PDA

View Full Version : Tigers aquire Sean Casey

DarkReign
07-31-2006, 09:20 AM
...for pitching prospect Brian Rogers.

Tigers also optioned 1B Chris Shelton to AAA.

----

To me, this is more or less a non-move. Shelton has been struggling mightily. Soriano is tad overrated, IMO. Its a good consistent stick at 1B.

Meh. No biggie.

EDITED: Looking at Casey's numbers, this is little more than meets the eye. This guy has ZERO power. None. Nada. But he does hit well (high avg). I guess this is proof positive that the Tigers feel that Dimitri is their answer to the left-handed stick.

Now, if we could just aquire Maddux and solidify that 3 man rotation...

Vizzini
07-31-2006, 10:58 AM
I saw a stat on another website that had Casey's and Shelton's averages with men in scoring position, Shelton was around .230 and Casey was slightly over .300, which means Casey isn't nearly the rally/big inning killer that Shelton is.

DarkReign
07-31-2006, 11:04 AM
...which means Casey isn't nearly the rally/big inning killer that Shelton is.

Truly, was there anyone better at ruining a good thing than Shelton?

Man on 3rd, 1 out, Shelton strikes out. Nice sac fly, nimrod.

Solid D
07-31-2006, 11:12 AM
Interesting how Shelton could do no wrong the first couple of months of the season and now it's...Chris who?

Vizzini
07-31-2006, 11:27 AM
Interesting how Shelton could do no wrong the first couple of months of the season and now it's...Chris who?

No one knew how to pitch to him at the start of the season, and once they figured out that he will chase horrible pitches when he is behind in the count, he became very marginal. The scouting report got out on him and the pichers adjusted, and he failed to adjust to their adjustments. I guess the Tigs have a hitting guru at their AAA team who is going to try and help him start swinging the stick like he was at the start of the year.

Marklar MM
07-31-2006, 12:06 PM
if you have 2 strikes on him, throw a fastball letter high. Guaranteed strike out.

Burn531
07-31-2006, 01:08 PM
:tu I like this deal and I like Shelton going down to Toledo.

slayermin
07-31-2006, 05:33 PM
I saw a stat on another website that had Casey's and Shelton's averages with men in scoring position, Shelton was around .230 and Casey was slightly over .300, which means Casey isn't nearly the rally/big inning killer that Shelton is.

I have always liked Casey. His career batting average in RISP situations is .317.

jochhejaam
07-31-2006, 10:33 PM
Shelton also struggled in the field while Casey is a career .995 fielder.

Shelton over the last 2 1/2 months was striking out more than 1 in every 4 at bats, Casey strikes out on average 1 in every 9 at bats.

Casey's OBP of .371 puts him 2nd behind Granderson.

Big plus for the Tigers IMO by eliminating their weakest link.

Dunc
07-31-2006, 11:18 PM
Fantastic move. They didn't lose anything, and they picked up a solid hitter for average. And now Shelton will get some time to get things back in order in a way that won't cost the team like he has for the past couple months. This is a great move.

DarkReign
08-01-2006, 09:58 AM
soriano is not overrated anymore

Yeah, I just looked at his numbers. Pretty damn sick.... But for the Tigers, Placido Palanco was the very first piece to this turn-around.

Soriano wants to play 2nd only. That (for me) removes him from trade talk with the Tigers.

T Park
08-01-2006, 05:44 PM
I don't get how everyone can say how Sean Casey is just a mild move.

Casey is a stud first baseman....

FreshPrince22
08-01-2006, 08:18 PM
Casey with an RBI single in his 1st AB as a Tiger and a Homer (only his 4th of the year) in his 3rd. Nice!

jochhejaam
08-01-2006, 08:37 PM
Casey with an RBI single in his 1st AB as a Tiger and a Homer (only his 4th of the year) in his 3rd. Nice!
Great debut! And the new kid Clevlan is impressing too.

FreshPrince22
08-01-2006, 08:42 PM
And the new kid Clevlan is impressing too.

indeed he is.

ABDENOUR POWER
08-01-2006, 09:11 PM
I give this deal my stamp of approval. :tu

slayermin
08-01-2006, 09:13 PM
I have Pudge and Carlos Guillen on my fantasy team. Guillen is a stud for a SS.

Marklar MM
08-01-2006, 09:20 PM
Shiet. Allen is amazing. "If Lugo throws this kid a fastball, he may have the 2nd home run of his career."-in reference to Clevlan.

2 fast balls later...2nd career home run. He predicts everything.

jochhejaam
08-01-2006, 09:39 PM
Shiet. Allen is amazing. "If Lugo throws this kid a fastball, he may have the 2nd home run of his career."-in reference to Clevlan.

2 fast balls later...2nd career home run. He predicts everything.
I've been talking to a co-worker about Allen's propensity for calling plays. He's an excellent analyst. Great broadcasting team with him and Impemba.

Marklar MM
08-01-2006, 10:46 PM
^I remember early in the year with a guy on 2nd or 3rd and Guillen up in the bottom of the 9th/10th/11th. One of those innings with the score tied. Said if there is anything over the plate, Guillen was going to get an RBI. The next pitch, Guillen hits the ball to right field for game winner.

slayermin
08-02-2006, 02:34 AM
I like the Dodgers but if they don't make the playoffs, I might jump on the Tiger bandwagon. I like the way ya'lls team was built. I have always respected Jim Leyland. And I love to watch that kid Zumaya pitch. He has some attitude. I can't wait until he becomes your closer.

