PDA

View Full Version : David Robinson, Tim Duncan or Gervin? who's the best Spur of all time?

Corey8
07-31-2006, 03:17 AM
Is it Iceman Gervin? Mr. Fundamental or Davido?

TDMVPDPOY
07-31-2006, 03:27 AM
without fundamental = no rings = spurs reallocation to another city

Corey8
07-31-2006, 03:31 AM
So in you're humble opinion David couldn't win a ring without Tim Duncan does that mean Tim Duncan is better them David? btw, the Spurs never build a team around David his 2nd best player was Sean Elliot.

if he ever had a star or atleast the players Duncan has right now i Guarantee you he would've win some Championships.

Leetonidas
07-31-2006, 03:32 AM
Tim Duncan.

themvp
07-31-2006, 03:32 AM
Tim Duncan No.1

RC's Boss
07-31-2006, 03:38 AM
Tim

Corey8
07-31-2006, 03:47 AM
So you guys don't think a young David Robinson would lead this current line-up to a Championship without Tim duncan?

dav4463
07-31-2006, 04:09 AM
I'm old enough to have seen the Iceman play. He was unbelievable. The 79 team had a real chance to win a title. I still have a Gervin poster in my house (the one where he is sitting on the blocks of ice!). David is the greatest role model that the Spurs or the entire NBA could ever have and he ranks right up there with the best...........BUT......In the Tim Duncan era, NO TEAM in any sport has won like the Spurs have since Duncan arrived. Tim is the greatest. Gervin and Robinson are 1A and 1B.

carina_gino20
07-31-2006, 04:19 AM
Tim Duncan

Texas_Ranger
07-31-2006, 06:08 AM
Duncan.

Duncan21
07-31-2006, 06:24 AM
100% Tim Duncan

Gummi
07-31-2006, 06:32 AM
Tim Duncan has brought so much to the city of San Antonio and the Spurs organization. Not that David or Gervin didn't, but in the Duncan era no team has won more and no team has been more consistant.

Gervin put the Spurs on the map in his days, David helped the Spurs stay in San Antonio and Duncan helped the Spurs win titles. All are great but the best has to be Tim Duncan.

TDMVPDPOY
07-31-2006, 06:37 AM
tim duncan built this city on rock n roll!!!

flipcritic
07-31-2006, 06:57 AM
In terms of winning: Tim Duncan.

In terms of value to the franchise, I'm not so sure. I'm not from San Antonio (I'm from the Philippines), but I know how David Robinson virtually saved the franchise.

exstatic
07-31-2006, 07:54 AM
On the court? Definitely Tim. He burns for basketball like few in the league do.

Off the court? David, by a mile. He's saved the franchise twice, once by taking a new contract at a fixed salary when his had been a floating computation of the top couple of salaries, leaguewide, and another time by talking to Tim when he was being courted by Orlando. Basketball did always seem like a hobby to him, though, albeit one that pays very well, and allowed him to set up the Carver Academy.

GrandeDavid
07-31-2006, 08:06 AM
Duncan. No contest.

Russ
07-31-2006, 08:17 AM
Tim Duncan was the best (i.e., influenced the bottom line the most).

Gervin was the most exciting player to watch.

Robinson probably had the most natural ability.

sanman53
07-31-2006, 08:37 AM
David Robinson

davi78239
07-31-2006, 08:43 AM
Tim Duncan

What game was that where Ginobili was all hyped up like that?

AFBlue
07-31-2006, 08:55 AM
Gotta see Duncan finish his career, but it's hard to argue him already not being the best.

conqueso
07-31-2006, 09:09 AM
without fundamental = no rings = spurs reallocation to another city

without Ice = Spurs can't make transition to NBA as a financially viable franchise = Spurs go bankrupt

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-31-2006, 09:46 AM
"Best" is such a nebulous term. As far as basketball skills go then I'd say Tim. If you factor in off court stuff then David takes the lead. But if you're talking about selling high quality Fords at low, low prices then it's gotta be the Iceman.

judaspriestess
07-31-2006, 09:55 AM
They have all been the "best" player respectively during their tenures.

Each one brought/brings something special.

Ocotillo
07-31-2006, 10:18 AM
Is Tony Parker the best point guard in Spurs history already?

spurs=bling
07-31-2006, 10:24 AM
Timothy Theodore Duncan

ALVAREZ6
07-31-2006, 10:37 AM
Tim Duncan.

waly.mg
07-31-2006, 11:28 AM
Ring Countdown

Tim Duncan 2 and Counting
DRob 1
Iceman 0

Gummi
07-31-2006, 12:00 PM
Actually waly.mg it's 3 for Duncan and 2 for David.

Rogbok
07-31-2006, 02:01 PM
It really depends at what you mean by best. If you are referring to best basketball player, then I think it has to be Tim. If you are referring to best Spur, then it has to be David because of his overall status with the Spurs and what he did for them and such. All in all, I think Gervin ranks below those 2 anyways.

smdanss
07-31-2006, 02:23 PM
Tim #1

wildbill2u
07-31-2006, 02:28 PM
Is it Iceman Gervin? Mr. Fundamental or Davido?

