gooden” is?

G-Money
08-02-2006, 11:23 PM
I thought the idea of rebuilding a team was to make them better. :rolleyes