Marklar MM
08-02-2006, 09:28 AM
And I love to watch that kid Zumaya pitch. He has some attitude. I can't wait until he becomes your closer.

According to ChiSox fans, he also has no class because he pumps his fast after an inning ending strike out.

jochhejaam
08-02-2006, 11:57 AM
According to ChiSox fans, he also has no class because he pumps his fast after an inning ending strike out.
Fans will be fans. What bothered me is the whining by the Chicago players. Zumaya had a big strikeout to end the inning against our top competitor that had whipped on us pretty good up until then. I may have wondered what was going on if he hadn't shown emotion. It's not like he was staring down the player he struck out.

DarkReign
08-02-2006, 12:44 PM
I've been talking to a co-worker about Allen's propensity for calling plays. He's an excellent analyst. Great broadcasting team with him and Impemba.

OMG! I always thought I was the only one!

Rod Allen will go national soon. The man is a fucking clairvoyant. Not only that, until about mid-way thru 2004, I had never watched baseball. Out of boredom I started watching. Rod Allen explains the subtlties of the game better than anyone I have ever met in my life. A person couldnt explain a double-switch any better in person than he does on TV.

Hes an excellent announcer. I enjoy the words he chooses as well. Mario isnt half bad either, but Rod is the star, no question.

DarkReign
08-02-2006, 12:47 PM
And just to stay on topic, Casey couldnt have had a better debut. Fuck Abreu's 0-4 15 pitch walk-or-whatever.

Clevelen looks like the real deal. Mind you, I said looks, not is. Lets see him play semi-regularly in clutch situations. But so far...whew...this kid has an arm like Inge.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
08-02-2006, 12:55 PM
Guillen hits for the cycle, Verlander wins his ML leading 14th, Utley extends his hit streak to 33 and ESPN decides that Abreu drawing a walk is their lead story? Unfuckingbelievable.

Marklar MM
08-02-2006, 12:57 PM
Gullen hits for the cycle, Verlander wins his ML leading 14th, Utley extends his hit streak to 33 and ESPN decides that Abreu drawing a walk is their lead story? Unfuckingbelievable.

It is the YANKEES...YANKEES and Red Sox are high and above everyone else and deserve all coverage in the eyes of ESPN.

08-02-2006, 01:03 PM
I know what it is, and it gets worse with each passing day. They compared Ortiz to MJ last night. A guy who doesn't play in the field at all to the greatest player in his sport. Seriously, are they high?

They should just call it the YESNESN network during the summer and be done with it.

jochhejaam
08-02-2006, 01:21 PM
OMG! I always thought I was the only one!

Rod Allen will go national soon.
That's my fear. Allen wouldn't, couldn't, shouldn't pass up the opportunity when or if it comes. Of course George Kell and Ernie Harwell were awesome sportscasters too IMO and they stayed true to the Tigers.

I have no idea what the payscale is for National broadcasters vs single team broadcasters.

It's nice to have excellent sportscasters and an excellent team at the same.

jochhejaam
08-02-2006, 01:23 PM
Guillen hits for the cycle, Verlander wins his ML leading 14th, Utley extends his hit streak to 33 and ESPN decides that Abreu drawing a walk is their lead story? Unfuckingbelievable.
But did you actually see the walk? It was phenomenal! :lol

Vizzini
08-02-2006, 01:39 PM
ESPN f'n sux! Now, we get a lead story of Bill Simmons comparing which Boston athlete was more clutch, Bird or Ortiz, and we get a chance to vote on it. Does anyone outside of the Northeast really give a crap about which Boston athlete was more clutch? What an f'n joke.

DarkReign
08-02-2006, 02:27 PM
ESPN f'n sux! Now, we get a lead story of Bill Simmons comparing which Boston athlete was more clutch, Bird or Ortiz, and we get a chance to vote on it. Does anyone outside of the Northeast really give a crap about which Boston athlete was more clutch? What an f'n joke.

Waaaaaah! East coast bias! j/k

I agree completely mind you, but it stopped bothering me after I watched the Tigers ascend to the top of both leagues. They are one of the greatest story in baseball in decades. 2 years ago they are fighting tooth and nail to not lose 120 games and break a dubious record.

Rags to riches, yet Abreu's OBP percentage goes up on an 0-4 night is news.

08-02-2006, 04:26 PM
But did you actually see the walk? It was phenomenal! :lol

Best 9 pitch AB. Ever.

tlongII
08-02-2006, 05:51 PM
Hopefully the Tigers won't end up like the Mariners in 2001. One of the greatest regular seasons of all time got ruined by the effing Yankees in the ALCS.

DarkReign
08-02-2006, 06:58 PM
Hopefully the Tigers won't end up like the Mariners in 2001. One of the greatest regular seasons of all time got ruined by the effing Yankees in the ALCS.

We in Tiger land could really care less. 13 straight losing seasons...if they win the pennant, everything else is gravy.

tlongII
08-02-2006, 07:30 PM
We in Tiger land could really care less. 13 straight losing seasons...if they win the pennant, everything else is gravy.

You will be singing a different tune if you make it to the ALCS.

DarkReign
08-03-2006, 08:33 AM
You will be singing a different tune if you make it to the ALCS.

Absolutely true.