PDA

View Full Version : Ellis: Brown Looks To Take Next Step

Kori Ellis
10-21-2004, 01:43 AM
Brown Looks To Take Next Step

http://cctvimedia.clearchannel.com/woai/box_devin_brown_2.jpg

By Kori Ellis
SpursZONE.com

Devin Brown had his coming out party against the Los Angeles Lakers in front of the world in last year’s playoffs. Now Brown is ready for the next step -– becoming a valuable everyday player for the Spurs.

This summer, Brown put in overtime in the gym including spending part of his summer playing on the Spurs’ summer league team. Equipped with an improved work habit and even more self-belief, Brown is ready to take a step forward in his NBA career. To do so, Brown has a plan to take a step back -– to behind the three-point line.

“That’s something you are going to see me doing this year,” said Brown, who grew up in San Antonio and attended UTSA. “I’ll be taking a lot of threes. I have confidence in it and a lot of them are going to go down.”

With the Spurs predicating their offense around an inside-out attack, Brown should be even more useful if he can hit from beyond the arc. While he did show a great midrange jumper last year, adding range to his shot should help spread the floor for his teammates and keep him on the court.

“If I’m going to be out there on the court, I’ve got to knock down those threes,” admitted Brown after the preseason game against the Phoenix Suns where he totaled nine points, five rebounds and three assists in 24 minutes. “I was one for three but I felt good on all three of them.”

Brown understands that with the addition of Brent Barry and the furthering development of Manu Ginobili, it will be necessary for him to fight for playing time. And while he had success in the playoffs, that doesn’t guarantee anything for this season.

“When you get minutes on the floor, you have to appreciate them,” said Brown, who last season averaged 10.8 minutes per game. “Last year I barely saw the floor, so the minutes I got I had to appreciate them. It will be the same thing this year. When I get out there, I’m going to appreciate the minutes that I get and play hard every night.”

If Brown does indeed garner more playing time this season, his energy off the bench will help alleviate the energy lost with Ginobili moving into the starting lineup. Although he’s only 6-foot-5, Brown’s strength, toughness and willingness to scrap will allow him to play small forward behind Bruce Bowen.

While not lacking any confidence, Brown realizes the work ahead for the team if they hope to achieve the lofty expectations put on them by fans and league pundits alike.

“We’re not going to wait for anyone to do something for us, we are going to go out there and take it. We have the type of guys on this team that can do that and that is what the coaches expect out of us. It’s going to take some time to get the chemistry down but everyone can play hard and that’s what the coaches want out of us, so that’s what we are going to do.

“Teams are reading the papers and teams are reading the hype. They believe in all that, so they are going to come after us. But that’s alright, once the reason rolls around we’ll take care of business.”

Kori Ellis
10-21-2004, 01:55 AM
“That’s something you are going to see me doing this year,” said Brown, who grew up in San Antonio and attended UTSA. “I’ll be taking a lot of threes. I have confidence in it and a lot of them are going to go down.”

I was a little surprised when Devin said that. I knew he was trying to extend his range, but I didn't know that he was confident enough to take them often. If Devin develops a good 3-point shot, they'll have to give him regular minutes.

timvp
10-21-2004, 01:59 AM
Devin is going to be money this year.

Expect big things.

wildbill2u
10-22-2004, 08:26 PM

Expect big things.
I totally agree. I really like his athleticism and attitude. I think he will be one of those players who works on his game and improves something each year.

devinbrowns_gurl
10-23-2004, 03:03 PM
Yup Devin Is My Baby!! I Think He Is A Good Player For This Team An Sets A Great Example Of Atheletic Ability. He Came Straight Outa Sa-town An Works Hard And Is Ready To Play.n Hes A Great Asset To Tha Team . Go Devin !! Watch Out For Devin Brown!!

Nikos
10-23-2004, 04:39 PM

Expect big things.

It seems like he could do some nice things.

But realistically, isn't there too much of a logjam, especially if Beno becomes THE backup PG? It would basically be a three men merry go round at the 2/3 spots with Barry, Gino, Bowen as it has been the past two years with Jax/Hedo with Bowen and Manu.

Will Devin even get a chance to play 10mpg+?

MI21
10-24-2004, 08:25 AM
I love Devin's confident attitude in this article. He has all the tools to become a solid NBA player and he seems to believe he can, which is cool. Becoming one of my favourite Spurs.