Duncan best all-around player
Robinson best player/citizen--but close in all around talent.
Gervin most exciting

I hate to make these comparisons because each has meant so much to the franchise. Choosing one over the other seems disloyal.

Beer is Good
07-31-2006, 02:31 PM
Is Tony Parker the best point guard in Spurs history already?
How many Spurs' PG have made even one all star team?

ObiwanGinobili
07-31-2006, 02:38 PM
On the court? Definitely Tim. He burns for basketball like few in the league do.

Off the court? David, by a mile. He's saved the franchise twice, once by taking a new contract at a fixed salary when his had been a floating computation of the top couple of salaries, leaguewide, and another time by talking to Tim when he was being courted by Orlando. Basketball did always seem like a hobby to him, though, albeit one that pays very well, and allowed him to set up the Carver Academy.

exactly.
I'm real late, exstatic said just what I was gonna.

RobinsontoDuncan
07-31-2006, 03:36 PM
David Robinson

Beaverfuzz
07-31-2006, 03:53 PM
Best Spur of All Time?

Easy

Lloyd Daniels

Zarko was better than Lloyd. So was Walter Berry.

Spurs rock
07-31-2006, 04:07 PM
David Robinson

AdmiralMVP
07-31-2006, 04:15 PM
As much as it pains me to say it, Duncan is the better overall basketball player. Robinson was by far the better athlete in his prime, but Duncan is well, the big fundamental, and seems to take and make the big shots. I'm not so sure Robinson had that desire to be a leader, at least a vocal one.

tlongII
07-31-2006, 04:21 PM
Vinny Del Negro

photoguy
07-31-2006, 04:31 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/avatars/avaspur.bmp

ATX Spur
07-31-2006, 04:32 PM
timmy

Mavs_man_41
07-31-2006, 04:32 PM
Robinson

dbreiden83080
07-31-2006, 05:00 PM
The answer is and should always be Duncan. Robinson was a great player but he was on plenty of really good SA teams that won a lot of games and were expecting to do something in the playoffs and they never even got to the finals. It is not like he had to deal with MJ and the Bulls every year like Ewing and the Knicks did. Great player but will never be viewed in Tim's class because without Tim he never would have won a thing.

Mavs_man_41
07-31-2006, 05:06 PM
The answer is and should always be Duncan. Robinson was a great player but he was on plenty of really good SA teams that won a lot of games and were expecting to do something in the playoffs and they never even got to the finals. It is not like he had to deal with MJ and the Bulls every year like Ewing and the Knicks did. Great player but will never be viewed in Tim's class because without Tim he never would have won a thing.

That's one way of looking at it. On the other hand, dont you think Robinson is his prime could win championships if he had the supporting cast Duncan has? Im 100% sure that Robinson could win a championship with the help of manu ginobili, tony parker, and many experienced veterans such as horry and finley on the bench.

Mavs_man_41
07-31-2006, 05:06 PM
^ personally i think it should be a tie.

dbreiden83080
07-31-2006, 05:08 PM
That's one way of looking at it. On the other hand, dont you think Robinson is his prime could win championships if he had the supporting cast Duncan has? Im 100% sure that Robinson could win a championship with the help of manu ginobili, tony parker, and many experienced veterans such as horry and finley on the bench.

I think he could have won a championship but 3 i can't see that.

GoSpurs21
07-31-2006, 05:44 PM
its a toss up between Tim and David, I dont think Tim would have won any championships during Jordan hey day and with the line up David had,

But I gotta go with David, even though Tim's overall game is better than Big Dave, 50 was sooooo much funner to watch. Timmy's game is boring compared to David's.

jman3000
07-31-2006, 05:47 PM
I haven't read the whole thread... but saying Sean Elliot being the 2nd best player on the Spurs during David's early run shouldnt be seen as a bad thing. He was an all star and kicked all sorts of ass as a younger player.

duncan2k5
07-31-2006, 06:35 PM
timmy...dude is a silent assassin. the most underrated superstar in the NBA. people always attribute his success to having good players around him, to that i say: were they good before they came on the team? no one projected manu and tony to become all stars. they were groomed under duncan's greatness. its not as if they traded to get good players around him like miami heat did. i dont know if you guys understand what im tryin to say...

The III
07-31-2006, 07:09 PM
IceTimDuncanMan

exstatic
07-31-2006, 08:35 PM
Isn't it nice to be able to have this argument over a HOF player and two shoo ins?

:elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant

joeyjfive
07-31-2006, 11:01 PM
1.Tim Duncan
2.David Robinson
3.George Gervin

pjjrfan
07-31-2006, 11:54 PM
Well, without Drob there would be no SA spurs, and without Tim there wouldn't be any rings. As far as talent and impact on the game itself, it's Tim hands down. But David's impact went beyond basketball, as did Ice. They set up the foundation that has enabled us the fans to enjoy the last 9 seasons with some incredible highs, as in 3 titles.

MrChug
08-01-2006, 11:10 AM
David is a SAN ANTONIO icon. :sombrero:
Tim is a SPURS BASKETBALL icon. :flag:
Gervin is a WEED SMOKING icon. :smokin

SpursWillOwn
08-01-2006, 11:20 AM
How many Spurs' PG have made even one all star team?

avery johnson.. Houston 2006 All-Star Coach Western Conference

TDMVPDPOY
08-01-2006, 01:37 PM
avery johnson.. Houston 2006 All-Star Coach Western Conference

tony parker made it last season to the AS team which imo wasnt warranted!!!

Leetonidas
08-01-2006, 02:11 PM
You could also look at it this way.

If you put Tim Duncan on any team that misses the playoffs, they would make them.

You can't say the same for David or the Ice Man.

remingtonbo2001
08-01-2006, 02:22 PM
Tim OR David....This is a brilliant question, at the least, well overdue. David was far superior with regard to pure athleticism. If you disagree go back and watch film of David during his first couple seasons. It was absolutely sick. A fusion of Bill Russell and Admire Stoudamire, plus the 15ft jumper. I have never, to this day, seen someone as athletically gifted as David. God truely blessed him. Also remember David did not enter the league until 24. David managed to score 71 points, albiet, the last game of the season to steal the scoring title from Shaq. Yeah, okay, it came against the Clippers, but still, it's 71. A great feat would be the Quadruple Double. That's amazing. Jordan himself couldn't even acomplish that. Tim is the complete opposite. His game is more predominate on a FLOW system, various moves with a unique timing, rhythm. Similiar in theory to Manu's playing style. It's very effective. I think the fact that Tim grew up swimming, might attribute to his smooth nature of his game. He has a very unique timing. I could see how the transistion from swimming to basketball would be fairly easy, in terms of the basic fundementals. Tim's game is focused more upon a team concept, whearas David was asked to carry the Spurs on his shoulders. That's just too much for one man. Better question to ask would have been; Could Tim have won a title with the supporting cast David was given in his early years? Cadalliac Anderson, Willie Anderson, TOM COPA for cryin' out loud. Tom Copa!!!! Oh, wait, ROD STRICKLAND. I mean come on folks, the list could go on. Oh, if only both good have played together during their primes. Move over Jordan and Scottie. That would have been sick. All in all, DAVID is a superior individual player, wheras Tim has a more complete all-around team game.

ambchang
08-01-2006, 03:02 PM
You could also look at it this way.

If you put Tim Duncan on any team that misses the playoffs, they would make them.

You can say it for David. J.R. Reid, Vinny Del Negro, over the hill Chuck Person, Negele Knight, Lloyd Daniels, Antoine Carr ... any team with these guys as starters should not make the playoffs, let alone win the division.

my2sons
08-01-2006, 04:05 PM
Take it another notch...Who was your first favorite Spurs player...Captain Late James Silas was my first Spurs hero. I still remember when he got traded to the cadavers, very sad day. I believe David will always be my all time favorite spur, at least until timmy finishes out his career.

remingtonbo2001
08-01-2006, 05:21 PM
You can say it for David. J.R. Reid, Vinny Del Negro, over the hill Chuck Person, Negele Knight, Lloyd Daniels, Antoine Carr ... any team with these guys as starters should not make the playoffs, let alone win the division.

AMEN!!! :lol

remingtonbo2001
08-01-2006, 05:23 PM
Don't forget about Uwa Bleb.....I really can't comment, it's just too easy.....Poor guy....Uwa?...Sounds like the noise you make when your.......

whottt
08-01-2006, 09:07 PM

That's absolutely false about David...not only did a David Robinson lead team never miss the playoffs, they never finished lower than second in their division.

That's in 13 full seasons....Exactly one other player in NBA history that can make that claim....Magic Johnson.

Not Kareem
Not Shaq
Not Hakeem
Not Jordan
Not Wilt
Not even Bill Russell

No one but David Robinson and Magic Johnson...

And Magic's teams were a hell of a lot more talented than David Robinson's.

Oh yeah...only one other guy in NBA history won a scoring title, a DPOY award, and an MVP...

Michael Jordan.

David Robinson is so fucking under-rated it isn't even funny.

And I have serious doubts about whether or not Tim Duncan could have won 50+ games with the 93-94 Spurs. He wouldn't have if he had a year like this past one on that team.

People can make the unprovable claim that others guys wanted to win more than David Robinson...they can give individuals complete credit for team achievements and site rings....

But no one can say fucking David Robinson couldn't carry a team as good as any player that ever stepped foot on a basketball court in NBA history.

The performance of his teams(when individual dominace is more of a factor than in the playoffs) prove this...

His ability to lead the league or his team in vastly different categories comparable to only like 2 others guy in NBA history...

Kareem Abduul Jabbar and Michael Jordan

To fill the holes on teams without points guard or shooting guards....

Proves this beyond all doubt.

So don't ever say David Robinson could not get a bad team to the playoffs...he did it better than any player in NBA history...

You can most definitely say the same for David...in fact you can say it about him before you can say it about Duncan.

milkyway21
08-01-2006, 11:47 PM
Tim Duncan=:bling :bling :bling